The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 May 2014, 10:37 AM   #1
ses4me
"TRF" Member

Pelagos HE valve skews pressure test?

I recently bought a used Pelagos, which apparently has no warranty left (can't tell for sure because the warranty card wasn't filled out). Before exposing it to water, I decided to get it pressure tested at the watch store in the mall. The watch store says it failed the pressure test. Could this be due to the HE valve skewing the test?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ses4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2014, 10:39 AM   #2
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
No. Not likely.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2014, 10:44 AM   #3
RollieVerde
Banned

What type of pressure test did they do exactly? If they pressurized the case and then watched for bubbles as they pumped out the chamber, the valve may have opened to equalize the case pressure as it's designed to let any are molecules escape when the case pressure exceeds the ambient pressure. This is actually an interesting question. Did the person performing the test say it was leaking from the He valve itself?
RollieVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2014, 11:01 AM   #4
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieVerde View Post
What type of pressure test did they do exactly? If they pressurized the case and then watched for bubbles as they pumped out the chamber, the valve may have opened to equalize the case pressure as it's designed to let any are molecules escape when the case pressure exceeds the ambient pressure. This is actually an interesting question. Did the person performing the test say it was leaking from the He valve itself?
Yeah, the HEV is designed to equalize the pressure but unless there was a leak how would the pressure build up inside the case to begin with during a routine pressure test? In saturation diving when the diver is in say a bell breathing a mixture of gas that includes helium, helium can get into the case, and during resurfacing this causes the pressure in the case to exceed that outside it. So the valve opens to release the helium.

Very curious...
Old 6 May 2014, 11:14 AM   #5
ses4me
"TRF" Member

It was just one of those glass bells in which they build up air pressure. I've since dropped the watch off at the AD to get a second pressure test since I don't fully trust the mall watch store's test.

Old 6 May 2014, 12:09 PM   #6
RollieVerde
Banned

The "safe" method of pressure testing involves pressurizing the watch above ambient pressure, putting it in the liquid, and then reducing the pressure in the container so that if the seals on the watch leak, bubbles are produced. This way, the watch is at a higher pressure than the surrounding liquid so the bubbles show where the leak is but water can't get in and damage the watch. It's exactly the opposite of what happens when the watch is submerged in the diving process, where ambient pressure is greater than the pressure in the watch. What T. Ferguson said is exactly correct on the how the He valve is designed to function. This is why your theory on the valve causing the "failure" may be spot on, depending on the type of test used. On the other hand, the valve is another potential place for the watch to leak. This is why I'd never get a dive watch w/ an He valve unless I was going saturation diving. I usually don't even push the tables that often anyway, as I get very bored during decompression stops.
Old 6 May 2014, 12:34 PM   #7
ses4me
"TRF" Member

So if the HE valve is only supposed to release pressure from within the watch, it must mean there is a leak from elsewhere or the valve itself is defective?

Old 6 May 2014, 01:09 PM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Whoever did the pressure test would know where the leak was. That's the whole point of the test..

I doubt that it would be the one-way HE valve unless the valve is faulty.
Old 6 May 2014, 01:22 PM   #9
RollieVerde
Banned

If the pressure inside the watch was sufficiently higher than the ambient pressure, then air would escape from the valve to equalize it. The person conducting the test would see bubbles coming from the valve. If no water then entered the case, it was working fine. This is if I remember the testing protocol correctly, which is questionable. Theoretically, the valve would only open in a diving bell during ascent at the end of a saturation cycle, where it is bone dry. Take it to an AD and get it tested by somebody who knows what they're doing.
Old 6 May 2014, 01:34 PM   #10
ses4me
"TRF" Member

Yeah, I dropped it off at the AD after work today and they are going to test it tomorrow AM. I'll know what the deal is by noon tomorrow. I don't trust the test done by the watch store in the mall. It was just an air pressure test in a glass bell. It was in there no more than 5 seconds before the girl declared it failed.

Old 6 May 2014, 01:39 PM   #11
RollieVerde
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses4me View Post
Yeah, I dropped it off at the AD after work today and they are going to test it tomorrow AM. I'll know what the deal is by noon tomorrow. I don't trust the test done by the watch store in the mall. It was just an air pressure test in a glass bell. It was in there no more than 5 seconds before the girl declared it failed.

Best of luck. That is a very sharp timepiece, and I hope it brings you years of faithful service. Let us know what they say.
Old 7 May 2014, 09:09 AM   #12
ses4me
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice, the most helpful of which was to let the AD, which has the proper equipment, do the pressure test. The AD used 2 separate machines to confirm water resistance and the result was the complete opposite of that given by the crappy mall watch store with its crappy testing equipment.

Old 7 May 2014, 10:03 AM   #13
BMW Guy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD,Sub,YMII,SD43
Glad you ended up with a positive result. Gets to show you how someone can easily lead you down the wrong path. Did you go back to the watch store at the mall and let them know ?
BMW Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2014, 10:23 AM   #14
Keith1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C blue, DSSD
I also would show the watch store at the mall your results, and get them to stop giving bad advice to others. If they don't know any better, they should learn!
Keith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2014, 10:31 AM   #15
RollieVerde
Banned

That's great news. Now you can enjoy it worry-free. That titanium case on the Pelagos is a very interesting beast. It will be cool to see how it lasts over the years.
Old 7 May 2014, 12:20 PM   #16
ses4me
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure it will be productive in any way to confront the mall watch store with the real test results. They don't know anything. There's not a single automatic in the store and they're concerned about changing quartz batteries.

Old 8 May 2014, 12:40 PM   #17
BMW Guy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD,Sub,YMII,SD43
It could be productive depends how it is delivered. If you make them realize they are giving out false results and making people uneasy with the service they are giving.
They either stop or perhaps train someone properly so this wont happen again.
BMW Guy is offline   Reply With Quote