The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10 May 2017, 06:08 PM   #271
Tap
"TRF" Member

I agree with everything said here. It's main purpose seems weak compared to many modern watches which are effectively just as anti magnetic for daily use. It's expensive compared to other watches in the Rolex range. It's a bit odd looking with the bulky case and shiny links making it sit awkwardly between a dress watch and sport watch ...
Having said that when I went to the AD to buy my first big watch (I had a 36mm DJ 1 in mind) I loved the way the dial was a bit grey and very matt. It also wears very well despite being 40mm even on my skinny wrist. It's quirky and different to every other person's watch yet it still carries the Rolex name, is pretty much bomb proof and is a great talking point amongst watch lovers. I quite like mine. Honestly would have loved to have had the choice of the blue dial when I went as I probably would have ended up getting it instead but it was a slightly spontaneous purchase. I've not regretted it yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1688~2.jpg (46.3 KB, 806 views)
Old 10 May 2017, 07:21 PM   #272
milgauss2232
"TRF" Member

Watch: the watchmen
Don't feel that it's fair saying it's outdated thus bad. Likewise we could go on and say we should all be wearing Apple watches because mechanical watches are 'outdated'
Old 10 May 2017, 09:46 PM   #273
Speed
"TRF" Member

I just think the GV looks cool.
Old 10 May 2017, 09:49 PM   #274
ssetem
"TRF" Member

Watch: blro,daytc,lv,blnr
for non date watch its quite expensive, airking is cheaper which is nearly same watch,

tho everytime i see in shop window it proper sparkles nice :D
Old 12 May 2017, 08:32 AM   #275
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
I love the white dial version with orange lumes.
Old 12 May 2017, 08:39 AM   #276
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

This GV was hot when it was first introduced, I think most watch has its days in the Sun. Today is the SD50 then 10 years later the interest wanes...But ss Daytona is always desirable.
Old 12 May 2017, 08:43 AM   #277
CYKBC
"TRF" Member

Because it's not what people visualize when they think Rolex
Old 12 May 2017, 10:44 AM   #278
kopykopy
"TRF" Member

5 years ago, I didn't know anything about Rolex but wanted to get my one and only Rolex. Walked into the AD and I got the Oyster Perpetual ie the Datejust without the date. The only other Rolex that caught my eye was this unique looking piece with an orange thunderbolt hand and greenish crystal. I told myself if I ever buy another Rolex in this life, that would be it.

5 years later ie. now, I own 5 Rolexes but none of them is the Milgauss. It is still a very nice watch but the are many other references to get before the Milgauss.
Old 13 May 2017, 12:56 PM   #279
G-F
"TRF" Member

Some people hinted that the Milgauss is pointless as other Rolex watches are also protected against magnetic fields. But the same can be said about the Submariner and its water resistance. The Milgauss can go under water too and most likely, deeper than 99,99% of anyone who actually wears a Sub under water.

But just like the Sub that is better at going under water, the Milgauss is better protected against magnetism. I'm gonna let this here for anyone wanting to know more about the Milgauss amazing magnetic resistance capability.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-...odymium-magnet
Old 13 May 2017, 01:32 PM   #280
milgauss2232
"TRF" Member

Watch: the watchmen
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-F View Post
Some people hinted that the Milgauss is pointless as other Rolex watches are also protected against magnetic fields. But the same can be said about the Submariner and its water resistance. The Milgauss can go under water too and most likely, deeper than 99,99% of anyone who actually wears a Sub under water.

But just like the Sub that is better at going under water, the Milgauss is better protected against magnetism. I'm gonna let this here for anyone wanting to know more about the Milgauss amazing magnetic resistance capability.

Thanks for linking this article. I've always wondered if the antimagnetic tolerance has exceeded 1000 gauss with the addition of the parachrom spring and this confirms it!
Old 13 May 2017, 02:06 PM   #281
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I do like the current Milgauss myself, but would like it even more if it returned to a more tool like presentation/function with less polish.

Perhaps Rolex can introduce a new anti-magnetic movement in the next Milgauss or some other type of technical advancement to set it apart.
Old 13 May 2017, 02:42 PM   #282
G-F
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milgauss2232 View Post
Thanks for linking this article. I've always wondered if the antimagnetic tolerance has exceeded 1000 gauss with the addition of the parachrom spring and this confirms it!
True story, back when I decided to buy a Rolex, I was trying to decide between a Subc and the Milgauss. So one day my girlfriend comes home and tells me that her Date just is gaining several minutes to hours. She had no idea how it got magnetized and but it sure did.

It was not a big deal to get it demagnetized, but still we had to go to several boutiques (no local Rolex dealer in my area) before we found one that had the tool to demagnetize a watch. It does happen, it could be as simple as leaving the watch on an Ipad cover for the night (that's what happened). Anyway, it did have a part in the reason why I bought a Zblue. :)
Old 13 May 2017, 07:26 PM   #283
jamie mcilhatton
"TRF" Member

Yes think the milgauss is a cool watch
Old 13 May 2017, 07:29 PM   #284
jamie mcilhatton
"TRF" Member

image.jpg

Think the white dial is a hot watch for the summer
Old 13 May 2017, 07:31 PM   #285
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

In regard to white dials, I would prefer the Exp2

1 Watch guy
Old 13 May 2017, 07:36 PM   #286
jamie mcilhatton
"TRF" Member

Unique colours on the milgauss a bit different
Old 13 May 2017, 08:18 PM   #287
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-F View Post

Thank you for the interesting read. At least I now know that my watch is able to withstand more than what it was designed to do.
Old 13 May 2017, 08:59 PM   #288
Qwerty01
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT Masters
Milgauss doesnt look too much of a sports watch, its more of a fancy datejust.........the explorer I at least has the mercedes hands......
Old 13 May 2017, 10:25 PM   #289
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunadubby View Post
Is it the thickness, the thunder hands, the price, the heft?

Please share your thoughts on why the modern milgauss gets no love, while the vintage milgauss gets lots of love?
Because the new Air King gives you the same watch with brushed lugs and bracelet for a lot less money?
Old 13 May 2017, 11:52 PM   #290
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

I find some of the comments here cute. " if it doesn't have a date, no good"
Really? How aspbsent minded are you that you have to continually look at your watch to see the date or day?
This is a Rolex forum and people are agonizing if the cost justifies the lack of complications? Seriously? " you can get x watch that does the same for less"
If you can even afford to get into an entry level Rolex your not really worried about disposable income to spend on a watch.

If you like it great, if you don't, no need to hate on it.

I'm relatively new to the Rolex world and my knowledge is limited thus far.
I have a z blue as my first Rolex. I bought it because I liked how it looked. Didn't buy it for the Faraday, or the magnetic protection, I bought it because I liked the staggering look. It's just playful enough to wear anywhere, anytime, but it says enough when making a first impression or going into that meeting.
I looked at all the watches in the price point I was in and below, and the Milgauss did the above for me.
Old 14 May 2017, 12:14 AM   #291
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

Really? How aspbsent minded are you that you have to continually look at your watch to see the date or day?
This is a Rolex forum and people are agonizing if the cost justifies the lack of complications? Seriously? " you can get x watch that does the same for less"
If you can even afford to get into an entry level Rolex your not really worried about disposable income to spend on a watch.

I have a z blue as my first Rolex. I bought it because I liked how it looked. Didn't buy it for the Faraday, or the magnetic protection, I bought it because I liked the staggering look. It's just playful enough to wear anywhere, anytime, but it says enough when making a first impression or going into that meeting.
I looked at all the watches in the price point I was in and below, and the Milgauss did the above for me.
Old 14 May 2017, 12:41 AM   #292
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
It's not one of the iconic Rolex's - Sub, GMT, or DJ. The average Joe buying a Rolex tends to go for something that says Rolex.

The color scheme on the Milgauss isn't for everybody (though the pattern of the old black dial was carried forward in the new OPs). The second hand turns off the purists. And the price point is a bit high for a watch that only tells time.

That said, I love mine.
I like this watch, the only thing I would find annoying is the seconds hand. On balance I love the black and orange contrast. This has square dots like the OP 39 that make it very cool. In fact another OP 39 variation could be a black dial with orange square dots.
Old 14 May 2017, 01:10 AM   #293
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

Old 14 May 2017, 01:19 AM   #294
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
I've come to the conclusion it's a price thing, Milgauss is the Time Only Oyster watch on top of the price list. For a 1k you get the perfect time only watch which is the ND sub, for even less an Exp 1 and for 350 and 250 you can get a Date Sub or the LN Gmt.

That my opinion.

Present: BB58 | BB36 | GMW-B5000D-1JF | 6900-PT80

Past: 16610LN | 16622 | 116610LN | 214270
Old 14 May 2017, 03:16 AM   #295
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr35mm View Post
I've come to the conclusion it's a price thing, Milgauss is the Time Only Oyster watch on top of the price list. For a 1k you get the perfect time only watch which is the ND sub, for even less an Exp 1 and for 350 and 250 you can get a Date Sub or the LN Gmt.

That my opinion.
Great point. There isn't a whole lot of value at the current pricing when you compare it to the Sub no date, Air King, and Explorer 1

The green crystal models would be winners at $7k. You can get ceramic and a Glidelock for less than a Milgauss as is now
Old 14 May 2017, 03:34 AM   #296
larsr
"TRF" Member

Complication of green crystal AND the Harry Potter orange second hand had me at "Hello".
Old 22 May 2017, 01:57 AM   #297
jeffgo888
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me disappear into
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDABBQ View Post

Well said.
In my op, I believe it is one of the iconic Rolex pieces, in history if Rolex. It is steeped in their tradition, dating back many many many years, there is a reason why they are still making it.
Quite simply, it's an amazing piece and one that makes me drool and catches my eye, each and every time

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Old 1 June 2017, 10:26 AM   #298
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I have a Sinn 203 Arktis that was supposedly designed to withstand crazy temperature extremes, a Titanium Omega Seamaster that significantly lighter than the steel version and now a Milgauss. I don't need any of the features of these watches and the stories aren't even all that factual. I'm an engineer by training and just like nice watches that are served with a side of technology. I also happen to like the look of all three of these watches.

Old 1 June 2017, 10:42 PM   #299
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDABBQ View Post
I forget who, but as someone once said "If you don't know what day it is, why do you care what time it is?"

I also understand not liking it...it's a very different design and not for everyone. But when people bring up that such and such a watch is a better value because it has a date function or costs less it puzzles me. It's a Rolex, it's not supposed to be some incredible good value. If the cost needs to make sense nobody would ever buy a Rolex.
Old 2 June 2017, 12:08 AM   #300
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
i really miss my GV but i couldnt get pass having no date,,,,lame excuse i know and i will get another GV in the future,,,,,,its quite heavy though,,,,,,jay
Closed Thread