The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 13 April 2016, 12:43 AM   #91
bodhipooh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
very colorful so not great as an only piece to some
Funny, its "colorfulness" is a PLUS to me. ;)

While I am normally as strait-laced as they come, I am big into colorful/wild shirts, and I am particularly partial to the orange color, so I have been eyeing a Milgauss 116400GV as a second or third piece.
Old 13 April 2016, 01:28 AM   #92
abrasive
"TRF" Member

I love the colors, size and heft, but can't get past the shape of the second hand.
Old 13 April 2016, 02:04 AM   #93
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
That's a great looking dial! Beautiful. I just can't believe that more people aren't complaining about the heaviness of the Milgauss on the wrist. I used the term "brick " on my wrist... it really felt like a BUS. At the end of the day, my arm was tired when I wore the Milgauss. I guess many of you guys have really strong forearms lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by pexus View Post
Yes it's not as popular as the rest but I love mine! The dial, markers, hands, gv glass...absolutely gorgeous.

Although I sometimes have this wish that it has the 39mm oyster perpetual case so i can wear it all day all night....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 April 2016, 02:08 AM   #94
uncufunc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126613LB, 1501
Love the blue dial and the green crystal. Even like the funky seconds hand. I think what swayed me away from it was the lack of sports hands and/or a date.
Old 13 April 2016, 02:32 AM   #95
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are FUN!!!
I don't know why its not popular. I love mine.
I did not expect to like it this much. Its almost impossible to get a blue dial SS Rolex and when you add the green crystal it gives it such a cool vibe.

Old 13 April 2016, 02:47 AM   #96
tunadubby
"TRF" Member

OP here. For how "unpopular" this model is, the thread is really gaining traction!

I think "polarizing" is a better word to describe the Milgauss
Old 13 April 2016, 02:57 AM   #97
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgbaj View Post
It does look nice apart from the Orange lighting bolt second hand
Old 13 April 2016, 03:10 AM   #98
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunadubby View Post
OP here. For how "unpopular" this model is, the thread is really gaining traction!

I think "polarizing" is a better word to describe the Milgauss
You're also not looking at a representative sample of Rolex customers. It's pretty unpopular overall. That's fine though, it's a niche product.
Old 13 April 2016, 04:34 AM   #99
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
I have always liked the color especially the green crystal... but if its my first or only Rolex, not having a date kinda kills it for me. I would prefer GMT with dual time zone and a date.
Old 13 April 2016, 04:35 AM   #100
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgbaj View Post
I don't know why its not popular. I love mine.
I did not expect to like it this much. Its almost impossible to get a blue dial SS Rolex and when you add the green crystal it gives it such a cool vibe.

Lovely my friend! The Zblue dial just amazing.
Old 13 April 2016, 05:05 AM   #101
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I think the watch would look better if the lugs and bracelet was brushed instead of polished.

It looks too shiny.
Old 13 April 2016, 06:46 AM   #102
qadhi
"TRF" Member

love mine..the orange bolt doesn't look bad at all

Old 13 April 2016, 06:55 AM   #103
jacko1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qadhi View Post
love mine..the orange bolt doesn't look bad at all

that leather band looks great but would look better if the case was brushed
Old 13 April 2016, 07:21 AM   #104
Shichinin
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/SubCND/Speedy
Well Milgauss may be unpopular but I love mine. It is my first and only Rolex so far.
Even though a lot of people find the lightning bolt unnecessary, that is actually one of
my favorites about this reference. At the end, choice is all about personal taste and
preference obviously.
Old 13 April 2016, 07:39 AM   #105
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Im surprised they have discontinued the model. Never even seen one in the wild. I think its to similar to the datejust. So most just go with the datejust. As well as same price as the exp II which takes a lot of customers form the Mil.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Old 13 April 2016, 08:44 AM   #106
josephvman
Banned

It's probably the favorite of my Rolex's.

Old 13 April 2016, 11:29 AM   #107
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofrolex View Post
Im surprised they have discontinued the model. Never even seen one in the wild. I think its to similar to the datejust. So most just go with the datejust. As well as same price as the exp II which takes a lot of customers form the Mil.
I hate that cyclops on the datejust wouldn't be able to wear one.
Old 13 April 2016, 11:59 AM   #108
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
You're also not looking at a representative sample of Rolex customers. It's pretty unpopular overall. That's fine though, it's a niche product.
How do you define pretty unpopular? Compared to what? Without sales figures there's not much to go by other than opinions. Are you correlating rare to popular?
Old 13 April 2016, 12:50 PM   #109
igwt
"TRF" Member

i really like this model the second hand is nice in metal actually unlike in photos....

still deciding between this or the submariner ND... as my one and only rolex and expensive watch....

but leaning towards the Milgauss....
Old 13 April 2016, 03:33 PM   #110
RolexguyinSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Love my Milgauss

"Orange not a popular colour, squiggle second hand is not popular, pcls unpopular generally, no date, thick and clunky, very colorful so not great as an only piece to some, thick case and Faraday cage is a useless complication...at least you can time a pizza with a sub. I could go on...small crown...its the only sports watch to have the crappy date just clasp (no flip lock)....etc etc."

Seriously?

1) It's not a squiggle, it's a lightning bolt. Just like on the original model.

2) PCL's unpopular generally? So I guess the BLNR, Datejust, and Daytona aren't very popular then.

3) Thick, yes, as it contains a Faraday cage. Not sure what "clunky" really is exactly. I guess the DSSD must be insanely "clunky" then?

4) Faraday cage isn't useless. It protects against magnetism. It serves a purpose. I guess not high enough to reach your standards?

5) Small crown? Really? It's actually a large crown relative to Datejust II types, and it is in perfect scale to the case size.

Reasons to love a Milgauss:

Everyone has a Sub. EVERYONE. The Milgauss fits between the somewhat pedestrian Datejust, and the an Explorer (no offense, Exp's are nice...) I wanted to love the DJ 41, but it's just a little too lifeless and drab to me, but I wanted something a little dressy. Milgauss fits that spot. The green crystal glows at the right angle, something so unique, even to the Rolex line, that it really is special. The retro looking GV with orange, green, and yellow is a nice look. Sorta vintage and elegant. For every Milgauss I've seen on someones wrist in the wild (2 so far, and I'm in a big city) I see 5,000 Subs and another 5,000 GMT's. So it's a nice rarity. The second hand adds some character, and personality. Plus I think buying one pre owned is an absolute bargain as far as Rolex's go. Used Milgauss white faces, easily under 5K, GV's under 6. I think they're a steal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mill.jpg (154.8 KB, 1259 views)
Old 13 April 2016, 03:49 PM   #111
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexguyinSF View Post
"Orange not a popular colour, squiggle second hand is not popular, pcls unpopular generally, no date, thick and clunky, very colorful so not great as an only piece to some, thick case and Faraday cage is a useless complication...at least you can time a pizza with a sub. I could go on...small crown...its the only sports watch to have the crappy date just clasp (no flip lock)....etc etc."

Seriously?

1) It's not a squiggle, it's a lightning bolt. Just like on the original model.

2) PCL's unpopular generally? So I guess the BLNR, Datejust, and Daytona aren't very popular then.

3) Thick, yes, as it contains a Faraday cage. Not sure what "clunky" really is exactly. I guess the DSSD must be insanely "clunky" then?

4) Faraday cage isn't useless. It protects against magnetism. It serves a purpose. I guess not high enough to reach your standards?

5) Small crown? Really? It's actually a large crown relative to Datejust II types, and it is in perfect scale to the case size.

Reasons to love a Milgauss:

Everyone has a Sub. EVERYONE. The Milgauss fits between the somewhat pedestrian Datejust, and the an Explorer (no offense, Exp's are nice...) I wanted to love the DJ 41, but it's just a little too lifeless and drab to me, but I wanted something a little dressy. Milgauss fits that spot. The green crystal glows at the right angle, something so unique, even to the Rolex line, that it really is special. The retro looking GV with orange, green, and yellow is a nice look. Sorta vintage and elegant. For every Milgauss I've seen on someones wrist in the wild (2 so far, and I'm in a big city) I see 5,000 Subs and another 5,000 GMT's. So it's a nice rarity. The second hand adds some character, and personality. Plus I think buying one pre owned is an absolute bargain as far as Rolex's go. Used Milgauss white faces, easily under 5K, GV's under 6. I think they're a steal.
Preach brother preach!
Old 13 April 2016, 04:16 PM   #112
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Op asked why milgauss was unpopular so i gave some possible reasons why it is unpopular in comparison to other sports models. Please do not mistake my post as a personal attack on anyone who owns a gv.

1. It does not matter if it is called a lightning bolt or a squiggle it still remains a major deterrent for many :). But i can understand how you lIke it, it is very unique.

2. Your right pcls are not unpopular. However, they would certainly be a deterrant for the person who dislikes them. These people who are ocd about scratches clearly exist. Conversely, some people prefer pcl. I wonder if 50/50? Im guessing 60/40 in favor of brushed.

3. By clunky i mean to say it is very top heavy, taking away from the overall comfort. The balance of the watch just seems to be a bit off.

4. I find it difficult to imagine a specific situation were the milgauss Faraday cage would protect the watch while a standard modern Rolex movement would not. Experts feel free to chime in...but i think these situations are few and far between.

5. Perhaps i was wrong about the crown i take this one back. Forgiveness please.

6. That flip lock clasp is so satisfying to use. I just dont get why it is on every sports model except milgauss :(.

7/8 no date and expensive price are also possible negatives. However preowned prices eliminate this completely. Milgauss is excellent preowned value. Also, no date is a bonus for some as cleaner dial. However, most non-WIS seem to prefer a date.

Even given all this, i do think the milgauss is a great watch, especially the gv variants. They are rarely seen in the wild which adds greatly to their desireability. I think owners of the milgauss can feel good that they have chosen something different which expresses their individuality.
Old 13 April 2016, 09:15 PM   #113
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncufunc View Post
Love the blue dial and the green crystal. Even like the funky seconds hand. I think what swayed me away from it was the lack of sports hands and/or a date.
If the Milgauss had a date function I would have a GV or white dial for sure. The sweeping hand doesn't bother me and it makes it stand out. The more recent blue dial is also attractive imo. The black dial is just badass.
Old 13 April 2016, 09:31 PM   #114
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I think the watch would look better if the lugs and bracelet was brushed instead of polished.

It looks too shiny.
Yes I have often thought this. It is a watch for engineers and a brushed finish is more in keeping as it is designed to be used in the workplace.

Regards

Mick
Old 13 April 2016, 10:31 PM   #115
J Scott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Mine says, "hello."

Old 13 April 2016, 11:04 PM   #116
alanc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 16710B
It's one of those watches that you feel strongly about, one way or the other. I think it takes a certain type to pull it off properly. If they straightened out the second hand (but kept the color) and ditched the PCL's, they might sell a lot more of them, but OTOH those who love it, cite those two features as their favorites.
Old 13 April 2016, 11:15 PM   #117
Speed
"TRF" Member

No date makes it great - for me.

So nice to set and go - more quickly.
Old 13 April 2016, 11:44 PM   #118
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
How do you define pretty unpopular? Compared to what? Without sales figures there's not much to go by other than opinions. Are you correlating rare to popular?
Every AD I've ever talked to says it's one of their worst sellers and they're always willing to deal on them. Without some counter evidence on your part, it's pretty safe to say that it's not popular - at least in the USA. Feel free to be contrarian, however.
Old 14 April 2016, 12:20 AM   #119
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
Every AD I've ever talked to says it's one of their worst sellers and they're always willing to deal on them. Without some counter evidence on your part, it's pretty safe to say that it's not popular - at least in the USA. Feel free to be contrarian, however.
The old black dial didn't sell well and was discontinued. The ADs I've spoken to say the z-blue sells very well. Maybe it's just you?
Old 14 April 2016, 02:57 AM   #120
tunadubby
"TRF" Member

OP here, so it is a very very close call between the Black Dial Milgauss or the Stubby Hands Explorer; both are extraordinarily unpopular at the moment.

I went to the AD yesterday, and was surprised to see the Black Milgauss with clear crystal still in stock! (how's that for unpopular!) I tried on both the stubby exp and the Mil.

Absolutely loved both.

The Mil is a much larger watch, but it wears really comfortably. It has a very clean dial, with just the right amount of color to make the dial come to life. And I love the squiggly hands set against the stern black background. The PCL doesn't bother me much either. And in my opinion, the black dial is rather subdued, thanks to the matte black dial.

In comparison, the explorer is much more boring. But, I am still leaning towards it because of the size.

Needless to say, the AD was looking at me with puppy eyes, really really hoping I take either, but especially the black Mil.
Closed Thread