The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 March 2017, 08:57 AM   #1
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Icon19 >> iPhone 8 <<

TRF All.....
Anybody here waiting for iPhone 8, putting off upgrading til then?

Is it coming out in fall 2017 (ATT brick/mortar staffer told me it is delayed), or does anyone have an inside scoop?

DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 09:03 AM   #2
Cerachrom12
Banned

Watch: ing you!
I'm a Samsung user exclusively. Eagerly awaiting the Galaxy Note 8 this summer or whenever it's released. Will be interesting to see if Apple breaks new ground or releases another same old.
Cerachrom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 09:20 AM   #3
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
I am waiting. I believe this is the 10 year anniversary of the iPhone so the word on the street is there will be some major changes/improvements. First I heard it was going to be delayed. I did not upgrade to the 7 because I was holding out for the 8. Guess I will hang with my 6+ until the fall.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 09:28 AM   #4
BBL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
I am waiting. I believe this is the 10 year anniversary of the iPhone so the word on the street is there will be some major changes/improvements. First I heard it was going to be delayed. I did not upgrade to the 7 because I was holding out for the 8. Guess I will hang with my 6+ until the fall.
Hi droptopman:
The ATT store I go to has recently given me erroneous information about DirectTV package (which they also sell) - so I am taking their word with a grain of salt due to that experience.

But, if anyone here knows more, I surely would like to hear if/when the iPhone 8 release is targeted.

DM
Old 7 March 2017, 09:29 AM   #5
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Hi droptopman:
The ATT store I go to has recently given me erroneous information about DirectTV package (which they also sell) - so I am taking their word with a grain of salt due to that experience.

But, if anyone here knows more, I surely would like to hear if/when the iPhone 8 release is targeted.

DM
Some info
https://www.cnet.com/products/apple-iphone-8/preview/
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 09:40 AM   #6
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerachrom12 View Post
I'm a Samsung user exclusively. Eagerly awaiting the Galaxy Note 8 this summer or whenever it's released. Will be interesting to see if Apple breaks new ground or releases another same old.
The iPhone may not have the same explosive features as the Galaxy, but it's still a great phone. ;)
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 10:01 AM   #7
BBL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for looking this article up. September noted....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
The iPhone may not have the same explosive features as the Galaxy, but it's still a great phone. ;)
I am so accustomed to Apple now, I don't think I would do well with switching, as tempting as it sounds.
Thanks for your coaching, tho'..

DM
Old 7 March 2017, 10:06 AM   #8
BBL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Will it be an 8 or 10?
Old 7 March 2017, 10:07 AM   #9
Cerachrom12
Banned

Quote:
Either choice you can't go wrong, Apple and Samsung are the only 2 real players in the smartphone market. Nobody else even comes close.
Old 7 March 2017, 10:15 AM   #10
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 10:18 AM   #11
Goin2drt
Banned

In. I am an Apple Fanboy. The 8 especially if it has wireless charging is going to be so great.

We have 4 in the house and I always get the new model and they get handed down until the last son. We sell his.

Also loving my airpods
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 10:41 AM   #12
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Heck I'm still using a 5, total Apple household here though, phones, MacBook, iPods and iPads. I could never go back.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 10:47 AM   #13
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Heck I'm still using a 5, total Apple household here though, phones, MacBook, iPods and iPads. I could never go back.
X2. I won't buy a different brand. I don't keep up with the latest greatest version of the iPhone; I usually just buy one and use it for years. I'm on my third one yet I've owned one since they came out. My next phone my not be the 8 but it will be apple.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 10:51 AM   #14
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I still have the 6s. Will keep it unless the 8 is far superior or if I break the 6s
Old 7 March 2017, 10:52 AM   #15
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
I am so accustomed to Apple now, I don't think I would do well with switching, as tempting as it sounds.
Thanks for your coaching, tho'..

DM
Agreed. I'm too invested in the Apple ecosystem to ever switch.

Quote:
Either choice you can't go wrong, Apple and Samsung are the only 2 real players in the smartphone market. Nobody else even comes close.
You should look at the Pixel phone from Google. I've said for years that the google phones (Nexus and now Pixel) offer the absolute best Android experience. Unfortunately, Google has no idea how to market its hardware so more people are not aware of what they have to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I'm glad somebody got it.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 11:59 AM   #16
77T
2024 Pledge Member

&gt;&gt; iPhone 8 &lt;&lt;

What I can tell you is that the AT&T store reps haven't been trained on the next iPhone simply because there is nothing we ever told them ahead of any prior iPhone announcement. The DirectTV merger and new bundles have been confusing enough

I very much doubt it will be iPhone 8 - as I've posted months ago I believe it'll be iPhone X. If it breaks any new technology ceilings I'll be very surprised. But if so, I hope it will be a quad processor core - half with a streamlined iOS for Apple Apps - and the other half handling everything else like non-Apple 3rd party Apps. Terabyte memory for the 4K video files would be grand, too.

If you recall, the original design did not have 3rd party on-board Apps to keep the core clean and fast.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 12:39 PM   #17
Cerachrom12
Banned

Quote:
Agreed. I'm too invested in the Apple ecosystem to ever switch.

You should look at the Pixel phone from Google. I've said for years that the google phones (Nexus and now Pixel) offer the absolute best Android experience. Unfortunately, Google has no idea how to market its hardware so more people are not aware of what they have to offer.

I'm glad somebody got it.
Don't worry, I also got it. FWIW, I had a note 7 and a mandatory replacement and had no issues with either. Ultimately, Verizon killed all the remaining phones out in the field by deactivating them rendering them useless. Moreover , Samsung has instituted a new 8 point check for every battery that will go into the next generation of Galaxy phones. Since I was forced a downgrade from the note7 to a galaxy7 edge, rumour is customers like myself will be offered a nice incentive on a next generation note 8. Samsung paid a heavy price for the note 7 debacle, and I have full confidence they will have attention to battery safety and design moving forward.
Old 7 March 2017, 01:15 PM   #18
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Same here. Way too far in to go back. Some of the rumors for the 8 or X or whatever they call it sound pretty good. Of course, I've also heard it may break the $1000 barrier, which I'm not a big fan of.
Old 7 March 2017, 02:17 PM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
They make, I buy.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 02:23 PM   #20
mfer
"TRF" Member

$1000 for a phone. It is getting ridiculous. I'll keep my 6+ for as long as I can. It works for what I need.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 02:27 PM   #21
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Every new iPhone has announced at the WWDC in September and released in October. I don't see how this is any different.

I read that Apple already committed an order of 100M OLED screens from Samsung
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 02:29 PM   #22
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by seand442 View Post
Same here. Way too far in to go back. Some of the rumors for the 8 or X or whatever they call it sound pretty good. Of course, I've also heard it may break the $1000 barrier, which I'm not a big fan of.
I read that somewhere too but the same article said that there will be a premium iphone ($1000) and then a standard iphone which will be priced in line with previous models.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 02:37 PM   #23
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
I still have a 6+. Went to the Apple Store this weekend because I was having screen issues. They swapped for a new phone. I should be good for another 2 1/2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 02:37 PM   #24
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
$1000 for a phone. It is getting ridiculous. I'll keep my 6+ for as long as I can. It works for what I need.

Agree. Stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 02:47 PM   #25
Star Ferry
Banned

Apple already lost major ground in China/India. The vast majority of those folks cannot afford an $800+ phone.

Samsung will win in the end -- many of the customers buying their $150 or $300 phones will eventually upgrade to their premium "Galaxy S"

I will be picking up a Galaxy S8, pending decent or better reviews
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 03:00 PM   #26
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
I read that somewhere too but the same article said that there will be a premium iphone ($1000) and then a standard iphone which will be priced in line with previous models.
True, but when it comes to Apple, premium is the name of the game. Even if they break $1000, I have no doubt they will still sell out and people will wait for weeks. Not sure what that says about consumers....
Old 7 March 2017, 07:11 PM   #27
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Same here.
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 07:41 PM   #28
Pangit
"TRF" Member

I picked up an iPhone 7 a couple of weeks after release in the UK and brought it back to Qatar. After a month I had problems making/receiving calls and texts to the point the phone was not usable. Picked up a Samsung S7 and I was surprised how much I liked it. However, once I got back to the UK in late December took the iPhone into the Apple Store and they exchanged it there and then for a new phone. No problems since and I am glad to be back in the iPhone world. Sold the Samsung to my niece but I have to admit I miss the camera which is so much better than the iPhone.
Pangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 08:31 PM   #29
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I have a Google Pixel XL, its great, I will look at the next Generation of them when they come out.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 11:28 PM   #30
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
I've had every other iPhone since the 3G. They have had some issues over the years, but they are the best for my family. I have the 7 now, and it's great. No issues at all. I'll skip this year and be ready again next year, as long as the phones aren't $1,000 +
sco is offline   Reply With Quote