The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 March 2017, 04:07 PM   #1
lightcatcher
"TRF" Member

ALS 1815 or 1815 up/down?

I have the opportunity to purchase one of the above watches in pink gold from an AD at a 25% discount.

While I have tried on the 1815 and absolutely loved it, I haven't had an opportunity to try the up/ down as yet as the AD is expecting stock sometime in the near future.

While I love the up/down from pictures I have seen on the web, I'm wondering if the:

1. extra power reserve (72 instead of 55);

2. Auf/ Ab indicator; and

3. newer movement;

are worth the extra premium for the 1815 up/down?

I'm not looking to sell the watch so resale values aren't a concern.

Any thoughts from you good folks on my current dilemma?

Cheers
lightcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 04:34 PM   #2
GreenRust
"TRF" Member

Both are great - personally I would go for the Up/Down as I love the power reserve and sub-second dial - reminds me of an old deck clock or pocket watch.
GreenRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 08:07 PM   #3
jd57
"TRF" Member

Regular 1815 works for everything - casual to dress - and the 40mm wears bigger than the 39.5mm up-down because of the less cluttered dial. I like the bigger simpler look but ymmv.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0903.jpg (77.9 KB, 592 views)
jd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 11:32 PM   #4
ramonesf2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Lange
I went for the Up/Down. Try to shoot for 30% :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-01-24 16.20.12.jpg (64.3 KB, 579 views)
ramonesf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 12:50 AM   #5
lightcatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd57 View Post
Regular 1815 works for everything - casual to dress - and the 40mm wears bigger than the 39.5mm up-down because of the less cluttered dial. I like the bigger simpler look but ymmv.
Absolutely stunning! Is that the yellow gold version? How does it hold up as a daily wearer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonesf2 View Post
Lovely collection! Currently negotiating the discount with the AD and hoping to get it as close to 30% as possible. In dollar terms, with a 25% discount, the up/ down works out to US$ 19,586 while the regular 1815 is about US$ 16,658 (mods, not sure if we can discuss prices here. Please delete this post if it's against the forum rules, thank you).

My current lineup consists of a Rolex Explorer (with the "short" hands) and a panerai 233. I love the Up/ down in pictures and can't wait to try it on in person. But I'm still wondering if the 3k premium is worth it.
Old 14 March 2017, 12:52 AM   #6
ramonesf2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcatcher View Post
Absolutely stunning! Is that the yellow gold version? How does it hold up as a daily wearer?

Lovely collection! Currently negotiating the discount with the AD and hoping to get it as close to 30% as possible. In dollar terms, with a 25% discount, the up/ down works out to US$ 19,586 while the regular 1815 is about US$ 16,658 (mods, not sure if we can discuss prices here. Please delete this post if it's against the forum rules, thank you).

My current lineup consists of a Rolex Explorer (with the "short" hands) and a panerai 233. I love the Up/ down in pictures and can't wait to try it on in person. But I'm still wondering if the 3k premium is worth it.
Where are you located? MSRP for the 1815 is $24,800 and U/D is $29,400 in the US.
Old 14 March 2017, 01:02 AM   #7
lightcatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Where are you located? MSRP for the 1815 is $24,800 and U/D is $29,400 in the US.
I'm in New Delhi, India. MSRP on the 1815 here is US$ 22,210 while the Up/ down retails for US$ 26,125.
Old 14 March 2017, 01:20 AM   #8
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

I don't own either but given the choice would go for the straight 1815 rg as it feels less cluttered as a dial. If you wear this watch everyday you likely will wind it up every morning so little need for the power reserve in my mind.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 01:23 AM   #9
ramonesf2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm in New Delhi, India. MSRP on the 1815 here is US$ 22,210 while the Up/ down retails for US$ 26,125.
Ah, that explains it. Definitely go for the U/D. Worth the premium IMO. More gold chatons on the movement, longer power reserve, no cut off numerals, more interesting dial. You're already spending so much money, so why not go for what you really want?
Old 14 March 2017, 01:23 AM   #10
mdgrwl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Dealer
regular 1815 here. its a perfect watch in every way
mdgrwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 01:27 AM   #11
lightcatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
I don't own either but given the choice would go for the straight 1815 rg as it feels less cluttered as a dial. If you wear this watch everyday you likely will wind it up every morning so little need for the power reserve in my mind.
That's a great observation! I don't really see myself wearing this everyday but at the same time, I don't see myself wearing it more than once in 72 hours.

In terms of movements, the Up/ down, from what I've read, has a newer, bespoke movement. Though the one on the regular 1815 should be quite robust as well.

Any idea how well the watches hold up in terms of servicing intervals? That's a bit of a concern as the AD informed me that the watch would need to be sent to Germany even for a routine service.
Old 14 March 2017, 01:29 AM   #12
lightcatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ah, that explains it. Definitely go for the U/D. Worth the premium IMO. More gold chatons on the movement, longer power reserve, no cut off numerals, more interesting dial. You're already spending so much money, so why not go for what you really want?
I just need to try the Up/ down in the flesh and decide. Either way, it won't be a wrong decision, which is quite reassuring:)
Old 14 March 2017, 01:49 AM   #13
cervantes
"TRF" Member

The newer 1815 is 38.5mm, not 40mm like the older model. Up and Down is slightly bigger at 39 and a touch thicker. I really like the up and down model and one of the few watches I've sold that I've regretted (sold it when acquiring the 1815 chrono which resembles it design wise).
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 01:50 AM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Up down would be my choice. The movement is much better looking. I had the regular 1815 and I dare say it was a touch too simple. Imho of course.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 02:22 AM   #15
lightcatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervantes View Post
The newer 1815 is 38.5mm, not 40mm like the older model. Up and Down is slightly bigger at 39 and a touch thicker. I really like the up and down model and one of the few watches I've sold that I've regretted (sold it when acquiring the 1815 chrono which resembles it design wise).
Most would say the Up/ down resembles the chrono and not vice versa :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Up down would be my choice. The movement is much better looking. I had the regular 1815 and I dare say it was a touch too simple. Imho of course.
I've read some reports that the winding of the 1815 isn't quite as smooth. Any experiences to share?
Old 14 March 2017, 03:25 AM   #16
shafran
"TRF" Member

I would go for the up/down, but I like the look of chronographs. I get tired of simple watches.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 03:49 AM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Most would say the Up/ down resembles the chrono and not vice versa :)

I've read some reports that the winding of the 1815 isn't quite as smooth. Any experiences to share?
Unfortunately, I did not wind an 1815 up down alongside mine during ownership. I can say I found no issues whatsoever with the winding mechanism.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 04:04 AM   #18
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I think the PR indicator is the most useful complication... and i like the way it balances on the ALS up/down.. so that would be my choice.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 04:27 AM   #19
jd57
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=lightcatcher;7433297]Absolutely stunning! Is that the yellow gold version? How does it hold up as a daily wearer?

The 40mm rose gold actually. It is perfect for daily wear in my opinion - dressy enough but with an interesting dial and the blued hands. With a brown strap it could work with casual clothes - I have it on matte black for wear with a suit and tie.
jd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 04:28 AM   #20
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's a great observation! I don't really see myself wearing this everyday but at the same time, I don't see myself wearing it more than once in 72 hours.

In terms of movements, the Up/ down, from what I've read, has a newer, bespoke movement. Though the one on the regular 1815 should be quite robust as well.

Any idea how well the watches hold up in terms of servicing intervals? That's a bit of a concern as the AD informed me that the watch would need to be sent to Germany even for a routine service.
iirc, there's an authorized US service center for Lange in NYC that can perform the servicing without the need to send to Germany.

Regarding movements, it's apples to oranges. Manual wind vs automatic. Pros/cons to each but more important which one you prefer.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 08:08 AM   #21
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I prefer the up down...looks like a chrono but relatively slim.
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 09:44 AM   #22
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Responses

Quote:

The movements are robust and well made. You can probably push servicing to 8 years or so depending on wear and climate. You probably will need to send the watch to Glashutte as I suspect you don't have a service center in India yet. You might ask your AD where the watches are sent for service out of interest or email Lange direct.

Both movements have been updated 1815 (051.1 movement updated 2014) and 1815 Auf/Ab (051.2 movement updated 2013). If there are small changes Lange will quite often update the movement with new parts when it's being serviced.

It's a wonderful brand with a rich history - enjoy the whole buying experience!
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2017, 09:25 PM   #23
LitzDoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Beautiful collection ! Love the ALS. I have never owned one but I am considering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LitzDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2017, 11:54 AM   #24
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Can't go wrong with either, but I'm preferential to the Up/Down.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 03:36 AM   #25
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

1815 Annual Calendar is probably the way to go...otherwise, I would vote up/down. That being said, I was surprisingly impressed with the standard 1815 in person. Doesn't feel too over dressed and more going on then you can tell in pictures.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 11:00 PM   #26
lightcatcher
"TRF" Member

Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
1815 Annual Calendar is probably the way to go...otherwise, I would vote up/down. That being said, I was surprisingly impressed with the standard 1815 in person. Doesn't feel too over dressed and more going on then you can tell in pictures.
The annual calendar is undoubtedly gorgeous, but i find the dial rather busy and the cut off numerals just aren't my thing.... Fortunately for me, with that price tag!
Old 1 April 2017, 11:08 PM   #27
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Which has the nicer movment?
Old 2 April 2017, 12:24 PM   #28
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Subjective of course, both are nice in a Teutonic kind of way.

Standard 1815 ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.4 KB, 390 views)
Old 2 April 2017, 12:24 PM   #29
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
And the up/down...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (87.0 KB, 391 views)
Old 4 April 2017, 11:18 PM   #30
LPPP
"TRF" Member

My first and only Lange. Definitely won't be my last.

IMG_5004.jpg
LPPP is offline   Reply With Quote