The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2017, 02:03 PM   #61
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Josh isn't going to peel this. He's crazy, not stupid
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 02:10 PM   #62
nathandyck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakattack62 View Post
Japenney as a fellow Canadian just make sure you sell on canwatchco when you're ready to flip.We'll all be waiting.

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nathandyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 02:41 PM   #63
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

Enjoy it!
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 04:25 PM   #64
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
Watches are meant to be worn and enjoyed.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 10:16 PM   #65
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Glad to see you're having fun with the flipping hobby Josh. I get it

The 16610LV is one of the best 5 digit Rolex made. I think it blows away the LVC
Old 23 March 2017, 10:34 PM   #66
Xerxes77
Banned

You can try
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 02:28 AM   #67
rodo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Glad to see you're having fun with the flipping hobby Josh. I get it

The 16610LV is one of the best 5 digit Rolex made. I think it blows away the LVC
I thought so too until I bought an LVC. I wear my hulk 99% of the time over the kermit
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 02:34 AM   #68
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Tough call, but I buy to wear, so I'm not much help here...
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 03:23 AM   #69
uber
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC, EXP1 MKII
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakattack62 View Post
Japenney as a fellow Canadian just make sure you sell on canwatchco when you're ready to flip.We'll all be waiting.
^^THIS

uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 04:13 AM   #70
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Must be something as Basel that has more caught your roving eye...
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 09:09 PM   #71
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
To peel or not to peel. Clasp is still fully stiff . I don't know if I have the heart. It will probably go in the safe for a while and I'll just oogle it occasionally. But damn.....So nice.
I suspect the issue people have isn't your flipping, its the manner in which you post

You'd probably get a much better response if you were just straight up about buying them "becasue they were there" and because you could.

You picked up a fully stickered BNIB kermit. That's a pretty aweome find.

But it would have been more interesting to get the back story., to read about how it came about and what the cost or trade was given its as new condition and to know what your thoughts on it were, rather than your "look at me" "look at me" stickers "dilemma".

I've put "dilemma" in quotation marks because its pretty apparent that:

1) You won't peel the stickers off the LV - so why ask the question? Its not about "having the heart", is it? You're most likely not even considering doing it.

2) Even if you do keep the LV (unlikely) you will (probably) keep it in the safe

In all seriousness Josh you're a bit like the little boy who cried wolf. After a while members on here will start to care less, which would be a shame because much of what you post (when you strip away the window dressing) is interesting, informative and well worth a read

Maybe just be a little less attention seeking?. You may see less negative responses that way

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 10:20 PM   #72
Tebow15
Banned

Picked this up in a trade....Guess I have a decision to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
I suspect the issue people have isn't your flipping, its the manner in which you post

You'd probably get a much better response if you were just straight up about buying them "becasue they were there" and because you could.

But it would have been more interesting to get the back story., to read about how it came about and what the cost or trade was given its as new condition and to know what your thoughts on it were, rather than your "look at me" "look at me" stickers "dilemma".

1) You won't peel the stickers off the LV - so why ask the question? Its not about "having the heart", is it? You're most likely not even considering doing it.

2) Even if you do keep the LV (unlikely) you will (probably) keep it in the safe

In all seriousness Josh you're a bit like the little boy who cried wolf. After a while members on here will start to care less, which would be a shame because much of what you post (when you strip away the window dressing) is interesting, informative and well worth a read

Maybe just be a little less attention seeking?. You may see less negative responses that way

Amen. Well said.

Josh posts so many times about his flipping COMPULSION just to seek attention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tebow15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 12:51 AM   #73
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
I wouldn't peel em.

I'm also one that would build a house and have a brand new Ferrari in the middle of my basement, you know...Instead of a sofa, just sit in it and drink, watch TV. Some people have pool tables, some big aquarium's, I would have a car with no way to get it out.
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 12:55 AM   #74
Cantab
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your 6
Sounds as if this is a winning strategy for you, and no one else need agree or disagree.
Cantab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 01:51 AM   #75
rjstuf001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Made in Suisse
Well said Devildog.

I think what also rubs some people the wrong way is the "I either break even or make money" part. Like "look at me I'm smarter than all of you guys". That may happen on a piece here and there, sure, but unless you're DavidSW or whatever other trusted seller, you're not making money flipping watches as a casual watch collector.
rjstuf001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 02:15 AM   #76
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post

Alternatively, you can just enjoy the story he writes and the pictures he posts. You can't dictate HOW he should interact on this forum. So you still want him to post, but post less? What exactly is attention seeking behavior? He is posting about his property on a forum dedicated to said property. So many people came into this thread just to be negative... why bother clicking in the first place?
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 02:19 AM   #77
cda555
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstuf001 View Post
Well said Devildog.

I think what also rubs some people the wrong way is the "I either break even or make money" part. Like "look at me I'm smarter than all of you guys". That may happen on a piece here and there, sure, but unless you're DavidSW or whatever other trusted seller, you're not making money flipping watches as a casual watch collector.
So you would be okay with this thread if he lost money? Why does it matter? Maybe he is patient, or has made a lot of contacts over the years. "You're not making money as a casual watch collector"... is that an absolute statement that applies to everyone? I apologize if I am coming off as rude, but I am responding the way Josh should but is too polite to do.
Old 5 April 2017, 02:25 AM   #78
Steph-paul
"TRF" Member

Great watch, enjoy it.
Steph-paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 02:31 AM   #79
Tebow15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
So you would be okay with this thread if he lost money? Why does it matter? Maybe he is patient, or has made a lot of contacts over the years. "You're not making money as a casual watch collector"... is that an absolute statement that applies to everyone? I apologize if I am coming off as rude, but I am responding the way Josh should but is too polite to do.

You're missing the essence of the comment: Josh is constantly posting about his serial flipping and quite frankly, has a flippant attitude towards others on the forums.

Yes, we are all certainly allowed to post whatever we want (within reason), but to waste everyone's time by constantly posting new threads about his new acquisition which ALWAYS lead to the same result (he flips) is just plain asinine and annoying.

Does anyone else see dealers posting on the threads? Usually no because they are in business and not usually keeping 99% of their inventory.

Old 5 April 2017, 02:57 AM   #80
cda555
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebow15 View Post
You're missing the essence of the comment: Josh is constantly posting about his serial flipping and quite frankly, has a flippant attitude towards others on the forums.

Yes, we are all certainly allowed to post whatever we want (within reason), but to waste everyone's time by constantly posting new threads about his new acquisition which ALWAYS lead to the same result (he flips) is just plain asinine and annoying.

Does anyone else see dealers posting on the threads? Usually no because they are in business and not usually keeping 99% of their inventory.

Maybe I don't browse often enough, but I have never seen where he has been flippant towards other members; especially to the point where it is a constant occurrence.

I would hardly call someone clicking a link on a hobbyist forum a waste of time... it isn't like this is part of your job. People come here on their leisure time. Wouldn't the whole experience be a waste of time?

Perhaps I just need to relax and let this thread run its course. I just got miffed that everyone started piling on. I happen to enjoy his threads (all of them). I don't want him to get discouraged and stop posting because a few people don't agree with how he partakes in the hobby.
Old 5 April 2017, 06:06 AM   #81
albmich
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
Maybe I don't browse often enough, but I have never seen where he has been flippant towards other members; especially to the point where it is a constant occurrence.

I would hardly call someone clicking a link on a hobbyist forum a waste of time... it isn't like this is part of your job. People come here on their leisure time. Wouldn't the whole experience be a waste of time?

Perhaps I just need to relax and let this thread run its course. I just got miffed that everyone started piling on. I happen to enjoy his threads (all of them). I don't want him to get discouraged and stop posting because a few people don't agree with how he partakes in the hobby.
I agree Josh has a lot of Rolex knowledge and some very helpful posts. He is also very friendly and never says anything negative about anyone. However I also agree that the incessant "incoming" posts are played out. I also get offended when Josh replies to a thread with "well I've owned all 3 of these watches so let me tell you...." as if he has more experience than others when in reality he only owned those watches for a week and probably tried them on twice before flipping
albmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 06:10 AM   #82
SilverBack_
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi Z
The kermit is growing on me. Looks awesome. Keep it.
SilverBack_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 06:20 AM   #83
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

IBTF( In before the flip). I figured I'd post as you may have flipped it by now. Looks good, perhaps dare I say a 'keeper'?.
Old 5 April 2017, 08:10 AM   #84
rjstuf001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Made in Suisse
Just noticed in post #23 that Tebow15 quoted OP's (since deleted) dubious claim that he got this NOS 16610LV for a $8500 trade value. Sure. A piece that currently goes for 13-15k NOS
rjstuf001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 08:15 AM   #85
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstuf001 View Post
Just noticed in post #23 that Tebow15 quoted OP's (since deleted) dubious claim that he got this NOS 16610LV for a $8500 trade value. Sure. A piece that currently goes for 13-15k NOS
In his defense, the 13-15k mark would be for a full set mark 1 only.... This isn't that.

I don't have much problems with his flipping threads /posts but can respect others do. It's only because there's a lot of passion amongst members here.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 08:22 AM   #86
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Lol. I took it in a trade and I'm just messing with you guys. Thought you might appreciate some pics. I'll see if it grows on me but I flip often so I'll probably leave it stickered until I really decide
That seems like a good idea.

I'm all about peeling off stickers and wearing a watch, but only if you're sure it's a keeper. If not sure, why throw away the money or risk scratching a brand new watch. Wear it carefully around the house till you're 100%. If you decide to keep it, tear those stickers off!!!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 09:34 AM   #87
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post

Totally agree! Definitely a keeper in my opinion at least!
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 10:25 AM   #88
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Hey everyone. I am sorry that my posts bother some people. This is all a big watch loving journey for me. I am not a perfect person and after some introspection I can say that some of my posts are "attention seeking" or rather I would call them "interaction seeking". I come on here to have fun and interact with this great community and posting and creating threads is a great way to do this. I wanted to make a few individual points:

1. I do flip often but I can tell you that I consider keeping every watch that I buy and I buy watches for the love of watches. I am truly considering keeping this 16610lv as I realize that I will never find another in Canada and it makes me smile.

2. Yes I got the watch in a trade for $8500 US. I spoke to the last 2 people who sold NOS 16610lv on here and they went for around $9500US after negotiation. Now you have to factor in that I live in Canada and since we have a less interested vintage market the prices for these watches are lower in Canada (so around 8500US makes sense here). So yes I got a good deal and if i keep it NOS i will likely not lose money.

3. Yes I usually break even when I buy and sell watches. At first I lost around $5000 per year but now that figure is closer to 0$ per year. Once you flip for several years you get to know the private market very well and know what things are selling for pre-owned. So you stay patient...and when a good deal comes up you buy it (if only to experience it for a few weeks) and then flip it. Doing this I get to experience many new watches at no risk.

4. I really don't think I am flippant towards other members on a regular basis. Everyone has an off comment but I try to be as polite as I can and offer advice to other members. I am sorry if this advice is sometimes offered it what seems like a condescending way. I don't think this occurs regularly but I will keep an eye out for that .

Now I must go write this pharmacology test . Have a great evening guys.

Josh
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 10:53 AM   #89
Tebow15
Banned

Quote:
Hey everyone. I am sorry that my posts bother some people. This is all a big watch loving journey for me. I am not a perfect person and after some introspection I can say that some of my posts are "attention seeking" or rather I would call them "interaction seeking". I come on here to have fun and interact with this great community and posting and creating threads is a great way to do this. I wanted to make a few individual points:

1. I do flip often but I can tell you that I consider keeping every watch that I buy and I buy watches for the love of watches. I am truly considering keeping this 16610lv as I realize that I will never find another in Canada and it makes me smile.

2. Yes I got the watch in a trade for $8500 US. I spoke to the last 2 people who sold NOS 16610lv on here and they went for around $9500US after negotiation. Now you have to factor in that I live in Canada and since we have a less interested vintage market the prices for these watches are lower in Canada (so around 8500US makes sense here). So yes I got a good deal and if i keep it NOS i will likely not lose money.

3. Yes I usually break even when I buy and sell watches. At first I lost around $5000 per year but now that figure is closer to 0$ per year. Once you flip for several years you get to know the private market very well and know what things are selling for pre-owned. So you stay patient...and when a good deal comes up you buy it (if only to experience it for a few weeks) and then flip it. Doing this I get to experience many new watches at no risk.

4. I really don't think I am flippant towards other members on a regular basis. Everyone has an off comment but I try to be as polite as I can and offer advice to other members. I am sorry if this advice is sometimes offered it what seems like a condescending way. I don't think this occurs regularly but I will keep an eye out for that .

Now I must go write this pharmacology test . Have a great evening guys.

Josh

DavidSW, is that you????

Old 5 April 2017, 10:58 AM   #90
albmich
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k
Josh you're a good man. But in the past year you've bought BNIB and then flipped a BLRO and a 116618LB...you also got a deepsea, flipped it, then bought it again...there is absolutely no way in heck that you broke even this past year after these events, just not possible.
albmich is offline   Reply With Quote