The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 May 2017, 11:58 AM   #31
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
For the life of me don't understand why Rolex didn't go with a true panda.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 12:56 PM   #32
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Watch: Daytona C 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYKBC View Post
Black has depth. White looks like a budget chrono in my eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee fowler View Post
Really??
I was a White fan for the first 6 months, but as I started studying the photos I noticed a few things that ultimately turned me into a Black fan, I've owned mine now entering my third week. Here's what you need to know:

1. Most critically, the 500 does not have a deep matte black dial, it has a translucency to it, in many lighting conditions it looks like a dark grey metallic, not a deep black lacquer. The bezel photographs very differently than it looks in real life, most photos have the contrast cranked way up. It is not the same as the black ceramic you know from the Submariner or the GMT. It is a different animal.

2. Because of Point 1, there is no true "panda" effect to the White Daytona. If anything, the black rings punctuate how not deep-black the bezel is. The rings don't match the bezel at most angles, they look like different colors.

3. Because of Point 2, the White Daytona 500 continues to look small just like the White Daytona 520 before it. The bezel frames and contains the white, same as it always has.

4. Because of Point 2 and 3, the White Daytona has a confusing look that, to me, is more distressing than legibility issues. White dial, black rings, mirror grey bezel, red text, and PCL polished/brushed bracelet make the White Daytona a cacophony of different shades of silver and black and mixed metals and disjointed elements. It's very busy.

5. And that brings us to the Black Daytona. Because the dial is black it pushes it's color out to include the bezel, tricks the eye into making the bezel darker than it actually is, makes it look like there is a big black disc of black flowing from the dial, over the bezel and onto the bracelet.

6. Because of Point 5, the Black Daytona 500 looks larger than the Black Daytona 520 and both White Daytona's. That's a very big deal. The Black Daytona has a primary visual cue of a "fused" black dial/bezel with silver rings that match the bracelet, it simplifies the noise and makes the watch look like many of the black/SS Rolexes of yore.

7. So because of all of this, the Black Daytona is the better choice. It looks larger and far less busy. And, frankly, has a lot of design language following the Submariner, a beloved classic, big disc of black atop a stainless bracelet. The White Daytona feels more like a Datejust with a white dial, glossy bezel, and PCL bracelet.

That's what changed me from a White fan to all-in on Black. You need to see both in person to truly get this. The photos don't tell the right story. The key is that the bezel is far less black than you think, the camera doesn't capture what is really going on in varying environments, and the black dial plants the watch and calms down all the noise whereas the white dial punctuates it.
schnitzerphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 05:36 PM   #33
skiahh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, X-33
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzerphilip View Post
1. Most critically, the 500 does not have a deep matte black dial, it has a translucency to it, in many lighting conditions it looks like a dark grey metallic, not a deep black lacquer. The bezel photographs very differently than it looks in real life, most photos have the contrast cranked way up. It is not the same as the black ceramic you know from the Submariner or the GMT. It is a different animal.
I find that hard to believe. I doubt Rolex has different shades of black ceramic bezels. Perhaps the chrono rings are polished or brushed so as to look different in different lighting conditions than the ceramic bezel, though? Now, to be fair, I haven't seen one in person, so just maybe they do.

On the other hand your point about the black dial having the illusion of being a bigger watch is spot on, at least from all the pictures I've looked at. Not sure if that'll be enough for me, though, since I really like the white (black and white) look.
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 05:52 PM   #34
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I have actually bought the black first then white later, and still have both. I like both of them. As for legibility, they're not on par with my Planet Ocean. Buy the one you like.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 06:02 PM   #35
Chiefs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
There's definitely a lot less glare from the new which has the potential to improve legibility.
Chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 08:29 PM   #36
dddl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What?
Hold out for what you want...
dddl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 09:14 PM   #37
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
That's the reason I got rid of my 116520 in black I could never read the time in low light and I've seen the new black in the flesh and not an improvement in legibility I would definitely go white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 09:23 PM   #38
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
For me it was worth the wait for a white dial.
Old 8 May 2017, 10:08 PM   #39
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefs View Post
There's definitely a lot less glare from the new which has the potential to improve legibility.
Great image illustrating the difference in the subdials and the impact on perceived size with the different bezels.

Old 8 May 2017, 10:16 PM   #40
subtona
"TRF" Member

B & w
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7818.jpg (143.8 KB, 258 views)
Old 8 May 2017, 10:20 PM   #41
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
The white rings on the sub dials are big improvement over the silver IMHO.

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 11:46 PM   #42
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
I find that hard to believe. I doubt Rolex has different shades of black ceramic bezels. Perhaps the chrono rings are polished or brushed so as to look different in different lighting conditions than the ceramic bezel, though? Now, to be fair, I haven't seen one in person, so just maybe they do.

On the other hand your point about the black dial having the illusion of being a bigger watch is spot on, at least from all the pictures I've looked at. Not sure if that'll be enough for me, though, since I really like the white (black and white) look.
It's possible that the Daytona has the same shade of black Ceramic as the Submariner, but it doesn't look that way except in very specific angles where the light isn't hitting it as hard.

My guess is that because the Daytona's bezel is narrower and it has a ton more engraved text and is more highly polished and is sitting at a sharply sloped angle that's the reason why it appears to be lighter in color and more of a glossy dark grey. It's hard to describe verbally, but if you're in a Rolex AD and have both watches the difference is clear. The light plays tricks on the Daytona 500's ceramic bezel. In the right conditions, for a moment it can almost look like stainless steel, almost like the 520. Point is that unlike other Rolexes, the black dial on the Daytona is anything but 'deep black' at all times and at all angles. It's very shiny and affected by whatever light hits it.

The Black Daytona definitely plays off the black bezel in a more cohesive manner and holds the entire presentation together in a simpler more composed form. The White Daytona is exciting because of its diversity and disconnected appearance. Can't go wrong either way, I chose the black because it felt more integrated and most definitely looks bigger on the wrist.
Old 9 May 2017, 12:02 AM   #43
JasonKrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefs View Post
I have to agree that the subdials on the old model black Daytona were hard to read to the point of useless.
JasonKrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 01:14 AM   #44
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverking View Post
For the life of me don't understand why Rolex didn't go with a true panda.

The true panda went out the window when Rolex got rid of the matte dial.

The panda had decent legibility because the white subdials were non-reflective matte finished and thus the glossy mirrored hands were discernible. But once Rolex made the dial glossy and the subsidals glossy, the hour and minute hands vanished and disappeared over 2/3 of the dial.

By making them hollow circles as they are currently, there is enough black behind the hands when they pass over the subdials to make them visible. The position of the lume in the hour and minute hands on modern Daytona's are strategically placed as well so they create a positive space as they pass over the subdials.
Old 12 May 2017, 09:29 AM   #45
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
I have the black dial, its a nightmare to read but something about it keeps it on my wrist...
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 09:40 AM   #46
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
If you want legibility go with the maxi dial submariner or explorer.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 10:58 AM   #47
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Wait it out. Trust me. The black is beautiful but the white is more unique and panda ish. Both are still great. Lots of people are settling for the black because it's slightly easier to get but you can't go wrong with either. Go with what sings to you even if you have to wait.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 11:09 AM   #48
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
Wait it out. Trust me. The black is beautiful but the white is more unique and panda ish. Both are still great. Lots of people are settling for the black because it's slightly easier to get but you can't go wrong with either. Go with what sings to you even if you have to wait.
Actually, there are more White C's for sale than Black C's for sale on the major forum sales sections right now (source: watchrecon)

Same prices too. I think the color preference momentum for white has subsided or, at least, supply has caught up to black.
Old 20 May 2017, 11:50 AM   #49
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvette View Post
The white rings on the sub dials are big improvement over the silver IMHO.

Definitely. I never owned a 520 but I can tell you the legibility on the 500 is outstanding. They are a matte gray, by the way.
Old 20 May 2017, 01:00 PM   #50
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I can't see Rolex agreeing to this dial swap on the D500s. They have a 1 year rule now which applies to the model being out before this can be done, but I suspect they might also make it apply to 1 year of ownership as well in this watch's case.
Patek also has the same 1 year rule, according to the sales rep, for a dial swap as long as it was originally offered.

Probably better off paying the pripemium to buy on secondary market Prather than pay Rolex for the dial swap and the extended wait.
Old 20 May 2017, 02:01 PM   #51
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Having both black and white Daytona, all can say is it's doesn't matter if it's black or white, they both look great.

/td
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 05:59 PM   #52
ssetem
"TRF" Member

Watch: blro,daytc,lv,blnr
maybe try to go to grey dealer to view them in person, not sure about nyc locations, only London
ssetem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 06:08 PM   #53
ssetem
"TRF" Member

Watch: blro,daytc,lv,blnr
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzerphilip View Post

The true panda went out the window when Rolex got rid of the matte dial.

The panda had decent legibility because the white subdials were non-reflective matte finished and thus the glossy mirrored hands were discernible. But once Rolex made the dial glossy and the subsidals glossy, the hour and minute hands vanished and disappeared over 2/3 of the dial.

By making them hollow circles as they are currently, there is enough black behind the hands when they pass over the subdials to make them visible. The position of the lume in the hour and minute hands on modern Daytona's are strategically placed as well so they create a positive space as they pass over the subdials.
i think they want panda only on precious metal, like no steel pepsi :(
ssetem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 11:10 PM   #54
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
Unless you're under pressure when using your watch, legibility need not be an issue.
Would you rather look at your watch for a brief moment, or gaze at it for a few seconds?
Regards
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 11:51 PM   #55
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNBLOWER View Post
I have the black dial, its a nightmare to read but something about it keeps it on my wrist...
x2, except I couldn't keep it on my wrist. I owned a black dial 116500 for only a couple of weeks before flipping it. I couldn't read it properly in low light. I kept having to angle it here and there so the hands caught the light. That issue might not matter to everyone, but I found it very frustrating at times. Went white instead, and I have zero issues telling time with this old thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona High Res-TRF.jpg (289.8 KB, 108 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 01:06 AM   #56
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I do think the legibility of the new black is better than the 116520. I've had both versions and found the D500 black easier to read than it's black predecessor. And the look of the black dial on black ceramic bezel is just...stunning.

Usually my counsel would be to wait it out, but I think the black D500 is a whole new ball game. I say give it a shot if you can get your hands on one. You could always flip it for a white one down the road if you wanted.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 01:08 AM   #57
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post

Usually my counsel would be to wait it out, but I think the black D500 is a whole new ball game. I say give it a shot if you can get your hands on one. You could always flip it for a white one down the road if you wanted.
good advice my friend - hope all is well.
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 01:30 AM   #58
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
x2, except I couldn't keep it on my wrist. I owned a black dial 116500 for only a couple of weeks before flipping it. I couldn't read it properly in low light. I kept having to angle it here and there so the hands caught the light. That issue might not matter to everyone, but I found it very frustrating at times. Went white instead, and I have zero issues telling time with this old thing.
Just wow......going to comfort myself with the new white gold... too bad the 6263 market is so crazy now else I'd be so in. Thanks for sharing that shot for us to drool over.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 02:17 AM   #59
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamP View Post
Unless you're under pressure when using your watch, legibility need not be an issue.
Would you rather look at your watch for a brief moment, or gaze at it for a few seconds?
Regards
Legibility is an important quality to me. Absolutely loved the look of my previous black dialed 116520, but it had to go after a few months. The new black ceramic dial does look incredible and it sounds like the matte subdial rings are an improvement from the previous model, but I've decided to hold out for the white dial. I'm not going to lie though... it is hard walking away from the black dial as I could have it now.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 08:12 AM   #60
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
If you want legibility go with the maxi dial submariner or explorer.
I have to agree
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9087.jpg (130.1 KB, 68 views)