The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 9 May 2017, 04:15 PM   #1
Archimede
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP 39mm
Rolex explorer (2016) break-in period & accuracy

Dear all,

I bought one week ago my second Rolex (yeah!! ).
It's an Explorer (2016 model, with longer hands) and I took it from my local AD, where I bought my other watch (OP 39 mm rhodium).

Unfortunately the watch runs about +15 seconds per day
Everybody says that there is a break-in period of about 3/4 weeks but I think that 15 seconds seems to be too much to be recovered.

I afforded big efforts to buy the Explorer and it's a bit disturbing that that watch is running so far from -2/+2 advertised.
For the records, my OP 39 mm is well within specs now.

What should I do? Should I wait or should I send the watch to RSC?

Thanks
Old 9 May 2017, 04:26 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
One week is not really long enough to check the precision of a Rolex but IMO +15 seconds/day is not going to settle down to -2/+2.

Assuming that your data collection method is correct I would still wait longer to confirm this and then book it in.

Fully wind it, wear it in a normal wear pattern and check the results weekly.

Old 9 May 2017, 04:28 PM   #3
captain_NEMO
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
+15 is a bit above average. Did you buy it new or used?

My 1.5 year old Explorer ran a scant over a second/day from the get go and still holding steady til this day.

Probably a quick in-house regulation is in order. I'd talk to the AD sooner than later to discuss your options.
Old 9 May 2017, 04:28 PM   #4
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Who is 'everyone'? As far as I knew there is no break-in period. If there were, how could Rolex test new product for precision.
Get it regulated through the dealer. Simple enough.
Old 9 May 2017, 04:45 PM   #5
Archimede
"TRF" Member

Hi guys
thanks for your answers.
Do you think that the watch could be regulated in place or will be send to Rolex? In other terms: is a 1-day or 1-month thing?
Old 9 May 2017, 04:48 PM   #6
Archimede
"TRF" Member

BTW
I'd like to add a couple of things. Measured on the time grapher the watch is dead precise at +1/day... and if I leave the watch on the table face up it stays precise.
On the wrist though it takes 15 s/day. I set the watch with an atomic clock and check it 24 hours later.
Old 9 May 2017, 05:31 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimede View Post
BTW
I'd like to add a couple of things. Measured on the time grapher the watch is dead precise at +1/day... and if I leave the watch on the table face up it stays precise.
On the wrist though it takes 15 s/day. I set the watch with an atomic clock and check it 24 hours later.
Well first the bare uncased movement is still tested at the COSC to the AVERAGE -4+6 seconds to get its certification Then movement is shipped back to Rolex stored till its matched to a case.Then Rolex regulates on a timeograph to the new -2+2 seconds,as your watch is showing as you state on a timeograph +1 second a day its in spec.Now have you given your watch a full manual wind before wearing thats 40 full crown turns clockwise only then wear for around 8 hours plus a day.As its tested on a machine to below the new spec +1 second a day, like all mechanical watches when on the wrist could be totally different as there are many variables to over come.First the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks,mainspring power-reserve and so on.In most cases like you say being out by 15 seconds it could be down to your testing method.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder

Last edited by padi56; 9 May 2017 at 07:46 PM..
Old 9 May 2017, 05:44 PM   #8
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
Who is 'everyone'? As far as I knew there is no break-in period. If there were, how could Rolex test new product for precision.
Get it regulated through the dealer. Simple enough.
+1

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-ex...n-house-tests/
Old 9 May 2017, 05:50 PM   #9
nursejm
Banned

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Tag.
"Break in period" for watch is just a myth in my opinion.
All watch upon purchased should run within required specs the time you leave the store,
Any deviation should be handled immediately by the warranty asap.
Old 9 May 2017, 06:02 PM   #10
Archimede
"TRF" Member

@padi

Thanks for the clarification. So in the end you think that the problem is due to my testing method and the watch is fine? No regulation needed? Just to understand better.
The other watch I have has the same movement 3132 and on my wrist is very precise. It seems that this watch suffers a lot from positional variation.
I'm confused and don't know what to do
Old 9 May 2017, 06:25 PM   #11
Archimede
"TRF" Member

It's a brand new watch.

Do you know guys if this kind of regulations can be done in-place? Or if the watch needs to be sent in Geneva?
Also: since on the timegrapher the watch is precise, can Rolex refuse to "fix" it?

Sorry if I ask dumb questions; noob here.
Old 9 May 2017, 06:55 PM   #12
nursejm
Banned

Quote:
It's a brand new watch.

Do you know guys if this kind of regulations can be done in-place? Or if the watch needs to be sent in Geneva?
Also: since on the timegrapher the watch is precise, can Rolex refuse to "fix" it?

Your watch needs Adjustment: This is for a watch that is fast or slow or does not have a consistent rate, especially in different positions. The balance wheel needs to be adjusted to compensate for the different positions. Although this too is a simple procedure, it does require a little more time to correct as each position needs to be monitored and adjusted.
Old 9 May 2017, 07:07 PM   #13
bobby81
"TRF" Member

I have had similar problems my Daytona Is running 5/8+ a day & I was told much the same so I'm going to give it a little more time before bothering the AD though if it was running as fast as yours I would be straight to a RSC or AD where it was purchased
Old 9 May 2017, 07:12 PM   #14
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Chaps

I bought the old outdated style 39mm Explorer with the WG digits back and stubby minute hand back in 2014. It has always run at +4s/week from the very first day I bought it. I bought it new and there was no "settling in" period.

Regards

Mick
Old 9 May 2017, 07:23 PM   #15
peterpl
Banned

NONE of my Rolex's have a break in period. All run -2/+2 from the very time I bought it

Only my GMT2c runs at -4s a day. Thats still within COSC so I cant be bothered sending it in.
Old 9 May 2017, 07:46 PM   #16
nursejm
Banned

My new Subc ND bought from AD runs at -1secs per week its like (-.14 secs/day )

Superb accuracy its like a quartz. At night i just rest it with dial up position.
Old 9 May 2017, 07:48 PM   #17
Archimede
"TRF" Member

Ok, so to recap.
Apparently break-in period is a myth: not needed.
While there could be a tolerance on the +2/-2 it seems that my watch (at +15) is way too fast and should require adjustment.

I'll try to go directly to the RSC (in Paris there is one I think) instead passing through the AD, to see if this can speed up.

Before going there, I'll try to measure more accurately my watch for one week. Positional variation should be handled by the service center.

Does this seem a good plan :) ?
Old 9 May 2017, 07:51 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
It's a brand new watch.

Quote:
Ok, so to recap.
Apparently break-in period is a myth: not needed.
While there could be a tolerance on the +2/-2 it seems that my watch (at +15) is way too fast and should require adjustment.

I'll try to go directly to the RSC (in Paris there is one I think) instead passing through the AD, to see if this can speed up.

Before going there, I'll try to measure more accurately my watch for one week. Positional variation should be handled by the service center.

Does this seem a good plan :) ?

Who is doing the testing on the timeograph and what timograph are you using I am sure none of the replies have read your post where you state it runs +1 on the timograph.Most state take it for regulation well thats how regulation is done on a timograph machine and if it comes back at +1 second it does not need any sort of regulation.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 9 May 2017, 07:54 PM   #19
Archimede
"TRF" Member

@padi

so.. in your opinion, the watch is as it is. Nothing to do with it. Is this right?
Old 9 May 2017, 07:56 PM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
@padi

so.. in your opinion, the watch is as it is. Nothing to do with it. Is this right?
Lets have all the information as in my previous post.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 9 May 2017, 08:30 PM   #21
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
I would just wait and see a month before taking it in, it's a shame you can't just exchange it for another at the ad..
Old 9 May 2017, 08:33 PM   #22
Archimede
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmoeck View Post
I would just wait and see a month before taking it in, it's a shame you can't just exchange it for another at the ad..

I don't think I can: I had to wear it a couple of days to understand its behaviour. Why 1 month should make a difference?
Old 9 May 2017, 08:41 PM   #23
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
True, it would but me as well. i also don't think there is a break in period. I was just saying before having it opened or anything. Maybe let it run down and wind
Old 9 May 2017, 08:43 PM   #24
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Quote:
@padi

Acrchimede

Get thee to a computer and type in www.time.is

It gives you spot on local time anywhere in the world.

If you use this, no one can criticise your time keeping.

Regards

Mick
Old 9 May 2017, 10:58 PM   #25
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Better to run fast, than to run slow.
Old 9 May 2017, 11:50 PM   #26
Archimede
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Better to run fast, than to run slow.
Agreed, but still 15 secs it's a bit too much for me.
Will track it for a few days and then will go to the rsc saying that the problem is only when I wear it.
Old 10 May 2017, 12:49 AM   #27
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Will track it for a few days and then will go to the rsc saying that the problem is only when I wear it.
You have still not replied to my question in post 18.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 10 May 2017, 01:49 AM   #28
Archimede
"TRF" Member

Hi

sorry padi, I don't really get the question. It seemed to me that you were saying that in the end the watch correction is done using the timeograph so if the watch is +1 they won't do anything. Am I wrong? Please state the question again if otherwise.
Old 10 May 2017, 03:28 AM   #29
Dauntless
"TRF" Member

I would have someone look at it. I have the same watch. I wear it every day with little regard to its positioning at night. It has consistently been +8 seconds per month. It is extremely accurate, and has been taken care of, but not babied.

I work as a professional, but live in a farm environment, which has taken the watch through some interesting adventures. In many cases I just forget to take it off when I get home. I have also used it for skiing, shooting, and other sports activities. It continues to be a very consistent eight seconds fast per month.
Old 10 May 2017, 04:38 AM   #30
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
I understand. Personally, I'm not a fan of opening my watches unless absolutely necessary.
Closed Thread