The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 May 2017, 07:29 AM   #31
strongarms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Speedy
Uh, preowned prices would go up?
strongarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 07:52 AM   #32
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby T View Post
Having some fun speculating here. What do you guys think would happen pricewise if the new SD had red font only for this one year? Future years' releases would bethe same exact watch, sans the red.
If a person believes that to be the case the he should invest everything into SD43 so he can have a great return.

I hate to say this but there times there hypes into some of the posts attempting pushing up the price of certain watches but hey it's your money do whatever you want.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 08:19 AM   #33
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
You mean like the SD4000 with its 2 year run??
That's the discontinuation of a slow mover for a completely new watch, which presumable will far outsell the prior vs a decision to remove a key design element from a new release for....no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
There was the same discussions when the 216570 came. "Orange text for a limited time" it is still orange.
Yeah that and the 116710LN as well. People love to fantasize about being able to get ahead of the hype. I say good luck with that.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 08:23 AM   #34
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
That's the discontinuation of a slow mover for a completely new watch, which presumable will far outsell the prior vs a decision to remove a key design element from a new release for....no reason.

Yes, the SDc being disco-ed was very predictable and made commercial sense, while halting the red after one year only helps the grey and secondary market, and Rolex couldn't care less about either obviously as has been stated, they want the sales and profit to accumulate to themselves.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 08:26 AM   #35
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
If they stop making the font red after one year I will eat my red wing boots. I have no idea where people get this ridiculous idea from.

I would guess this watch will be available in its current form for 5-10 years given Rolex track record.
Agree...
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 03:39 AM   #36
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
[QUOTE=meganfox17;7621866]Good Morning Sir GMT +7 / DST
Can you answer this pop quiz I've prepared for you ?

" What is THE most sought after,most highly prized Omega SMP Planet Ocean 600 model series among the Moderators and hard core collectors of the Omega Forum ? "

Here are the clues:
1. First execution of the PO series using Liquid Metal Technology with a total production of 1948 timepieces ( 2009-2014)
2. It had a black Liquid Metal bezel not blue
3. It was fitted with the calibre 2500 not 8500
4. Steel not Titanium
5. 42 not 45.5
6. And most significantly it had THE RED SEAMASTER FONT NOT ORANGE

Tough question huh ?

The answer is Ref 22.30.42.20.01.001 PO LM Noir LE with the Red Seamaster writing. Would you believe me if I told you it has a current street value of between USD 85xx-92xx and the price is increasing each year...

I had this watch and it was VERY nice. Got my money back after two years and was quite happy with that.
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 04:34 AM   #37
meganfox17
Banned

[QUOTE=A.I.;7624187]Absolutely Sir and now the red font PO has attained Cult Status like Snoopy, SM300 Spectre and SM Ref 2252.50.

Seriously Sir ,if you had a red PO now and decide to put it up for sale on the WTS section of the OF,you would have a real headache selling it because the watch will create a bidding war among the members and Mods !
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 08:00 PM   #38
dmash
"TRF" Member

Can somebody post some accurate pics of what the red font actually looks like? In some pictures, it looks like a tacky, bright blood red......then others seem like a muted red that blends nicely with the matte dial.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 08:25 PM   #39
Shaky
"TRF" Member

Not go photos from when I treated it on, but I certainly didn't think it looked tacky or blobby. In fact it's pretty muted. It doesn't scream at you from afar. It just looks great when you take a moment to admire the watch.

Some may say the size is what screams at you but lets face it we are talking 3mm, in the grand scheme of things it's not a vast difference.

I like it tbh, but that's because it hits my sweet spot for watch size. 42-43mm.
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 08:27 PM   #40
dmash
"TRF" Member

^ Iwas assuming this was the case. I think some people are editing/enhancing the photos to make colors pop, but not realizing it's creating a stark contrast of the red on the black.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 08:42 PM   #41
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Since this is about speculation, here's my two cents. I foresee a very short production run of probably one year or perhaps two years tops, then a transition to a more traditional white lettering. This is not a staple model like the Sub and the Daytona thus no risk of upsetting many potential buyers when removing the red lettering. This would make the Red SD43 rare on the secondary market and I would expect prices to go through the roof.

disclaimer: I own an SD43
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 08:55 PM   #42
Reinhard in SA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Can somebody post some accurate pics of what the red font actually looks like? In some pictures, it looks like a tacky, bright blood red......then others seem like a muted red that blends nicely with the matte dial.
Took these on Friday, hope it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sd 1.jpg (85.8 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg sd 2.jpg (139.2 KB, 182 views)
Reinhard in SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 10:11 PM   #43
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
Since this is about speculation, here's my two cents. I foresee a very short production run of probably one year or perhaps two years tops, then a transition to a more traditional white lettering. This is not a staple model like the Sub and the Daytona thus no risk of upsetting many potential buyers when removing the red lettering. This would make the Red SD43 rare on the secondary market and I would expect prices to go through the roof.

disclaimer: I own an SD43
As this model and the Sub have a rich history of red lettering, and thus this was widely hoped for and now happily accepted, I think there will be a strong backlash if it is suddenly stopped, if it were green or blue then I could see it reverting to white without much of an issue.
Old 22 May 2017, 10:17 PM   #44
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Here's a shot of what the dial looks like in the sun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (101.0 KB, 160 views)
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 10:17 PM   #45
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Good Morning Sir GMT +7 / DST
Can you answer this pop quiz I've prepared for you ?

" What is THE most sought after,most highly prized Omega SMP Planet Ocean 600 model series among the Moderators and hard core collectors of the Omega Forum ? "

Here are the clues:
1. First execution of the PO series using Liquid Metal Technology with a total production of 1948 timepieces ( 2009-2014)
2. It had a black Liquid Metal bezel not blue
3. It was fitted with the calibre 2500 not 8500
4. Steel not Titanium
5. 42 not 45.5
6. And most significantly it had THE RED SEAMASTER FONT NOT ORANGE

Tough question huh ?

The answer is Ref 22.30.42.20.01.001 PO LM Noir LE with the Red Seamaster writing. Would you believe me if I told you it has a current street value of between USD 85xx-92xx and the price is increasing each year...

The regular versions Ref 2201.50 that soon followed all had Orange Seamaster fonts and are valued at between USD 27xx-32xx

Red is HUGE among the Chinese watch collectors and Rolex knows this all to well.Red symbolizes good luck and prosperity in Chinese customs and beliefs.Red Firecrackers.Red Pocket Money.Red Weddings.It is the only colour that wards off evil spirits and demons if you believe in superstitions!

An OF Guru that goes by the avatar name of Nobel Prize @ Sergio of NYC would tell you that "Red is Legend "

Red is NOT a 0ne Hit Wonder and I believe Ref 126600 production will continue for the next what ? 7-8 yrs down the line.
So there you go! Thank You Sir for giving me the opportunity to express my thoughts

Have a Gr8 Weekend. Peace

I think the 2500 caliber of the Seamaster PO is one of the most beautiful divers out there. Even though I own the 2501.50 with 2500D caliber, which is half the price as my SubC - I get soo many compliments on it over the SubC. The way the crystal disappears at angles is just mesmerizing. I even had people who know nothing about Watches look at both the PO and SubC and 100% of them chose the PO as the better looking of the 2. Although I don't have the Limited Edition version you picture here, I do have the "D" caliber, which is harder to get by. I trust all the limited editions came with the previous "C". In any case, for that little red font and ceramic bezel I cannot justify the price when mine is 99% optically similar and with an upgraded caliber D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 10:32 PM   #46
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Not sure why Rolex would stop using red lettering

I can understand discontinuing a model, which would involve ceasing to produce certain parts, could shift production capacity to another model, etc

But changing ink color seems so trivial, both in benefit and cost, and red is so popular, that it seems silly for Rolex just to change that and nothing else
Sure, collectors would love it, but Rolex doesn't seem to do things just to benefit collectors
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 10:33 PM   #47
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I think red writing is part of design of SD43 and it'll help it distinguish from a regular SubC at a glance. Don't think they'll remove red writing to confuse folks more. Also they are charging $3K more than SubC and it should look a premium product, regular black version wouldn't justify the price difference and would be hard still just like SD4K.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 10:44 PM   #48
James2001
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Most of the pictures of guys wearing the SD43 look like a kid putting on his dads watch
James2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 10:46 PM   #49
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2001 View Post
Most of the pictures of guys wearing the SD43 look like a kid putting on his dads watch
At least we're young at heart
Old 22 May 2017, 11:28 PM   #50
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wrist pics should be taken from further away to give a more accurate depiction
Simply turned my arm for the mirror shot

Old 23 May 2017, 12:14 AM   #51
wytrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
At least we're young at heart
I was thinking whether to bite, I'll grow into it some time, and maybe after that grandpa's Deep-Sea will fit
126610LV
wytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 01:39 AM   #52
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
Not sure why Rolex would stop using red lettering

I can understand discontinuing a model, which would involve ceasing to produce certain parts, could shift production capacity to another model, etc

But changing ink color seems so trivial, both in benefit and cost, and red is so popular, that it seems silly for Rolex just to change that and nothing else
Sure, collectors would love it, but Rolex doesn't seem to do things just to benefit collectors
Don't forget Rolex discontinued red font before and for no apparent reason.
Frankly I thought the Kermit production run was ridiculously long, but only Rolex knows how long they will run with the new red SD.

Personally I would've thought 2-3 years would not be all that unrealistic.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 03:58 AM   #53
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Don't forget Rolex discontinued red font before and for no apparent reason.
Frankly I thought the Kermit production run was ridiculously long, but only Rolex knows how long they will run with the new red SD.

Personally I would've thought 2-3 years would not be all that unrealistic.
Good point about the older red text

Did the Kermit run last until the ceramic Sub came out, or ended before that?
Old 23 May 2017, 04:25 AM   #54
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I bet you're like a hundred.
Old 23 May 2017, 04:54 AM   #55
Richmor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Patek
Quote:
Having some fun speculating here. What do you guys think would happen price wise if the new SD had red font only for this one year? Future years' releases would be the same exact watch, sans the red.
Since we are speculating, what about the 116660 John Cameron? If you had to choose between the new SD43 and the D-Blue, which one would be your choice. Why?
Have a Great Day.
Old 23 May 2017, 05:47 AM   #56
henry333
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Lol
henry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 08:22 PM   #57
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
Good point about the older red text

Did the Kermit run last until the ceramic Sub came out, or ended before that?
My memory is failing me a little, but I think you will find the Kermit was finished a little before the SubC release.
The Kermit production run went for about 7 years I think.
Old 23 May 2017, 08:57 PM   #58
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I bet you're like a hundred.
And 50 is the new 15
Old 23 May 2017, 09:08 PM   #59
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
And 50 is the new 15
I feel left out as I never ever tried on my dads watch.

It's still at home somewhere though and if I remember correctly, even as a child I always thought it looked a little small on him.
Talking of fashion.
I also remember him doing a sort of left arm salute as was popular back in those days that I have seen in old movies, whilst wearing a long sleave shirt so he could tell the time as opposed to simply pulling the sleave back a little.
He had it during the war and wore it for decades until he was given a Seiko digital in the early 80's which I think is long gone.
Old 23 May 2017, 09:12 PM   #60
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I feel left out as I never ever tried on my dads watch.

It's still at home somewhere though and if I remember correctly, even as a child I always thought it looked a little small on him.
He had it during the war and wore it for decades until he was given a Seiko digital in the early 80's which I think is long gone.
It would be really great to have a watch from my father. He wasn't a watch person, but I always remember him wearing a watch. Me was a sheep farmer and during lambing season, he'd take it off to assist the ewe's lamb.