The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2017, 03:52 AM   #1
versetti88

Submariners on NATOs

Hey all,

I recently visited an AD to view a Submariner that I plan on purchasing for a future grail. In my visit, I was thinking about possible strap options, and I feel like a NATO could completely transform a Sub.

Personally, I love the look of an O.D. or Khaki Green NATO on the 116610LN Submariner. It gives it a rugged, tooly look that I feel fits it perfectly. I understand that there have been threads on this topic before, but I noticed they are all pretty old, so I wanted to make an updated thread to see what RF members think about Subs (or Sea-Dwellers, or GMT-Masters, or any divers, basically) on NATOs.

Thanks!
-versetti88
versetti88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 10:56 AM   #2
BristolCavendish
Banned

Go for it. My first post here on TRF was about getting a substantial markdown on a new Submariner while opting to dispense with the stock SS Oyster bracelet. Saved close to $2K and never looked back.

A blue-gray solid-colored NATO watchstrap looks good on a Submariner (along with basic black). I've tended to steer clear of the multi-colored/striped NATOs (i.e. black/gray with red pinstripes) as they sometimes have a way of looking like birthday/Xmas party ribbon wrapped around one's wrist.

As far as regular maintenance goes, just toss 'em in the washing machine during the course of your regular laundering and have an alternate NATO handy. The folks who claim/complain that NATO watchstraps can get grungy over an extended period of time are probably the same ones who wash their undies and socks every 2-3 months.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 03:33 AM   #3
ElGancho
"TRF" Member

I keep my 5 digit on a nato. Mainly because my day job is hell on the watch and the bracelet was always snagging on things. That being said I like the bracelet better than the NATO, but can't beat the NATO in a tough environment and the added safety if a spring bar goes is nice. I initially hated the NATO till I modified the strap and cut off the doubler thing. It sits better on the wrist for me that way, they are cheap so you can try different things with them. Have fun and enjoy it!
ElGancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 03:39 AM   #4
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Just my opinion. I prefer to keep my £6K Sub on the bracelet that was designed specifically for it by the company that makes the watch, rather than put it on on 30 quid strap. If others prefer a NATO, thats fine, it's their watch. I have never heard of a bracelet failing on this (or any other) forum.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 04:12 AM   #5
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Hi versetti88,

could it be that the trend came about because of the 5517 milsub? you could put any sub on a nato strap and at a glance the impression would be that it was a 5517, I like my SS bracelet as this is what it came with. Rgds "H"
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 07:37 AM   #6
versetti88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Go for it. My first post here on TRF was about getting a substantial markdown on a new Submariner while opting to dispense with the stock SS Oyster bracelet. Saved close to $2K and never looked back.

A blue-gray solid-colored NATO watchstrap looks good on a Submariner (along with basic black). I've tended to steer clear of the multi-colored/striped NATOs (i.e. black/gray with red pinstripes) as they sometimes have a way of looking like birthday/Xmas party ribbon wrapped around one's wrist.

As far as regular maintenance goes, just toss 'em in the washing machine during the course of your regular laundering and have an alternate NATO handy. The folks who claim/complain that NATO watchstraps can get grungy over an extended period of time are probably the same ones who wash their undies and socks every 2-3 months.
Completely agree on the topic of multi-coloured NATOs. Thanks for the advice on maintenence; definitely helpful!

Have a great day,
-versetti88
Old 22 May 2017, 07:39 AM   #7
versetti88

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post
Hi versetti88,

could it be that the trend came about because of the 5517 milsub? you could put any sub on a nato strap and at a glance the impression would be that it was a 5517, I like my SS bracelet as this is what it came with. Rgds "H"
The 5517 mil-sub definitely serves as a great example of a NATO on a sub gone right, and to say it hasn't been an influence is a lie!

-versetti88
Old 22 May 2017, 07:41 AM   #8
versetti88

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Just my opinion. I prefer to keep my £6K Sub on the bracelet that was designed specifically for it by the company that makes the watch, rather than put it on on 30 quid strap. If others prefer a NATO, thats fine, it's their watch. I have never heard of a bracelet failing on this (or any other) forum.
A few months ago I would be tempted to agree, but I think that babying a timepiece who's purpose was originally diving a exploring is a blatant disrespect to the piece. You could keep it on the original bracelet, but I think that doing that just because of it's price is a bit ludicrous, in my opinion.

-versetti88
Old 22 May 2017, 07:46 AM   #9
versetti88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGancho View Post
I keep my 5 digit on a nato. Mainly because my day job is hell on the watch and the bracelet was always snagging on things. That being said I like the bracelet better than the NATO, but can't beat the NATO in a tough environment and the added safety if a spring bar goes is nice. I initially hated the NATO till I modified the strap and cut off the doubler thing. It sits better on the wrist for me that way, they are cheap so you can try different things with them. Have fun and enjoy it!
Thank you! I definitely am in the same situation with you. I'm currently in school, and that position puts me in a position of a lot of hands on activities as well as physical activity which I believe could lead to the bracelet getting broken, which isn't favourable considering the price of a 116610LN bracelet is expensive and hard to track down, which I don't want to go through when I could just order a $15 replacement NATO and be done with it, y'know?

-versetti88
Old 22 May 2017, 09:21 AM   #10
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by versetti88 View Post
Thank you! I definitely am in the same situation with you. I'm currently in school, and that position puts me in a position of a lot of hands on activities as well as physical activity which I believe could lead to the bracelet getting broken, which isn't favourable considering the price of a 116610LN bracelet is expensive and hard to track down, which I don't want to go through when I could just order a $15 replacement NATO and be done with it, y'know?

-versetti88

What activity do you think could break the bracelet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 09:23 AM   #11
versetti88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
What activity do you think could break the bracelet?

Possibly banging it against tools, as a lot of the activities I partake in require the usage of heavy tools. I'm not exactly sure and that could've been an exaggeration, but I don't really want to risk it.

Old 22 May 2017, 09:25 AM   #12
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Possibly banging it against tools, as a lot of the activities I partake in require the usage of heavy tools. I'm not exactly sure and that could've been an exaggeration, but I don't really want to risk it.

I'd be more concerned about that flimsy little buckle on the nato.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 09:26 AM   #13
versetti88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post

Really? I guess I'll have to see which one works better for me when I get it.

Old 22 May 2017, 09:31 AM   #14
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
X2
Old 22 May 2017, 09:32 AM   #15
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Quote:

I work with tools a lot at work and am much more concerned with breaking the crystal or ceramic bezel than the bracelet. I have managed to scratch everything but the bezel insert on my watch but it will all be sorted out at the first service.

Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 09:33 AM   #16
versetti88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
I work with tools a lot at work and am much more concerned with breaking the crystal or ceramic bezel than the bracelet. I have managed to scratch everything but the bezel insert on my watch but it will all be sorted out at the first service.

Hmm! Interesting. I feel like I might be in the same situation in the future.

-versetti88
Old 22 May 2017, 10:07 AM   #17
Blue_Lume
Banned

Watch: Alleen Rolex
Nato is a great option. Not just for a break from a heavier bracelet, but for fashion as well.

It's just not for everyone. Some people are concerned about the "flimsy clasp"... I understand the concern as that seems like a weaker point of contact.

But maybe not - the pin goes through the hole, the buckle locks it in place; wouldn't it be harder for that to come undone vs. the clasp on my 16713 gmt master 2?

Anyhoo - I think you should go for it. I highly recommend cheapestnatostraps.com as they have the biggest selection of straps, sizes and colors of buckles. It is here where i found the rose gold buckle for my rose gold daytona, etc etc. highly recommend.

Here are 2 photos of a 5 digit and 6 digit reference on strap.
I was even able to find a $52 james bond strap on ebay with the acier rolex clasp - that is pretty cool you have to admit.

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 7.59.57 PM.jpg (38.2 KB, 779 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 8.00.25 PM.jpg (33.7 KB, 777 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 8.00.54 PM.jpg (19.9 KB, 781 views)
Blue_Lume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 10:21 AM   #18
versetti88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Lume View Post
Nato is a great option. Not just for a break from a heavier bracelet, but for fashion as well.

It's just not for everyone. Some people are concerned about the "flimsy clasp"... I understand the concern as that seems like a weaker point of contact.

But maybe not - the pin goes through the hole, the buckle locks it in place; wouldn't it be harder for that to come undone vs. the clasp on my 16713 gmt master 2?

Anyhoo - I think you should go for it. I highly recommend cheapestnatostraps.com as they have the biggest selection of straps, sizes and colors of buckles. It is here where i found the rose gold buckle for my rose gold daytona, etc etc. highly recommend.

Here are 2 photos of a 5 digit and 6 digit reference on strap.
I was even able to find a $52 james bond strap on ebay with the acier rolex clasp - that is pretty cool you have to admit.

Enjoy!
Jeeeeeeez - I've made my decision! Nice pieces!

-versetti88
Old 22 May 2017, 10:23 AM   #19
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I run my 5 digits with lug holes on them quite often!
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 10:40 AM   #20
run23
"TRF" Member

Submariners on NATOs

Love Subs/divers on NATOS. I especially use when I'm actually doing something underwater or surfing as knowing I would be ok with a spring bar failure is one less worry.IMG_3565.jpg
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 10:45 AM   #21
Old Expat Beast

The only broken springbars I recall seeing on TRF have been on watches worn with a nato, which has "saved" the watch by only breaking or dislodging a springbar on one side of the case.
Old 22 May 2017, 12:42 PM   #22
run23
"TRF" Member

I don't get the objection to putting a $20 nato on a $7,000 watch. I understand not liking the look, but what does price have to do with anything? If the nato were woven with diamond encrusted platinum threads and cost $1,500, would that make the nato strap more worthy of a Rolex?
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 01:15 PM   #23
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
The only broken springbars I recall seeing on TRF have been on watches worn with a nato, which has "saved" the watch by only breaking or dislodging a springbar on one side of the case.
Natos don't put anymore stress on a spring bar than a strap or a bracelet. They have the same exact contact area as any other method to hold a watch onto your wrist. But if you wear any nato/zulu/strap/bracelet to tight it can causes issues eventually.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 02:48 PM   #24
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Natos don't put anymore stress on a spring bar than a strap or a bracelet. They have the same exact contact area as any other method to hold a watch onto your wrist. But if you wear any nato/zulu/strap/bracelet to tight it can causes issues eventually.
I don't think that's true... I can't find the exact source right now but I believe it has less to do with the points of contact and more on the directional pressure.

Also keep in mind that the Milspec subs had case-welded spring bars and so a NATO is completely and 100% secure to the watch.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 03:39 PM   #25
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaTurtle View Post
I don't think that's true... I can't find the exact source right now but I believe it has less to do with the points of contact and more on the directional pressure.

Also keep in mind that the Milspec subs had case-welded spring bars and so a NATO is completely and 100% secure to the watch.
Agreed, I'm pretty sure the pressure on the springbar is less with SELs installed.

Either way, "shouldered" springbars can get dislodged by being pulled or "snagged" sideways by the nato. Hence the apparent "saving" of the watch by the nato strap when that happens. (And smooth springbars aren't ideal on no-holes cases because you have to cut them out when you want to replace the bracelet).
Old 22 May 2017, 04:35 PM   #26
Flstfirider
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor

NATO straps are an easy way to change up you watch.
Flstfirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 12:45 AM   #27
hitman23
"TRF" Member

I remember Rolex did sell the Admiralty Nato strap. I inquired at the NYC RSC a few years back and they offered it to me at a hefty price which I passed on.

I love nato straps, but would only use them with spring bars with no shoulders. I've had a couple pop out due to the strap catching on the shoulder.
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 12:50 AM   #28
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaTurtle View Post

The point of contact on a nato and any other strap on a spring bar is the raised is the highest part of the spring bar, which is the center section. If you can tell me how a nato contacts other parts of the spring bar besides the center of the spring bar then I am all ears.
Old 23 May 2017, 12:52 AM   #29
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
Quote:
Agreed, I'm pretty sure the pressure on the springbar is less with SELs installed.

Either way, "shouldered" springbars can get dislodged by being pulled or "snagged" sideways by the nato. Hence the apparent "saving" of the watch by the nato strap when that happens. (And smooth springbars aren't ideal on no-holes cases because you have to cut them out when you want to replace the bracelet).
Exactly. That's one of the reasons SELs are so desired, in addition to the more solid feeling they give the bracelet.

And yes, NATOs tend to endanger and then "save" the watch after a spring bar failure. It's almost a self-fulfilling prophecy. I like the look, but choose to use natos on my less expensive watches.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 12:56 AM   #30
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don't see how a nato would pull anything, it isn't actually wrapping around the spring bar multiple times to constrict it. In my experience people who run the wrong springs bars that don't have the correct size tips always have an issue.