The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 22 May 2017, 09:36 AM   #1
JWhitfiels
"TRF" Member

Stolen Rolex NYC

Hi all,

2 weekends ago I was approached by a group of young men at 9th ave and 2nd St in NYC, they roughed me up a little and ultimately stole my 114060. This was my only Rolex and I had worked long and hard to purchase it, so I was heartbroken.

That said, though it may be foolish, I haven't given up on having it returned to me. I have been checking Craigslist in NYC, the boroughs and NJ. I've also filed, a police report and filed a stolen watch report with Rolex. Additionally I am checking Chrono24 and watchrecon to see if it turns up.

If anyone has anywhere else they would be checking, or other ideas, I'd love to hear them. It has distinctive scratches on the clasp, and so would be able to tell it's mine by pictures.

Stay safe out there, don't slow down if you're approached at night.

Josh
JWhitfiels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 09:39 AM   #2
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry to hear those "animals" stole your watch. Glad to know you're okay. Any chance security cameras captured them?
Old 22 May 2017, 09:39 AM   #3
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Really sorry to hear this. Where exactly did this happen? 9th Ave starts at 14th St, and 2nd Street doesn't go out that far west. just curious to know where this went down.

Again really sorry about what happened to you and hope somehow you can get your watch back.
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 09:41 AM   #4
JWhitfiels
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Sorry to hear those "animals" stole your watch. Glad to know you're okay. Any chance security cameras captured them?
I've left it with the police to check this, though they haven't responded about any security footage at this point.
Old 22 May 2017, 09:43 AM   #5
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitfiels View Post
I've left it with the police to check this, though they haven't responded about any security footage at this point.
I think I'd personally ask some of the businesses in the area. In this day and age, I'm sure there's a camera that caught what happened.
Old 22 May 2017, 09:43 AM   #6
JWhitfiels
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS1 View Post
Really sorry to hear this. Where exactly did this happen? 9th Ave starts at 14th St, and 2nd Street doesn't go out that far west. just curious to know where this went down.

Again really sorry about what happened to you and hope somehow you can get your watch back.
Thanks, it happened in the small park out side of the church there, just where Stuyvesant ends, it's called Lebewohl Park.
Old 22 May 2017, 09:47 AM   #7
JWhitfiels
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
I think I'd personally ask some of the businesses in the area. In this day and age, I'm sure there's a camera that caught what happened.
Ok, that's a good idea, I'll reach out myself but would expect resistance to turning it over to a citizen instead of the police.
Old 22 May 2017, 09:50 AM   #8
AS1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitfiels View Post
Thanks, it happened in the small park out side of the church there, just where Stuyvesant ends, it's called Lebewohl Park.
ah, gotcha, I think you got your ave/street the wrong way in your original post (9th Ave/2nd St vs 2nd Ave/9th St).

It's a pretty busy area with many restaurants, bars and people, kinda scary that this went down there. I live not too far away; there's a pawn shop called E M on 10th street which is really close, maybe worth a call?

Otherwise, I can't think readily of anywhere close by where a thief could readily try to sell a second hand watch, so I suspect it went somewhere else in the city.

Again, thanks for sharing your story and I really hope somehow you can find the watch.
Old 22 May 2017, 09:56 AM   #9
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
Glad you're okay. A lot of times, the watch isn't enough and the victim gets hurt or killed. We all cherish our Rolexes, but no watch is worth your life.

I hope you are successful in getting your watch back. Please keep us posted.
august1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 09:57 AM   #10
JWhitfiels
"TRF" Member

Quote:
ah, gotcha, I think you got your ave/street the wrong way in your original post (9th Ave/2nd St vs 2nd Ave/9th St).

It's a pretty busy area with many restaurants, bars and people, kinda scary that this went down there. I live not too far away; there's a pawn shop called E M on 10th street which is really close, maybe worth a call?

Otherwise, I can't think readily of anywhere close by where a thief could readily try to sell a second hand watch, so I suspect it went somewhere else in the city.

Again, thanks for sharing your story and I really hope somehow you can find the watch.
Thanks, I'll swing by EM tomorrow.
Old 22 May 2017, 09:58 AM   #11
Blue_Lume
Banned

Watch: Alleen Rolex
2nd ave and 9th is not that shady at all - but crime goes down pretty quickly.

Guys, remember this, in the time it takes to pick up your phone and dial 911 - you're in real real trouble with someone who knows what they are doing.

Head down, nope nope keep moving.
Blue_Lume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 09:58 AM   #12
JWhitfiels
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by august1410 View Post
Glad you're okay. A lot of times, the watch isn't enough and the victim gets hurt or killed. We all cherish our Rolexes, but no watch is worth your life.

I hope you are successful in getting your watch back. Please keep us posted.
Yeah, my girlfriend's take was that I'm just lucky they got it without a fight and didn't just beat me and take my wallet, etc.
Old 22 May 2017, 10:29 AM   #13
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Glad you're ok. Thank goodness for insurance.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 10:29 AM   #14
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Post the full serial number in this thread. It will be searchable on google and other engines.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 10:33 AM   #15
JWhitfiels
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Post the full serial number in this thread. It will be searchable on google and other engines.
I'm hesitant to do this as a pawn shop owner may realize it's stolen and treat it differently or not send it in for service, and I figure it being returned through service is my best shot at this point.
Old 22 May 2017, 10:48 AM   #16
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
You might try PMing Relyt (Tye). He has helped others by checking the law enforcement pawn shop database since he is in law enforcement. Glad you were not hurt too bad and I hope you get your watch back.
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 11:38 AM   #17
JWhitfiels
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
You might try PMing Relyt (Tye). He has helped others by checking the law enforcement pawn shop database since he is in law enforcement. Glad you were not hurt too bad and I hope you get your watch back.
Thanks for your message, I will send him a message.

After a couple helpful PMs, I think that posting the Serial No. is probably the smart thing to do.

Serial No.: 66S11446 (Rolex 114060)
Old 22 May 2017, 03:34 PM   #18
khrystyan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think the OP means Brooklyn, by Prospect Park.
khrystyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 11:04 PM   #19
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Terrible
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 11:55 PM   #20
AS1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrystyan View Post
I think the OP means Brooklyn, by Prospect Park.
nope, the park he mentioned is in Manhattan at 2nd Ave and 9th St.
Old 23 May 2017, 05:23 AM   #21
occb2
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
Hey brother. Sorry to hear about what happen. PM me. I am now retired but I was a detective for 15 years in the NYPD. I know from the PC who use to be the commanding officer of my PCT too the Chief of D's who was my CO in the Bronx detective squads. I know that most of lower Manhattan is under surveillance and stores have video. I will make some calls for you to make sure your case isn't closed if there are still leads there. I know that there are 2 types of detectives. I worked with all kinds of them. But there are the basic 2 types. Ones looking to just make money on bull crap and ones that actually love the satisfaction of a solved crime. If you have a serial number and you narrow down the time of crime and location they have a few leads. If they can get them going into the subway there is a new metro card data base. Video on subway too. Lets not let these animals get away with your hard Earned Rolex. I got my first one when I turned 30. My 16610! It lived through a lot of crap with me. Lets try to get yours back.
occb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 06:12 AM   #22
Heartlandblaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Humble but mine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by occb2 View Post
Hey brother. Sorry to hear about what happen. PM me. I am now retired but I was a detective for 15 years in the NYPD. I know from the PC who use to be the commanding officer of my PCT too the Chief of D's who was my CO in the Bronx detective squads. I know that most of lower Manhattan is under surveillance and stores have video. I will make some calls for you to make sure your case isn't closed if there are still leads there. I know that there are 2 types of detectives. I worked with all kinds of them. But there are the basic 2 types. Ones looking to just make money on bull crap and ones that actually love the satisfaction of a solved crime. If you have a serial number and you narrow down the time of crime and location they have a few leads. If they can get them going into the subway there is a new metro card data base. Video on subway too. Lets not let these animals get away with your hard Earned Rolex. I got my first one when I turned 30. My 16610! It lived through a lot of crap with me. Lets try to get yours back.
Appreciate you staying on the job! Stay safe and enjoy retirement!
Heartlandblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 06:31 AM   #23
khrystyan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
nope, the park he mentioned is in Manhattan at 2nd Ave and 9th St.
Oh, I see, I misunderstood the post.

To the OP; You're getting great tips and help here. Hopefully you can recover the watch. Good luck!
khrystyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 08:32 AM   #24
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
Quote:
Proof positive that this is a COMMUNITY and not just an internet forum.
august1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 09:29 AM   #25
530ExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
Really sorry to hear about this. Hopefully you had insurance. Glad you're safe and hopefully you can get your watch back. Good luck!
530ExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 10:07 AM   #26
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Disgusting, hope they catch these lowlifes. Best of luck recovering and getting your watch back.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 11:18 AM   #27
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 01:08 PM   #28
occb2
Banned

Hey I called the 9th sqd and spoke to a grand larceny/Robbery detective. Still haven't got a PM from you. He has no complaint of a stolen Rolex in his command. We are talking about Manhattan right? There is what is called a UF61# which is your complaint number. Can you shoot it to me. I asked him to check the local pawn shops and he gets copies of their intakes weekly. Before I start to ask for more favors can you let me know the exact location and date and time. They also have a data base that all pawn shops have to report although some are shady. I will send this to you as a PM too. Lets do the most possible to get your watch back. I am going to my nephews graduation tomorrow in Madison square garden I can pop in to the PCT after if you get it to me by 3PM. I hate it when they win! You earned your watch! They didn't.

Just looked at their year to date statistics. They have 3 robberies last week and 11 in the last 28 days. So I wonder if I got one of the "Lazy" ones! Hope not. Let me know I really can pop in tomorrow. I normally can't. I live in Orange County NY and just happen to be in NYC for a college graduation tomorrow. Would love to go talk shop.

Here is their figures

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/down...-us-009pct.pdf

Last edited by occb2; 23 May 2017 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Add detail
Old 23 May 2017, 09:43 PM   #29
JWhitfiels
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the well wishes and tips everyone, should have reached out to this community sooner.

OCCB2 - I've PM'd you.
Old 23 May 2017, 11:08 PM   #30
occb2
Banned

Replied brother.