The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 August 2009, 11:50 PM   #61
pain888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyo View Post
I have banned William Bartman for life. They were extremely rude to me and my GF.... She even wrote a letter to the owner (no response of course).

Better to buy from TRF anyway.
the brooklyn is full of old russian sales lady but u have to deal with steven . the Manhattan store is very nice n well manner.

"LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST"
pain888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2009, 09:42 AM   #62
GMTJOHNNY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2007 DAY DATE 18KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle L View Post
Can't stand that Tourneau. I like going to smaller watch stores, they tend to take more notice of you and help you more.
I agree. Been there several times with cash in hand and their attitude drove me right to the Grey Market. I think the only thinkg that keeps that store in business is the lousy tourist market.
ROLEX AIR KING 14000 (1991)
ROLEX GMTIIC TT 116713LN (2008)
GMTJOHNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2009, 09:51 AM   #63
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I was in New York today for a business meeting, it was finished early and on the way back to my hotel I walked right by the Tourneau on 57th(?). It is unbelieevably adourned, chrome, polished brass everywhere, a beautiful store. The only two previous times I've walked into Tourneau, I was not treated well, but have an open mind and thought I'd see what was in there.

When I walked in, I was greeted very nicely by a young man at the front door. As it turns out, he was the only nice person in the place, they should promote him to manager. He asked how he could help me, I expressed that I was curious if they had the new DJII yet. He said: "Rolex? that's on the second floor sir" And he pointed the direction to the stairs. Like I said, it tured out he was the only nice employee in the store.

I was dressed in Khaki slacks, a button down shirt, carrying my suit jacket and loosened tie. I'm not the most handsome man in the world but villagers don't chase me with torches every night either. I also had my SS Daytona in plain site on my wrist. Point is, I looked respectable, and I would think like a potential customer.

As I walked up stairs, there were two men in suits, (EVERY employee in the place was impeccibly dressed in fine suits) talking to each other across the sales counter. I wasn't sure, but suspected one on the customer side could be just that, a customer, so didn't bother either one of them. Another employee was defintely helping a customer, so I just browsed the display cases. They did NOT have a SS Daytona, at least not on display, but a HUGE collection of everything else. After a few minutes, the one customer finished their business and left. About the same time I stood next to the two men in suits talking, and from their conversation discovered they were both employees, talking (actually complaining) about one of the managers. The third employee replaced the watches the customer had been looking at then brought out some paper work, I was IGNORED. NO ONE asked if they could help me, said: "Hello" told me to go to hell... it was like I wasn't even there.

I demand respect, so I stepped in front of the sales person standing alone, he turned his back to the ME and kept working on the counter behind him without saying a WORD. So... I walked to the two employees having their discussion and practically pushed my way in between them. They both stopped talking and looked at me, didn't say anything, just looked at me. I (probably sarcastically) said: "I'm so sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you had the newDJII in yet" One replied: "No,... November" And turned back to his assoicate to contiue their conversation.

No one asked (as they should) if hey could show me any other model, or was there anything else I was interested in, other standard basic respectable retail practices. I was so infurriated I stormed out of the store.

I know I SHOULD have demanded to see the manager, or some other form of complaint, but I was so DISGUSTED, I knew I wouldn't handle it professionally so I walked out.

This experience, was so incredibly wrong..... I hope someone from Tourneau in NY reads this, because it's the last bit of communication they'll ever here from me, I'm certainly not buying my DJII from them. My adivce to everyone on TRF is avoid that place like it's got Sine Flu or something.
And because of many testimonies like this, I will NEVER spend one cent in their establishments. Never!

Good enough for me......!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2009, 10:09 AM   #64
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I have never heard a good opinion of Tourneau in terms of customer service. Not a one!
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2009, 10:11 AM   #65
dkpw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 & 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
Its kinda like being in France. Treat them like crapola and your in like lint. Just grab one of them and say....."I need some service, and since your not doing anything but chatting........you will do nicely". If they give you any crap, just tell them..."People like you are PAID to help people like me! If you have a problem with that then we can call your manager." Walk into the place like you own it. If you receive good service then that is a different story.
Sorry to break into this American nightmare! My heart really bleeds for you. What a bunch of whining, spoilt, arrogant so and so's you come across as. Why not try to treat sales people like human beings. Politely ask for service if you want it and say "I'm just looking" if you don't.

Come to the UK with the above attitude and see what you get. Huh!

David
dkpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2009, 10:22 AM   #66
hotfiber

Watch: GMT Master IIc
Many salespeople in any type of upscale store act snobby if you're casual. I'm usually dressed down as I work in the videogame production industry. Ironically the salespeople who behave this way earn a third of my salary. It makes me wonder what it is that they feel so superior about
hotfiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2009, 11:14 AM   #67
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSellJerseyShore View Post
Paul you should have let me know you were coming to town!

-Frankie
Next time Frankie! You're buying the drinks!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2009, 11:23 AM   #68
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Sorry about your experience, but I noticed that you DEMAND respect, I always thought that was something that you earned.

I am surprised you do not know that the CUSTOMER IS KING....??...
...and as such... a King "demands" respect, he does not have to earn anything
from a retailer...who exists because of the "King's" benovelence.

On the other hand, the employees must "earn" their salary, to pay the rent
to put food in the table, to take care of their family etc.

So I repeat...CUSTOMER IS KING...and...YES... "demands" respect
as well as attention and assistance...

...and definately not to be ignored by Junior or Senior ... sales idiots.
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2009, 11:23 AM   #69
iSellJerseyShore
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Next time Frankie! You're buying the drinks!

Deal!

When I come to San Diego you will have to buy drinks!

-Frankie
iSellJerseyShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2009, 11:26 AM   #70
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSellJerseyShore View Post
Deal!

When I come to San Diego you will have to buy drinks!

-Frankie
No Friggen Way!...
Old 22 August 2009, 11:37 AM   #71
jimbones43
"TRF" Member

Horrendous!!!!

I guess like most, one of my all time pet peeves is customer service. It doesn't cost anything to be nice, say hello, or in their case actually ask to help a potential customer. I will never understand this type of practice. Is it poor training, lack of supervision, low pay, or all of the above?

JImC
jimbones43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2009, 11:57 AM   #72
NewYorker

Watch: GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbones43 View Post
I guess like most, one of my all time pet peeves is customer service. It doesn't cost anything to be nice, say hello, or in their case actually ask to help a potential customer. I will never understand this type of practice. Is it poor training, lack of supervision, low pay, or all of the above?

JImC
You hit the nail on the head Jimbones. There are so many unemployed people who could make Tourneau a much more successful outfit, if only they cut their staff that don't have their hearts in the right place. Bad training, and low pay are no excuse to not be friendly. Give me the Wal-Mart greeter behind the counter instead of the grumpy guy in a suit any day of the week.
NewYorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2009, 12:29 PM   #73
dmb51599

Watch: Daytona 16520
I must say that I have had great experiences here at Tourneau in Coral Gables and the Aventura mall. Very friendly and outgoing staff there. But it's continual posts such as this about them as a whole that will keep me from ever spending a dime in there.
dmb51599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2009, 12:56 PM   #74
Thrasher

Watch: 16710 Coke
I had a positive experience at the Tourneau at the Huntington/Walt Whitman mall. I still get calls from them advising me when they've received a SS GMT ll, the model I was interested in at the time. The salesman also took the time to show me some Breitlings, as he knew I liked the aviation theme.

I guess Manhattan is a different animal.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2009, 01:45 PM   #75
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

they have a store in White Plains, the salespeople are all over you and show you anything you want, no problem.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2009, 01:54 PM   #76
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb51599 View Post
I must say that I have had great experiences here at Tourneau in Coral Gables and the Aventura mall. Very friendly and outgoing staff there. But it's continual posts such as this about them as a whole that will keep me from ever spending a dime in there.

This post doesn't make any sense at all to me.
Idle Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2009, 02:16 PM   #77
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pain888 View Post
onkyo which one u went to the brooklyn one or manhattan. anyway i can provide u steven email n u can email him the complaint . Hes the Vice President. That was the first time i brought a rolex in usa. i usually buy from Hong Kong
I went to the Manhattan store on Broadway and the problem person was a salesman named Juan Carlos. It was about 2 years ago so there is not point complaining more now and who knows if he still works there .... a letter was mailed to the owner and no surprise there was no response.

The Brooklyn store seems not so knowledgeable about Rolex.... as someone said a bunch of older Russian women working there (no offense to Russians as I am Russian ). And one of the women working the service desk scratched my GMT IIc when I had it sized. They charge $25 for sizing Rolex also. Unfortunately, I noticed the scratch when I got home.

I think there are much better AD to buy a Rolex from than William Bartman in NYC area. I always tell people I know to avoid WB at all costs.
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 01:30 AM   #78
hdman1216

Watch: Zenith Defy Open
Icon8

They are by far the worst dealers on the Planet!
hdman1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 02:07 AM   #79
Thomas2

I used to live there and went in quite often, One fellow in the pre owned dept. was always such a jerk, but nevertheless I needed to see what they had, I ended up at Kenjo just down the street where I was treated very well. I have purchased 4 from them over the last couple of years.
Thomas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 02:08 AM   #80
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
It's gotta be a tough job...thousands of lookie-lou's coming in every day asking for Daytonas and discounts...and discounts on Daytonas.
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 23 August 2009, 02:32 AM   #81
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
It's gotta be a tough job...thousands of lookie-lou's coming in every day asking for Daytonas and discounts...and discounts on Daytonas.
True.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 03:07 AM   #82
RobY330i
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT IIc "V"
My only experience was @ Pentagon City. They were very accommodating and treated me well. I spent about 1/2 an hour there.
BTW, I was dressed in very casual jeans and dress shirt.

I prefer to dress casual when I go shopping for high end goods.
Lets me know who will get my business.
RobY330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 03:08 AM   #83
TheVTCGuy
Banned

I agree with both of you... and I am not without compassion for those people that have to put up with morons every day... I know I couldn't do it. But that still doesn't excuse the fact that I wasn't even greeted! A simple, "hello" or "can I help you" was all that was necessary, and I was wearing my SS Daytona in plain site! So they had to compute that I was a valid potential customer... Wouldn't any competitant Rolex Sales guy conclude that?

I don't know...
Old 23 August 2009, 07:20 AM   #84
ayecarumba
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one I'm wearin
Yeah, not so hot on Tourneau....

I've been to 3 of the Tourneaus mentioned in this thread and had similar experiences:

57th: Several visits...Was not impressed...was actually a bit surprised at the paltry # of Rolexes available considering this is their FLAGSHIP store...staff seem apathetic to indifferent. Is it that hard to find people who actually like and know anything about what they're selling? Of course, the adage about hiring those with positive and good attitude bears mention. The attitude of the leadership can be judged by the subordinates. Poor buggers.

Reflecting a bit, perhaps they're so used to some Wall Street guy coming in with his bonus $$$ and buying with little to no knowledge nor wanting a relationship with an AD that they can't adjust to the fact that this guy and his $$$ are scant. The manager's daily meeting must be a freak out fear fest where he implores his people to move products or else!

53rd: Several visits....Much better than 57th, but that's not saying much. Smaller store, sales staff seem more laid back and more helpful.

Atlanta: Salesman was TOO assertive and ignored my wife (not good!)...she felt uncomfortable as he was hovering over me like a hawk and she left the store and stood outside (guys, you know that's the "Vamanos!" signal!) That plus as mentioned, this one doesn't have any Rolex.

Perhaps a better moniker for Tourneau would be "Sales Machine" vs. "Time Machine."

That's all they really seem to care about in the end and it shows in their mediocre to poor instore experience.

It's pretty damning that no Tourneau employees past or present have chimed in here which only shows they really don't have anyone who has any knowledge or passion for watches.

I'm stepping down off my box now!

--Paul

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his planets in chime,
Marketh the going of Time." --Edward Fitzgerald
ayecarumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 07:38 AM   #85
DBS91274

Watch: 1991 GMT
Sorry for your experience. I have been treated like that before when I wander into a Tourneau in sweatpants, t-shirt, sneakers and not shaven for 9 days. Then they notice I speak like a gentleman and also notice the GMT Master II prominently displayed on my wrist.
I had a great experience at Tourneau Garden State Plaza Mall in Paramus, NJ. The one in Vegas was terrible and treated me like a savage. I have better experiences at small stores that are authorized Rolex dealers. NJ has a few good ones. Write a nice business letter to the corporate office mucky mucks.
DBS91274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 08:53 AM   #86
ayecarumba
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one I'm wearin
Fwiw...

A quick search turns up lots of unflattering links to the overall poor experience at Tourneau....

On Yelp:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/tourneau-san-francisco

Here's what they say they're looking for their help wanted ads:
http://jobs.climber.com/jobs/Sales-S...ociate/1873105

...One little telling gem from the ad: "... If you desire to compete and succeed in our system, we really want to talk to you. Not a Watch enthusiast? Not a problem! We have a comprehensive yet dynamic training program with Sales Managers that are committed to making you successful...." HA!

and just to be fair here's their link:

http://www.tourneau.com/Tourneau/Mai...A84BFE2BE5DDB0
and their facebook page...maybe somone should tell them about this?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tourne...=wall&viewas=0

--Paul

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his planets in chime,
Marketh the going of Time." --Edward Fitzgerald
ayecarumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 09:05 AM   #87
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

Here in SoCal, Tourneau is an AD for many of the brands that I like...I don't like the store..the people...but...kinnda stuck if I want to look at stuff

sorry about your experience...at least the sales should have asked "may I help?" even if the typical response was "I am just looking"
Old 23 August 2009, 09:10 AM   #88
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Originally Posted by GoldenBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
True.
I remember a older salesman who told me..
even the dust that a visiting client leaves behind from his boots ..is good for business !!

I believe top paid salesmen can turn any lookie-lou into a client
than the average "Tour-neau" (definately Neau-lol)....order taker.
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 09:26 AM   #89
YuppieKid
"TRF" Member

Take it from someone who grew up in Manhattan and who has been in that store .....

Welcome to New York. I'm glad I left!!!

Old 23 August 2009, 09:28 AM   #90
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Tourneau sucks....the worst one is the one in Las Vegas.
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote