The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 September 2009, 05:23 AM   #121
billykmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, TTGMT, SUBc
Long thread... I would have to agree with Dadswatch72... customer service is important and a sales person should try to be helpful. However, after reading all the comments, I do feel as though people feel entitled for something. I'm not in sales, so hard for me to comment on what it feels like when there are lots of people flowing in and out of a store and just looking around, but nevertheless, the sales guy should try to at least see if one needs help with something. However, if you find that you are getting angry for no particular reason (esp if you haven't asked for anything yet expecting full service) then perhaps there is a deeper issue within oneself. Life is too short to get all hot and bothered by poor sales folk. If they give you great service, "Great!" spread their names to your friends. If they treat you poorly for whatever reason (bad day, got yelled at by their manager, etc etc) "Great!" You can only control how you react to a situation, and walking out may be an option.. talking to the manager may be another.. or just ignoring that sales person and talking to another. Just a thought since I find it ironic that when someone is just looking around and may not be wanting to buy, and they also have a rolex already on their wrist, that they somehow demand more respect and courtesy...
billykmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2009, 05:30 AM   #122
charger
Banned

Watch: Yachtmaster 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by billykmd View Post
Long thread... I would have to agree with Dadswatch72... customer service is important and a sales person should try to be helpful. However, after reading all the comments, I do feel as though people feel entitled for something. I'm not in sales, so hard for me to comment on what it feels like when there are lots of people flowing in and out of a store and just looking around, but nevertheless, the sales guy should try to at least see if one needs help with something. However, if you find that you are getting angry for no particular reason (esp if you haven't asked for anything yet expecting full service) then perhaps there is a deeper issue within oneself. Life is too short to get all hot and bothered by poor sales folk. If they give you great service, "Great!" spread their names to your friends. If they treat you poorly for whatever reason (bad day, got yelled at by their manager, etc etc) "Great!" You can only control how you react to a situation, and walking out may be an option.. talking to the manager may be another.. or just ignoring that sales person and talking to another. Just a thought since I find it ironic that when someone is just looking around and may not be wanting to buy, and they also have a rolex already on their wrist, that they somehow demand more respect and courtesy...
You are so right
charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2009, 07:49 AM   #123
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by billykmd View Post

Valid points Billy, (and Dad's watch), and I maybe should have handled it differently, actually, I know I should have. But it was one of those days and I.. well, I admit to having a short-fuse sometimes; not vilolent of course but I knew that I was on the verge of not handling it professionally; so I walked out. In regards to the Daytona, I was not implying that I demand respect because I had one on my wrist, but more so that dressed professionally, and having a Rolex on my wrist, I would THINK, that I would appear to be a good prospective customer to the sales staff... I'm not in sales but isn't that kind of common sense? If I already had a Rolex and was looking at a Rolex display case, wouldn't that appear to the staff that I was a good candidate for a purchase? Somebody in sales help me out here...

Good comments from everyone, thanks, and I was thinking about printing them up and sending it to customer service at Tourneu Corporate... what do you think?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2009, 08:01 AM   #124
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Good comments from everyone, thanks, and I was thinking about printing them up and sending it to customer service at Tourneu Corporate... what do you think?
Not a bad idea at all
Old 11 September 2009, 08:25 AM   #125
billykmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, TTGMT, SUBc
We all have those moments of having a short fuse (I am very guilty of this). I do agree that most sales people should have an idea who is a potential customer. The auto industry is similar I believe. If you go to a mercedes dealership with a 20 y/o pinto, you may not get the attention vs someone who already ones an older mercedes who may be wishing to upgrade. Nevertheless, any sales person should offer help to anyone coming in... even if they do not look like they may purchase something that day.
billykmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2009, 09:29 AM   #126
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
[QUOTE=sammyj;1328830]Your "complaint" says worlds more about you, than it does about the sales people at the Tourenau store! In fact, it appears to be just one more instance of a nasty, mean-spirited person dumping on the hardworking people in retail who are trying to survive on commission in a very challenging environment. You've made assumptions, jumped to conclusions, projected your own self-loathing onto innocent bystanders and are now attacking those same people in a public forum in your attempts to hurt them and make them pay for how you see yourself. The people at Tourenau NYC don't deserve you. And neither does any other retailer. "Customers" like you are TOO MUCH TROUBLE! Luckily Tourenau doesn't need you and is probably completely unaffected by your rantings and those of others. Obviously they are surviving the economic downturn. At least, I haven't heard of them closing any stores. You probably hate hearing that.[/QU
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2009, 09:30 AM   #127
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyj View Post
Your "complaint" says worlds more about you, than it does about the sales people at the Tourenau store! In fact, it appears to be just one more instance of a nasty, mean-spirited person dumping on the hardworking people in retail who are trying to survive on commission in a very challenging environment. You've made assumptions, jumped to conclusions, projected your own self-loathing onto innocent bystanders and are now attacking those same people in a public forum in your attempts to hurt them and make them pay for how you see yourself. The people at Tourenau NYC don't deserve you. And neither does any other retailer. "Customers" like you are TOO MUCH TROUBLE! Luckily Tourenau doesn't need you and is probably completely unaffected by your rantings and those of others. Obviously they are surviving the economic downturn. At least, I haven't heard of them closing any stores. You probably hate hearing that.
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2009, 03:17 PM   #128
Borderwarrior

Watch: Datejust,ExpyII
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Bought mine from Tourneau in Huntington, NY. They were very professional and treated me well. Got 10% off my new Sub ND.
Same here. I guess Huntington is the exception to the rule!
Borderwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2010, 03:57 PM   #129
dannyny

Watch: Daytona
i think you guys are too sensitive, i walked into tourneau one saturday afternoon with a tee shirt on with sneakers and everyone in there was really nice to me offered to show me anything i wanted in the rolex dept asked if they had a ss daytona they said no and to be honest with you its only for our vip clients im said it was understandable since that watch is so sought after went to the panerai dept the guy there showed me anything i wanted as well told me if i came back he would even give me a discount i dun know why you guys here bash tourneau its jus a ny attitude i guess i dun know?? but every time i go out of state i feel ppl are wayyyy too nice maybe that's normal.
dannyny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2010, 04:02 PM   #130
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyny View Post
i think you guys are too sensitive, i walked into tourneau one saturday afternoon with a tee shirt on with sneakers and everyone in there was really nice to me offered to show me anything i wanted in the rolex dept asked if they had a ss daytona they said no and to be honest with you its only for our vip clients im said it was understandable since that watch is so sought after went to the panerai dept the guy there showed me anything i wanted as well told me if i came back he would even give me a discount i dun know why you guys here bash tourneau its jus a ny attitude i guess i dun know?? but every time i go out of state i feel ppl are wayyyy too nice maybe that's normal.
In TRF Everyone is a VIP client...
Old 19 April 2010, 04:03 PM   #131
dannyny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybump View Post
awesome!! how about that VIP discount??
Old 19 April 2010, 04:04 PM   #132
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
awesome!! how about that VIP discount??
Anytime your ready danny...
Old 19 April 2010, 04:04 PM   #133
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
Quote:
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2010, 04:07 PM   #134
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
Dang this is one old thread.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2010, 04:11 PM   #135
dannyny

Quote:
Anytime your ready danny...
thanks!! i'll definitely let you know when im ready or the next time im in ur hood i'll pick up something
Old 19 April 2010, 04:12 PM   #136
dannyny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkongkelley View Post
i was bored
Old 19 April 2010, 04:12 PM   #137
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkongkelley View Post
Old 19 April 2010, 04:51 PM   #138
Seventh Son
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
It's gotta be a tough job...thousands of lookie-lou's coming in every day asking for Daytonas and discounts...and discounts on Daytonas.
Soo true!!! I own a retail store and I dun think people understand our problems with "customers". Not that I condone bad attitude and behaviour..
Old 19 April 2010, 05:20 PM   #139
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikAalto View Post
I have mixed feelings about this.

I understand that customer service is important, and at minimum, they should have made an effort to greet you and ask if you would like any assistance.

On the flip side, not everyone that browses a watch case wants to be greeted immediately. I prefer to be left alone until I have made a decision.
+1

Now, Tourneau as a whole is known for their crappy service. Its their corporate culture and nothing more. Their ego has gotten too big for their own good
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2010, 05:25 PM   #140
mikelprz
Banned

Watch: Rolex Batman
This is what I think about Tourneau

And, as for "sammyj"

He must be a sales rep from Tourneau
mikelprz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2010, 05:39 PM   #141
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

I got bored reading all the responses and I know I'm late to the thread but since someone else brought it back to life, I'll throw my two cents...

Unless you looked like you were living on the street and smelled like urine, don't think that you were ignored because of your appearance. High end boutiques in NYC are not like that of any other city in the North America. Nearly all sales people worth a spit in this city would never judge you by your appearance. There are only two types of sales people here: One that is pissed off at the world because they suck at their job and life in general and those that do their job well.

Those that do their job well would leave perceptions of financial viability at home. There is more money in this city than the next 3 largest cities in North America. Add to that, the vast majority of visitors to this country make a point to stop and shop in NYC. Most of them don't give a damn about impressing their salesman and those that judge end up losing the sale to someone else.

I can tell you that my wife works at a high end boutique. Their number one customer spends an average $250k a year in her store and when she's out shopping, she looks like she just rolled out of bed and dressed like she's about to clean the bathroom. If she were to walk into a typical boutique in Beverly Hills or Miami, she'd easily be ignored which is fine by her.
Old 19 April 2010, 11:12 PM   #142
Watch Professor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC; Sub Date
I agree with you about the 57th st store and especially the Vegas store. However, not all of the "T" stores are the same. I have purchased an Omega from the Huntington, LI store, and a GMT IIC from the Roosevelt Field LI store and was treated well in both places. In fact, I received a nice discount in the Rossevelt Field store. The best of the "T" stores is in the Bal harbor shopping mall in Florida. A very knowledgable salesmen spent almost an hour letting me try on varous PP watches, some costing well over $100,000. We also talked Rolex collecting, and he was a collector of "Red" subs. It seems that each store is diferent and probably takes its attitude from management.
Watch Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2010, 11:25 PM   #143
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
I had a very similar experience to yours.... I have bought a total of 8 Rolex watches so far and none have been from Tourneau and there is a good reason why!
Old 20 April 2010, 12:01 AM   #144
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I refuse to "dress up" in order to receive service in any store. I've walked into stores in T-shirts and jeans with every intent to purchase but have left when I was treated poorly.

When I first moved to town after my residency, I contacted a highly-recommended Realtor to help me find a starter home for my family. When he heard my price range, he completely lost interest in a sale, and I found another Realtor. A few years later when word got out that I was looking for a big house on a lake, he called me offering his services. I told him "Sorry, but you lost any chance for a sale when you ignored me years ago."
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2010, 12:19 AM   #145
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I'm not the most handsome man in the world but villagers don't chase me with torches every night either.
I love that para Paul! class my friend
Old 20 April 2010, 12:28 AM   #146
dannyny

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I refuse to "dress up" in order to receive service in any store. I've walked into stores in T-shirts and jeans with every intent to purchase but have left when I was treated poorly.

When I first moved to town after my residency, I contacted a highly-recommended Realtor to help me find a starter home for my family. When he heard my price range, he completely lost interest in a sale, and I found another Realtor. A few years later when word got out that I was looking for a big house on a lake, he called me offering his services. I told him "Sorry, but you lost any chance for a sale when you ignored me years ago."
you have to understand sometimes agents only cater to a certain market. its like going to a ferrari dealership and asking for a honda and vice versa it just wont work
Old 20 April 2010, 12:46 AM   #147
marie
"TRF" Member

Watch: UN Starry Night
Quote:
you have to understand sometimes agents only cater to a certain market. its like going to a ferrari dealership and asking for a honda and vice versa it just wont work
I have been on both sides of the track financially… There is no excuse for sales people to look down upon potential customers merely based on appearance. That said, if they want to ignore me based on my appearance fine… I would much rather give the commission to a sales rep who, like myself has a heart to know what it is like to be judged and can identify with a greater cross-section of the population. I feel that type of person, no matter what they are selling, will be more likely to actually listen to their customer and truly try to fit them with the product or service that best fits their needs. jmho
Old 20 April 2010, 12:54 AM   #148
AstroBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT-Tona/EXII/Tudor
Bought my wife her C70 Volvo 2 years ago. I walked in the dealership with my yardwork clothes. Wrote them a check for the offer and tell them they have 15minuntes to make the deal! If they prefer cash, I can get them cash! Man....I threw them off from their normal sales acts, "Let me check with my manager for you" !

"Life Is Not A Problem To Be Solved But A Reality To Be Experienced"

"JJ - Your smile takes all my troubles away!"
AstroBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2010, 12:55 AM   #149
papasmurf
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex
That's very common everywhere at highend stores in NYC.

it's amazing how consistently condescending customer service people are in manhattan. so i refuse to give them any business.

try to get anyone to help you at saks or bergdorff. good luck
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2010, 01:20 AM   #150
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
That's very common everywhere at highend stores in NYC.

it's amazing how consistently condescending customer service people are in manhattan. so i refuse to give them any business.

try to get anyone to help you at saks or bergdorff. good luck
I'm confused with your post. When you refer to customer service people, do you mean the service you receive from a sales person or the service you receive from the customer service department?