The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 June 2017, 08:40 PM   #1
Star Ferry
Banned

Seiko SLA017 -- the first diver

What do you all think about this watch? I'm not especially interested in vintage Seiko, but it does seem cool -- the reasonable 40mm diameter is also nice, considering the size of most Seiko divers. Would definitely like to grab one of these

https://monochrome-watches.com/seiko...-review-price/

Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 09:18 PM   #2
PJ S
Banned

I have to agree with the comments in the linked review – the price is unjustified, even if you prefer it more than the MarineMaster 300.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 09:25 PM   #3
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
It's a great watch Steve...glad to see fellow forumers appreciate a good watch which is not your everyday Seiko. But as stated, I would not spend this kind of money for this either. I love everything about this watch except for the price. I'd rather grab a GS for this money.
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 09:43 PM   #4
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Nice, although a tad expensive and I prefer a larger size. I would either go up to a GS model, or down to a less expensive Seiko.
Old 27 June 2017, 09:50 PM   #5
SearChart
TechXpert

If money wasn't an issue I would have jumped to get one immediately. Go for it if you can!
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 12:46 AM   #6
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
I am a buyer at 1500. Over that no thanks. And a unregulated 8l35 for that price is a no go.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 01:31 AM   #7
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

I agree with the comments above. It's a great looking watch but too expensive at that price.
Minimalist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 01:43 AM   #8
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
I am a buyer at 1500. Over that no thanks. And a unregulated 8l35 for that price is a no go.
It’ll not be unregulated, but it just won’t have the extra time spent on regulation as the Grand Seikos do, unless they produce this in the same Studio.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 02:19 AM   #9
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

It's gorgeous.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 02:28 AM   #10
Surefire
"TRF" Member

I would just like share my story on this piece. I made a reservation for this I believe is a limited edition to 2000pcs. Anyway yes it is a bit overpriced for the movement somewhat closed to GS movement. But in the end whatever sings to me is important, neither reasonable nor overly priced Seiko. It is what it is, this is what we live for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

" ang relo ni leroy ay Rolex "
•• 16570 •• 114060 ••
Surefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 02:30 AM   #11
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
I can get your run of the mill 7s26 to run at cosc within minutes, it's no hassle.
If accuracy is not as pleased out of the box I would just get it regulated, yeah it's a trip to a watchmaker, so what.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 06:50 PM   #12
vintagehartmann
"TRF" Member

Re:

I picked up mine today! Having had two 62MAS previously, this one is a no-brainer for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surefire View Post
I would just like share my story on this piece. I made a reservation for this I believe is a limited edition to 2000pcs. Anyway yes it is a bit overpriced for the movement somewhat closed to GS movement. But in the end whatever sings to me is important, neither reasonable nor overly priced Seiko. It is what it is, this is what we live for.

vintagehartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 07:55 PM   #13
osamu
"TRF" Member

Absolutely love this, but yea I couldn't spend that over like a Black Bay or Speedmaster.

I would probably be a buyer at $1.5k, and definitely around $1k.
osamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 08:43 PM   #14
PrinceT
"TRF" Member

Nice looks stunning

PrinceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 09:17 PM   #15
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good looking watch but I would not get into any vintage Seiko's or others that demand a premium for purchase. I have been playing with the Seiko's for a few years now and I currently own a modern Turtle on the Rubber strap. For what it is, I think it is a great beater and keeps almost perfect time. You should be able to find some great Seiko's for around $300.00 give or take a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161205_091754.jpg (174.1 KB, 2592 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 10:06 PM   #16
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
What do you all think about this watch? I'm not especially interested in vintage Seiko, but it does seem cool -- the reasonable 40mm diameter is also nice, considering the size of most Seiko divers. Would definitely like to grab one
I made some inquiries about the 62MAS SLA017. It hasnt arrived in Malaysia yet somewhere in August / Sept , i've been told. Heck ! It has MY Avatar profile number too ! And I'm a sucker for Vintage watches fitted with High Tech engineering sophistication. Heard the watch is even highly scratch resistant, sort of like Sinn's Tegimented or Bremont's Steel casing. I'm definately interested but let's see the fit and finish of the watch in the flesh before any decision is made.

I'm pretty sure the retail price of the 62 MAS SLA017 would be in the range of USD 3000-3200 in Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok or Jakarta. It would be a tad more expensive in Singapore though.
So if you are interested or a die hard Seiko fan ,my advice to you is to purchase this LE watch here
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 12:32 AM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Looks great. I wish GS divers had those hands. I can't get comfortable with the imo over stylized hands they use.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 01:12 AM   #18
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Nice watch, but too expensive for what it is.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 09:46 AM   #19
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I'll definitely get this one! It fits my parameter - a reissue, a diver and a smaller case size. To each his own as they say.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 10:15 AM   #20
GermanyMatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711, 126610
Agree it should be priced around the MM300, which I own. I can't imagine paying what they're asking.
GermanyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 06:07 PM   #21
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
I like it very much & was only looking at the review pictures of it yesterday evening . Bit overpriced ,but being a LE no doubt it will sell out pretty soon, given there are lots of Seiko lovers out there including me . I think the price in Europe will be about €3800 = £3344 = $4343 at current exchange rates which will probably price me out .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 06:43 PM   #22
adnjoo
"TRF" Member

good but way overpriced.. I wouldn't pay 200$ for it which is what I paid for my last Seiko Kinetic diver which had issues getting to full charge
adnjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 07:14 PM   #23
wb55
"TRF" Member

Would love one but at that price I'll stick to my MM300. Annoying.
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 07:15 PM   #24
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by adnjoo View Post
good but way overpriced.. I wouldn't pay 200$ for it which is what I paid for my last Seiko Kinetic diver which had issues getting to full charge
I agree , forget Kinetic. The SKX007 is the one to go for in my view, just about bulletproof and if it ever breaks down just buy another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seiko 006.jpg (165.9 KB, 2498 views)
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 07:44 PM   #25
regnant
"TRF" Member

Nice watch but I prefer Seiko 5 diver models
Old 29 June 2017, 07:49 PM   #26
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
I'll definitely get this one! It fits my parameter - a reissue, a diver and a smaller case size. To each his own as they say.
Congratulations!

I still want one. I just want to handle this watch in person first
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 08:23 PM   #27
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Nice.
Old 29 June 2017, 09:59 PM   #28
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
I would just like share my story on this piece. I made a reservation for this I believe is a limited edition to 2000pcs. Anyway yes it is a bit overpriced for the movement somewhat closed to GS movement. But in the end whatever sings to me is important, neither reasonable nor overly priced Seiko. It is what it is, this is what we live for
Sir, I heard the demand for this exact duplication of the 1965 62MAS Ref 6217 is really high.Now I even have my doubts whether this watch would actually see the light of day in Malaysia!While I havent made any online pre booking for the SLA 017,I spoke to the GM of 0ne of Seiko's biggest boutique in Kuala Lumpur and inform him to give me a call if he receives any news on the timepiece or had been alloted a single unit.I previously bought a Samurai Blue Lagoon and a Tuna SD from the AD so I'm hoping the GM would entertain my request to see the watch first...

Want to hear a story?A local Chinese seller here had made 2 pre order online bookings for the Seiko.When I asked him why two, he simply said he'll keep one and flip the second for a profit so that's a Win-Win situation !

Is the asking price for 'the ugly dolphin' justifiable? Perhaps not, but that's exactly why this timepiece might yet be Seiko's most important triumph card to break consumers 'cheap seiko mentality'
This is Seiko's 1st ever Diving Watch, the Grand Daddy and the prototype of all future G of divers and deservingly so to be tagged at a premium.Dont like it Sir ? No problem.Just move along and some0ne else will gladly grab your spot.

1# Do you remember Omega's LE Speedy Tuesday Speedmaster ?That watch generated such an overwhelming response beyond expectations that all 2012 units were sold out in 4 hours ! And each Speedy Tuesday is a cool USD6.5 G

2 # Do you know which timepiece in Baselworld 2017 recorded the highest number of readers comments (both negative and positives)on twitter and watch blogsites? Was it the Rolex Red Sea Dweller Ref 126600 ? Dont be ridiculous.The answer is the Seiko Prospex Diver SLA 017.Of course it doesnt prove anything but every watch aficionados and bargain hunters alike seeking for a vintage reissue are giving this watch some serious consideration

Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt the SLA 017 is the second cheapest vintage reissue after Benjamin Clymer of Hodinkee Longines Heritage 45 ?
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 12:19 AM   #29
Surefire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Sir, I heard the demand for this exact duplication of the 1965 62MAS Ref 6217 is really high.Now I even have my doubts whether this watch would actually see the light of day in Malaysia!While I havent made any online pre booking for the SLA 017,I spoke to the GM of 0ne of Seiko's biggest boutique in Kuala Lumpur and inform him to give me a call if he receives any news on the timepiece or had been alloted a single unit.I previously bought a Samurai Blue Lagoon and a Tuna SD from the AD so I'm hoping the GM would entertain my request to see the watch first...

Want to hear a story?A local Chinese seller here had made 2 pre order online bookings for the Seiko.When I asked him why two, he simply said he'll keep one and flip the second for a profit so that's a Win-Win situation !

Is the asking price for 'the ugly dolphin' justifiable? Perhaps not, but that's exactly why this timepiece might yet be Seiko's most important triumph card to break consumers 'cheap seiko mentality'
This is Seiko's 1st ever Diving Watch, the Grand Daddy and the prototype of all future G of divers and deservingly so to be tagged at a premium.Dont like it Sir ? No problem.Just move along and some0ne else will gladly grab your spot.

1# Do you remember Omega's LE Speedy Tuesday Speedmaster ?That watch generated such an overwhelming response beyond expectations that all 2012 units were sold out in 4 hours ! And each Speedy Tuesday is a cool USD6.5 G

2 # Do you know which timepiece in Baselworld 2017 recorded the highest number of readers comments (both negative and positives)on twitter and watch blogsites? Was it the Rolex Red Sea Dweller Ref 126600 ? Dont be ridiculous.The answer is the Seiko Prospex Diver SLA 017.Of course it doesnt prove anything but every watch aficionados and bargain hunters alike seeking for a vintage reissue are giving this watch some serious consideration

Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt the SLA 017 is the second cheapest vintage reissue after Benjamin Clymer of Hodinkee Longines Heritage 45 ?

Hello Meganfox, I couldn't agree with you more. Your observations were spot on. It is true that Seiko has been and always a favorite for critics, and onlookers alike for they have a vastly extensive lineup of watches from $100+ SKX to $10,000+ GS. Seiko caters a variety of enthusiasts, collectors and people who doesn't really care at all just for the sake of wearing a watch.

With regards to Seiko, from their very reasonably priced watch (which I don't want to call them cheap ) to their most expensive lineup they always use in-house movement and yet Seiko was still being branded as a "not so ok" watch as opposed to the big boys of the industry, which I don't mind at all. Seiko will always be a Seiko that most people will always admire and love. A brand with a solid history and quality with their timepieces.

In the end fairly priced or not, I will buy the watch that I think is worth buying and suits my budget. Not just because people say this or that, but because I like it and I want to own one.

I would just like to share as well the story of my Tudor BBN, which I bought awhile back, people say it is not worthy granted that it houses a ETA. For me that is the beauty of it. It will add up to the history of the watch. Imagine 30+ plus years from now when people will start talking about the watch who ones used a ETA and had a limited production time. Will it be worthy? Who nows right? But still I bought it because There is a need for wanting it.

Just let me know if I can help make some arrangements if you are interested with the Seiko SLA.

" ang relo ni leroy ay Rolex "
•• 16570 •• 114060 ••
Surefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 09:52 PM   #30
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Seiko SLA017 -- the first diver

Hi Meganfox and Surefire,

Both of your comments are definitely spot on. Indeed beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We seek for things that we think are of value to us. No one can compel us, and definitely we are not obligated to listen, heed, or follow opinions of others, be it favorable or adverse. We the buyer will always make the final decision.

For me, I never had a Seiko watch before, even when I was growing up. The closest that I got was an Alba watch, and at that time I wear my Alba watch proudly. But deep inside me, I always wanted a Seiko, but not just getting a Seiko for the sake of getting one. The Seiko that I would get must appeal to me first, pricing being secondary.

Finally, I'm happy to pull the trigger on both the Grand Seiko 253 and the SLA017. Love those two reissue models, also fit my collection parameters, and most of all, finally was able to get the Seiko that is a beauty to me.

Have a great weekend!

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote