The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 December 2008, 01:20 PM   #1
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Pocket watch forum?

Hey guys and guyettes, there have been some pretty good posts recently with some great pocket watches as the focus. So, how many of you have pocket watches you'd like to show and discuss, how many are interested in getting one, and how many would be interested in a pocket watch sub forum?

I've been thinking about harassing Steve about establishing a pocket watch sub forum, but I'm going to spare him the pain of having to listen to my whining until I know there's enough support in the forums to carry it.

So, what say you? Is a pocket watch sub forum doable?
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2008, 01:40 PM   #2
cameron
Banned

Watch: ss gmt 11 c
Good idea. There must be many members who have inherited pocket watches from grand-parents and beyond who would like to exchange info. Are our present watches the pocket watches of tomorrow in so far as time will be marked by phone/computer/etc ?
I wonder how many of us have gained our interest in watches from these ornate timepieces of the past. I have also noticed a running theme on the forum about members wanting to pass on their watches to their children and owning/wearing a watch on a particular occasion. I am looking forward to reading other views.
cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2008, 03:15 PM   #3
Zman86
"TRF" Member

I love pocketwatches. I have my own that my father bought me when I was younger. And though its not mine yet, we also have a 1901 Gold Waltham pocketwatch. My dads grandfather bought it brand new. Also have another small gold pocketwatch that belonged to my great great grandmother, very ornate and highly decorated, but I cant find any info about it on the net. Been meaning to get some pictures up for a while, but it would be great to have a place to put them.
Zman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2008, 03:33 PM   #4
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Good idea, Al. It would be a natural development of this forum, and gauging interest is definitely a good first step in determining if we should proceed.
Old 15 December 2008, 03:39 PM   #5
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I agree that it would be a good idea. We have some old pocket watches (and some cool vintage wrist watches) from my husband's great-uncle.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2008, 03:52 PM   #6
Ashley
"TRF" Member

When I was a kid, I thought pocket watches were a lot cooler than regular watches. I still think that they're really neat
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2008, 11:33 PM   #7
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
I'm all for this. I grow increasingly fascinated by pocket watches, although I don't have a clue how I'd use them day to day should I find myself lucky enough to get one.
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2008, 12:17 AM   #8
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Al, that is interesting. I don't currently own a pocket watch but have recently been thinking about how cool they are. I remember my grandfather always carried one and I thought it was neat when he pulled it out of his pocket to check the time. Every other adult I was aware of wore a wristwatch.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2008, 01:01 AM   #9
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Here's a teaser. 1865, 18k, chain fusee drive, key wind and key set. Take a look at how worn the bow is (the ring where the chain attaches). This watch has definitely been used.

Still runs, although its use is limited to a couple of key winds every once in a while nowadays. It'd be a pain if the fusee chain broke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg al fusee 3.JPG (63.2 KB, 34 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Old 16 December 2008, 04:30 AM   #10
Ashley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
Here's a teaser. 1865, 18k, chain fusee drive, key wind and key set. Take a look at how worn the bow is (the ring where the chain attaches). This watch has definitely been used.

Still runs, although its use is limited to a couple of key winds every once in a while nowadays. It'd be a pain if the fusee chain broke.
It's very pretty!
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2008, 12:13 PM   #11
Lubrifar
Banned

Watch: for the signs!
I've been thinking about pocket watches lately, but really have no idea where to start? Any suggestions?
Lubrifar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2008, 12:22 PM   #12
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Anything to do with watches is par sum by me! I would love to see it! Another learning opportunity!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2008, 12:41 PM   #13
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubrifar View Post
I've been thinking about pocket watches lately, but really have no idea where to start? Any suggestions?
You bet!

Elgin, Illinois, Hampden and Waltham represent some great values in pocket watches, and most parts can still be had. There's some great reading here:

http://elginwatches.org/databases/index.html

http://www.pocketwatchsite.com/about.html

http://www.antique-pocket-watch.com/...ket-watch.html

Beyond that there are many pocket watches from the 1700's and 1800's still chugging along. For me they represent a much better bang for the buck than the relatively new wrist watches.
Member #1,315