The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 October 2010, 10:45 PM   #121
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat View Post
You're strangely quiet SINCE THE GIANTS WON THE NL PENNANT!!!! lollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollo llollollol
i was in dallas for the weekend... went to game 6.... great people... the game was terrible for me..... 1954???? LOUD AND CLEAR......

PENNANT??? the yankees have won the pennant 40 times..... its all about winning the world series..... 1954 for the hapless LOSER GIANTS!!!!!!!!
rolexgiants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 05:27 AM   #122
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
i was in dallas for the weekend... went to game 6.... great people... the game was terrible for me..... 1954???? LOUD AND CLEAR......

PENNANT??? the yankees have won the pennant 40 times..... its all about winning the world series..... 1954 for the hapless LOSER GIANTS!!!!!!!!
But not this year duuuuuuude!
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 05:28 AM   #123
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Giants won, congratulations Can't take that away from them

I'm rooting for the Rangers though. I would love to see them win for Josh Hamilton after what he battled and beat

Either way, it's no sweat of my back
You're a good sport, Rock.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 08:36 AM   #124
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat View Post
You're a good sport, Rock.
Thanks John If I dish it out, I have to take it too I'm a die hard Yankee fan but also a baseball fan

LET'S GO RANGERS...CLAP, CLAP, CLAP CLAP CLAP

Good luck to the Giants too. Both teams deserve to win
Old 26 October 2010, 12:44 PM   #125
t e x
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
little ranger $68 mil payroll slay the big bad nyy $200 mil. next up. sf baby. c'mon rangers!
t e x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 11:10 PM   #126
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t e x View Post
little ranger $68 mil payroll slay the big bad nyy $200 mil. next up. sf baby. c'mon rangers!
well.... NOT TRUE.... major league baseball (really the yankees..lol) were supporting the bankrupt rangers..... cliff lee should have never been a ranger to begin with.... cant argue the facts....so lets really not cry about payroll....
Old 27 October 2010, 12:14 AM   #127
t e x
"TRF" Member

Quote:
well.... NOT TRUE.... major league baseball (really the yankees..lol) were supporting the bankrupt rangers..... cliff lee should have never been a ranger to begin with.... cant argue the facts....so lets really not cry about payroll....
lmao, not crying about payroll, actually a jab on your use of the word "little" . yankees flat-out got beat. end of story

+1 to what mailman says!

go rangers

Old 27 October 2010, 12:33 AM   #128
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
lmao, not crying about payroll, actually a jab on your use of the word "little" . yankees flat-out got beat. end of story

+1 to what mailman says!

go rangers

the rangers were the better team... without question..... but should a bankrupt team being supported by MLB be allowed to add payroll (cliff lee).... VERY BAD FOR THE SPORT....
Old 27 October 2010, 12:42 AM   #129
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
the rangers were the better team... without question..... but should a bankrupt team being supported by MLB be allowed to add payroll (cliff lee).... VERY BAD FOR THE SPORT....
Actually it was a smart move by baseball. MLB put new ownership into place and with the signing of a couple of key players it ensured Texas was a contender. This translates into revenue and put Texas into the World Series making this team relevant again. The amount of revenue generated by this playoff run is huge.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2010, 12:49 AM   #130
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner View Post
Actually it was a smart move by baseball. MLB put new ownership into place and with the signing of a couple of key players it ensured Texas was a contender. This translates into revenue and put Texas into the World Series making this team relevant again. The amount of revenue generated by this playoff run is huge.
lol..lol..lol... smart move??? it wasnt fair at all to other teams who struggle and dont fold up the tent... come on its a joke.... boys will be boys..... cubans offer was much higher than the greenberg/ryan offer.....
Old 27 October 2010, 12:54 AM   #131
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
hey..minnesota is small market.... they have a great team year after year.... how about mlb GIVES them cliff lee and tells the twins dont worry about it..... the other 29 teams will foot the bill for lee's salary....
Old 27 October 2010, 12:56 AM   #132
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

and BY the way... dont get me wrong.... THE RANGERS WOULD HAVE BEATEN THE YANKEES WITHOUT CLIFF LEE..... THATS NOT THE ISSUE HERE
Old 27 October 2010, 01:12 AM   #133
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
lol..lol..lol... smart move??? it wasnt fair at all to other teams who struggle and dont fold up the tent... come on its a joke.... boys will be boys..... cubans offer was much higher than the greenberg/ryan offer.....
Each team that is not in financial ruin has the opportunity to spend. Ownership often chooses to just pocket the money instead of spending it. Prime example is the Pirates. The Rangers were a unique situation. Baseball had to step in. MLB was more of a negociator in the sale of the Rangers and never really an actual owner of the team. By the way I wouldn't call the Twins small market when they have a payroll of 100 million.
Old 27 October 2010, 01:19 AM   #134
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Each team that is not in financial ruin has the opportunity to spend. Ownership often chooses to just pocket the money instead of spending it. Prime example is the Pirates. The Rangers were a unique situation. Baseball had to step in. By the way I wouldn't call the Twins small market when they have a payroll of 100 million.
they were able to raise payroll because of the new stadium.... which they built.... NO HELP....
Old 27 October 2010, 01:25 AM   #135
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

twins were 24th in payroll in 2009.... 12th in payroll in 2010... new stadium revenue...
Old 27 October 2010, 01:33 AM   #136
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
they were able to raise payroll because of the new stadium.... which they built.... NO HELP....
Yep exactly, if you spend money you make money. Maybe other teams should take note instead of pocketing all their revenue.
Old 27 October 2010, 01:34 AM   #137
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

what about the teams.... small market teams.... who lets say are 3 games back at the trade deadline.... they would love to trade for a big ticket guy.... lets say it was a CLIFF LEE.... BUT THEY CANT DO IT BECAUSE THEY CANT AFFORD IT..... texas was able to acquire cliff lee and have the other teams competing with texas pay his salary..... NOT GOOD!!!!
Old 27 October 2010, 01:54 AM   #138
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
what about the teams.... small market teams.... who lets say are 3 games back at the trade deadline.... they would love to trade for a big ticket guy.... lets say it was a CLIFF LEE.... BUT THEY CANT DO IT BECAUSE THEY CANT AFFORD IT..... texas was able to acquire cliff lee and have the other teams competing with texas pay his salary..... NOT GOOD!!!!
Well first and foremost Cliff Lee got to choose where he wanted to go. He had veto power and essentially the say on what team he would play for. Secondly, The ownership was already in place for the Rangers when the trade was made. The new ownership is on the hook for Lee's salary so I really don't see anything wrong with it. MLB was NOT paying his salary. This is completely false. Not at any point did MLB own the Rangers like they owned the Expos before their move to Washington. Also if an owner in a small market team cannot come up with 15 million to pay for Lee's remaining salary to stay in contention or possibly make a run for the WS then they should not own the team. The team would make that back in playoff revenue. I don't think there was any small market team left out of the Leee bidding. It came down to where Lee was willing to play.
Old 27 October 2010, 02:10 AM   #139
t e x
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well first and foremost Cliff Lee got to choose where he wanted to go. He had veto power and essentially the say on what team he would play for. Secondly, The ownership was already in place for the Rangers when the trade was made. The new ownership is on the hook for Lee's salary so I really don't see anything wrong with it. MLB was NOT paying his salary. This is completely false. Not at any point did MLB own the Rangers like they owned the Expos before their move to Washington. Also if an owner in a small market team cannot come up with 15 million to pay for Lee's remaining salary to stay in contention or possibly make a run for the WS then they should not own the team. The team would make that back in playoff revenue. I don't think there was any small market team left out of the Leee bidding. It came down to where Lee was willing to play.
touche and well said. i might add that it also boiled down to the team that held Lee's right, the M's and their willingness to seal the deal with Texas at end of the day.

...and to comment even further, the auction process made the creditors and others owned money whole.

Old 27 October 2010, 02:11 AM   #140
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
lool..lol.. they file for bankruptcy... they cant pay bills... they couldnt meet payroll so mlb LOANED THEM(lol) MILLIONS.... mlb then had to OK all transactions..... so with money SO CALLED loaned to them.... they go out and ADD PAYROLL..... and acquire on of the best pitchers in the game....... sounds like great economics to me.....
Old 27 October 2010, 02:14 AM   #141
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
lool..lol.. they file for bankruptcy... they cant pay bills... they couldnt meet payroll so mlb LOANED THEM(lol) MILLIONS.... mlb then had to OK all transactions..... so with money SO CALLED loaned to them.... they go out and ADD PAYROLL..... and acquire on of the best pitchers in the game....... sounds like great economics to me.....
It is good economics and the Rangers said from day one the operation of the team during the transition would not change. Why should of it changed? Hicks made things a complete mess so MLB had to make sure day to day operations of the team remained in tack otherwise it would have be deterimental for all teams. Loaning money and owning the team are two completely separate things. MLB will be paid back if they haven't been already. It was a loan to bridge the gap until new ownership was officially put into place. This deal would have been done earlier but once Hicks filed for Chapter 11 it complicated the sale.

Also it wasn't like the Rangers got him for free. They had to give up players just like any other team. The rangers put together the best package. It is what it is.
Old 27 October 2010, 02:15 AM   #142
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i didnt read ur whole post before.... by the way.. cliff was acquired on july 10th... the ryan/greenberg ownership group didnt win the bid for the rangers until august 5th....
Old 27 October 2010, 02:20 AM   #143
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
also cliff didnt have a NO TRADE CLAUSE
Old 27 October 2010, 02:37 AM   #144
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
i didnt read ur whole post before.... by the way.. cliff was acquired on july 10th... the ryan/greenberg ownership group didnt win the bid for the rangers until august 5th....
You are right, I was mistaken about the no trade clause. For some reason I thought he could veto trades.

Doesn't matter when ownership officially took over. The new ownership was already in place and it was a matter of going through the necessary steps to clear everything due to the bankruptcy filing. So you are saying the Rangers did not have the right to sign any players or make any trades because their ownership was in transition? The loan by MLB has no bearing on anything since MLB knew that the new ownership would be implemented in the very near future.It would have been an injustice to the Rangers and the Ranger fans if they were not allowed to operate just like every other team.
Old 27 October 2010, 02:42 AM   #145
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

By the way I bet the first thing Lee gets in a new contract is a no trade clause.
Old 27 October 2010, 02:45 AM   #146
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are right, I was mistaken about the no trade clause. For some reason I thought he could veto trades.

Doesn't matter when ownership officially took over. The new ownership was already in place and it was a matter of going through the necessary steps to clear everything due to the bankruptcy filing. So you are saying the Rangers did not have the right to sign any players or make any trades because their ownership was in transition? The loan by MLB has no bearing on anything since MLB knew that the new ownership would be implemented in the very near future.It would have been an injustice to the Rangers and the Ranger fans if they were not allowed to operate just like every other team.
yes.... thats excactly what im saying.... MLB had to sign off on the LEE trade.... any transaction with the rangers had to be approved by mlb... mlb had last call on all decisions...
Old 27 October 2010, 02:46 AM   #147
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

my other argument was that it was never about financial security... because if that was the case.... cuban would be the new owner....
Old 27 October 2010, 02:49 AM   #148
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
yes.... thats excactly what im saying.... MLB had to sign off on the LEE trade.... any transaction with the rangers had to be approved by mlb... mlb had last call on all decisions...
No baseball did not make any decisions. The RANGERS DID. The Rangers were given a loan. MLB was not making personnel decisions. It is as if the Rangers went to a bank for a loan. If the Rangers went to a bank for a loan do you think the bank would then be making personnel decisions? The loan was given to the Rangers so they could operate in a period of transition. Baseball was not involved in the running of the team.
Old 27 October 2010, 02:51 AM   #149
t e x
"TRF" Member

Quote:
my other argument was that it was never about financial security... because if that was the case.... cuban would be the new owner....
is this statement for real?
Old 27 October 2010, 03:10 AM   #150
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
is this statement for real?
do u think the old guard of MLB wanted to deal with cuban?? and by the way... its as real as renton, wa is.....lol lol lol lol lol lol just kiddinf