The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 July 2017, 03:34 AM   #1
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

RG 44 chronograph broke... any thoughts?

So my RG 44,which is 3 1/2 months old broke today. Obviously I’m sending it in but figured i would see if anyone has any thoughts on what happened.

The watch is fully wound and works fine until i use the chrono. The chrono works until the 30 minute mark (specifically about 10 seconds short of 30 minutes) and it stops. It also completely stops the rest of the watch as well. I reset the chrono and the watch is still frozen. I unscrew the crown and pull it out until i can engage the time setting and then reset the watch to the correct time, screw the crown back in and the watch starts again and works fine. It does NOT start working on its own though, but only after i pull the crown out, and reset the time. No winding required though. This pattern has repeated itself 3 times in a row, and the results are exactly the same.

My understanding is the chronograph module is on top of the regular calibre 3120. If they are basically separate pieces then why does a malfunctioning chronograph affect the rest of the watch as well? I would assume once the chronograph is engaged, unless it is a power reserve issue (which it does not appear to be), and it stops, the timekeeping of the rest of the watch should be unaffected.

Note, this is NOT an AP bashing/reliability post as these types of things are bound happen to mechanical watches. I have four AP's and never have had a single issue before. I have not lost confidence either, i am curious though if anyone else has had this issue or knows what might have happened? I hardly ever use the chronograph function, probably used it less than 10 times in total since i got the watch.

Thoughts?
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 03:54 AM   #2
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Sorry to hear that mate, guess a blessing is you have others to tide you over while AP take care of it.

As for the issue I'll await for more knowledgable members to comment.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 03:58 AM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Sorry to hear that mate, guess a blessing is you have others to tide you over while AP take care of it.

As for the issue I'll await for more knowledgable members to comment.
Whatever it is, its super weird. Never once heard anything similar.

Im trying to be calm about it though. Although frustrating, these things happen. Works fine if i just consider the chronograph sub-dials as for "decorative" purposes only.
Old 17 July 2017, 05:24 AM   #4
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
That's sad to hear, Tyler. I know the movement on these can be temperamental but its not great on such a costly item. I had a problem with mine soon after getting it, but AP London sorted it within a month. Are you going to approach them direct (although I know you're not having much luck with comms) or take it back to Wempe?
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 05:34 AM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
That's sad to hear, Tyler. I know the movement on these can be temperamental but its not great on such a costly item. I had a problem with mine soon after getting it, but AP London sorted it within a month. Are you going to approach them direct (although I know you're not having much luck with comms) or take it back to Wempe?
Direct. It doesn't make much sense to give to the AD and have them send it down the street. I emailed them again tonight and will call in the morning. Hoping to just drop it by myself.
That and i don't really trust AD's in general if they have their own in-house watchmaker to do the work instead of sending to APSC. I don't really know what wempe does with AP's.
Old 17 July 2017, 05:51 AM   #6
texex91
"TRF" Member

Will be resolved no worries.

Every chrono I've ever owned (AP or any brand), it's the first thing I checkout. Start/stop/reset/start/stop/start...well you get the gig. Don't know why but I always do.

Never had issues with AP's (well a few ran slow or fast).

Thankfully you have plenty of others to keep you company. Let us know what they say when returned.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 05:52 AM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Will be resolved no worries.

Every chrono I've ever owned (AP or any brand), it's the first thing I checkout. Start/stop/reset/start/stop/start...well you get the gig. Don't know why but I always do.

Never had issues with AP's (well a few ran slow or fast).

Thankfully you have plenty of others to keep you company. Let us know what they say when returned.
will do
Old 17 July 2017, 05:53 AM   #8
amggts9
Banned

Better to go direct to the AP service center. I do know that watches that are as new as yours and under warranty are pushed to the head of the line and AP does their best to get it back to their respective owners ASAP.
amggts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 05:59 AM   #9
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
That's a bummer Tyler but as Paul said I am sure they will resolve it quickly. Have had 10 AP Chrono's over the years and never an issue. Like Paul I always check chrono function as well when I get new one regardless of brand. Don't know why either but always do. Good luck with it and hope it's back soon!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 06:00 AM   #10
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amggts9 View Post
Better to go direct to the AP service center. I do know that watches that are as new as yours and under warranty are pushed to the head of the line and AP does their best to get it back to their respective owners ASAP.
i have heard that as well. Warranty work gets priority over regular services. Glad they do it that way. Thankfully i haven't had to find out first hand before now.
Old 17 July 2017, 06:04 AM   #11
amggts9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i have heard that as well. Warranty work gets priority over regular services. Glad they do it that way. Thankfully i haven't had to find out first hand before now.

Hoping it gets back to you within a month. Having owed most brands from Pateks to Breitlings and everything in between. My experience with AP service has been the best of all of them.
amggts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 06:04 AM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
That's a bummer Tyler but as Paul said I am sure they will resolve it quickly. Have had 10 AP Chrono's over the years and never an issue. Like Paul I always check chrono function as well when I get new one regardless of brand. Don't know why either but always do. Good luck with it and hope it's back soon!
i always do the same. Mine still works great even now in that regard. start, stop, reset, repeat. no issues until it stays running for 30 minutes. I have let if run for several hours before when it was new with no issues though.

My AD would hate me if that becomes my new pre-purchase routine.
"i need to test the chronograph for at least 30 minutes in continuous use before i buy, but probably 1 hour for an extra margin safetyr"
Old 17 July 2017, 06:10 AM   #13
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
i always do the same. Mine still works great even now in that regard. start, stop, reset, repeat. no issues until it stays running for 30 minutes. I have let if run for several hours before when it was new with no issues though.

My AD would hate me if that becomes my new pre-purchase routine.
"i need to test the chronograph for at least 30 minutes in continuous use before i buy, but probably 1 hour for an extra margin safetyr"

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 06:32 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Sorry to hear that, but APSC should sort that out quickly for you.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 06:55 AM   #15
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I hate to say it, but this is a known problem with these watches.

I have owned 7 of them, one had an issue.

It's not a big deal and AP will repair it promptly.

I wish they would take the steps to prevention vs having so many new pieces have the same reoccurring problem. It's not new news with this movement.
Old 17 July 2017, 08:20 AM   #16
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

The chrono module went bad on my 44 too. AP serviced and replaced it within a month. I of course got a new 2 yr warranty along with it.

Sorry to hear yours went bad too, but, AP will have it sorted out in no time.
Old 17 July 2017, 09:20 AM   #17
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
RG 44 chronograph broke... any thoughts?

Who truly uses the chrono function? I usually time how long I'm at the office and forget to stop it when I get in the car

Sorry to hear you have to send it in.

Good news is that it'll come back perfect.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 09:59 AM   #18
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I'm really sorry to hear that and hope that the trip into the APSC is quick
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 11:06 AM   #19
dc98354
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that. I had a similar issue with my 42 ROO, it completely stop after 4 years then my 15300 was gaining 5 mins a day and APSC said it was magnitized. AP fixed both bot still a PITA!
dc98354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 06:08 PM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i'm dropping it off tomorrow. They close starting Wednesday for a couple of weeks so no hope on a quick turnaround.

On the bright side, I'm ordering my GP strap tomorrow too, so both should be available at about the same time so i should be able to take it home once its fixed with a new strap.
Old 17 July 2017, 06:20 PM   #21
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i'm dropping it off tomorrow. They close starting Wednesday for a couple of weeks so no hope on a quick turnaround.

On the bright side, I'm ordering my GP strap tomorrow too, so both should be available at about the same time so i should be able to take it home once its fixed with a new strap.
That's a drag, but the GP strap will look great.

So, what's going to get bumped up on the rotation while the RG is away?
Old 17 July 2017, 06:34 PM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
That's a drag, but the GP strap will look great.

So, what's going to get bumped up on the rotation while the RG is away?
I'm still undecided as my diver and 15400 are getting pressure tested tomorrow too. No idea if i get to take them home with me tomorrow or if they get to spend the summer holiday with AP as well.

After finally getting an appointment, AP now gets everything i need done all at once.
Old 17 July 2017, 06:41 PM   #23
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Sounds like it might be time to go shopping !
Old 17 July 2017, 07:44 PM   #24
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

Sorry brother. I have heard this common issue with chrono. Hope they fix it asap even with holidays there
wlchuccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 11:41 PM   #25
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Sounds like the barrel is not transmitting enough Power to the chronograph module...
Old 17 July 2017, 11:52 PM   #26
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Sounds like the barrel is not transmitting enough Power to the chronograph module...
YAY a technical answer.

I was thinking it was somehow power related too (separate from an overall power reserve issue which it isn't). Im still stumped as to how, if a chronograph module isn't getting power, that is also stops the rest of the watch as well.

Yesterday it was consistently stopping around 30 minutes so i thought it had something to do with the minute subdial making its first full rotation however today it is pretty erratic as far as when it stops.

I doubt AP will give me the full diagnostic and just say "faulty chronograph module" but i am hopeful they will as i am actually quite interested in how the module interacts with the base movement.
Old 18 July 2017, 01:43 AM   #27
SC11
Banned

Take it you managed to get hold of someone there?
Old 18 July 2017, 01:47 AM   #28
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Take it you managed to get hold of someone there?
yes. Thankfully first thing this morning, good thing since they are closing from Wednesday.
Old 18 July 2017, 02:00 AM   #29
SC11
Banned

Quote:
yes. Thankfully first thing this morning, good thing since they are closing from Wednesday.
I thought it was only the service centre part closed I believe the front of house staff are there and available?

I spoke with Daniel earlier and had an email from Aurelija stating she's away until the 24th July.
Old 18 July 2017, 02:05 AM   #30
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I thought it was only the service centre part closed I believe the front of house staff are there and available?

I spoke with Daniel earlier and had an email from Aurelija stating she's away until the 24th July.
not sure. they just said i had to stop by either today or tomorrow if i wanted to drop off the watch. service being closed makes sense in that case.

Im still learning who is who. Getting a better picture of it in the past couple of days though. Good thing is its a small office so i should be up to speed pretty quickly.