The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 August 2014, 09:28 AM   #31
gregvisser
"TRF" Member

You do really need a 5167 :)

Great collection. And I'm glad I wasn't in your position. So many nice pieces - the decision must've been tough.

Is there one you regret selling yet?

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 09:30 AM   #32
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv Savage View Post
A great post.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
Great post Jorge.... I seem to have started to become a bit of hoarder with 12 time pieces at the moment.... Hope it doesnt' keep growing at this point.

Great 3 you've kept.
Everybody has different timing , enjoy the ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhr View Post
Awesome 3 Jorge! Been following your evolution here and elsewhere, very interesting and informative, going through a bit of introspection with regard to number of watches, not so much brand choices so this is very instructive. And your pics don't hurt the eyes so it's all good!!
Thanks friend, the brand is always a factor that becomes bigger as you go to higher pieces for economic reasons. But Joy is huge as well

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 09:55 AM   #33
Chaos
"TRF" Member

Hola Jorge, buenas!

I guess I understand what you did!

In fact, it seems a natural path, although we have to learn how to prevent so many losses

I have been there, I am in the same trail you are now.

Impulse, impulse... buy what you like....

eventually, I'd see my collection only when get them to wind manually -- three to four times a year, it was a well spent time, a way to reconnect and enjoy .... until it struck me that it was ridiculous.

What's the matter of having so many and enjoying so little -- which is best, a dozen beetles or one Lamborghini ?....

The only thing that I'd add, if you allow me to say, it's important to have at least one beater -- maybe two.......

best
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 10:11 AM   #34
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregvisser View Post
You do really need a 5167 :)

Great collection. And I'm glad I wasn't in your position. So many nice pieces - the decision must've been tough.

Is there one you regret selling yet?

Greg

I agree with you I need that 5167. But I am doing an experiment if I still feel that I needed in 4 months, that means is the best decision. Don't want a do what I did before : run to the AD and buy And I know 4 is the limit so I better be damn sure that it is the one or live with 3 watches, will see...
And that will answer your question about any regrets, more than regrets of selling a watch ; I have regrets of bad decisions. I did a bad decision when I swap my 5146g + Lange Timezone for the 5960P, but it was so right for me to sell the 5960p. I regret don't buying the Datograph when I had a good deal in front of me. And sometimes I think just for a moment of a Specific watch that is generally considered as an icon in the WIS world: I should of keep it and then quickly come to my mind all the reasons why it didn't work for me. I love metaphors, and here is one : is like you go on a date with a beautiful woman and you think awesome ! As you get to know her then you might say well maybe not for me, everybody will say "you are crazy for letting her go" but you have your reasons that they not understand. And you say to yourself : I am so glad that I did.
Cheers !

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 10:19 AM   #35
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I dare not post on this thread........my turnover has been insane........and still not happy!
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 10:22 AM   #36
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Hola Jorge, buenas!

I guess I understand what you did!

In fact, it seems a natural path, although we have to learn how to prevent so many losses

I have been there, I am in the same trail you are now.

Impulse, impulse... buy what you like....

eventually, I'd see my collection only when get them to wind manually -- three to four times a year, it was a well spent time, a way to reconnect and enjoy .... until it struck me that it was ridiculous.

What's the matter of having so many and enjoying so little -- which is best, a dozen beetles or one Lamborghini ?....

The only thing that I'd add, if you allow me to say, it's important to have at least one beater -- maybe two.......

best
Buenas Camarada !

Yes I think is a natural path, although i know people that are gonna be hoarders for ever. Nothing wrong with that, I respect it but I doesn't compute well on my brain because the way I see watches. I buy them to wear them period. And yes you need a beater, I have the Hulk and might add a semi-beater 5167A
Cheers !

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 10:31 AM   #37
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
I dare not post on this thread........my turnover has been insane........and still not happy!
Everything is proportionally the same. It just depends on what budget are you playing. Mine is : I have never owned a watch more expensive that the 5960P, so my losses are proportional to that. If you buy Perpetual Chronos you losses are gonna be proportional to that. It's all good ! At the end of the day is just money. Also it's easier to sell a 50k watch than a 100k watch, I learned that as well.
Enjoy your beautiful watches mate

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 11:53 AM   #38
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
This post is spot on and I totally agree that less is best. I hope by the end of 2014 the two pieces I have on order come in as planned. That will give me a 1655 Exp II as daily beater, 5711 Blue Dial as Sporty/Elegant, and 5235 as dressy but versatile. My DD on a strap will be gone because I don't foresee getting much use when my PPs arrive.
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 12:07 PM   #39
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I'm going through the same thing...have 13, looking to get it down to 5 great pieces, but I'm a bit worried about losing money making hasty decisions
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 12:16 PM   #40
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
This post is spot on and I totally agree that less is best. I hope by the end of 2014 the two pieces I have on order come in as planned. That will give me a 1655 Exp II as daily beater, 5711 Blue Dial as Sporty/Elegant, and 5235 as dressy but versatile. My DD on a strap will be gone because I don't foresee getting much use when my PPs arrive.
Thumbs up; I know what that 5235 represents for Patek but more importantly remember to love it, you are gonna more than Fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
I'm going through the same thing...have 13, looking to get it down to 5 great pieces, but I'm a bit worried about losing money making hasty decisions
You will loose money that's for sure, but try to make the best of it.
Good luck

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 12:51 PM   #41
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
I have adopted the same idea. Originally, I had planned on a dress watch and a daily watch only.
I got a Calatrava 5296 in white gold. Sweep second hand and a date, it dresses up just fine, while crossing over to casual jeans and polo. For more casual, a matte chestnut brown alligator strap, and for suits a glossy black alligator strap.
While saving for my daily, I was sidetracked by what I think makes a perfect "beater" in a 12-year old Rolex Explorer II. It will be great for travel with its second time zone, and it already has a few love bites.
But my daily arrived a week ago, a stainless steel black dial Daytona. If I don't cross time zones I think it will be with me on trips.
I can see being sidetracked by watch #4, but I love the idea of playing hierarchy: is this #4 better than #'s 1 to 3 at what they do? and then flip the "loser." Also, there's a decent chance I'll trade the Daytona plus cash for an Aquanaut, but that's hard to imagine now since I'm in the "honeymoon" stage with the Daytona.
Bottom line, my days of 10-plus watches are over.
Famous last words?
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 01:15 PM   #42
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

IMO, if you want watches for wearing 3 is a reasonable number. If you want to possess or collect watches, there's no limit other than your funds. I want watches to wear, have a handful but have worn only my 5167 since buying it early this year (except for travel to some less than safe places). I could really get by with my 5167 and a G-Shock if I had to.
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 01:21 PM   #43
Nephro
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them!
This is a great thread and really has me thinking. I am at the point that enjoying all my watches is getting tough. I am relatively new at collecting but have learned a lot about this hobby over the past 4+ years. My preliminary thoughts are to keep the 2 AP's, JLC and Daytona. The Hublot was an impulse buy on a cruise vacation a few years ago and I know the resale will be horrible on that My Tag is old and was my first "real" watch so it has some sentimental value and will pass it on to my son at some point. The Omega is vintage and needs servicing. It was given to me by my father in law and I don't see myself wearing it. It is pretty small.

As noted by Jorge, the thought of losing money is a tough pill to swallow. I do like watches from many different brands but I too believe in wearing and enjoying all of my watches. I think I am at a "critical mass" now and need to streamline to more, how shall I put it...I need to move up to Patek

Patek Philippe 5712R-001, Audemars Piguet 15400ST Ruthenium dial, Vacheron Constantin Overseas 4500V Blue dial, Rolex 326933, Rolex 116523, Rolex 126710BLNR, Rolex 116610LV, Rolex 116613LB, Rolex 126300 Wimbledon dial, JLC Master Compressor Navy SEAL's Diving Alarm, PAM 1499
Omega Constellation 1967, G Shock
Nephro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 01:30 PM   #44
slowhand
"TRF" Member

Fantastic thread, Jorge, and I do hope it gets all the attention it deserves! I really like your philosophy, and agree with the premise that less is more.

I've been trying to scale down my collection too, and have recently sold my Pam 372 and IWC Portuguese 5001.. Had some hesitation initially due to the fact I was moving "icons" and the money I would lose in flipping, but decided to press ahead as they were just too big for me and I wasn't enjoying them as much as I should.

Although it is a lovely idea, I think downsizing to around 8-10 is my limit, as I do have a number of pieces I can't sell due to sentimental value eg my Speedy, a wedding watch, my Reverso, which I bought as a pair with my wife, my Sinn U1, a gift from my parents etc.

Kudos again!
slowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 04:38 PM   #45
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Nice post Jorge! Thanks for sharing your collection. I recently sold two watches off so I am now officially down to 9. Like many here, I plan to consolidate my collection to PP and AP moving forward and are in the process of downsizing my collection. I think about 7 is ideal for me. Now contemplating a 5712R.

Care to share more of your 5712R wrist shots here? They are fantastic. Thanks!
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 06:55 PM   #46
sebastien1975
"TRF" Member

Great post. I guess I am still in the middle of stage 1
sebastien1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 07:43 PM   #47
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
great collection , i m fully understand the consolidation .

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2014, 09:14 PM   #48
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
I have adopted the same idea. Originally, I had planned on a dress watch and a daily watch only.
I got a Calatrava 5296 in white gold. Sweep second hand and a date, it dresses up just fine, while crossing over to casual jeans and polo. For more casual, a matte chestnut brown alligator strap, and for suits a glossy black alligator strap.
While saving for my daily, I was sidetracked by what I think makes a perfect "beater" in a 12-year old Rolex Explorer II. It will be great for travel with its second time zone, and it already has a few love bites.
But my daily arrived a week ago, a stainless steel black dial Daytona. If I don't cross time zones I think it will be with me on trips.
I can see being sidetracked by watch #4, but I love the idea of playing hierarchy: is this #4 better than #'s 1 to 3 at what they do? and then flip the "loser." Also, there's a decent chance I'll trade the Daytona plus cash for an Aquanaut, but that's hard to imagine now since I'm in the "honeymoon" stage with the Daytona.
Bottom line, my days of 10-plus watches are over.
Famous last words?
Great ! I think the Explorer II will be great for your Beater/Vacation watch but is also important (at least for me) to love your beater. My Hulk is 1 year old and I still find myself admiring the green dial. I like the fact also that while is a beater and I take it for Vacation and hey is still a Rolex ! And even better I can see other Subs while on Vacation but so far I haven't bump with other green one.
A Calatrava is a beautiful classic watch, so if it woks for you then is a winner; in my wearing experience strictly dress watches have little wrist time when I had them. I had a ALS Saxonia thin and a FPJourne Chronometre Bleu, both beautiful but they didn't stick. If it is dressy I need some complication going on to keep it interesting. I love the idea of the Aquanaut, I am contemplating the idea as well. The Daytona is a Staple on the Rolex line up and the one that retains the value the best, so no matter what (keep it or not) you will be fine. That's the beauty of Patek and Rolex they allow you to do more.

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 09:20 PM   #49
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
IMO, if you want watches for wearing 3 is a reasonable number. If you want to possess or collect watches, there's no limit other than your funds. I want watches to wear, have a handful but have worn only my 5167 since buying it early this year (except for travel to some less than safe places). I could really get by with my 5167 and a G-Shock if I had to.
Yes I can't see myself buying and not wearing that would be non sense for me. But for the collector that buy to posses/collect many regardless of wearing this thread will make no sense; to each it's own. I respect it but don't understand it fully. 5167 it's an awesome all around watch

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 09:28 PM   #50
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiN View Post
This is a great thread and really has me thinking. I am at the point that enjoying all my watches is getting tough. I am relatively new at collecting but have learned a lot about this hobby over the past 4+ years. My preliminary thoughts are to keep the 2 AP's, JLC and Daytona. The Hublot was an impulse buy on a cruise vacation a few years ago and I know the resale will be horrible on that My Tag is old and was my first "real" watch so it has some sentimental value and will pass it on to my son at some point. The Omega is vintage and needs servicing. It was given to me by my father in law and I don't see myself wearing it. It is pretty small.

As noted by Jorge, the thought of losing money is a tough pill to swallow. I do like watches from many different brands but I too believe in wearing and enjoying all of my watches. I think I am at a "critical mass" now and need to streamline to more, how shall I put it...I need to move up to Patek

I really think that before you consolidate you have know 1st yourself. Meaning your 3 or 4 final choices you have to be damn sure that you adore them because if you still don't know the answer then it won't work. So get to know what you like plus your wearing habits first. And if you can remain with as many Patek/Rolex (AP and Lange will be fine too) possible to minimize economical loss.

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 09:40 PM   #51
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhand View Post
Fantastic thread, Jorge, and I do hope it gets all the attention it deserves! I really like your philosophy, and agree with the premise that less is more.

I've been trying to scale down my collection too, and have recently sold my Pam 372 and IWC Portuguese 5001.. Had some hesitation initially due to the fact I was moving "icons" and the money I would lose in flipping, but decided to press ahead as they were just too big for me and I wasn't enjoying them as much as I should.

Although it is a lovely idea, I think downsizing to around 8-10 is my limit, as I do have a number of pieces I can't sell due to sentimental value eg my Speedy, a wedding watch, my Reverso, which I bought as a pair with my wife, my Sinn U1, a gift from my parents etc.

Kudos again!
Thanks mate
I had the PAM 372 as well, beautiful watch but it didn't stick. Unfortunately when you sell you are gonna loose no matter what unless you have collective rare Patek or you bought at a great price and you sell at the right time. I can't comment in the Sentimental Value watches because I haven't experienced that situation. That's probably a tough one because you have watches lying there with little or no wrist time, and you have to suck it up. Alternatively put them on a safe on a Bank, don't even count with them as part of your collection. With my current mind set, I feel that 5 watches is already a sign of hoarding but to each it's own. What makes sense to me might not make sense to you.
Kudos

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 10:55 PM   #52
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Nice post Jorge! Thanks for sharing your collection. I recently sold two watches off so I am now officially down to 9. Like many here, I plan to consolidate my collection to PP and AP moving forward and are in the process of downsizing my collection. I think about 7 is ideal for me. Now contemplating a 5712R.

Care to share more of your 5712R wrist shots here? They are fantastic. Thanks!
Thanks Ben, yes AP and Patek make a great Combo. I had only own 1 AP the 15300, unfortunately couldn't compete against my 5712 but I am Stuburn and contemplating the idea of a AP Diver as 4th watch and post it a thread of that Diver vs the Aquanaut http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=367744. Will see.....
Here is a pic of my 5712R from this morning

image.jpg

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 11:00 PM   #53
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

a few more Ben

photo 1-1.jpg

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 4.jpg

Image-1.jpg

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 11:03 PM   #54
benlee
"TRF" Member

Very nice! If given the chance to choose again, would you consider the 5980R over the 5712R?
Old 21 August 2014, 11:28 PM   #55
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very nice! If given the chance to choose again, would you consider the 5980R over the 5712R?

5980R is a beautiful watch. I wouldn't in my small collection, but to each it's own don't want step on anybody's toes.
But I think the 5980 lingers more in the Sport side of it than the 5712 mainly because it's thickness and weight. I think that works great on a bigger collection. I like the fact that the 5712 is more sleek, probably because it's thinness. I also think that the moon phase is a staple for Patek and love how the gold moon matches with the case. Very useful power Reserve as well. All that makes the 5712R a great stand alone watch. If someday things go bad and I have to sell my other 2-3 watches I feel confident that my 5712R will fill that spot in a great way.
At this level there is no right or wrong answer here, go with whatever you love the most.

Cheers !

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2014, 11:30 PM   #56
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastien1975 View Post
Great post. I guess I am still in the middle of stage 1
Thanks and enjoy the ride !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
great collection , i m fully understand the consolidation .
Thanks

Albert Einstein
Old 22 August 2014, 12:57 AM   #57
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
5980R is a beautiful watch. I wouldn't in my small collection, but to each it's own don't want step on anybody's toes.
But I think the 5980 lingers more in the Sport side of it than the 5712 mainly because it's thickness and weight. I think that works great on a bigger collection. I like the fact that the 5712 is more sleek, probably because it's thinness. I also think that the moon phase is a staple for Patek and love how the gold moon matches with the case. Very useful power Reserve as well. All that makes the 5712R a great stand alone watch. If someday things go bad and I have to sell my other 2-3 watches I feel confident that my 5712R will fill that spot in a great way.
At this level there is no right or wrong answer here, go with whatever you love the most.

Cheers !

Thanks for your insights! I have been wobbling between 5980R and 5712R for a long time. I was convinced 5980R is the one to go for not so long ago. Then I saw ur 5712R pics and think maybe not. Honestly speaking, price is also a factor ( I can get the 5712R faster while 5980R have to wait. ) Can't make up my mind.
Old 22 August 2014, 01:17 AM   #58
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for your insights! I have been wobbling between 5980R and 5712R for a long time. I was convinced 5980R is the one to go for not so long ago. Then I saw ur 5712R pics and think maybe not. Honestly speaking, price is also a factor ( I can get the 5712R faster while 5980R have to wait. ) Can't make up my mind.
Price is important but specially when the price is so close to the price range to more fairly complicated watches. So is best to digest the idea for awhile and pull the trigger when you are fully convinced one way or another. In the meantime save, save, save

Albert Einstein
Old 22 August 2014, 01:57 AM   #59
selpo
"TRF" Member

Great post!! I have been following your journey in the other forum as well and have admired your amazing collection. I was surprised when I saw your UN for sale and later on was able to catch up on your reasoning- makes great sense to me!
I am novice and just started this journey and the plan is to inch up to a four watch rotation- currently have a white dial ss daytona and an AP 15202 40th anniversary blue dial. Looking to add the 5202r white dial this yr and still have not figured out what the fourth one will be.
I appreciate you sharing your photos and your collection as well as the thought process behind it.
selpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2014, 02:08 AM   #60
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selpo View Post
Great post!! I have been following your journey in the other forum as well and have admired your amazing collection. I was surprised when I saw your UN for sale and later on was able to catch up on your reasoning- makes great sense to me!
I am novice and just started this journey and the plan is to inch up to a four watch rotation- currently have a white dial ss daytona and an AP 15202 40th anniversary blue dial. Looking to add the 5202r white dial this yr and still have not figured out what the fourth one will be.
I appreciate you sharing your photos and your collection as well as the thought process behind it.

Thanks, try to diversify the looks so when you pick a watch in the morning doesn't feel the same as your other ones .
Good Luck !!

Albert Einstein