The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 16 August 2017, 05:09 PM   #1
sindrep
"TRF" Member

Help with bubbleback Ref 2940 repair

My 40's bubbleback serial#348,831 needs repair. The pin (stem?) attached to the crown came loose when i adjusted the time. I tried a local Rolex repair, but they could not help me. Any recommendations for reliable people who may have the proper expertise would be greatly appreciated in order to bring this old timepiece back to life. I searched this and similar forums but the list seems fairly short and not always up-to-date.
sindrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 10:35 PM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

40s Rolex parts are hard to come by, even for watchmakers with parts accounts.
The Rolex service centre where I worked for my internship did not have parts for anything older than 15×× and something like a bubbleback would have to be sent to Genève. Keep in mind that this is quite expensive.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 10:21 PM   #3
sindrep
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the expert input. I guess that it is very difficult to find spare parts for timepieces that are this old. Below is a picture of the watch, it is just collecting dust in drawer now. I am contemplating weather to send the watch to Genève or simply try to sell it as it is. I am however reluctant to choose the last option, since i think its a fantastic timepiece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex.jpg (65.3 KB, 98 views)
sindrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 10:58 PM   #4
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindrep View Post
Thanks for the expert input. I guess that it is very difficult to find spare parts for timepieces that are this old. Below is a picture of the watch, it is just collecting dust in drawer now. I am contemplating weather to send the watch to Genève or simply try to sell it as it is. I am however reluctant to choose the last option, since i think its a fantastic timepiece.
It is a very nice watch for sure!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 06:59 PM   #5
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Do you have pic of the damage? Just the crown falling loose off the stem?

Bubbleback spares are running low but if it's something repairable & you don't need spares I'm sure any competent local watchmaker can fix it.

Even better watchmaker would be able to remake certain parts but that might be seen as fake/aftermarket :( but when original parts run out, there's little choice.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote