The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 September 2017, 03:09 PM   #61
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
I'm sure they (our members) are going to be fine. One of the characteristics that makes TRF better than the other watch forums is the decorum and courtesy we extend to each other, even when we disagree. Calling it truly hideous is just instigating ill will. Something to consider.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...547895&page=11

Plenty of people have expressed disdain for certain watches I own. Do I take it personally? No, because I am out of short trousers.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 03:29 PM   #62
KarlS
Banned

^ but if you look at post 321 you will see how politely I didn't like it! Obviously a good day!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 03:37 PM   #63
Hollister
Banned

I think I'll go back to my previous policy of saying nothing about watches I don't like.

My initial point was a much wider one about PP logo size, in any case, and I stand by that. Once you've seen and noticed something like that, you can't unsee it. Another example being the misplaced date window in recent Sea-dwellers. (Apologies in advance to any Sea-dwellers inconvenienced by this).
Old 14 September 2017, 07:54 PM   #64
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
This x 100. If PP is trying to get a younger audience to buy, I imagine I'd be a prime target: mid-30s, a watch enthusiast, disposable income, etc. And yet there's nothing about this watch that interests me. Now, if they had put out a JLC Master Date Sector Date-type watch in stainless steel...

What I find so interesting is the direct relationship between average price and thin skin. Of all the subforums here, I'd venture that the PP subforum has the highest average watch price - and its posters are the most touchy. Lighten up, guys! We won't all agree and it's OK if someone doesn't think everything PP puts out is an instant classic. That shouldn't take away from your enjoyment of the piece or brand.
Dan, you hit it right on with these two points
Old 14 September 2017, 09:19 PM   #65
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
This x 100. If PP is trying to get a younger audience to buy, I imagine I'd be a prime target: mid-30s, a watch enthusiast, disposable income, etc. And yet there's nothing about this watch that interests me. Now, if they had put out a JLC Master Date Sector Date-type watch in stainless steel...
I'm in your demographic and find so many aspects of this watch appealing. The font is well proportioned for the style and many think that there's too much blank space as it is. I may be in the minority but I'm grateful to be adding both the 5522 and 5524 to my collection. Just goes to show that it's great to have a lot of options across brands and styles as we all have different tastes.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 10:51 PM   #66
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
I'm sure they (our members) are going to be fine. One of the characteristics that makes TRF better than the other watch forums is the decorum and courtesy we extend to each other, even when we disagree. Calling it truly hideous is just instigating ill will. Something to consider.
Exactly, my friend, we can disagree without being disagreeable.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 11:16 PM   #67
Hollister
Banned

What's disagreeable or indecorous about "hideous" when it's my opinion? I think I've said similar in the past about a different brand of watch. It's an aesthetic judgement, nothing more. If you like the watch, buy it, why should I mind what other people are wearing?

"Thin skin" comment above from another poster is possibly true.
Old 14 September 2017, 11:40 PM   #68
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
I think I'll go back to my previous policy of saying nothing about watches I don't like.

My initial point was a much wider one about PP logo size, in any case, and I stand by that. Once you've seen and noticed something like that, you can't unsee it. Another example being the misplaced date window in recent Sea-dwellers. (Apologies in advance to any Sea-dwellers inconvenienced by this).
Here is a very similar watch with a smaller logo.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...th-enamel-dial

http://www.rgmwatches.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4.jpg (277.6 KB, 157 views)
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 12:18 AM   #69
Socal to az
Banned

Good lord! No one has thin skin. It's the incessant whining about Patek's "direction" that has become tiresome. You don't like the watch? We get it. You made your point- move on. No one cares that you like small watches with logos that I need a microscope to see.

I'm sorry you want Payel to continue to churn out 33mm men's watches. Oh wait they already do that. In addition to that they also make larger watches. Everyone has something they like.

You are spending way to much time on a watch that you find hideous trying to convince those of us that like the piece.

Move one and find another topic to discuss. Perhaps we can talk about how thick and boorish the 5905 is? Yeah- that's a better topic!
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 01:00 AM   #70
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
Good lord! No one has thin skin. It's the incessant whining about Patek's "direction" that has become tiresome. You don't like the watch? We get it. You made your point- move on. No one cares that you like small watches with logos that I need a microscope to see.

I'm sorry you want Payel to continue to churn out 33mm men's watches. Oh wait they already do that. In addition to that they also make larger watches. Everyone has something they like.

You are spending way to much time on a watch that you find hideous trying to convince those of us that like the piece.

Move one and find another topic to discuss. Perhaps we can talk about how thick and boorish the 5905 is? Yeah- that's a better topic!
There are plenty of thin-skinned snowflakes on here, but nevertheless, it’s as equally tiresome to read the constant defensive comments about Patek’s “direction”.
It’s a forum – a platform for DISCUSSION – something many of you fail to comprehend in any capacity whatsoever. It’s wholly acceptable to have positive and negative points of view within any debate, which is infinitely more engaging than the usual sycophantic congratulatory backslapping least-amount-of-words-possible posts that seem to prevail and pervade many threads.

I’m not going to defend James – he’s big enough and ugly enough to do that for himself – but he has explained and demonstrated what it is about the 5522 that fails to ignite his engine, which has nothing to do with 33mm cases and minuscule text, but simply that the 5522 shouts its name from across the room when it doesn’t need to.

But above all that, who the hell made you this thread's spokesman to tell James he was spending too much time in it?
It’s his time to spend however and wherever he sees fit, and if you’re incapable of being adult enough to discuss his points without throwing a hissy fit, then just skip past them or move on to another thread yourself.
What’s good for the goose is good for the gander – a phrase worth bearing in mind, perhaps.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 01:32 AM   #71
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
^^^
He lives
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 02:13 AM   #72
Arclight
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
There are plenty of thin-skinned snowflakes on here, but nevertheless, it’s as equally tiresome to read the constant defensive comments about Patek’s “direction”.
It’s a forum – a platform for DISCUSSION – something many of you fail to comprehend in any capacity whatsoever. It’s wholly acceptable to have positive and negative points of view within any debate, which is infinitely more engaging than the usual sycophantic congratulatory backslapping least-amount-of-words-possible posts that seem to prevail and pervade many threads.

I’m not going to defend James – he’s big enough and ugly enough to do that for himself – but he has explained and demonstrated what it is about the 5522 that fails to ignite his engine, which has nothing to do with 33mm cases and minuscule text, but simply that the 5522 shouts its name from across the room when it doesn’t need to.

But above all that, who the hell made you this thread's spokesman to tell James he was spending too much time in it?
It’s his time to spend however and wherever he sees fit, and if you’re incapable of being adult enough to discuss his points without throwing a hissy fit, then just skip past them or move on to another thread yourself.
What’s good for the goose is good for the gander – a phrase worth bearing in mind, perhaps.
My sentiments exactly!
Old 15 September 2017, 03:14 AM   #73
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post

I love some of their watches - I own a 5712 and a 5146. Neither is 33mm, and both look great (IMO - feel free to disagree). There are certain other watches they make which I like, just not this particular model, and I have explained why. It's apparent that I am not alone in these opinions. Misrepresenting and exaggerating my opinions in this way does you no favours.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, I am merely expressing a view, and I am slightly baffled as to why you want me to stop. If you like it, get one and enjoy it.
Old 15 September 2017, 03:22 AM   #74
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
I think that's much better-looking, no huge corporate lettering, but still perfectly legible, and also the small seconds at 6, which helps to balance out the dial layout. And I'm a big fan of small seconds versus central, in general. Whoever designed it did a first-class job.

Old 15 September 2017, 03:29 AM   #75
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
I think that's much better-looking, no huge corporate lettering, but still perfectly legible, and also the small seconds at 6, which helps to balance out the dial layout. And I'm a big fan of small seconds versus central, in general. Whoever designed it did a first-class job.

If Patek had put out that exact watch instead of the 5522, you would not have ever heard so many complaints on this forum. The 5522 was (almost) loved by all on here.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 03:55 AM   #76
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
What's disagreeable or indecorous about "hideous" when it's my opinion? I think I've said similar in the past about a different brand of watch. It's an aesthetic judgement, nothing more. If you like the watch, buy it, why should I mind what other people are wearing?

"Thin skin" comment above from another poster is possibly true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post

Oh, just belt up you inflammatory pair! Either get with the TRF civilised way or get you both gone. And the name-calling is bang out of order. Watch it.
Old 15 September 2017, 04:37 AM   #77
Arclight
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Oh, just belt up you inflammatory pair! Either get with the TRF civilised way and get you both gone. And the name-calling is bang out of order. Watch it.
Perhaps you should take your own advice my friend .
Old 15 September 2017, 04:47 AM   #78
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Perhaps you should take your own advice my friend .
Stop stirring.
Old 15 September 2017, 05:42 AM   #79
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
If Patek had put out that exact watch instead of the 5522, you would not have ever heard so many complaints on this forum.
Agreed.
Old 15 September 2017, 06:31 AM   #80
Arclight
Banned

Quote:
Stop stirring.
LOL! Couldn't do it could you. goodbye
Old 15 September 2017, 06:34 AM   #81
Arclight
Banned

Quote:

Yes, a beautiful watch!
Old 15 September 2017, 07:17 AM   #82
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Stop stirring.
Quote:
LOL! Couldn't do it could you. goodbye
Leave it, you two.
Oddly, I feel a strange sense of déjà vu!
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 09:15 AM   #83
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:

Plenty of people have expressed disdain for certain watches I own. Do I take it personally? No, because I am out of short trousers.
I doubt very much "plenty of people" have come up to you in the street and told you that your watch is "hideous".

I find it a rather extreme statement to make about another person's watch. A watch is such a personal item of choice that for you to tell someone that their watch is 'hideous' is really saying that they have no taste or ability to discern quality. So it is in effect a personal insult. At the very least it is a negative statement in an extreme sense.

The rules of this website dictate that you do not insult other members. I can understand you saying, "the hands are too large" or the "size of the case is too large". That is fine.

"Hideous" is easily and plainly construed as: extremely ugly, horrid, detestable, odious, monstrous, dreadful, appalling, ghastly.

If we allow people to insult others this community will disintegrate. Its about making measured responses, not insults, that fosters friendly objective discussion.

If you go out in the community and go around telling people that their shirt, shoes, car, wedding ring or such other personal item is 'hideous' I don't think you will have to wait too long before you provoke either a angry oral or physical response.

We don't condone such responses and we don't in the first place condone activity that may unreasonable give rise to such responses.

I hope you (and everyone else) get the import of this message, because it is the first and last time I'm going to say it.

Sometimes if you can't say anything nice or constructive, its best not to say anything at all.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote