The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 September 2017, 08:44 PM   #1
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Practical advice appreciated.

Chaps

I have acquired 5 Rolex over the last 3 years and the honest truth is that I would like to finish off the collection with a Patek Philippe.

I am currently attracted to the 5396G purely on appearance and also I want to go down the annual / perpetual calendar route and this brings me to my main question. Also please bear in mind that my technical knowledge of PP is below average.

The question is - Are there any practical differences in owning either a perpetual or annual calendar watch. For instance is there much difference in setting up the time / date etc between the two and also are there different maintenance issues. Also any are there any pros and cons of owning either of these. Also is there any problems with buying the older models ?

Due to my lack of knowledge I will probably buy from an established retailer but any advice on this would be appreciated. I am, incidentally, based in the UK.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 09:07 PM   #2
KarlS
Banned

Some may think there is little point paying the huge premium between AC and PC for the inconvenience of changing a date once a year
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 09:09 PM   #3
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I would only buy what looks the best in your eyes and do not let the calendar function influence your decision.
Old 16 September 2017, 09:44 PM   #4
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerdj View Post
I would only buy what looks the best in your eyes and do not let the calendar function influence your decision.
I agree completely. I would however suggest that you don't allow yourself to settle if your heart is singing out for the perpetual. While there are minimal practical differences some nameless OCD people are drawn to complete their collections with a grail perp. If you suspect you might be one of those afflicted it is less costly and more practical to go directly to the perp then buy, trade and sell your way there. Given your obvious experience I suspect you know all this but my 2 cents. Lastly are collections ever really finished?

In either case sounds like you have a great decision to make, good luck.
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 09:54 PM   #5
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
I agree completely. Lastly are collections ever really finished?
Oh yes, once I collect the Voutilainen on the 19th, I am done, will have a 5 watch collection of watches I love, thought about more but no, the ones I want are too costly for it to be reasonable, might change if I win the lottery, did get tickets last week... so I can say my collection is finished
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 10:16 PM   #6
Tony64
"TRF" Member

I've gone from AC to PC and while the practical difference is slight compared to the cost differential, there's still something special about a perpetual calendar.

The AC complication was introduced to the market by Patek in the late 90's and was an attempt to bridge the gap between the more basic calatrava and the perpetual calendar. A complication within reach of an audience not yet willing or able to go all in for the PC.

It will be far less expensive to buy the PC now than to trade up from an AC later.
If it's a true grail you're after, and you believe this will bring an end to the madness, than an AC will not bring you the untlimate satisfaction you seek IMO.

The AC is a great complication, it's just not a grand complication.
Ymmv.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 10:33 PM   #7
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Chaps

I have acquired 5 Rolex over the last 3 years and the honest truth is that I would like to finish off the collection with a Patek Philippe.

I am currently attracted to the 5396G purely on appearance and also I want to go down the annual / perpetual calendar route and this brings me to my main question. Also please bear in mind that my technical knowledge of PP is below average.

The question is - Are there any practical differences in owning either a perpetual or annual calendar watch. For instance is there much difference in setting up the time / date etc between the two and also are there different maintenance issues. Also any are there any pros and cons of owning either of these. Also is there any problems with buying the older models ?

Due to my lack of knowledge I will probably buy from an established retailer but any advice on this would be appreciated. I am, incidentally, based in the UK.

Regards

Mick
To answer your questions more specifically, and objectively...

The setting of an AC vs PC is not significantly different. Follow the directions carefully, use the winding box provided, and you'll be fine. Maintenance and service costs are available on the Patek website but shouldn't be a significant factor.

Practical difference between an AC and PC will consist of one date change a year. Considering both will need a time change twice a year anyway for DST, it's really a rather minor point in favor of the PC.

Older models with recent service history shouldn't be a problem. Remember though that it's not like getting a Rolex serviced. It may take 6 months or more to have your AC or PC back from service. Factor time and cost when buying preowned without a recent service. The movements are solid. The PC generally uses a terrific micro rotor system (240) that keeps the case nice and thin and doesn't obstruct your view of the movement. The AC will have a full rotor (partially blocking the view from behind), 315 or 324, depending on age. Some say the older movement was even the better of the two.

Hope this helps in your quest.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 01:10 AM   #8
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Chaps

Regards

Mick

The 5396G was originally released in 2008 with the sector dial, with the non-sector dial being released in 2010. They introduced the 5396G with the Breguet hour markers in 2016 for the 20th Anniversary of the Annual Calendar.

From a practical perspective in wearing and setting the watch, there is not a significant difference between an AC and a PC.

However there is a significant difference from a historical perspective. Patek Philippe received a patent for the PC for their pocket watches back in 1889 and started manufacturing PC wristwatches in the 1920s. Patek patented and made their first AC in 1996.

Many Patek collectors will eventually gravitate towards a PC, due to its horological and historical significance.

However I would say the 5396G is a fabulous watch and the AC is a great practical complication for most everyday wear.

As others have mentioned, if you are purchasing a Patek watch that is 5+ years old, always factor in the possible need for servicing.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 04:17 AM   #9
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Chaps

First of all, thanks to everyone who responded, it really is much appreciated.

The information was useful and I am quite happy with the annual calendar as you do need to reset the time twice each year anyway.

I will almost certainly buy pre owned and it will go in immediately for a service as a matter of course as I always play safe in that department.

If anyone thinks that there is a better model than the 5396G, please feel free to let me know.

Once again, many thanks.

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 07:57 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
I've gone from AC to PC and while the practical difference is slight compared to the cost differential, there's still something special about a perpetual calendar.

I agree with that sentiment, it's a bit like a full Rolex PM and a PM on strap.

Mick, I like the grey dial with Breguet numerals on this AC. Also check out the more modern 5205G and sportier 5726G.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 08:11 AM   #11
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Perpetual is probably worth it.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 08:25 PM   #12
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Chaps

The information was useful and I am quite happy with the annual calendar as you do need to reset the time twice each year anyway.

I will almost certainly buy pre owned and it will go in immediately for a service as a matter of course as I always play safe in that department.

If anyone thinks that there is a better model than the 5396G, please feel free to let me know.

Once again, many thanks.

Mick
Hi Mick,

I've owned a 5146G for seven years, and it's a delightful watch. When choosing an AC, it's just a matter of personal taste. Go and try a few on, and see what you think of them. I don't have a watch winder, so it's reset every time I wear it.

If I ever get a PC, it'll be the FP Journe Quantieme Perpetuel, but again, that's just a matter of personal preference as it has a few features unavailable on other PCs and is easier to read than most.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/fp...k-on-the-wrist

Good luck, and enjoy the watch!
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 09:27 PM   #13
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Chaps

Once again, many thanks.

Mick
Whether there is a better model than the 5396 is entirely a matter of taste / preference. I never liked the older versions of the 5396, but the update in 2016 with Breguet numerals is beautiful.

My favourite AC is the 5905, probably followed by the 5726. I'm not saying these are better, but I do prefer them to the 5396.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote