The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 March 2024, 01:20 PM   #31
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Go with Hodinkee (Chubb) instead. I don't like the idea of losing a watch and having your homeowners insurance drop you because you made a claim. Not a guarantee but could happen. Why complicate life. Plus I think Hodinkee is better and it's been well liked on this forum.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 04:48 PM   #32
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
As others have mentioned it’s straightforward getting an appraisal. It all comes down to the value which is understandable from the insurer’s point of view
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 08:49 PM   #33
peptide45
"TRF" Member

If you bought grey, I would ask the seller for an invoice. Try to use that to get it insured at the price you paid. If not, agree with above posts. We have a local jeweler that will appraise luxury watches for 100 bucks. You need an appointment because the guy who does this only does it a couple times per month. I would provide the appraiser with all documentation including price paid and current market value from watchcharts.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
peptide45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 10:06 PM   #34
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Hodinkee is the answer and you do not need an appraisal. Just go on the site and fill in the information, pick the value of your watch and upload a picture. Prices vary depending on where you live and the risk the Insurance Company assumes. Whatever you do do not put it on your Homeowners Insurance. Suffer a loss and you put your insurance at risk upon policy renewal. No one needs that and it does occur.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 10:55 PM   #35
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolieKid View Post
I wanted to add my watches to my home owners policy, but the insurance company wants appraisals. I only have one from Rolex on my Dad's President, but my other one, the one I just bought, the Submariner, I do not have one. What do I do?
Either get the appraisals or Try Hodinkee. Appraisals not required.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 10:57 PM   #36
saywhat44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Hodinkee is the answer and you do not need an appraisal. Just go on the site and fill in the information, pick the value of your watch and upload a picture. Prices vary depending on where you live and the risk the Insurance Company assumes. Whatever you do do not put it on your Homeowners Insurance. Suffer a loss and you put your insurance at risk upon policy renewal. No one needs that and it does occur.
I second this regarding the homeowners policy.

I thought I read somewhere Hodinkee was having some issues with their insurance. I don't know that for sure though. I have used Jewlers Mutual since I bought my wife's engagement ring many years ago.
saywhat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 02:20 AM   #37
Tphamnd02
"TRF" Member

I’ve added several pieces to my home owners including wife’s jewelry. My agent is one of my best buds and he basically said if you ever file a claim, I will be screwed as my premiums would go up significantly. Will look at Hodinkee and hopefully they cover jewelry and watches.
Tphamnd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 03:18 AM   #38
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Go to any AD or Jewelry store or used watch store.. they'll do an appraisal for a cost (less than $100).
This above. I have my watches insured through State Farm. They required either purchase receipt from when obtained by the AD or a detailed appraisal with MSRP and replacement value. My local ADs were able to help. I just paid them fairly for the work.
Old 27 March 2024, 04:29 AM   #39
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 TT sub
I am with Chubb. My cars and house are all insured with them.For my watches they didn’t want any appraisals but included in my home insurance policy. But there is an extra cost.
mrlube1151001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 05:06 AM   #40
BigPapiDoesItAgain
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
I use Hodinkee because I wanted to keep this separate from my homeowner's, as others have said, they don't require an appraisal, although my AD hands an appraisal over with the receipt (it is a separate document with a picture of the watch on it) when you buy a watch from them.
BigPapiDoesItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 05:26 AM   #41
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
get an appraisal from any jeweler.
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 05:44 AM   #42
thatswhatshesaid
"TRF" Member

USAA has a great valuable personal property policy. You can itemize your watches and jewelry, Upload photos and receipts on your own and add and delete items anytime in minutes and your premium is immediately updated.

I actually filed my first claim today. My wife lost one of her Tiffany & Co earrings. I simply started a claim online, an agent called me a couple hours later and settled the claim in 15 minutes. The money was in my account an hour later.

Surprisingly simple procedure.
thatswhatshesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 03:57 AM   #43
Colorado1492
"TRF" Member

Not true. I have USAA and had to go to a certified gemologist and would not accept pictures, receipts or the AD that I purchased from. The gemologist refused to insure it for the replacement price and only for the AD price .The AD did not have a certified gemologist on staff. A friend of mine in Florida stated Jewlers Mutual will no longer cover rolex in florida by the way. To many getting stolen.
Colorado1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 04:11 AM   #44
Quaress
"TRF" Member

Is it even possible to insure a watch if you lose it or someone steals it outside of your home?
Quaress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 05:48 AM   #45
thatswhatshesaid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado1492 View Post
Not true. I have USAA and had to go to a certified gemologist and would not accept pictures, receipts or the AD that I purchased from.
I don't know if you're referring to my post as being untrue, if you were I don't appreciate being called a liar.

I have all my watches, my wife's diamond ring and other jewelry on our USAA valuable personal property policy. I've never had to go to a gemologist. I simply upload receipts, photos and they are accepted.

My wife's engagement ring included an appraisal from the dealer, which they accepted.

They do not require appraisals for watches. Just receipts from the dealer photos of the watch, serial number and warranty cards.
thatswhatshesaid is offline   Reply With Quote