The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 11 December 2014, 12:16 PM   #31
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsubby View Post
Don't let others tell you that once you get into AP, you will never wear your Rolex.
At least for me this is not true. My 15400 gets no more wrist time than my Rolex's. I just got the ceramic diver so naturally it's been on my wrist. But after the honeymoon period is over it will fit into the rotation. I am now thinking to sell the 15400 and couple steel Rolex's to fund a full gold Rolex.
Agree with this too. For me now it is mainly all gold Rolex and steel AP and PP.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2014, 12:37 PM   #32
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
Once I got into AP, PP, ALS, and FPJ, I have lost nearly complete desire to wear / keep / buy anything Rolex. I will always keep my Rolex T-bird and an 80s DJ (both are sentimental), but I am going to sell the only other Rolex I have which is the newer EXP2.

I have a ton of respect for Rolex and what they are all about. Robust, sporty, nice brand with in-house movement for the masses but most of their designs do not do anything for me anymore.

BTW, I am not in love with APs either. I only have the RO 15400 now (sold Diver, Safari, and 44MM Novelty). I much prefer Lange and Journe.
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2014, 12:40 PM   #33
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

Thanks again Gents.

Varying opinions, some don't look back, others went back and some mix it up.

I have lost my desire to purchase any more modern Rolex and have started liking some of the AP line.

Don't know if it will be short term or long term though!
sturgeon123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2014, 01:17 PM   #34
Jbranda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio Mosiello View Post
Well said as long as its a m3 on the weekdays!

Sent from my Motorola Razor
Or an M5
Jbranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2014, 01:18 PM   #35
Jbranda
"TRF" Member

Whats a good entry level Patek (if there even is one)
Jbranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2014, 05:48 PM   #36
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
I love my AP's but my rolex's also get a lot of wrist time

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2014, 07:09 AM   #37
TheMethod
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I would say 60% of the time I wear Rolex and 40% of the time AP.
TheMethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2014, 02:51 PM   #38
enricotambunan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon123456 View Post
Just looking for opinions from the TRF family....

How many here have gone from owning Rolexes to AP.

If so do your Rolexes ever get wrist time? Whats the split?

Has anyone just completely stopped with Rolex?

I am taking the plunge and am wondering what I am getting myself into!
After getting the AP, my Rolex is worn 1-2 days a week. Usually weekdays.
Friday-Saturday are almost always my AP days (pronounced "happy days"??) :D
enricotambunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2014, 02:58 PM   #39
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricotambunan View Post
After getting the AP, my Rolex is worn 1-2 days a week. Usually weekdays.
Friday-Saturday are almost always my AP days (pronounced "happy days"??) :D
Well I haven't received the AP yet, will be soon.

Cant wait to see how it feels on the wrist.
Old 18 December 2014, 10:56 PM   #40
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipjin View Post
I have.

First came this -

Attachment 564074

Then this.

Attachment 564075

And this

Attachment 564076

But they were all gone when I went for this.

Attachment 564077

And this

Attachment 564078

Enjoy the journey and mourn for the departed :)

Perfect combo you ended up with in my mind!
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2014, 11:03 PM   #41
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

I have both. Still wear my sub.
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 12:53 AM   #42
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
To state the obvious, personal tastes and needs determine what's in your collection. To state something even more obvious is that tastes change over time as well. For me, I've found that I seem to prefer sporty chronographs with a date feature. I had a Daytona but traded it for a ROC and don't regret that move for a minute. That being said, I do admire Rolex watches and if there were ever any editions of the Daytona with a date (I'm not holding my breath) I'd be back in the Rolex game.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 01:41 AM   #43
Littlelad2
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP and Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipjin View Post
I've had my 15400 for less than a month, but I'm already dreaming of owning a PP 5726. Lovely watch lipjin
Littlelad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 03:54 AM   #44
Kyu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116759SANR
I own both, but ap is an ap and Rolex is a Rolex
Two diff breeds to me, I can't really comment on regrets or anything as I own both
But I love both, and I wouldn't know which to choose if I had to choose just 1

Wearing my YM blue today
Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 10:23 PM   #45
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Thanks again Gents.

Varying opinions, some don't look back, others went back and some mix it up.

I have lost my desire to purchase any more modern Rolex and have started liking some of the AP line.

Don't know if it will be short term or long term though!
I'm in the same boat. Have sold the Daytona, and will probably sell a couple more Rolex. In tend buying a 15400 and a 5167 in the next few months...

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 01:38 AM   #46
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivek View Post
I'm in the same boat. Have sold the Daytona, and will probably sell a couple more Rolex. In tend buying a 15400 and a 5167 in the next few months...
For me I have purchased the ceramic diver and am working on a 5980r. Kind of realizing there's a whole world of watches out there that are just more interesting
Old 20 December 2014, 04:39 AM   #47
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project
Quote:
For me I have purchased the ceramic diver and am working on a 5980r. Kind of realizing there's a whole world of watches out there that are just more interesting
Congrats!! Ceramic AP and 5980R is quite an entrance into the world of AP and PP. Looking forward to the pics.

AP and PP are definitely in a different league than Rolex in terms of complications and finishings, and I was rolex-less for a while, but ended up picking up a sub again as they are just so robust and versatile.

Enjoy the journey!!
MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 06:21 AM   #48
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ320 View Post
Congrats!! Ceramic AP and 5980R is quite an entrance into the world of AP and PP. Looking forward to the pics.

AP and PP are definitely in a different league than Rolex in terms of complications and finishings, and I was rolex-less for a while, but ended up picking up a sub again as they are just so robust and versatile.

Enjoy the journey!!
Thank you so much sir!

The 5980 isn't confirmed as of yet. Still working on some particulars. The ceramic is en route as we speak :)

I can't wait to get into some uncharted territory!
Old 20 December 2014, 06:58 AM   #49
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
A few months after getting my first and so far only Rolex (steel Sub-C), I got my first and so far only AP, a 15300ST. It was surprisingly comfortable, even though I have a slim wrist. It looked absolutely fabulous, and wearing it was always a special occasion. However, its movement was never as accurate as the Sub's, usually deviated between 5 and 10 seconds a day on average. Its movement was also cursed by the hacking issue, so it was a bit difficult to set the time precisely. After wearing it for 2 years, I was forced to give it up, but still keep missing it. I'm planning to get back in the Royal Oak game, although this time it should be a 15202ST.

As for comparing the 15300ST against the Sub-C, well, I think they're in a different league, but not entirely sure which one is "higher range" and which one is "lower range", since each has its own strengths. The Sub-C _felt_ definitely more solid, more roboust, more ready for an active lifestyle. The brushed steel bezel of the RO was a scratch magnet, and the delicate edges all around the watch and bracelet also screamed "Do not bang me against anything hard!" :) On the other hand, the RO felt nothing like any other watch I had before: the attention to details on every part of it is absolutely amazing, and the design is very industrial, very masculine, and definitely unique. The AP movement looked beautiful behind the sapphire caseback, although the rotor blocked quite a lot of it, so I would have preferred a skeleton rotor or a manual movement.

If you ask me, I wouldn't recommend totally giving up a sports Rolex, or a sports Rolex collection to get into the world of AP. IMHO they coexist rather perfectly: the Sub is the perfect everyday watch, the "wear and forget" choice. While the Royal Oak is more prestigious, more unique, more delicate, and somehow makes you feel more special while wearing it.
Old 20 December 2014, 09:59 AM   #50
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

I couldn't imagine my collection without a Rolex. Maybe only one, unless they come out with a DJII with a jubilee bracelet. They just keep offering only oysters. So annoying....
Old 20 December 2014, 05:25 PM   #51
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
A few months after getting my first and so far only Rolex (steel Sub-C), I got my first and so far only AP, a 15300ST. It was surprisingly comfortable, even though I have a slim wrist. It looked absolutely fabulous, and wearing it was always a special occasion. However, its movement was never as accurate as the Sub's, usually deviated between 5 and 10 seconds a day on average. Its movement was also cursed by the hacking issue, so it was a bit difficult to set the time precisely. After wearing it for 2 years, I was forced to give it up, but still keep missing it. I'm planning to get back in the Royal Oak game, although this time it should be a 15202ST.

As for comparing the 15300ST against the Sub-C, well, I think they're in a different league, but not entirely sure which one is "higher range" and which one is "lower range", since each has its own strengths. The Sub-C _felt_ definitely more solid, more roboust, more ready for an active lifestyle. The brushed steel bezel of the RO was a scratch magnet, and the delicate edges all around the watch and bracelet also screamed "Do not bang me against anything hard!" :) On the other hand, the RO felt nothing like any other watch I had before: the attention to details on every part of it is absolutely amazing, and the design is very industrial, very masculine, and definitely unique. The AP movement looked beautiful behind the sapphire caseback, although the rotor blocked quite a lot of it, so I would have preferred a skeleton rotor or a manual movement.

If you ask me, I wouldn't recommend totally giving up a sports Rolex, or a sports Rolex collection to get into the world of AP. IMHO they coexist rather perfectly: the Sub is the perfect everyday watch, the "wear and forget" choice. While the Royal Oak is more prestigious, more unique, more delicate, and somehow makes you feel more special while wearing it.

I wouldn't give up rolexes completely, I respect the heritage and enjoy wearing them. However I am down to only enjoying the Daytona and Explorer 2. It is starting to get rather annoying that you see them everywhere too. It would be like going out to a restaurant and everyone is wearing the same sports jacket.

I want that special feeling, that I am wearing something with a history, that a lot of time and care went into making the piece.

I do have a major personal issue with the fact that the ROO chrono uses the DD module and I am not into the movement in the RO chrono. So I bought a ceramic diver. I am sure that this piece will be less common than a sub, or a seamaster and I think it looks better :)

So I will never give them up but I am kind of holding back how I am really starting to feel about the Rolex luxury brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post
I couldn't imagine my collection without a Rolex. Maybe only one, unless they come out with a DJII with a jubilee bracelet. They just keep offering only oysters. So annoying....
Yes it would be nice but the problem is that with all Rolex oversized watches the bracelets look to small for the watch as it is and they taper so much. I think it might end up looking weird. But its kind of garbage that almost every watch has the same bracelet with the exception of the clasp. I started a thread recently about Rolex not doing enough or being innovative enough....I stand by this line of thinking. They need to offer more options for starters.
Old 20 December 2014, 07:46 PM   #52
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
Quote:
I wouldn't give up rolexes completely, I respect the heritage and enjoy wearing them. However I am down to only enjoying the Daytona and Explorer 2. It is starting to get rather annoying that you see them everywhere too. It would be like going out to a restaurant and everyone is wearing the same sports jacket.

I want that special feeling, that I am wearing something with a history, that a lot of time and care went into making the piece.

I do have a major personal issue with the fact that the ROO chrono uses the DD module and I am not into the movement in the RO chrono. So I bought a ceramic diver. I am sure that this piece will be less common than a sub, or a seamaster and I think it looks better :)

So I will never give them up but I am kind of holding back how I am really starting to feel about the Rolex luxury brand.

Yes it would be nice but the problem is that with all Rolex oversized watches the bracelets look to small for the watch as it is and they taper so much. I think it might end up looking weird. But its kind of garbage that almost every watch has the same bracelet with the exception of the clasp. I started a thread recently about Rolex not doing enough or being innovative enough....I stand by this line of thinking. They need to offer more options for starters.

The datejust 2 as well as the exp 2 42 really do have bracelets that taper down significantly from lugs to the clasp. At first it didnt bother me but it is slowly starting to annoy me. Rolex does have a diverse line but they seem to all be lacking soul to me. Kind of like all new Ferraris.

Sent from my Motorola Razor
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 07:52 PM   #53
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is starting to get rather annoying that you see them everywhere too. It would be like going out to a restaurant and everyone is wearing the same sports jacket.
There's a solution for that, straight from Rolex: the Platona That beauty will never become common or ubiquitous.

Quote:
So I bought a ceramic diver. I am sure that this piece will be less common than a sub, or a seamaster and I think it looks better :)
That's a fabulous time piece, I hope you'll enjoy it for a long time
Old 21 December 2014, 04:28 AM   #54
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There's a solution for that, straight from Rolex: the Platona That beauty will never become common or ubiquitous.

That's a fabulous time piece, I hope you'll enjoy it for a long time
I was just informed by a fellow TRF friend that a 15 year old was wearing a platona in Miami at a mall....I am thinking of cancelling my order.

And Thanks so much for the well wishes on the AP!!!!!!
Old 21 December 2014, 05:10 AM   #55
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was just informed by a fellow TRF friend that a 15 year old was wearing a platona in Miami at a mall....I am thinking of cancelling my order.
You will always find strange guys wearing any watch. In such cases I try to focus on other guys who I saw wearing the watch, like the one & only Michael Jordan... But enough of the off-topic
Old 21 December 2014, 05:16 AM   #56
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You will always find strange guys wearing any watch. In such cases I try to focus on other guys who I saw wearing the watch, like the one & only Michael Jordan... But enough of the off-topic

Well the AP Ceramic Diver just showed up at my door......as well as a panerai 508.

I have to be honest....the Panerai is the sharper watch of the two but the AP is killer too!

Thanks to DavidSW for sourcing both of these pieces BNIB and getting them to me so quick

I think the AP is going to be the more comfortable of the two as its 42mm and the Panerai is 47mm which is pretty large for a 6.5" wrist.
Old 21 December 2014, 05:44 AM   #57
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
Pics!!!

Quote:

Well the AP Ceramic Diver just showed up at my door......as well as a panerai 508.

I have to be honest....the Panerai is the sharper watch of the two but the AP is killer too!

Thanks to DavidSW for sourcing both of these pieces BNIB and getting them to me so quick

I think the AP is going to be the more comfortable of the two as its 42mm and the Panerai is 47mm which is pretty large for a 6.5" wrist.
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2014, 06:20 AM   #58
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

Here ya go

Panerai is my fave for sure in the looks department
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0055.jpg (93.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0059.jpg (65.5 KB, 83 views)
Old 21 December 2014, 06:51 AM   #59
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Wow, what a great trio of watches with serious wrist presence Where are the wrist shots anyway?

BTW, I'd love to own the same AP, but I always felt 42mm ROO's are too large for my 6.3-inch wrist... The 39mm RO was perfect fit though. I wish AP introduced a ceramic cased RO with 39mm case, on a black rubber strap, with black ceramic bezel...
Old 21 December 2014, 07:59 AM   #60
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

Well here's the AP on my 6.5" wrist. The others are at home. Decided to take the AP for a spin!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.6 KB, 76 views)