The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 December 2017, 07:40 AM   #1
milwatch126
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1962, 5512
Long 5 insert not fitting bezel?

Hi,

Any ideas on this? The insert seems to be just a tad too big and won't fit. I even brought it to my AD and they could not do the job with their Rolex trained watchmaker.
Could the bezel itself be a service replacement and smaller than the factory original for a long 5 insert. When I purchased the watch it had a older 80's service insert in the bezel. I don't want to damage the long 5 insert (make it smaller) as it's near mint and cost me a lot. Love to hear the forums vintage views.

I have also found a NOS twin-lock 700 crown and tube for the watch as it has a triplock. The watchmaker tells me he has to grind out the tube before fitting the crown into it. Any ideas on that?

Cheers,
M
M
milwatch126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 09:24 AM   #2
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post
Hi,

Any ideas on this? The insert seems to be just a tad too big and won't fit. I even brought it to my AD and they could not do the job with their Rolex trained watchmaker.
Could the bezel itself be a service replacement and smaller than the factory original for a long 5 insert. When I purchased the watch it had a older 80's service insert in the bezel. I don't want to damage the long 5 insert (make it smaller) as it's near mint and cost me a lot. Love to hear the forums vintage views.

I have also found a NOS twin-lock 700 crown and tube for the watch as it has a triplock. The watchmaker tells me he has to grind out the tube before fitting the crown into it. Any ideas on that?

Cheers,
M
M
Bezel should be no different if it is a legit plexi bezel. Some are harder than others and I once partially cracked a nice blue insert that I saved by swapping another bezel. When I get inserts that are too tight I just try them in different bezels (helps having a dozen to choose from ; ) )

You need a 700 tube for a 700 crown. Do it right. (Ironically a 702 will fit on a 700 tube).
Old 5 December 2017, 09:49 AM   #3
05carbondrz
Banned

I had this problem and I heated up my bezel with a Heat Gun and cooled the insert by holding a can of compressed Air upside down releasing what looked like liquid nitrogen.Then I used rubber tipped pliers to go around the outside and presto!
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 09:49 AM   #4
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

It can be *very* difficult to get an insert into a bezel, and not for the faint of heart. Given these vintage inserts are worth thousands $, I would recommend you find someone that has experience with vintage. I’ve had to get help on a couple occasions...and my buddy popped it in using the edge of a table. Took him a few secs. But if you don’t have the experience, don’t risk it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 01:47 PM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
This is bringing back painful memories. I too once destroyed a beautiful ghost Sub insert trying to install it on a bezel. The tolerances are so small and these inserts are so old, that it can sometimes be incredibly difficult to install them (virtually impossible at times). All you need is a slight bend/ding on the bezel and a flattened insert, and it will create a nightmare.

One other trick in addition to the heating/cooling suggestion above: Get one of those small glass Coke bottles and put the bezel over the skinny end and push down firmly and carefully for a while to try to re-shape the insert and remove the flatness. Keep in mind that the area around the pearl is the most vulnerable point on the insert. That's where it'll crack. Good luck!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 01:48 PM   #6
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
This is bringing back painful memories. I too once destroyed a beautiful ghost Sub insert trying to install it on a bezel. The tolerances are so small and these inserts are so old, that it can sometimes be incredibly difficult to install them (virtually impossible at times). All you need is a slight bend/ding on the bezel and a flattened insert, and it will create a nightmare.

One other trick in addition to the heating/cooling suggestion above: Get one of those small glass Coke bottles and put the bezel over the skinny end and push down firmly and carefully for a while to try to re-shape the insert and remove the flatness. Keep in mind that the area around the pearl is the most vulnerable point on the insert. That's where it'll crack. Good luck!
Yes! Always start with the pearl side.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 01:59 PM   #7
V.lats97nsx
2024 Pledge Member

Jewellers nylon pliers work great. Always put the insert with the pearl end first then work it down with the nylon pliers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
V.lats97nsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 09:00 PM   #8
milwatch126
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
Bezel should be no different if it is a legit plexi bezel. Some are harder than others and I once partially cracked a nice blue insert that I saved by swapping another bezel. When I get inserts that are too tight I just try them in different bezels (helps having a dozen to choose from ; ) )

You need a 700 tube for a 700 crown. Do it right. (Ironically a 702 will fit on a 700 tube).
Yes they are both 700 tube and crown NOS.

M
Old 6 December 2017, 05:29 AM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by v.lats97nsx View Post
Jewellers nylon pliers work great. Always put the insert with the pearl end first then work it down with the nylon pliers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Good advice here. Nylon or plastic tip pliers work wonders when used properly to fit an insert within a bezel. At $20 or even less, anyone who plans on changing inserts should invest in a set of these pliers.

For the do-it-yourselfers, the pliers are available at Hobby Lobby, on ebay or any watch supply outlet.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 05:59 AM   #10
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Good advice here. Nylon or plastic tip pliers work wonders when used properly to fit an insert within a bezel. At $20 or even less, anyone who plans on changing inserts should invest in a set of these pliers.

For the do-it-yourselfers, the pliers are available at Hobby Lobby, on ebay or any watch supply outlet.

This is what I do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a small needle nose set that has teflon plumbing tape offset to allow more pressure on insert edge and more pressure on bezel underside.
Old 6 December 2017, 07:28 AM   #11
milwatch126
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone

Thanks,
All lets see
Old 6 December 2017, 11:00 PM   #12
Eric88
"TRF" Member

Here's an approach I did not see documented here. This has worked well for me over the years when trying to mount a stubborn insert into the bezel ring. First, I remove the bezel assembly from the watch and take out the insert I am replacing. Next, I put the bezel ring assembly back on the watch. Then I place the new insert into the ring, just setting it there but not yet applying any pressure. I then place a soft cloth over top of the watch head. Next, I use the plastic cap from a pill bottle that I found that is the same size as the bezel insert, just slightly larger than the circumference of the crystal. I place the cap on top of the cloth and then apply pressure to the plastic cap until the insert snaps into place. The cap allows me to apply even pressure to the entire insert at the same time, while the cloth protects the insert from getting any scratches. Only with the most stubborn of inserts have I needed to use the reshaping techniques described above. In most cases, I have been able to successfully snap the insert into place using the cloth and cap method.
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 08:19 AM   #13
milwatch126
"TRF" Member

Thank you Eric!

And again Eric,

M
Old 7 December 2017, 12:27 PM   #14
Ghost1665
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1979 Ref. 1665 mk1
Quote:
And again Eric,

M
Lol. Zicam (25 tablet count) = 1665.

Last edited by Ghost1665; 7 December 2017 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Yes, thank you, Eric
Ghost1665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 02:47 AM   #15
milwatch126
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost1665 View Post
Lol. Zicam (25 tablet count) = 1665.
What?
Old 8 December 2017, 02:57 AM   #16
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

I've used Eric's method also with success. But I still recommend seeking out "hands on" assistance from someone with experience. This can easily be a $2k mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 03:07 AM   #17
Ghost1665
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1979 Ref. 1665 mk1
Quote:
What?
Just saying what pill cap fit my 1665. If You use this method though be careful to not smash and split the pearl.
Ghost1665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2017, 04:23 AM   #18
schaumburgla
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub
I have used the Rolex ref 1006 tool

Bezel resizing tool with much success on old inserts. I have been able too loosen the metal
bezels & get stubborn inserts out, as well as loosen bezels & than put stubborn inserts in. The bezel will of course have to be re tightened when the insert is in place to fit back properly onto the retention ring.The problem can come when you over tighten the bezel around the insert thus occasionally causing it to split or crack at the 12:00/ pearl position. Hasn't happened to me yet but I can see how it could.
Many AD watchmakers have this tool or a similar functioning one.

Best
Justin
schaumburgla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 07:56 AM   #19
milwatch126
"TRF" Member

1962 5512 long 5 insert saga.......

Good news a quick up-date after finding an experience Rolex vintage watchmaker my watch has returned with a nicely fitted long five insert. What a difference it makes, pictures to follow. Next on the list of putting the watch back to its factory spec’s is to have to the original 7206, 3/62 rivet bracelet found on the watch refurbished and the sourced 700 tube and crown fitted.

M
Old 16 January 2018, 12:56 AM   #20
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.lats97nsx View Post
jewellers nylon pliers work great. Always put the insert with the pearl end first then work it down with the nylon pliers.

Sent from my sm-n950u using tapatalk
+1
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 09:52 AM   #21
athom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi,

Cheers,
M
M
When metal stuff is too big I put it in my freezer during a whole night and after it's a tad smaller and normally it should works !
athom is offline   Reply With Quote