The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 November 2019, 12:23 AM   #1
ddubb
"TRF" Member

My New (To Me) PAM510

I wanted to stop by and say hello with my new-to-me (and redux) PAM510.

This is my first post over here on the Panerai forum, and my second time around with this particular reference. I owned a 510 for a couple years and really enjoyed it. But I found it was getting less and less rotation time, so I traded it this summer along with 3 other watches to fund a Daydate. Fast forward a couple months and I found that I was really missing the uniqueness of the Panerai in my collection.

I wasn’t dead set on the 510 again, but my wants were: manual wind, 44mm Luminor case, seconds subdial, and sandwich dial - and it had to fit a relatively low budget. This led me to pre-owned 111s or 510s. The 8 days movement and thinner case took me right back to the 510 again though. I felt stupid re-purchasing a watch I had sold a couple months prior, and I took about a $1000 hit, but I’m glad it’s back in my collection and I’ve mostly gotten over my earlier poor decision to sell.

Anyway, here’s a pic. (Quality ain’t great cuz I don’t have tapatalk VIP which limits my pic size)
ddubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 04:40 AM   #2
emtee
"TRF" Member

Nice! Congrats
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 01:24 PM   #3
nick c
Banned

Congratulations
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 01:27 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Very nice Glad you came to your senses
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 02:00 PM   #5
groundswell77
"TRF" Member

Good choice.
groundswell77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 02:42 PM   #6
Deityjazz
Banned

Cheers to you
Deityjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 03:49 PM   #7
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome back! :-)
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 06:26 PM   #8
juve
"TRF" Member

510 is a great piece. Congrats.
juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 06:29 PM   #9
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Nice model, tough love.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 09:44 PM   #10
ddubb
"TRF" Member

Thanks all, glad to be back! I should have never sold it in the first place. Maybe this will teach me to stop being so impulsive... who am I kidding...
Old 22 November 2019, 09:44 PM   #11
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 11:21 PM   #12
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Congrats, looks awesome. Is that an oem Assolutamenta strap?
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 11:38 PM   #13
ddubb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg18 View Post
Congrats, looks awesome. Is that an oem Assolutamenta strap?

It is not. I actually got it off of Amazon lol. I bought a new OEM Asso strap from Panerai last week, but was a little upset with how very dark brown it was compared to my old one. I really wanted a much more beige color. I found this one on Amazon that is incredibly similar to the Asso (sueded, padded, etc) but beige - and only $17. So I figured what the heck. Here’s a pic of the Asso and this one side by side so you can see the color difference.

Old 23 November 2019, 12:01 AM   #14
mg18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddubb View Post
It is not. I actually got it off of Amazon lol. I bought a new OEM Asso strap from Panerai last week, but was a little upset with how very dark brown it was compared to my old one. I really wanted a much more beige color. I found this one on Amazon that is incredibly similar to the Asso (sueded, padded, etc) but beige - and only $17. So I figured what the heck. Here’s a pic of the Asso and this one side by side so you can see the color difference.

Oh wow it looks nice! I was asking because I have that brown asso strap in the pic you just posted and I was thinking of either getting the lighter tan or beige one soon as well. I was initially talked out of it because the dark brown stitching is white whereas on the lighter strap, it is more of a patina colour and the SA didn't think it was as nice for the 111. Did they not have the lighter colour when you went to look at them? I think they also have olive green and black if memory serves.
Old 23 November 2019, 12:05 AM   #15
ddubb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg18 View Post
Oh wow it looks nice! I was asking because I have that brown asso strap in the pic you just posted and I was thinking of either getting the lighter tan or beige one soon as well. I was initially talked out of it because the dark brown stitching is white whereas on the lighter strap, it is more of a patina colour and the SA didn't think it was as nice for the 111. Did they not have the lighter colour when you went to look at them? I think they also have olive green and black if memory serves.

All I can find on the Panerai website was what they call “dark brown beige”, that’s the one in my pic. Now, they do have a beige strap that they call an Asso (it has the Panerai logo at the lug ends) but it is flat and not padded, and not sueded. I bought it thinking is was a typical Asso strap. It was not and I returned it.
Old 23 November 2019, 12:15 AM   #16
mg18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All I can find on the Panerai website was what they call “dark brown beige”, that’s the one in my pic. Now, they do have a beige strap that they call an Asso (it has the Panerai logo at the lug ends) but it is flat and not padded, and not sueded. I bought it thinking is was a typical Asso strap. It was not and I returned it.
Ahh, I hope they didn't get rid of it, that would suck!
Old 24 November 2019, 05:55 AM   #17
bjlev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM 305
Beautiful and timeless model, congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bjlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 01:02 AM   #18
bigmikebee
"TRF" Member

Very Nice!
bigmikebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 03:41 AM   #19
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's always best to call Panerai directly when it comes to OEM straps. I can't speak for your particular strap, but if you call NYC or Dallas they have tons of straps in stock that aren't listed on the website configurator. As long as you get a sales rep who knows what they are talking about, I was able to get more difficult to find straps in sizes that were not listed on the website. My favorite is the Ranger strap that came on the original 372 and some of the special edition Radiomir models. They were able to source that strap in various sizes even though they aren't listed on the website.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 06:36 AM   #20
ddubb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
It's always best to call Panerai directly when it comes to OEM straps. I can't speak for your particular strap, but if you call NYC or Dallas they have tons of straps in stock that aren't listed on the website configurator. As long as you get a sales rep who knows what they are talking about, I was able to get more difficult to find straps in sizes that were not listed on the website. My favorite is the Ranger strap that came on the original 372 and some of the special edition Radiomir models. They were able to source that strap in various sizes even though they aren't listed on the website.

Thanks for the suggestion! I did call Panerai directly last year when I had this watch before with questions about padding on the nubuck alligator strap, and they contacted a couple Panerai boutiques for me to answer my questions hands-on. So I can confirm that they were very helpful.

I’ll give them a ring to see about a lighter Asso strap. The cheap Asso strap I bought from Amazon is just a touch too yellow; I would like to find one closer to the earlier OEM beige straps.
Old 12 December 2019, 07:21 AM   #21
siegrist
"TRF" Member

congratulations
siegrist is offline   Reply With Quote