The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 December 2019, 03:04 AM   #31
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Ok...but over half the value?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Hard to say.

I might be wrong.

What do you think? Could you be wrong?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 03:06 AM   #32
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Excellent! The next installment of "AS THE SUPERDOG MUDDLES"!!

If I gifted the watch, I would either drop this all together just to be done with it, or button it down with a short note to the failing AD re: disappointed, let down, etc. gifted the watch to be done with the unpleasant issue . . . .

Then forget about it, and on to the next challenge . . . . Hang in there Seth!
Wait until you hear about my kitchen!!!

And my MIL!!!!

It’s mostly comedy right now. So I’ll keep it all in one post and try to be brief about it!

Old 14 December 2019, 03:13 AM   #33
Brew
"TRF" Member

Like I said, hang in there. It's gotta turn around for you eventually!!!

[note, I actually snorted and spit coffee as I typed that. lol]
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 03:34 AM   #34
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Hard to say.

I might be wrong.

What do you think? Could you be wrong?
I am frequently wrong but I buy and sell a lot of watches and 50%+ seems a bit much. And if it really is that much I would think the missing cert is o ly a small part of the hit.

zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 03:40 AM   #35
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Like I said, hang in there. It's gotta turn around for you eventually!!!

[note, I actually snorted and spit coffee as I typed that. lol]
Ha. Yeah brother. Living the dream.

But truly it’s one “event” after the next. At least it’s not dull.

Old 14 December 2019, 04:56 AM   #36
replicator
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP
If it was promised at the time of purchase then I’d expect a refund because for me the papers are part of the watch itself.
replicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 05:02 AM   #37
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They told me at the time that the set was incomplete as it didn’t yet have the LE Certificate. However, they guaranteed me that it would be coming. And for months they informed me it was close. Then it was imminent in the coming days.

And then it wasn’t coming at all. They stopped producing them for this watch and it wasn’t going to be produced again. Ever. It was apparently escalated so they offered me a watch box as consolation.
Seth, this is a really strange situation to begin with and honestly makes little to no sense. 357 watches, 357 certs. It's simple math. Were they somehow suggesting that only a limited number of the limited number were supplied with certificates? If so then you have an even more rare watch?? Unlikely. Ocam's razor says your watch had a certificate and someone lost it - either the AD or the supplier. They offered you a watch box as compensation? Seriously?? I hope it was a Scatola del Tempo.

Quote:
Truth is, my VP of sales always loved it. It just became part of his Christmas bonus. He would never ever sell it.
Extremely generous and not surprising form what we know of your loyalty, good nature and kind spirit, but " he would never sell it"? How many times have many of us spoken those words....

Quote:
Most of them had the cert. I think all. This was sold with the intention of them making it complete.

If I hadn’t gifted it, and I did want to sell it someday, I’m selling an incomplete set. I’d lose a significant amount. Some buyers might not even buy an incomplete LE set without the cert.
No doubt they all had certs, this one got lost by someone before it was sold to you and was misrepresented (intentionally or unintentionally). I wonder if one of the trusted sellers had done this if the outcome would be different? From what i hear about guys like DavidSW, I'd guess David would take the watch back for full refund under the circumstances. AD is held to a lower standard?

Also, how much of your decision to gift this watch could be based on some diminished enthusiasm over the missing certificate? I know from my own perspective that when desire wanes I find myself more eager to part ways. Not questioning your generosity here Seth (his bonus would have no doubt been supplemented by some other measure), but just wondering if it influenced your decision in any way.

Quote:
No sir. He doesn’t care at all. Not one bit.

But I also feel it’s fair that they somehow make this right.
How would you know if he did care? I can't imagine receiving such a generous gift and then saying "thanks, but what about the certificate?!"

Even if he doesn't care, that doesn't change the unfairness of the situation. This can easily be made right either by the AD or with their help and needs to be imo.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 05:04 AM   #38
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I am frequently wrong but I buy and sell a lot of watches and 50%+ seems a bit much. And if it really is that much I would think the missing cert is o ly a small part of the hit.

For an incomplete limited edition.

I admit, I speculate. But I’d not pay much for it. Except that I did.

Old 14 December 2019, 05:06 AM   #39
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
It’s the principal as much as anything else.

Truth is, my VP of sales always loved it. It just became part of his Christmas bonus. He would never ever sell it.

But you don’t think this situation is wrong?
Any job openings coming up?
Old 14 December 2019, 05:11 AM   #40
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There's plenty of guys here that wouldn't buy a regular production without the proper paperwork. Buyers of LE take this to a completely different level. I think without the cert it would be hard to find a buyer even at a 50% haircut.

Not saying it makes sense, but we don't make the rules.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 06:13 AM   #41
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
I bought a truly limited edition, to 357 pieces, watch from a brand I very much appreciate. I purchased from an authorized dealer.

They told me at the time that the set was incomplete as it didn’t yet have the LE Certificate. However, they guaranteed me that it would be coming. And for months they informed me it was close. Then it was imminent in the coming days.

And then it wasn’t coming at all. They stopped producing them for this watch and it wasn’t going to be produced again. Ever. It was apparently escalated so they offered me a watch box as consolation.

This watch was over $16,000. Now it’s an incomplete set worth less than half that. Clearly that’s bad in the world of this watch community we all congregate in.

I do consider value and value retention when buying a watch. Or anything actually.

I have been very loyal to this brand for years. I never buy gray as they have most of their collection available for purchase. I’m disappointed. I have the email for some big wigs. And I’m going to send off an extremely polite but pointed email.

But was curious to the hives collective thoughts before I do so.

Thanks folks.

Hi Seth: (I am sending you a PM as well.)

Buying new? Definitely, all accessories necessary.

If Omega is now providing authentic paperwork for watches older than 30yrs, surely they can figure out how to provide a replacement certificate for you, even if you have to send them the watch...

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/c...s-and-extracts

---

Accompanying documentation of a watch would be a factor in retaining its value, but mostly authentication that it is not a replica, IMHO.

Below is a link from borro that has a tidy list of essentials for a watch. I'm from the camp that likes "papers" to back up an appraisal, as well.

https://www.borro.com/insights/blog/...-papers-watch/

BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 07:45 AM   #42
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
This is unacceptable. They need to take care of you one way or another. They should offer you a handful of Speedys or something. Pretty awesome gift btw. What a great bonus.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 04:04 PM   #43
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Ultimately it comes down to being promised something at the time of sale and then this not being delivered upon. That’s a poor show in anyone’s book.

Sure things can happen but then they should find an agreeable solution.

I am surprised missing paperwork would affect value that much, if so, this would certainly compound things for me.

Hope your team member will enjoy wearing it regularly anyway.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 04:17 PM   #44
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Makes sense. Thanks for your thoughts.

At this point, I think my only recourse is Omega directly.
And that only took until post 25.

You are the man Seth.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 01:33 AM   #45
Famz_01
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
unacceptable

Quote:
Interestingly enough, they have another.

I think it’s the last. And I love it. But not enough to buy it again.
I would return it. I like all my sets being 100% complete Imo thats unacceptable
Famz_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 01:59 AM   #46
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

okay, so a quick update. I was there yesterday as they had given me a nice strap for my speedy. the manager said that it has been escalated all the way up. The top guy, who I have had dinner with a few times, has said that he will take care of it himself.

I was still told not to hold my breath. I will send a nice email this weekend anyway just to reinforce my disappointment. and truly, I don't really care all that much. I am not losing sleep over it. I just don't think it is right...and I believe in doing what is right.

in regard to my guy not caring about the certificate, he doesn't even know what is happening. he doesn't even have the box. I still have everything as he has not asked for it. I gave him a GMT LN years ago and he wore it everyday until I gave him this one. he has worn this since he got it. unless he absolutely needed the cash, I can't see even the idea of him selling it cross his mind. we are too close for that, and it means too much to him.

and I have had a few questions here and offline so I will answer. I have always been, and always will be an open book. I have always been this way. if I have something and I don't need it, I am happy to give it away. I never ask for anything in return and I don't want anything in return. it is not my style. I have done that for members here. not watches. but strap sets and the like. some specific members like Chadri and Rick (investr) and I give straps, endlinks and deployants back and forth all the time. and I have made quite a few other close friends that I would do that for in a heartbeat.

in regard to watches I have gifted:

my COO has two Rolex's and one Omega.
VP of sales has one Rolex and one Omega.
Top sales guy has one Omega
Field Supervisor has one Omega
Office manager has one Omega
Controller has one Omega
Dad two Rolex's (one is a gosh dang DD2)
Mom one Rolex
BIL on one side one Breitling
BIL on the other side one Omega
Ex business partner one Rolex.
Wife...more than I have.

when someone gets to a certain point in my company, they get to pick a watch. lately it has only been Omega for various reasons that are easy to guess. I will get a wrist shot together soon.

I don't see it as being generous. I see it as the right thing to do and simply the way to be. In college if I had $40 to my name and I needed $20, I gave the other $20 away. I have always been like this and I believe it is one of the reasons I have had some of the success I have had.

I enjoy making people happy.

I will keep you guys updated on this as it unfolds....

thanks for all the comments.

Old 15 December 2019, 03:51 AM   #47
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
okay, so a quick update. I was there yesterday as they had given me a nice strap for my speedy. the manager said that it has been escalated all the way up. The top guy, who I have had dinner with a few times, has said that he will take care of it himself.

I was still told not to hold my breath. I will send a nice email this weekend anyway just to reinforce my disappointment. and truly, I don't really care all that much. I am not losing sleep over it. I just don't think it is right...and I believe in doing what is right.

in regard to my guy not caring about the certificate, he doesn't even know what is happening. he doesn't even have the box. I still have everything as he has not asked for it. I gave him a GMT LN years ago and he wore it everyday until I gave him this one. he has worn this since he got it. unless he absolutely needed the cash, I can't see even the idea of him selling it cross his mind. we are too close for that, and it means too much to him.

and I have had a few questions here and offline so I will answer. I have always been, and always will be an open book. I have always been this way. if I have something and I don't need it, I am happy to give it away. I never ask for anything in return and I don't want anything in return. it is not my style. I have done that for members here. not watches. but strap sets and the like. some specific members like Chadri and Rick (investr) and I give straps, endlinks and deployants back and forth all the time. and I have made quite a few other close friends that I would do that for in a heartbeat.

Controller has one Omega
Mom one Rolex
Wife...more than I have.

when someone gets to a certain point in my company, they get to pick a watch. lately it has only been Omega for various reasons that are easy to guess. I will get a wrist shot together soon.

I don't see it as being generous. I see it as the right thing to do and simply the way to be. In college if I had $40 to my name and I needed $20, I gave the other $20 away. I have always been like this and I believe it is one of the reasons I have had some of the success I have had.

Karma Seth, it will be kind to you
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 06:20 AM   #48
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I would no question be returning it to omega Seth. Thats bs.
I agree... this would piss me off like no tomorrow
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 06:22 AM   #49
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
What would you do?

Quote:

Controller has one Omega

Mom one Rolex

Wife...more than I have.

Too many posts Seth without a picture , show us that puppy!

In regards to the certificate, hope they get it somehow as understand was part of the original deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 06:52 AM   #50
Toony
"TRF" Member

I’d want them to hold up their end.
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 08:14 AM   #51
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

okay folks. quick update.

I left off saying that the manager informed me she communicated with the head guy, whom I have met a few times, and that he stated he would take care of it.

I was content.

After two weeks without any kind of communication, I sent him an email saying that I was disappointed. I explained the situation.

He replied stating that he was sorry to hear about the situation. And that the manager did indeed speak with him, but that he had been too busy and did not look into it yet. he assured me that he would do so.

I explained to the boutique manager that I felt this was a disappointing response. She stated that she thought it was simply a language thing and that she didn't see it the way I did. I said, "okay, no problem. I trust your judgment. I will wait to hear".

that was on the 26th of December and I have still not heard from him. or anyone. (except to offer me the new 14k$ speedmaster)

interestingly enough, I had to bring it into the boutique for warranty repair work because it was not working and the Chrono hand was swinging all over the place.

I can tell you folks this...I am not happy about this situation. I will wait another week or so. if I do not hear back by then, I will tell them that they should simply keep the watch and return my money. I will use that to pick up something else for my VP of sales.

that said, as this is all going on, my VP of business distribution had his clasp break. He left it with them and they told him it would be a few days. they needed to get a clasp from another store. that was 3 weeks ago.

so yeah...this isn't going so great.

Old 10 January 2020, 11:23 AM   #52
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

Value of the watch is irrelevant, doesn't matter if you sell the watch or not.

If you were told you would get complete papers, then you should get the LE papers or the watch goes back and you get a refund.

I also find it odd that they'd even sell a watch with something missing. Unprofessional right there.
Old 10 January 2020, 10:13 PM   #53
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
This sounds like your usual bait and switch which on principle should be denied no matter what the item is.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 10:36 PM   #54
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
This sounds like your usual bait and switch which on principle should be denied no matter what the item is.
Yes, this isn’t good
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 11:17 PM   #55
blassy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN, 16800
I will add this.
Seth - you're a business owner as are many of us here.
Regardless of the size of your business - we usually when possible try to make it right with our customers.
When's the last time one of your customers had a problem and you didn't drop everything to make it right.
blassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 11:59 PM   #56
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blassy View Post
I will add this.
Seth - you're a business owner as are many of us here.
Regardless of the size of your business - we usually when possible try to make it right with our customers.
When's the last time one of your customers had a problem and you didn't drop everything to make it right.
yeah. this is the part that is really eating my grapes.

how exactly is it possible that he told me he was too busy to look into it?

and now its been nearly two and a half weeks with zero communication.

Old 11 January 2020, 12:01 AM   #57
marcusp23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, CHNR an
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Disappointing that you were not given accurate information until several months after purchasing the watch.

A good customer treated poorly by the AD.

If you choose to continue a relationship with the AD,
then let them know it is up to them make it right.

Agreed
marcusp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 01:04 AM   #58
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I like Omega watches but I confess a bit of an attitude toward their constant LE and commemorative and anniversary and other special editions.

I have a thread somewhere else about a brand new DSOTM that was basically non-functional upon arrival. I sent it to Omega and to their credit it was only about a 3 week turnaround, but in the back of your mind you always think that it should have been a priority and fixed in a day and overnighted back. Reality bites.

This situation is different because it was a gift, but yes, I'd be sorely tempted to ask for my money back. Especially if it is now requiring repair.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 01:18 AM   #59
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Buying a limited Omega is always a bad value proposition.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 04:10 AM   #60
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Seth, I want to help... send me the watch along with any others you are having difficulty deciding what to do with. That will get them off your mind.

Just trying to help out a friend
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote