The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 December 2019, 02:30 PM   #31
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I believe John, If you do not follow the service regime outlined by MB, you will and can have a warranty claim denied even under warranty because you simply missed a mandatory service. I think this is not a risk I would be willing to take to save a few bucks.
I mean, really, in the grand scheme of things, you are driving a nice hard top convertible and there is a cost of ownership associated with that. Don’t play with fire. Bring the car for the scheduled service a or b that MB has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 01:12 AM   #32
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
The last new cars I've had in the past decade from Audi, Porsche, VW, BMW, and MINI all suggested yearly oil service regardless of mileage. All used synthetic oil.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 01:50 AM   #33
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
In the UK if you miss a service while under warranty they would wriggle out of any warranty work.
The car would also be worth a lot less than the cost of the service if you plan on selling it soon.
Many people would not look at a car without full main dealer service history.
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 06:27 AM   #34
SwedishPar
Banned

Buy a $50K car and ask about a $75 oilchange.

I have a few cars I put maybe 250miles/year on and still take to dealer for oilchange yearly.
Cheap insurance knowing I have fresh fluids.

Nessecary? Maybe not...
SwedishPar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 06:45 AM   #35
Mr Perfect
Banned

Watch: IC Title
Don't be tight, get the car serviced, it'll be worth it in the long run.
Mr Perfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 07:15 AM   #36
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
My 95 Vette has 48,000 miles on it, gets driven (maybe) a couple thousand miles a year, but I still change the oil every 12 months and other fluids every 36, it’s best for the long term life of the engine.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 10:46 AM   #37
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
The last new cars I've had in the past decade from Audi, Porsche, VW, BMW, and MINI all suggested yearly oil service regardless of mileage. All used synthetic oil.
I am pretty sure Porsche is 10,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

Just that most owners don’t hit the distance limit.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 10:47 AM   #38
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Yes, we will do it for that reason. It is a scam, but you either play or pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
I believe John, If you do not follow the service regime outlined by MB, you will and can have a warranty claim denied even under warranty because you simply missed a mandatory service. I think this is not a risk I would be willing to take to save a few bucks.
I mean, really, in the grand scheme of things, you are driving a nice hard top convertible and there is a cost of ownership associated with that. Don’t play with fire. Bring the car for the scheduled service a or b that MB has.

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 10:49 AM   #39
locutus49
Banned

50K??? In pesos? You can't even find used models for that price. In fact, in my area there are no used models available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishPar View Post
Buy a $50K car and ask about a $75 oilchange.

I have a few cars I put maybe 250miles/year on and still take to dealer for oilchange yearly.
Cheap insurance knowing I have fresh fluids.

Nessecary? Maybe not...
Old 14 December 2019, 10:49 AM   #40
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
Another Corvette owner here. Low yearly mileage. Oil is changed once a year, as per the owner’s manual. I always bought an extended warranty and did not want to risk a denied claim.

It’s just good insurance.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 10:01 PM   #41
nda
"TRF" Member

As others have said, there are several good reasons for this first service - and subsequent services.

1. First oil change is important - there will be 'stuff' flushed out in the first few thousand miles.

2. To maintain your warranty, you must comply with the service schedule.

3. If you want to protect the residual value - were you to sell in the future - a fully stamped service book is important to most buyers.

I have cars I don't drive much - but always have them serviced annually, whatever the mileage.
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 10:16 PM   #42
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
A first oil change isn’t a bad idea. Especially if you own the car.
This
Old 14 December 2019, 10:35 PM   #43
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

First FLUIDS change....

One of my 'tricks' is that if i plan to keep a vehicle for a very long time then change ALL fluids after a few thou miles. This includes, oil, coolant, and yes even the transmission fluid (and sure, brake fluid too only if you insist). While some people might not like the added expense, my feelings are that it is good to 'flush out' whatever bits may be lingering during initial mating of the moving parts.

And yes i know there are filters... yet fluids are your vehicle's lifeblood. This full fluid change is more important (in my crazy mind) if it is a 'hard service' vehicle used for towing (truck) or tracking (exotic).

Please, at a minimum change the oil and filter to help get out the initial mating of metals.

JMHO YMMV
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 01:01 AM   #44
locutus49
Banned

Thanks. Good tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
First FLUIDS change....

One of my 'tricks' is that if i plan to keep a vehicle for a very long time then change ALL fluids after a few thou miles. This includes, oil, coolant, and yes even the transmission fluid (and sure, brake fluid too only if you insist). While some people might not like the added expense, my feelings are that it is good to 'flush out' whatever bits may be lingering during initial mating of the moving parts.

And yes i know there are filters... yet fluids are your vehicle's lifeblood. This full fluid change is more important (in my crazy mind) if it is a 'hard service' vehicle used for towing (truck) or tracking (exotic).

Please, at a minimum change the oil and filter to help get out the initial mating of metals.

JMHO YMMV
Old 15 December 2019, 01:07 AM   #45
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Take the car for service, not a dealer scam but MB guidelines.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 01:23 AM   #46
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Yes, at least an oil change, especially considering short trips are generally not good for an engine. Should try to put some highway miles on your car to ensure engine heats up to operating temperature, and burn off any residual moisture.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 01:32 AM   #47
SwedishPar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
50K??? In pesos? You can't even find used models for that price. In fact, in my area there are no used models available.
Sound like you didnt do your homework before buying as the model you're refering to starts out at 49950. Add some options and you have a 60K car that you can haggle down towards the low 50's if you're a cash buyer.

As it is the base model and not the AMG ist not very high in demand nor does it hold its value very well.
But theres an ass for every seat I guess.

Now we got off topic,but to answer your question. Yes I would cange the oil every year ( I do it when I have my state inspection done as I bring my cars to the dealer for that complimentary service)

Change my brake fluid every 3yrs and coolant every 5.
I might in those 5 years have put 2000miles on my garage queens,Overkill maybe,but the $500 or so I spend for fluid maintenance is irrelevant compared to insurance,taxes and depreciation
SwedishPar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 01:45 AM   #48
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
A lot of sound advice in this thread. Nothing to add really but it's certainly worth doing, even for the warranty alone.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 01:56 AM   #49
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
You're supposed to 'change' the oil?
Thought you just added more when the light came on.
Old 15 December 2019, 05:46 AM   #50
mschafer
"TRF" Member

Read up in your manual, MB service is usual 10k miles or 12 month. I feel it’s essential to keep this up especially while the car is under warranty. Greasing some items like the sunroof, etc. Compile a list of squeaks and rattles and drop it of and get a loaner. Also, MB offers prepaid care packages that should reduce the cost of the individual services.
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 03:09 AM   #51
zengineer
"TRF" Member

My BMW is a 6 cylinder turbo. I believe that MB is a 2.0l 4 cyl turbo. That's a pretty hard working engine. Mine's a convertible I drive maybe 3000mi per year. 3 years (or 36,000 miles) of annual oil changes and even semi annual brake fluid and cabin air filter changes are still included ( this is included Maintenance, not warranty as some mistakenly interchange the terms) at no cost to me...so I have it done. Once I'm outside that "included maintenance" period I'll just do it myself but will at the most stretch it to 2 years no matter how few miles. I would have thought a 2019 MB would include free maintenance but a quick search suggests it is not standard but many negotiate 2 years into the purchase. In general it's a use it or lose it deal ( it's for so much time or miles, not a certain number of services). Could it impact warranty if ignored ...yes, but it still has to be proven it's a cause and effect. They can't deny warranty on a power window motor because you were late on an oil change.

I assume you know if it is or isn't included. If it is the answer is simple. If not, I wouldn't go beyond 2 years and maybe do the brake fluid every 4.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 05:21 AM   #52
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post

Actually there are quite a few pre-owned 2019’s in the low 40’s on MBUSA. One in Calabasas with 3k miles for 42K.

GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 05:47 AM   #53
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 07:00 AM   #54
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
By the time you see that light it's party over for that engine!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 07:01 AM   #55
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Actually there are quite a few pre-owned 2019’s in the low 40’s on MBUSA. One in Calabasas with 3k miles for 42K.

I suspect the OP did not search outside of the La Jolla area. California is a large state!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 10:47 AM   #56
Jabbo84
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Piaget
I have an M5C and don’t drive it as much as I should. I change the oil every 6 months, but I’m OCD . Servicing a German car is a must
Jabbo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 02:22 PM   #57
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
First FLUIDS change....

JMHO YMMV

I agree and can’t believe some of the “advice” that came from fairly ignorant opinions posing as fact.

The OP said the car was 18 months old and hadn’t been serviced yet. So time is a factor - even an air filter might need looking into.

In addition to your points, there is another factor: hygroscopicity.

It is true that synthetic lubricants have greater effectiveness over mineral based ones. But the additives can have water-holding affinity and this will depend on the application of the oil. Hydraulic fluid, engine oil, or gearbox oil all react differently.

Even if you don’t change the brake fluid, at least bleed the brakes.

Last thing, the oil filters can get clogged if any journal bearings have shed some metal in the break-in period. Even if the oil is fine, filter clogs can cause pressure imbalance and some starvation. That would be especially troublesome in the cylinder head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 02:55 PM   #58
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
It’s a mb not a vw
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 03:30 PM   #59
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I agree and can’t believe some of the “advice” that came from fairly ignorant opinions posing as fact.

The OP said the car was 18 months old and hadn’t been serviced yet. So time is a factor - even an air filter might need looking into.

In addition to your points, there is another factor: hygroscopicity.

It is true that synthetic lubricants have greater effectiveness over mineral based ones. But the additives can have water-holding affinity and this will depend on the application of the oil. Hydraulic fluid, engine oil, or gearbox oil all react differently.

Even if you don’t change the brake fluid, at least bleed the brakes.

Last thing, the oil filters can get clogged if any journal bearings have shed some metal in the break-in period. Even if the oil is fine, filter clogs can cause pressure imbalance and some starvation. That would be especially troublesome in the cylinder head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 03:49 PM   #60
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Another vote for oil change this should be free on a car that new.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote