The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 25 July 2013, 07:50 AM   #451
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610,116233,OsQz
Rikki, does it look like I have the chart right?
RE:
#1=[same] Synt A lube 9010
#3=KT 22?
#4=Mobeius graphite grease
#5=Microlube [KT22?]
#6=Mobebius 9415
#7... Where the heck is that even on the chart??

So PML 163 could be replaced by KT 22 in a pinch? Trying to get some kind of feedback on my analog list of 'this = that' as well.

I'm pretty sure there is a lot more flexibility with what specific oils can be used as long as a relative viscosity matches application... much more forgiving then say.. over oiling!
LordNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2013, 07:51 AM   #452
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Also: As always thanks for the clarification, almost oiling time for me.. I'd like a better cleaning system but that's going to be a continued adventure it seems.. Nothing great out there for sale right now that I'd want to buy..
Old 31 July 2013, 10:02 AM   #453
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Hey guys, sorry I have been MIA.. my IP address is banned from the website again.. I get flagged most likely because I use a few different systems and IP ranges at the same time [Forget to log out] and this has happened just recently as well.. I've been banned for a week I think so far.. or 'blocked' I guess.

I'm behind a Proxy just to post this as my phone is slow today. I did email Lol-x but it's been a few days, i assume he's busy or has not seen the message yet.. or perhaps he's punishing me for overloading his server with 10 gigs of photos and ranting.. Hahaha...

Anyway, hoping to be back soon. Since I spoke with you folks I completely broke down a beautiful Waltham movement and cleaned it with Zenith clean/rinse solutions.. (That stuff may be a little too dangerous for in home use../office) and then I reassembled and oiled the whole movement. I even applied the Fix-o-drop to the proper areas in the escapement.

The result was an amplitude of 180 to now 359 steady! WOW. Here are some pictures, please forgive my lack of bench.. I did this elsewhere to share it with my friend Rob.. I did not care about the movement so much or worry about flying parts as it was more of a quick test.. Quick, by the way.. it took me 3 hours to do this.. Proxy does not allow pics but I'll post them when I am unblocked.

*salute* NEXT UP... The full disassembly, cleaning and reassembly of the 3035 sub. I think I am ready.
Old 1 August 2013, 03:08 AM   #454
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
PM sent Chris
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2013, 02:52 AM   #455
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
still on vacation will answer all on Saturday Thanx all Rikki
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2013, 06:16 AM   #456
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Rikki, I'm still blocked from the website so I am not on as much right now. Just on my phone which is slow and through a proxy that does not allow me to upload. *shrug*
Old 17 August 2013, 11:50 AM   #457
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Guess who's back!? I'll be posting the break down and oiling of the 3035 soon. I have yet to embark. Thanks to whoever unbanned my IP.. if it was not automated release. I'll try to stick to using my desktop for the forum.
Old 17 August 2013, 04:56 PM   #458
dom_
"TRF" Member

That amplitude seems too high for that pocket watch, it wouldn't of been doing that much out of the factory.
dom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2013, 06:45 AM   #459
Rikki
TechXpert

Yeah my email account is all f'd up from outlook taking over Hotmail and keeps sending LOL-X pictures over and over I've been trying to stop it and I think I have he hasn't sent any nasty emails my way lately I will be going over to Gmail starting next week. Rik
Old 17 November 2013, 06:08 AM   #460
b06tmm
"TRF" Member

We need updates here!

I apologize for being selfish but this is one of my favorite threads and would love to see it continued.
b06tmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2013, 06:11 AM   #461
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

No need to apologize friend. I'm actually busy between my two companies and I've had some adventures with watches/repair to share. I too was just thinking about this thread and wanted to add more to it. It's not dead rest assured.

I'll post some new stuff before next weekend. Besides, I'm past due in my routine of bugging Rik... Hahaha
Old 10 May 2014, 12:39 AM   #462
mikie1
Banned

NOT the hands

The ultrasonic will remove everything but the metal on the hands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordNinja View Post
Also Rikki: I was playing with an old pocket watch today by Waltham. I manually placed it in beat. First, I cleaned it up and came to the balance.I wanted to one dip it without dropping it in assembled {wheel+spring} to avoid risk of roller jewel shellac getting damaged. I've had to replace a roller jewel AND pallet stones and.. well no thanks if I don't have to do that again..

I forgot to mark/note where the collet sat before cleaning though.. hah.I used the imaginary line technique whilst the balance was at rest,roller jewel sitting between the horns of the pallet proper, mainspring wound down, entrance stone properly associated with escapement wheel teeth to sort it out and get the stud to where it needed to be. It is fun to start to really grasp the interplay between the various escapement [swiss] components and how they impact the rest of the watch. This stuff would of been a mystery to me 2 years ago.

The book 'The Watch Repairer's Manual' by Fried was helpful in this case. I read through it but at the time did not directly need to know how to do some of this stuff so it comes back to me here and there, least I have to review. I remember what I read mostly though.
mikie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 01:13 AM   #463
SubTTKky
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Icon14

Hi Chris,

Your equipments and setup is very professional, kindly advise how much you invested in the tools and kits? And if possible share the link on where to buy it please n thanks much!

Rolex Sub16613,GMT IIC 116713,Daytona 116523 (Golden Champage with Diamonds),DD1803,18038,18238,DJ16233,DJ16014,Omega Speedy
SubTTKky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2014, 09:13 AM   #464
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Kky,

I could compile a list.. I collected this stuff over many months. I've not been as active recently and have not had as much time for watches sadly.
Old 13 October 2014, 02:00 PM   #465
Foxglove
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Kky,

I could compile a list.. I collected this stuff over many months. I've not been as active recently and have not had as much time for watches sadly.
Just found this thread and wow .... simply amazing. Great work, great dedication, and thank you so much for sharing with everyone. I've learned a lot and have been seriously inspired and impressed.

Cheers
Ross
Foxglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2014, 10:16 AM   #466
Sidmind
"TRF" Member

Watch: you, watch me!!
Great read, I started learning to service my own watches about two years ago myself. Ran into many of the same issues you have and acquired all the same tools + many more. Even purchased a vintage watchmaker desk to keep it all tidy in the living room. The wife doesn't mind so much because its antique looking and I clean up after myself.

When I win the lottery I plan to go to watchmaking school but not before then, in the meantime I will continue to enjoy being a watchtinker never to be confused with a watchmaker.

Keep it up the great post.
Sidmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2014, 11:21 AM   #467
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
This is the kind of stuff that made me choose watchmaking. I was seeing it happen on a daily basis so its only natural to wanna try it. You have passion for this, and it shows.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2015, 07:50 AM   #468
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Thanks Dalton.. Sadly I got robbed at gun point and got out of watches for a little while but I'm slowly getting back into it. I had not been on the forum in a long time since then. Still have my bench but there is a little dust on it. Perhaps I need a new tech project.
Old 25 January 2015, 04:40 AM   #469
b06tmm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks Dalton.. Sadly I got robbed at gun point and got out of watches for a little while but I'm slowly getting back into it. I had not been on the forum in a long time since then. Still have my bench but there is a little dust on it. Perhaps I need a new tech project.
At first I was excited to see the thread bumped, but not so much now reading the above.

I wish you the best in whatever new project you decide on.

I've recently been obsessing on old Yamaha acoustic guitars that were not exported.
Old 26 January 2015, 11:30 AM   #470
Rikki
TechXpert

Well I'm waiting ahahaha
Old 26 January 2015, 03:18 PM   #471
neilp
"TRF" Member

Great thread I've just read through it and I learned a lot, thank you. Your adventures have inspired me to consider tackling a couple of older watches I have that need repair. I'm looking at the TZ courses as a starting point.

Sorry to hear of the robbery that you suffered, I hope you came through it ok and had good insurance.
neilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2015, 11:30 AM   #472
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

I'm back!

I got this great 16610 on the forum and I was just cleaning the gunk out of the bezel and guessed it had never been serviced.. It had not (Based on lack of markings and overall condition of the movement)! It's one of the nicer ones I've seen internally. The bracelet feels 'tin-ier' than I recall but that could be I wore a 116610 for 2 years straight prior. It's been a while since I've owned a 16610... Y serial.

The clasp is a little tight but I don't think it was worn very much.. anyway on to the pics I had not opened a Rolex in months! I did as Rikki taught me and removed the bezel without leaving any marks.. then proceeded to use my openall LG to remove the case back carefully.. also left no trace! Not bad for getting warmed up:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (36.2 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (20.3 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (24.8 KB, 373 views)
File Type: png 4.png (189.7 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (45.6 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (43.9 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (50.1 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 8.23.09 PM.jpg (25.5 KB, 378 views)
Old 22 February 2015, 02:45 AM   #473
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, no watchmakers initials on the caseback indicating the watch case has not been serviced.
Old 28 February 2015, 08:04 PM   #474
dom_
"TRF" Member

Or at the least not serviced by a vandal or someone who has a computerised repair system.
dom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2015, 01:45 PM   #475
707soldier
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX USA
Subscribed
Awesome thread
Old 6 March 2015, 09:29 PM   #476
Robert Cross
Banned

Watch: ..the Pretty Girls
Icon14

^
X2

Me Too...

Bob
Robert Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2015, 10:31 PM   #477
WatchinMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Saxonia Moonphase
Great thread. Glad you are posting again
WatchinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2015, 09:42 AM   #478
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Alright folks... a little off topic but my firm warmup for a bit! I did regulate a 3135 movement recently which reminded me of why NOT to gun for +0... It ended up losing time. I now have it running +2-4 a day.. But that's old hat!

Let's talk about this Rikki: I have a Movado that a friend dropped and the sapphire is cracked.. my only job will be getting these shards safely off the face pre-shipping.

The trouble is the movement is electronic and I've never serviced one! I do have an extensive background in electronics so there are NO surprises in here besides ONE: How the hell do I remove this blasted crown!? I looked for screws.. buttons.. I broke down the movement to the point where I would jeopardize the hands sliding off and bounding around with the glass if I undo the dial mount screw and lift.. My current assumption is that the canon pinion has to be removed to slide the movement off of the dial plate and then remove the crown? Perplexing. Have a gander:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (40.6 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (50.8 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (45.9 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (33.2 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (54.9 KB, 240 views)
Old 19 April 2015, 11:56 AM   #479
ticktack
Banned

Watch: rolex and others
this take a massive of patient and tons of dedication.... good luck man!!! i wish i have a talent like you (^_*)v
ticktack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2015, 06:43 PM   #480
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Rik!

I have a C sub 116610 that is running a little slow, I wanted to regulate it. Any chance of me safely getting into it without having to remove the bezel? Not as easy as 16610.

It's within cosc but the fact it's slow will bug me. The 16610 I regulated above is running SPOT ON for weeks now. Some days +1.