The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 August 2019, 11:38 AM   #1
tahitianmoon
Banned

Watch: AP 15400ST
Thoughts on vintage Rolex with service replacement parts

I understand that collectors want all original parts to a watch, but as a daily wearer, what is the downside to genuine Rolex service replacement parts? It seems to me that you could get a "new" vintage piece for a substantial discount. Thoughts?
tahitianmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 11:50 AM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
My 5513 with RSC-replaced dial hands and crystal (pressure tested to 200m) is my favourite Rolex that I own. Being a later model it also looks pretty much the same as it would have when new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5513 wrist.jpg (192.1 KB, 532 views)
File Type: jpg 5513.JPG (171.5 KB, 534 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-12-23 12.15.21 (2).jpg (266.7 KB, 524 views)
Old 24 August 2019, 11:58 AM   #3
tahitianmoon
Banned

Watch: AP 15400ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
My 5513 with RSC-replaced dial hands and crystal (pressure tested to 200m) is my favourite Rolex that I own. Being a later model it also looks pretty much the same as it would have when new.
Beautiful 5513 That's what I was thinking also. It seems like the chance to go back in time and get the vintage watch you want basically new. Is there any downside mechanically or resale issues to a serviced watch? I'm looking at a 1967 GMT Master 1675 with replaced dial, hands and crystal. As long as the parts are genuine, this wouldn't be frowned on as a Frankenwatch?
tahitianmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 12:32 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahitianmoon View Post
Beautiful 5513 That's what I was thinking also. It seems like the chance to go back in time and get the vintage watch you want basically new. Is there any downside mechanically or resale issues to a serviced watch? I'm looking at a 1967 GMT Master 1675 with replaced dial, hands and crystal. As long as the parts are genuine, this wouldn't be frowned on as a Frankenwatch?
Thanks. If it's all Rolex parts added by RSC then it's not Franken, it's just a properly maintained Rolex watch (in Rolex's eyes anyway). As you long as you buy at the right price you probably won't lose. I imagine these RSC-refreshed watches will only get more common and accepted as the years go by anyway, and vintage dials and hands deteriorate more and more.
Old 24 August 2019, 12:42 PM   #5
2024 Pledge Member

The only downside might be if you'll ever grow tired of the Luminova dial and hands, wishing they were tritium. But, if the case and bezel are in good shape, you can source a period-correct dial, hand set and insert later if you want to get it back to the original look.

Is the date disc still original? I'd imagine it would have hooked 7s in the 1967 era. I'd personally only go for it if the date disc were original since they can be one of the more difficult parts to source and help give it part of the vintage charm despite the service dial/hands/insert.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 01:02 PM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahitianmoon View Post
If you like it, fine. Just don't overpay, since it is no longer really collectible and the value is decimated by the service parts. Also understand that its value will not keep up with honest vintage pieces. So if you later decide you want to trade up to a legit vintage piece, you're likely to fall further and further behind as time passes.

For a daily wearer, I'd rather buy an honest tritium 14060. They develop nice patina, and actually have a chance of being considered true vintage watches in the future.
Old 24 August 2019, 02:27 PM   #7
Tools

Watch: GMT's
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a properly serviced and cared for vintage watch. This included the appropriate use of service parts.

50 year old watches are not practical with original parts, and never have been.

There is a huge difference between rare, true collector pieces with provenance and accessories, and an easily procured daily use, or nice to have in the watch-box piece.
Old 30 September 2019, 08:55 AM   #8
aayates
"TRF" Member

I have a 18238 I recently bought in to rsc for servicing. The tritium dial looks ok, but there's obviously no illumination in the dark. Will RSC replace it with a luminova dial if I approve a replacement? I plan on keeping the watch forever, so not worried about resale. But if the new dial (and hands) are not readable in the dark due to some vintage dial replacement then I will keep the original. thanks.
aayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2019, 08:59 AM   #9
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Nothing wrong with a well serviced daily wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 September 2019, 10:24 AM   #10
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Just a personal view. If I'd bought a watch with a service dial and hands at the start of my collecting career, I'd have liked it at the time, but I'd gradually have gone off it as I learned more about the hobby.

Everyone's different, of course. Having a "new" vintage watch at old prices might be perfect for some.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2019, 05:39 PM   #11
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Just a personal view. If I'd bought a watch with a service dial and hands at the start of my collecting career, I'd have liked it at the time, but I'd gradually have gone off it as I learned more about the hobby.

Everyone's different, of course. Having a "new" vintage watch at old prices might be perfect for some.
I was sorely tempted by a stunning 1680 with luminova dial and hands. In the end I knew I would tire of it and passed.
Old 1 October 2019, 01:09 AM   #12
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agreed. But to Adam's point, once someone has a larger collection and has lived with the vintage disease for a long while, it goes full circle and a properly serviced (luminova even) piece can become quite enjoyable.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2019, 10:48 PM   #13
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
I have a very similar 5513 dating from 1988 with RSC history etc. On one hand there is the classic (if not vintage) look and appeal, with the added benefit of full health check and servicing. As someone has mentioned earlier in this thread, a50 year old watch with original parts can be impractical - why not have peace of mind and enjoy!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 01:31 AM   #14
ROGERB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 89 16610, 57 7914,
Quote:
Looks good next to that fine pair of AO's!!
ROGERB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 01:49 AM   #15
air_king
"TRF" Member

The thing is you don’t need to be told by someone else why you should or shouldn’t like anything. At the end of the day it’s just a watch, enjoy what YOU like.
air_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 03:03 AM   #16
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
When buying vintage you have to consider whether it was for a not-to-be-worn piece or worn. My vintage watches were serviced by Rolex by the previous owners. To ensure wearability workout parts may have been replaced. Seals certainly to ensure water resistance. Again, the question for you, do ever intend to wear the piece? IMHO replaced parts by manufacturer’s parts still vintage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 01:42 PM   #17
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1675 View Post
Agreed. But to Adam's point, once someone has a larger collection and has lived with the vintage disease for a long while, it goes full circle and a properly serviced (luminova even) piece can become quite enjoyable.
That's what Tudor Black Bays are for.
Old 3 October 2019, 03:05 PM   #18
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
That's what Tudor Black Bays are for.
I have one of those, too. Still prefer the lighter, more streamlined look and feel refurbed 5513
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5513.JPG (171.5 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg BB on Wrist.jpg (116.6 KB, 177 views)
Old 3 October 2019, 03:06 PM   #19
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGERB View Post
Looks good next to that fine pair of AO's!!
Thanks
Old 3 October 2019, 03:42 PM   #20
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have one of those, too. Still prefer the lighter, more streamlined look and feel refurbed 5513
Both awesome. We're all blessed.
Old 6 October 2019, 12:51 AM   #21
JeffK114060
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
For a daily wear, as long as there genuine parts who cares! Wear and enjoy...

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
JeffK114060 is offline   Reply With Quote