The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 December 2018, 07:06 AM   #1
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Double-Edge Razor Users: What's Your Favorite Cream and After-Shave Product Line?

I know there are a lot of SE and DE razor users here. What shaving creams/soaps and after-shave skin care lotions or moisturizers do you like? Do you have a favorite product line? I've ordered frequently from The Art of Shaving, but it's time to order some new supplies. Any recommendations?
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 07:48 AM   #2
VanAdian
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSOTM
I use Fendrihan , being in Canada. I have tried a bunch of creams and lotions and have stuck with Taylor of Old Bond sandlewood cream and aftershave. Baxter of California is also good. I use a feather razor.

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - B. Russell
VanAdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 08:00 AM   #3
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Lately I’ve been using soap and aftershave splash from Caties Bubbles, The Holy Black, Talow and Steel, and Stirling. The soap is all solid and I like Caties Bubbles the best at the moment. I don’t like the Stirling or THB aftershave balm as I think it’s too greasy. The Art of Shaving doesn’t have the best rep in the wet shaving world, but their aftershave balm is moisturizing and not greasy. Unfortunately they discontinued the Lemon that I used to use. I have to find a new lemon moisturizer. It’s a good time to be a wet shaver as there has been an explosion of artisans making top quality products. There’s also a couple of wet shaving forums worth a look.
As for gear I’m mostly using a Merkur 34c and Feather blades. The combo of a mild razor and a wicked blade work great for me.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 08:02 AM   #4
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I like the Castle Forbes products. Excellent shaving cream that produces thick quality lather. Also Taylor of old Bond Street (Grapefruit scent or the Eton College collection).

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 08:36 AM   #5
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Started wet shaving beginning of year. Have used Taylor of Old Bond Street products - very satisfied. Currently trying out the Proraso Shaving soap and aftershave - both do wonders as well

Bwt - love my 15 minute shaving routing every 2 days now
Old 13 December 2018, 08:51 AM   #6
The Joker
"TRF" Member

gillette shaving gel, cold water
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 08:54 AM   #7
Brew
"TRF" Member

St. James of London is very good, as are the Cyril Salter creams.

. . . That is, assuming you'll take a response from someone who doesn't use DEs or SEs.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 09:13 AM   #8
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
St. James of London is very good, as are the Cyril Salter creams.

. . . That is, assuming you'll take a response from someone who doesn't use DEs or SEs.
I'm forced to use a Gillette razor every time I travel for short periods of time - damn TSA agents have taken my DE blades a few times until I decided to learn
Old 13 December 2018, 09:20 AM   #9
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
BTW, I think Castle Forbes has a trial set of shaving creams and aftershave balms that are only a few dollars, if you’re interested in a cream vs soap. Many of the artisan shops offer tester soaps affordability as well that you can press into your lather bowl to try.
I would load up on a ton of samples and see what you like.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 09:23 AM   #10
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
I'm forced to use a Gillette razor every time I travel for short periods of time - damn TSA agents have taken my DE blades a few times until I decided to learn

I have to check my bags. These aren’t permitted either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 13 December 2018, 11:26 AM   #11
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Oh boy.
The list is deep with this hobby!
I must have 70-80 soaps, croaps, and creams, but fear not, I do have some favorites.
I tend to generally like soft soaps and creams over really hard soaps. I find it easier, quicker, and more enjoyable to lather/shave using badger brushes with the softer stuff as opposed to boar brushes with the really hard soaps.

The Art of Shaving makes some really good stuff. I have some and I use it. I do think it is a bit expensive when compared to higher quality items. It is owned by Gillette.

Taylor of Old Bond Street - the Jermyn Street collection is a go to. I have the entire line. Very interesting scent that some people have really enjoyed. I love it.
I also like their Avocado shaving cream. Seriously.

Proraso Green hard soap was my starter stuff a few years ago and it's still great every time I use any of their products. Just classic Italian barber. I highly recommend their pre and post shave items as well. I also love the C.O.Bigelow cream which is made by Proraso.

Proraso also has a relatively new Single Blade line. I have the Azur Lime collection and LOVE it.

Truefitt & Hill: West Indian Limes

Saponificio Varesino: Stella Alpina is my fave, Manna di Sicilia is second, Tundra Artica is third.

If you want something as simple as it gets, great price and great performer, Nivea Men in the blue tube is a great cream. Tough to find but smallflower.com almost always has it. Along with Proraso, probably the best bang for the buck you can get.

My two favorite shaving soaps (and colognes) by scent are the two that women so far have seemed to enjoy the most. Soap scents don't last, you have to get the colognes if you want the scent to linger:

Barrister & Mann - Leviathan. A great leather and coffee scent. Long lasting.

Henri et Victoria - Cognac & Cuban Cigars. The scent is deliciously self described.

Don't get me started on razors, blades, brushes, etc. I have a sickness to be sure!

LOL.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:48 AM   #12
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

I’m a big fan of Jack Black products. I’ve been using the beard lube for shaving for the past few years and can’t go back to anything else.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:48 AM   #13
Phrank

Watch: ♕
Personally, the best shaving soap ever made is Martin De Candre, Fougere and the Original(which is Lavender) - hand made in France, simply the best IMO.

I'd echo others and say sharing the Premier spot would be Castle Forbes Lavender, superb.

Here's a Top Ten list for some suggestions:

Martin de Candre, Castle Forbes, XPEC, Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge or 88, Truefitt & Hill, Mitchell's Wool Fat, D.R. Harris, Alvarez Gomez, Penhaligon's, Klar Seifen(Wow!), PannaCrema soaps (superb).

Pic of a great shave with The Fat (Mitchell's Wool Fat), stellar soap from an old recipe (think over 100 years old), the lanolin in the soap leaves the face wonderfully clean and moisturized.

edit: @cruise_bone - "Saponificio Varesino", agreed, how could I forget, there are so many, superb selection....

Enjoy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOTD-WB98ADMMWF0150524-2.jpg (90.3 KB, 279 views)
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:50 AM   #14
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

I have an extremely dark, coarse, and fast growing beard. I shave in both directions only to have a "5 o'clock shadow" before lunch. It's just the nature of my face. Best upgrade I ever made was Cremo Cream, hands down. Blade makes little difference for me.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:59 AM   #15
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
Personally, the best shaving soap ever made is Martin De Candre, Fougere and the Original(which is Lavender) - hand made in France, simply the best IMO.

I'd echo others and say sharing the Premier spot would be Castle Forbes Lavender, superb.

Here's a Top Ten list for some suggestions:

Martin de Candre, Castle Forbes, XPEC, Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge or 88, Truefitt & Hill, Mitchell's Wool Fat, D.R. Harris, Alvarez Gomez, Penhaligon's, Klar Seifen(Wow!), PannaCrema soaps (superb).

Pic of a great shave with The Fat (Mitchell's Wool Fat), stellar soap from an old recipe (think over 100 years old), the lanolin in the soap leaves the face wonderfully clean and moisturized.

edit: @cruise_bone - "Saponificio Varesino", agreed, how could I forget, there are so many, superb selection....

Enjoy...
MdC and Castle Forbes are the two remaining big names I don't yet have.
I have the Czech & Speake 88 in the regular size and the small travel aluminum case, which is really cool. Works great but not my favorite scent.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 12:05 PM   #16
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Vichy sensibaum for aftershave. My face used to break out all the time but the sensibaum stuff has really helped and it’s not that expensive
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 01:57 PM   #17
josephvman
Banned

I've been DE shaving for around 11 years. I've tried lots of different soaps and aftershaves, but I just can't find anything I like better than Cella soap and balm. It's a soft tallow soap, almost like putty. It's incredibly cheap if you buy it in the big bricks, $32 for 1 kilo! That lasts me almost three years!
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 09:06 PM   #18
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Have a look at Geo F Trumper. If you are ever in London, get a shave in their Mayfair shop (Curzon St) or the one on Jermayne St.

https://www.trumpers.com

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:23 PM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Mach3 and Nivea sensitive skin crime here

I found shaving in the shower at the end of my shower works best for me. The hotter the skin the better the result for me
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:44 PM   #20
Brew
"TRF" Member

I just enjoyed some GF Trumper Spanish Leather shaving cream (had me humming Dylan), Clubman Special Reserve AS, and YSL Leather Oud cologne. Strapped on a DJ, and I'm READY!
Old 14 December 2018, 12:55 AM   #21
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Have a look at Geo F Trumper. If you are ever in London, get a shave in their Mayfair shop (Curzon St) or the one on Jermayne St.

https://www.trumpers.com
I got to experience Trumpers several times while in London; it was something every man should do even once in their lifetime. Pampered, to say the least!
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 04:20 AM   #22
George Burdell

A Simpson Chubby brush with one of the following soaps:

Tabac
L'Occitane Cade
Mitchell's Wool Fat

All solid.
George Burdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 04:23 AM   #23
Phrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Burdell View Post
A Simpson Chubby brush with one of the following soaps:

Tabac
L'Occitane Cade
Mitchell's Wool Fat

All solid.
Tabac, of course, awesome German soap, has a polarizing scent, but is absolutely Top Tier - great add!
Old 14 December 2018, 04:51 AM   #24
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I'm enjoying all of your responses. I think it's great that one can turn what can be seen as a mundane, daily task into a hobby. We might as well enjoy shaving, and thankfully there are an abundance of creams, soaps, razors and after-shave products to try out, collect and compare.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 05:09 AM   #25
uracowman
"TRF" Member

my kind of conversation....

Just as a frame of reference here are the razors I known in order of aggressiveness: Edwin Jagger DE89, Merkur 37C, Merkur Futur, Muhle R41.

The R41 and Futur are my two preferred razors but for different reasons. The R41 is probably the most aggressive razor on the market and is super efficient but the Futur has incredibly audible. If you are an ASMR person like me, it's a must own piece of hardware.

Around aftershaves, I am unbiased. I've used a few and other than small and the slickness of the way your face feels afterwards, there really isn't a differentiation for me that is worth a premium. A lot of seasoned shavers recommend Nivea and people rag on them since it's a national brand. After a few years of shaving, I can see why it's recommended.

Around creams and soaps, every one I have used is a great performer. Don't buy the hype around creams vs soaps and whether one lathers better than the other unless it's a really bad product to begin with. With that being said though, I will say the thickest lather I've created is using Stirling Soap Company products.

Soon to come: AP 26401 RG, AP 15202OR, Patek 3940G
uracowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 06:47 AM   #26
Phrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I'm enjoying all of your responses. I think it's great that one can turn what can be seen as a mundane, daily task into a hobby. We might as well enjoy shaving, and thankfully there are an abundance of creams, soaps, razors and after-shave products to try out, collect and compare.
Well said, for me about 7 years ago, I tried to alter my attitude about my life.

I wanted to stop viewing my life as an ongoing "task list", always ticking boxes, mind always on "what's next" rather than the here and now. Mind always on the "next meeting"...blah, blah,blah.

So I started making some changes, and one little change was to use my daily shave as a way to start the day (or end the day depending on day's events), to take a breath, slow down, and decide to be active and experience what I did every day, in other words to change "tasks" to "experiences", and be more focused on what was in front of me.

Improved my mind set, taught me to listen more, was better focused at work, and enjoyed myself much more, and was surprised at how much the quality of my work improved, relations with others, and my stress levels went way down as well.

One small change of many I did, but it's a nice way to start the day, think about what's ahead, and reminds me to be patient, as with all things - it takes time, skill and patience to learn to use a straight razor - as with all things in life, patience, practice, and willingness are positive traits to develop. And it was fun to learn a new skill....

My two cents, others mileage may vary....
Old 14 December 2018, 08:03 AM   #27
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

🔪

Wusthof Steak knife and olive oil in a hot shower. Works like a champ
Old 14 December 2018, 08:16 AM   #28
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanAdian View Post
I use Fendrihan , being in Canada. I have tried a bunch of creams and lotions and have stuck with Taylor of Old Bond sandlewood cream and aftershave. Baxter of California is also good. I use a feather razor.
This was my first and still my favourite to date.
Old 14 December 2018, 08:37 AM   #29
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Mach3 and Nivea sensitive skin crime here

I found shaving in the shower at the end of my shower works best for me. The hotter the skin the better the result for me

+1 on all 3 counts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 10:33 AM   #30
HobokenRolex
2024 Pledge Member

I started using Cremo based on another thread here a few weeks ago. Ordered a few tubes on Amazon and have been very happy with it. For blades, I use Harry’s mail-order. They are pretty good and cheaper than buying replacements at a store.
HobokenRolex is offline   Reply With Quote