The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 November 2018, 12:33 PM   #1
SconnieBT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega 2504.52
Do birth year watches even matter?

I bought my first Rolex about 4 months ago. A 16570 Z serial Polar explorer 2 at the age of 30. As much joy as this watch gives me, I'm always on the lookout for which watch should come next. I have always had a dream of buying a birth year watch, and as i just turned 31, 1987 is the year i'm after.

The funny thing is, when i think of buying a birth year watch, the only brand that i even consider is Rolex. First off, why is that? Has Rolex's giant marketing budget somehow poisoned my mind? Second off, i hate the limitations that puts on me. Because basically that commits me to a Submariner, Datejust or GMT Master. I exclude the Daytona and Explorer because of price point first and foremost, and secondly i have a 36mm Omega Railmaster that i absolutely love and will never leave my collection, so the explorer (although i love the 1016) is too similar.

So i have this image of a 1987 Rolex on my wrist, but with the current vintage Rolex market getting out of control, I wonder if this is worth it?? Now i understand that 1987 isn't exactly vintage, but prices are only creeping north. It makes me think if finding another watch from 1987 from a different brand would be more logical? Or should I toss the birth year watch idea aside and buy something modern that i just love? As watch enthusiasts, i feel we have a tendency to overthink these things.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic. What other 1987 watch alternatives can you give me? Talk me into or out of the birth year watch.
SconnieBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 12:38 PM   #2
JacksonStone
Banned

It only matters if you think it does. Since it's your birth year, that won't affect collectability to anyone else, except those who were born the same year who themselves are interested in a birth-year watch. However, if it's something you really want, then that's what matters.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 12:43 PM   #3
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Not to me. I like new not vintage watches.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 12:46 PM   #4
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

I prefer to make my own history with a new piece...
I am just not attracted to the vintage models with lighter bracelets...and various maintenance issues...

I do get that some people like them..different strokes for different folks...

only you can decide...
Old 10 November 2018, 12:48 PM   #5
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

I prefer new over vintage as well. That said, if I were to buy vintage, I think I could get behind a birth year watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 November 2018, 12:49 PM   #6
Speed
"TRF" Member

No
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 12:51 PM   #7
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Not to me. Why would I buy an old watch, which is one of thousands produced, with someone else’s history? What’s special about that?It’s not like I was the only person born that year either. Anyhow to each their own. If you think it’s cool nothing wrong with that. My opinion only.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 12:52 PM   #8
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

I bought a 116600 with papers dated 2017... the year my son was born. I plan to make my own stories with that as I can’t justify a 1982 Daytona :) one day he might receive the watch but I’m not planning on giving it up for a loooong time...

That said I am sorely tempted by a birth year watch for myself at some point too.
Old 10 November 2018, 12:57 PM   #9
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i could get behind getting something like a day date from the 80s. otherwise new > vintage
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 12:58 PM   #10
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Only if they are significant for other reason. I was born in '52 and nothing significant was introduced that year. '53 saw the Submariner first introduced iirc.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 01:06 PM   #11
tmmii
"TRF" Member

Born in 87 also and no desire to own a sub that old from who knows how many owners. My month old will be with me for all of my stories from its day one. (Jaysus my shrink would love to hear that whentalking about narcissism 😂)
tmmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 01:08 PM   #12
zaratsu
"TRF" Member

I won't hold back. I think the birth year watch is just another reason for somebody to buy an old and (more than likely) overpriced watch.
Putting sentimental value into a watch with someone else's history and paying through the nose for the privilege just seems absurd to me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
zaratsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 01:08 PM   #13
marcotagudelo
"TRF" Member

I liked the idea but it gets finiki with vintage
marcotagudelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 01:15 PM   #14
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcotagudelo View Post
I liked the idea but it gets finiki with vintage
This is what has put me off so far... as well as the overpriced sentimental part
Old 10 November 2018, 01:36 PM   #15
Golf11
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Only if they are significant for other reason. I was born in '52 and nothing significant was introduced that year. '53 saw the Submariner first introduced iirc.
'53 saw the Explorer released -- the year after it ascended Everest -- Elizabeth II coronation was in June of 53 as well. I'd say those are two big things!
Golf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 01:39 PM   #16
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I'd personally toss the idea aside from a modern piece that you'd love just as much if not more. (Definitely do that if you love a modern watch more).

That said, a 1987 Pepsi GMT would be pretty cool.
Chadridv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 01:49 PM   #17
SconnieBT
"TRF" Member

I'm a 6.5 inch wrist guy, and the modern piece I'm considering is the Tudor BB58. It would be the only dive watch in my collection (vs the gmt which I already have the gmt function on my Explorer2) and the size just sings to a modest wrist guy like myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
I'd personally toss the idea aside from a modern piece that you'd love just as much if not more. (Definitely do that if you love a modern watch more).

That said, a 1987 Pepsi GMT would be pretty cool.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 10 November 2018, 01:50 PM   #18
exador
Banned

An ‘87 birth year watch is cheap, cheap, cheap!

Try being born in ‘62
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 01:51 PM   #19
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf11 View Post
'53 saw the Explorer released -- the year after it ascended Everest -- Elizabeth II coronation was in June of 53 as well. I'd say those are two big things!
Explorer didn't ascend Everest, the OP did. Hillary reached the summit in May, '53.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 01:54 PM   #20
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Sounds juvenile and simple, but my opinion is it matters to those who have interest in them. That's it. If it doesn't matter, then pass. I'd recommend not getting one if you need to be talked into it. I understand the nostalgia aspect of wanting a birth year Sub or whichever make/model I choose, but I could also see that nostalgia wearing off real quick. Not my thing. The '71 Rolex I'd like is around $25k, but there are many other watches I'd rather have than that '71 just to have a birth year watch. Shoot, I'd rather have a '51 chop top merc with ghost flames or a '77 Trans Am than that '71. Just me though.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 01:57 PM   #21
SconnieBT
"TRF" Member

The world of relativity. Haha. But by that measure, you shoulda bought your 62 in the early 90s. Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
An ‘87 birth year watch is cheap, cheap, cheap!

Try being born in ‘62
Old 10 November 2018, 01:58 PM   #22
WatchingLA
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieBT View Post
I bought my first Rolex about 4 months ago. A 16570 Z serial Polar explorer 2 at the age of 30. As much joy as this watch gives me, I'm always on the lookout for which watch should come next. I have always had a dream of buying a birth year watch, and as i just turned 31, 1987 is the year i'm after.

The funny thing is, when i think of buying a birth year watch, the only brand that i even consider is Rolex. First off, why is that? Has Rolex's giant marketing budget somehow poisoned my mind? Second off, i hate the limitations that puts on me. Because basically that commits me to a Submariner, Datejust or GMT Master. I exclude the Daytona and Explorer because of price point first and foremost, and secondly i have a 36mm Omega Railmaster that i absolutely love and will never leave my collection, so the explorer (although i love the 1016) is too similar.

So i have this image of a 1987 Rolex on my wrist, but with the current vintage Rolex market getting out of control, I wonder if this is worth it?? Now i understand that 1987 isn't exactly vintage, but prices are only creeping north. It makes me think if finding another watch from 1987 from a different brand would be more logical? Or should I toss the birth year watch idea aside and buy something modern that i just love? As watch enthusiasts, i feel we have a tendency to overthink these things.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic. What other 1987 watch alternatives can you give me? Talk me into or out of the birth year watch.

I go back and forth on if a birth year is cool or more. And as a Rolex would essentially it would be a DJ I agree. But I’m curious why you think it has to be Rolex?

WatchingLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 02:03 PM   #23
Vvillie
"TRF" Member

My son will be born next year and I plan to get a watch to commemorate the occasion. One day It will be his ‘ birth year watch’ to commemorate a major milestone in his life.
Vvillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 02:05 PM   #24
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vvillie View Post
My son will be born next year and I plan to get a watch to commemorate the occasion. One day It will be his ‘ birth year watch’ to commemorate a major milestone in his life.

Now that's cool. That's something I could see doing. Well done.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 02:08 PM   #25
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I think they’re cool.

Even though the ages are approximations.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 02:22 PM   #26
SconnieBT
"TRF" Member

This is another concern.... The serial numbers only give you an idea of the year... Do you go off the warrant paper? You can't ever know 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I think they’re cool.

Even though the ages are approximations.
Old 10 November 2018, 02:27 PM   #27
opaline460
"TRF" Member

Silly idea
opaline460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 02:28 PM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I loved the idea of owning a birth year watch. Then I realized in my case it meant tying up a lot of funds in something that always felt a bit like wearing a museum piece.

Instead, I decided to buy modern and celebrate my birth year 67 with the anniversary SD43. I’m much happier wearing it than the 67 5513.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 02:34 PM   #29
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I’m a fan of the birthyear Rolex. I was born in 86 and haven’t quite found what i am after yet. I imagine it will be a sub but i haven’t looked too hard yet. I will buy it within the next year or two. Vintage prices move very quickly, it would be a shame to get in a position where the purchase doesn’t make sense financially.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 03:14 PM   #30
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I like vintage, but I'm not in a hurry to acquire a 1949 Rolex.

I have watches older than that and watches that were produced in that era, but I can't date any of them that accurately.

In fact, no one can. The best you can do is to get one that has a serial number in a range that suggests that it could have been assembled in that year--approximately.

Factor all the variables together and you get a goal that is not all that worthy of my efforts.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote