The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 May 2024, 01:45 PM   #1
stev0718
"TRF" Member

Gronefeld or Armin Strom or other independent

Hi,

I’m looking to add an independent to my collection, and have been deciding between gronefeld principia or armin strom tribute 1. Currently, I’m looking at movement finishing, as well as a smaller sized watch. Does anyone have experience with either of those, or any other suggestions below 40k? Thanks!
stev0718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 02:25 PM   #2
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I'm in Vancouver too and have an Armin Strom Resonance Mirrored Force en route. Happy to meet up if you'd like to see it? It should be here in August. I have a few friends with Armin Stroms too in Vancouver, a few of us are meeting this Wednesday.

Used to have a Principia btw.

Personally I would go with Armin Strom because I like their style of finishing more, the aesthetic is more interesting, and customization options are available.

They are both about the same quality wise. Gronefeld is a very somber dress watch though VS something like an Armin Strom Gravity Equal Force...which is very modern and sporty by comparison.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 02:31 PM   #3
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
IMG_0918.jpeg

I picked up my Principia a few weeks ago. I’m still in the honeymoon phase but I love it. The strap is extremely comfortable and the finishing is sublime. Although it wasn’t cheap I think it’s very fair for what it is. But then again ask me again in a few months and maybe my opinion will change lol.

I’ve never owned an Armin Storm but I’m a fan of the brand and I think it’s a great watch as well.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 02:57 PM   #4
stev0718
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately, I'm no longer in Vancouver, but thanks for the offer!

I also prefer smaller watches and think the Gronefeld is the largest I can comfortably wear though, that's why I was more focused on the Tribute 1 for the Armin Strom. My current largest watch is only 39mm (46-48mm lug to lug) for the fpj cb. Yeah, I was thinking the Armin Strom could be a bit more casual compared to the Gronefeld. Have you tried more casual straps with the Gronefeld, and could it be worn more casually?

Because of the smaller size I prefer, I couldn't find too many other independents with this level of finishing, so would definitely welcome other recommendations too!
Old 7 May 2024, 05:41 PM   #5
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

A Laurent Ferrier Classic, while nominally 40mm, will wear smaller. Excellent finishing.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 04:52 AM   #6
stev0718
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalGreubel View Post
Attachment 1434038

I picked up my Principia a few weeks ago. I’m still in the honeymoon phase but I love it. The strap is extremely comfortable and the finishing is sublime. Although it wasn’t cheap I think it’s very fair for what it is. But then again ask me again in a few months and maybe my opinion will change lol.

I’ve never owned an Armin Storm but I’m a fan of the brand and I think it’s a great watch as well.
Also, if you wouldn't mind me asking, what is your wrist size? I'm somewhat worried it'll be a bit too large for me. Thanks!
Old 8 May 2024, 04:58 AM   #7
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
Garrick ? Worth a look …

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 05:13 AM   #8
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nice, FYI the buffalo straps are made by LIC in belgium. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out who made them and someone finally told me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenshih1997 View Post
Unfortunately, I'm no longer in Vancouver, but thanks for the offer!

I also prefer smaller watches and think the Gronefeld is the largest I can comfortably wear though, that's why I was more focused on the Tribute 1 for the Armin Strom. My current largest watch is only 39mm (46-48mm lug to lug) for the fpj cb. Yeah, I was thinking the Armin Strom could be a bit more casual compared to the Gronefeld. Have you tried more casual straps with the Gronefeld, and could it be worn more casually?

Because of the smaller size I prefer, I couldn't find too many other independents with this level of finishing, so would definitely welcome other recommendations too!
NP.

The gronefeld can be dressed down no problem for sure. I tried it on a few straps and all looked good on it. I just meant moreso that the Armin Strom can't really be dressed up too much if that is an issue. For personally, not really a problem or something I care about. Even in formal business settings, it's never been an issue.

Tribute1 is a lot of bang for buck, but IMO I'd rather save a bit and buy a used Gravity Equal Force. YMMV of course.
Old 8 May 2024, 08:58 AM   #9
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenshih1997 View Post
Also, if you wouldn't mind me asking, what is your wrist size? I'm somewhat worried it'll be a bit too large for me. Thanks!
My wrist is a little bigger than 6 1/2. But I feel like I always measure it wrong lol. The watch is very close to being too big for me but I don’t mind.
Old 8 May 2024, 09:00 AM   #10
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Nice, FYI the buffalo straps are made by LIC in belgium. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out who made them and someone finally told me.
Ahh I was wondering who made the straps. I love the cork inlay. Feels wonderful.
Old 8 May 2024, 10:01 AM   #11
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Tribute 1 is cool and also half the price. I love my GEF, ordered it with a custom baseplate and engraving on the plaque on the movement. Customization prices have gone up and doing too many makes the price go up rapidly. Both are fairly casual. I'd say the principia is nicer but armin is like 99% In house and can do all kinds of neat stuff. Went to a dinner with Serge Michel and Jean Marc Bories, even my wife commented that hard not to want to buy watches from these guys, super nice. I plan on ordering a custom tribute maybe next year.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 03:42 PM   #12
agriculture&watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss Made
Quote:
Attachment 1434038

Looks great on you. The tone of the dial and strap is very special looking
Old 8 May 2024, 05:24 PM   #13
stev0718
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My wrist is a little bigger than 6 1/2. But I feel like I always measure it wrong lol. The watch is very close to being too big for me but I don’t mind.
It looks good on you! I have a similar sized wrist, maybe a bit smaller at 6.5 in exactly. So good to know how it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Tribute 1 is cool and also half the price. I love my GEF, ordered it with a custom baseplate and engraving on the plaque on the movement. Customization prices have gone up and doing too many makes the price go up rapidly. Both are fairly casual. I'd say the principia is nicer but armin is like 99% In house and can do all kinds of neat stuff. Went to a dinner with Serge Michel and Jean Marc Bories, even my wife commented that hard not to want to buy watches from these guys, super nice. I plan on ordering a custom tribute maybe next year.
Yeah the tribute 1 is definitely less expensive. Not sure how secondary holds up for Armin Strom, but good to know both gronefeld and armin strom have similar movement finishing. I like the interior angles on the armin strom, not sure if the gronefeld has those, but the stainless steel bridges are amazing too. What was your wait time for the custom GEF?
Old 8 May 2024, 11:04 PM   #14
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agriculture&watches View Post
Looks great on you. The tone of the dial and strap is very special looking
Thanks! :)
Old 9 May 2024, 06:26 AM   #15
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Neither are my cup of tea. I like and respect the watches, just not something I would personally wear.

That aside, I love this thread. Great comparison of two excellent time pieces. And an interesting pair. Beats the hell of another Patek v Lange or Rolex v Omega thread. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
charger_vital is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 09:37 AM   #16
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stev0718 View Post
It looks good on you! I have a similar sized wrist, maybe a bit smaller at 6.5 in exactly. So good to know how it looks.

Yeah the tribute 1 is definitely less expensive. Not sure how secondary holds up for Armin Strom, but good to know both gronefeld and armin strom have similar movement finishing. I like the interior angles on the armin strom, not sure if the gronefeld has those, but the stainless steel bridges are amazing too. What was your wait time for the custom GEF?
The finishing I found nicer on the principia, and like the gronefeld case/lugs better. The armin looks a bit industrial/severe looking, not very elegant but I do like the overall look. I bought it expecting to never be able to recoup any money, but it has a special engraving on the back and my wife would kill me. It's funny, the lack of resale makes me more apt to keep it anyways. I know they're low volume watches but I hardly see any Armin Stroms coming up used, I'd love a resonance at fire sale prices but haven't seen one for cheap. It took about a year, they initially quoted me 6-9 months if I recall.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 10:25 AM   #17
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The finishing I found nicer on the principia, and like the gronefeld case/lugs better. The armin looks a bit industrial/severe looking, not very elegant but I do like the overall look. I bought it expecting to never be able to recoup any money, but it has a special engraving on the back and my wife would kill me. It's funny, the lack of resale makes me more apt to keep it anyways. I know they're low volume watches but I hardly see any Armin Stroms coming up used, I'd love a resonance at fire sale prices but haven't seen one for cheap. It took about a year, they initially quoted me 6-9 months if I recall.
Yeah I was also hoping to find one used but like you said they don’t really pop up.
Old 9 May 2024, 11:33 AM   #18
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Armin Strom is one of those brands that doesn’t seem to have a huge following but as you said they don’t seem to be resold often. The people who buy them like them and keep them. They are really nice watches and I feel like their retail prices make sense.

You can get a pre-owned Principia below retail which is great if you’re looking for a deal.
Old 9 May 2024, 11:56 PM   #19
smalleq
"TRF" Member

That's a strange either/or in my opinion. I've owned my Tribute1 First Edition for almost 2 years now and am exceedingly happy with it. Suitable for my dress watch needs, but usable for a daily wear if I so want. I've recently put it on a Delugs CTS rubber strap and really love wearing it that way. The only reason I would trade it out would be to get one with one of the Comblemine dials. I think the size is fantastic and the finishing is about as good as it gets in this price range.

I really dig the Principia as well, but those feel like a completely different watch desires...more classical design with haute horologie movement finishing.

smalleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 04:34 AM   #20
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve owned an AS and GF. The GF felt way more special to me and it was much more money so not sure these are competitors. The AS too chunky for true dress. It’s more all rounder but then again with no waterproof. That makes it a bit purposeless to me. The one above is a bit smaller and thinner than what I had. I had gravity EF. This has been mentioned before on here but the chin to engrave is weird to me. Most are bought without an engraving, at least the ones I’ve seen and the AD doesn’t ask if you want it engraved so what’s the point of it. Maybe point of sale bad service, idk.
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote