The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 January 2018, 08:28 AM   #1
matches
"TRF" Member

Everest band and Rolex Clasp repair

Not sure if this is the right place to post this (am sure this OP will get moved if not!). I'm looking to buy an Everest watch strap band for a GMT Master II 16710. I like the black look of the rubber watch strap - feels sporty and a good alternative to the steel bracelet when sports arise, or summer (finally) comes.

Question I had was with regards to the clasp which is used for this band. I'm looking to purchase a Rolex Clasp and have found one available in London (UK here) on ebay but this is advertised as "broken in the middle" according to the salesperson. Apparently the clasp was used for an Explorer before.

Here's a link to the ebay page: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-Dep...YAAOSwbHZaWLKL

A few questions I had which I was hoping for advice on:
1) How easy is it to fix such a clasp?
2) Is it worthwhile purchasing this clasp and trying to get this repaired so I can use with my everest band?

Thanks!

Last edited by matches; 15 January 2018 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: information addition
matches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 09:12 AM   #2
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I thought these aftermarket bands such as Everest & Rubber B etc used the clasp off the original bracelet?
Why do you need to buy another?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 02:32 AM   #3
crisc416
"TRF" Member

Rubber B is the bomb

I prefer Rubber B strap BY FAR to everest. Much more luxurious product. RB is the original, and it says Swiss Made on the strap (not just on the packaging). :thumbs: I have mine on the clasp model since about a year. Gives the watch a newer look. But next time I'll try the tang buckle version, and store the old clasp to get an even more new feeling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moncler and gmt.jpg (78.6 KB, 288 views)
crisc416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 07:28 AM   #4
matches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
I thought these aftermarket bands such as Everest & Rubber B etc used the clasp off the original bracelet?
Why do you need to buy another?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Everest say clasp is not included on their website. Hence need to source my own - pref separate to one i currently have on my original bracelet
Old 16 January 2018, 07:29 AM   #5
matches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisc416 View Post
I prefer Rubber B strap BY FAR to everest. Much more luxurious product. RB is the original, and it says Swiss Made on the strap (not just on the packaging). :thumbs: I have mine on the clasp model since about a year. Gives the watch a newer look. But next time I'll try the tang buckle version, and store the old clasp to get an even more new feeling.
Looks nice!

How did you fit the clasp to it? Did you buy a separate one?
Old 16 January 2018, 07:37 AM   #6
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
think that clasp is one id be passing on.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 07:45 AM   #7
davidif
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisc416 View Post

I have both an Everest which I purchased and a RubberB which came with a used Explorer11. In my opinion the Everest feels to be of a far higher quality with the RubberB feeling harder and less flexible than the Everest. Also I fail to see the relevance of the whole 'Swiss Made' on the strap thing. I understand that Everest are also Swiss Made.
Old 16 January 2018, 07:54 AM   #8
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
You should not need an additional clasp. Everest and Rubber B should be designed to fit your original clasp. Should be a couple screws? Should take 5 min to swap out.

I have an Oysterflex for my Sub and I had a spare clasp. Mainly for a fit reason, but also I thought would be easier when I wanted to swap out. Well I got Oysterflex piece that was a size smaller so no longer a fit issue. I sold my spare clasp as it really only saves 2 min for swapping out.
hbombkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:17 AM   #9
matches
"TRF" Member

I didnt realise it was that easy to remove the clasp from the bracelet. Any good links on how best to do so?

I also kinda liked the idea of having a separate bracelet ready to roll without the hassle of changing/swapping. Probably too fussy!
Old 16 January 2018, 08:17 AM   #10
matches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidif View Post
I have both an Everest which I purchased and a RubberB which came with a used Explorer11. In my opinion the Everest feels to be of a far higher quality with the RubberB feeling harder and less flexible than the Everest. Also I fail to see the relevance of the whole 'Swiss Made' on the strap thing. I understand that Everest are also Swiss Made.
Thanks! That was going to be my next question...
Old 17 January 2018, 07:14 AM   #11
alex_moreno111
"TRF" Member

Highly disagree, I also own both. Everest feels more like silicone probably thats why it feels so flexible. The rubber b feels more secure. Also there is much relevance on "Swiss Made" why would you choose not to say where your product is made? I think that's the big difference between both brands. We know where rubber b makes their straps, its stamped on their rubber. Can't say the same about Everest rubber straps, just look inside both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidif View Post
alex_moreno111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 07:23 AM   #12
Yuri.Popov
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner C
+1 - I don't understand why you wouldn't stamp your product especially when dealing with a high end watch like Rolex. I find confusing the term Swiss Rubber. Is there such thing? does anyone have better knowledge on this? This was a key factor when I chose between both companies. I'm very happy with Rubber B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_moreno111 View Post
Highly disagree, I also own both. Everest feels more like silicone probably thats why it feels so flexible. The rubber b feels more secure. Also there is much relevance on "Swiss Made" why would you choose not to say where your product is made? I think that's the big difference between both brands. We know where rubber b makes their straps, its stamped on their rubber. Can't say the same about Everest rubber straps, just look inside both.
Yuri.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 08:11 AM   #13
AndyWright
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deepsea
Icon6 all about taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by matches View Post
Thanks! That was going to be my next question...
I think you have two types of customers. Rubber B genres are going for the luxury brand item and Everest Band customers clearly have no taste. There's truly something for everyone!
AndyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 08:17 AM   #14
ML1979
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
If you don't want 2 clasps and want to keep your original bracelet in tact and ready to swap you could always just get the everest strap with the tang buckle. I too would pass on the broken clasp.
ML1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 06:50 PM   #15
matches
"TRF" Member

Ok thanks, interesting discussion. Seems most people here enjoy Rubber B over Everest.

As re clasp, I still prefer the odea of having a spare second clasp I fit to the strap. Any ideas where to hunt for one from?