The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 14 January 2018, 05:11 AM   #1
farscott
"TRF" Member

Oysterquartz Service Going Forward

From what I have read, Oysterquartz production ended around 2001 or about seventeen years ago. While the movement has a lot of mechanical parts that are common with other movements, the printed circuit board assembly (PCBA) is unique to this series of timepieces. In addition, European requirements since 2001 drove changes to eliminate lead in the environment, so there is some question about the availability of the PCBA going forward.

Has Rolex provided any information on how long spare PCBAs will be available? Can the PCBA be replaced by anyone outside of the RSC? In other words, can a watchmaker with a Rolex parts account order the PCBA? I am considering purchasing one, but I want to have a watch that keeps time, not something that shows the correct time twice per day.
Old 14 January 2018, 05:17 AM   #2
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
I’d be nervous about long term repairs on anything electronic. I doubt it’s a 50 year watch at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 14 January 2018, 05:19 AM   #3
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
What goes bad on the printed circuit? Unless there is battery leakage, will this part ever need replacement?
Old 14 January 2018, 05:34 AM   #4
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
What goes bad on the printed circuit? Unless there is battery leakage, will this part ever need replacement?
They do need replacing and it is about $900 so not cheap.
Old 14 January 2018, 05:48 AM   #5
farscott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are several failure modes, including the following:

1) Cracked components and solder joints from vibration, impact, and temperature cycling
2) Thermal stress causing the component lifetime to be lessened
3) Crystal oscillator failure due to mechanical stress
4) Dendrite growth
5) Dielectric breakdown

Being able to service or repair the PCBA is a necessity for the longevity of the Oysterquartz.
Old 14 January 2018, 05:56 AM   #6
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by farscott View Post
There are several failure modes, including the following:

1) Cracked components and solder joints from vibration, impact, and temperature cycling
2) Thermal stress causing the component lifetime to be lessened
3) Crystal oscillator failure due to mechanical stress
4) Dendrite growth
5) Dielectric breakdown

Being able to service or repair the PCBA is a necessity for the longevity of the Oysterquartz.
Bingo. Just ask anyone who is an electronics hobbyist. Solder is very brittle and temperature variations can reek havoc with certain components (i.e. germanium diodes/transistors etc.).

While akin to comparing apples with oranges, I've just had the electrolytic capacitors replaced on my late 60's era McIntosh pre-amp and Dynaco 70 + re-tubing with NOS valves. Though we're talking chassis assembly (and point-to-point wiring) vs PCB, not cheap by any means.
Old 14 January 2018, 08:47 AM   #7
Litflynt912
"TRF" Member

I've gone through my share of OQ over the years (eyeing a 1982 17013 now) and this always remains in the back of my mind.
Rolex always says 25 years is the backlog of serviceable parts.
So we are talking 2026ish until they are unable to service an OQ. With that being said, if only ~25,000 were ever produced and they made replacement parts to repair all 20K then safe to say we might be in the 2030's before there is an actual part shortage.
Still - for a timepiece, kinda sucks that without some engineering workaround or breakthrough servicing the PCBA, this is not a generational watch.

Still one of my favorites and hey, if it lasts YOUR lifetime, that's what matters!
Old 14 January 2018, 06:54 PM   #8
V10K
"TRF" Member

I believe I read online they have 100k movements for spare parts. I wouldn't be too worried about serviceability. Try to find the right one for you, personally I am very fond of white roman dials which are pretty rare.
Old 15 January 2018, 04:34 AM   #9
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
As a manufacturer I don’t think they would leave the OQ generation behind. I’m pretty sure Rolex is proud with what it accomplished in quartz technology. I just recently had a 90’s Piaget serviced (quartz) - they actually installed a new movement to save the watch as the previous movement had failed.

They call themselves manufacture for a reason.
Old 15 January 2018, 07:08 AM   #10
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Bingo. Just ask anyone who is an electronics hobbyist. Solder is very brittle and temperature variations can reek havoc with certain components (i.e. germanium diodes/transistors etc.).

While akin to comparing apples with oranges, I've just had the electrolytic capacitors replaced on my late 60's era McIntosh pre-amp and Dynaco 70 + re-tubing with NOS valves. Though we're talking chassis assembly (and point-to-point wiring) vs PCB, not cheap by any means.
I have a transistor radio from the 60’s that works fine. Age is not a guarantee of failure. Design and build quality play a major role.

Does anyone know how often the part fails in these watches?
Old 15 January 2018, 12:06 PM   #11
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Oysterquartz Service Going Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by haven_seeker View Post
As a manufacturer I don’t think they would leave the OQ generation behind. I’m pretty sure Rolex is proud with what it accomplished in quartz technology.
They call themselves manufacture for a reason.

This is all true, but Rolex doesn’t guarantee service and parts availability for older models. Finding an Indy to make a replacement gear is much easier than finding someone to create a replacement PCB/quartz module.

May not be an issue, but 20 years from now it could become an interesting paperweight without parts or a donor movement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 15 January 2018, 12:39 PM   #12
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
Finding an Indy to make a replacement gear is much easier than finding someone to create a replacement PCB/quartz module.
Finding a someone to repop the electronics...

...is probably easier than getting you fellas to accept NONFACTORY 3RDPARTY REPLACEMENT PARTS in your Swiss watch

Franken OQ! Or fake OQ?!

When original parts run out, will you allow foreign bits to get it back working or would you rather just retire the unit to eternal drawer rest?
Old 16 January 2018, 08:08 AM   #13
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Yo. I'm an Oyster Quartz fan (as well as OP). I sent in an OQ, 17013, to RWSC in Dallas back in late 2015. It needed a complete overhaul due to water leak. All electronics, hands, crown and tube, crystal. I had to swap the original dial ( tapestry) for one of the only four different, new, color dials stocked any more. W,G,B,Bl. Leaking occurs only if a dead battery is left in the case for extended period. Nothing ages on a circuit board. I wear a 19019 WG DD as a daily and it is all original from 1979-80. Accuracy, approximately + 1 second per month.
Old 16 January 2018, 03:07 PM   #14
V10K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
Yo. I'm an Oyster Quartz fan (as well as OP). I sent in an OQ, 17013, to RWSC in Dallas back in late 2015. It needed a complete overhaul due to water leak. All electronics, hands, crown and tube, crystal. I had to swap the original dial ( tapestry) for one of the only four different, new, color dials stocked any more. W,G,B,Bl. Leaking occurs only if a dead battery is left in the case for extended period. Nothing ages on a circuit board. I wear a 19019 WG DD as a daily and it is all original from 1979-80. Accuracy, approximately + 1 second per month.
Can you elaborate W,G,B,Bl? Are the white roman dials available? They had 2 variations-black indices (Buckley) and rhodium plated I believe? It was the white roman dials that made me fall in love with the OQ. The regular dials were too old and vintage looking to me.
Old 17 January 2018, 05:35 AM   #15
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Dial availability

When I sent my 17013, OQ two-tone to Dallas, They advised me that the only dial colors available now are; White, gold, blue and black. I choose the blue because it compliments the gold of the watch.
Old 17 January 2018, 06:30 AM   #16
wm82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
When I sent my 17013, OQ two-tone to Dallas, They advised me that the only dial colors available now are; White, gold, blue and black. I choose the blue because it compliments the gold of the watch.
That's odd, from Rolex in Geneva there are 7 dials still available to order:

Champagne, Silver, Blue, Black, White w. gold romans, Champagne with diamond index, Slate Jubilee with diamond index.

Maybe they just wanted to get rid of what they had in stock firstly... :)

I wouldnt worry about longevity yet, it was in production until 2007 and remember the Day-Date share the PCB, which is a prestige model for them...

They will discontinue parts for the 15XX and 12XX movements first, no doubt.
Old 17 January 2018, 07:05 AM   #17
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
anyone who owns a OQ today, will have no issues getting parts in their lifetime. they were last retailed in 2001 - 2002. in rolexeses world, that was yesterday.
Old 17 January 2018, 07:36 AM   #18
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
anyone who owns a OQ today, will have no issues getting parts in their lifetime. they were last retailed in 2001 - 2002. in rolexeses world, that was yesterday.

I think their cut-off is 25 years. That’s only 8-9 years from now.
Old 17 January 2018, 08:49 AM   #19
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mk2
I was looking at buying an OQ recently, but after researching the OQ more in depth, I am glad the deal fell through. I have been doing a ton of research and they just don't seem to sell very well or hold value. I think there is a stigma to that "tick-tick" that was a clear sign of a knock off back in the earlier days of Rolex replicas.

The angular case, while appealing to some and certainly cutting edge when first introduced, does not have mass appeal today.

I too would be worried that service would be an issue in the future and I wouldn't take that chance on a watch costing $3000 or more.

2016 Explorer 214270 Mk2 - 1996 Submariner 14060* - 1972 Datejust 1601
1972 Oyster Perpetual 1002 - 1978 Oysterquartz 17000
Omega Seamaster 2265.80 - Omega Seamaster 300 166.0324
*RIP PAL 1942-2015
Old 17 January 2018, 08:59 AM   #20
Floorguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
If they don’t sell very well, I My opinion that’s a big + for a buyer. You should be able to get a good deal. And as far as service and parts, ther should be no problem for a respectable watch maker with a Rolex acc. Change the battery when needed and your good to go! I sold mine and I’m sorry I did. Great watch!
Old 17 January 2018, 09:24 AM   #21
V10K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPete View Post
I was looking at buying an OQ recently, but after researching the OQ more in depth, I am glad the deal fell through. I have been doing a ton of research and they just don't seem to sell very well or hold value. I think there is a stigma to that "tick-tick" that was a clear sign of a knock off back in the earlier days of Rolex replicas.

The angular case, while appealing to some and certainly cutting edge when first introduced, does not have mass appeal today.

I too would be worried that service would be an issue in the future and I wouldn't take that chance on a watch costing $3000 or more.
My opinion is to not buy what the masses want. Don't be a black sheep and have your own personality. I bought my OQ not because of what other people think, I bought it because I like it. I own two OQ's and I am not worried about service. It's much cheaper over time than the mechanicals and parts will be available for a long long time.

Personally, I don't own a mechanical Rolex as I don't find them as beautiful as the OQ. The angular design is much more attractive than the typical Rolex bands everyone in the world has. It's too mass market and has lost its exclusive allure. Atleast wearing an OQ I don't need to feel like a tool. I bought a white roman dial as it seemed more modern to me than the typical stick design.

I do like the heft of the 17000 OQ and they feel very robust.
Old 17 January 2018, 09:31 AM   #22
V10K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorguy View Post
If they don’t sell very well, I My opinion that’s a big + for a buyer. You should be able to get a good deal. And as far as service and parts, ther should be no problem for a respectable watch maker with a Rolex acc. Change the battery when needed and your good to go! I sold mine and I’m sorry I did. Great watch!
I wish that were the case but not easy finding a good deal on an OQ in the dial and condition I wanted. If you are not picky on dials you may find one in ok condition for cheap, not mint. If you really love OQ spend the extra $$$ to get the best one.
Old 17 January 2018, 10:01 AM   #23
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V10K View Post
My opinion is to not buy what the masses want. Don't be a black sheep and have your own personality. I bought my OQ not because of what other people think, I bought it because I like it. I own two OQ's and I am not worried about service. It's much cheaper over time than the mechanicals and parts will be available for a long long time.

Personally, I don't own a mechanical Rolex as I don't find them as beautiful as the OQ. The angular design is much more attractive than the typical Rolex bands everyone in the world has. It's too mass market and has lost its exclusive allure. Atleast wearing an OQ I don't need to feel like a tool. I bought a white roman dial as it seemed more modern to me than the typical stick design.

I do like the heft of the 17000 OQ and they feel very robust.
Black sheep? Wouldn't doing the opposite of what "the masses" do make me a black sheep? I haven't heard that term in decades. Probably because it is somewhat indelicate to use it.

I agree they are unique. If they sold well, Rolex would have made a million of them.

So those of us wearing the DJ, SUB, SD, etc. are "tools"? I never knew! LOL.

*RIP PAL 1942-2015
Old 17 January 2018, 07:59 PM   #24
V10K
"TRF" Member

Forgive me, nothing was meant to be insulting. My apology if I came off insensitive.

I was mentioning my thoughts and perceptions but I may be totally off. We all have reasons for being attracted to particular watches but sometimes we get highly influenced by mass appeal or what others think instead of what we truly feel deep inside.

Being an OQ man, I feel its essence is not about what others think but being different and comfortable with who I am. If someone loves their watch from the bottom of their heart I can respect that. For me most Rolex's are soo overdone that they lost their allure and desirability. If 10s of millions of people are wearing exact same datejusts and subs they lose their exclusiveness and appeal to me. The nice thing about OQ is they were a limited run from Rolex and hardly anyone cares for them. My only regret is not buying one back in 2001 brand new and wasting my time with other watches. Also my wild guess is that out of 25k production run that less than 500 pcs with white roman dials which is my thing.

Old 17 January 2018, 08:41 PM   #25
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I am happy to be the black sheep in this instance if it suits.

I bought mine on TRF in unpolished condition, no bracelet wear with box and papers.o

It is a beauty from 1988.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (112.5 KB, 508 views)

Old 17 January 2018, 08:49 PM   #26
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I used to be a big OQ fan, and had a really nice and early 1977 (5.2 mill) 17000 with MKI dial. Sold it, though, and if I get another quartz it'll be a new Grand Seiko with 9f movement, which will go 50 years without a service, and keep much better time, for less money, and be better finished throughout.
Old 17 January 2018, 09:57 PM   #27
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V10K View Post
Forgive me, nothing was meant to be insulting. My apology if I came off insensitive.

I was mentioning my thoughts and perceptions but I may be totally off. We all have reasons for being attracted to particular watches but sometimes we get highly influenced by mass appeal or what others think instead of what we truly feel deep inside.

Being an OQ man, I feel its essence is not about what others think but being different and comfortable with who I am. If someone loves their watch from the bottom of their heart I can respect that. For me most Rolex's are soo overdone that they lost their allure and desirability. If 10s of millions of people are wearing exact same datejusts and subs they lose their exclusiveness and appeal to me. The nice thing about OQ is they were a limited run from Rolex and hardly anyone cares for them. My only regret is not buying one back in 2001 brand new and wasting my time with other watches. Also my wild guess is that out of 25k production run that less than 500 pcs with white roman dials which is my thing.

No worries at all. Figured you were just being passionate.

*RIP PAL 1942-2015
Old 18 January 2018, 01:05 AM   #28
V10K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I used to be a big OQ fan, and had a really nice and early 1977 (5.2 mill) 17000 with MKI dial. Sold it, though, and if I get another quartz it'll be a new Grand Seiko with 9f movement, which will go 50 years without a service, and keep much better time, for less money, and be better finished throughout.
I have tried very hard to fall in love with Grand Seiko but to no avail. What drew me to OQ was the white roman dials. The stick dials felt to bland to me. I have seen a limited run of GS roman dial but it didnt seem attractive to me. The japanese dial is interesting.
Old 18 January 2018, 03:04 AM   #29
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Good points Adam.

But, a 40 years younger Adam could be described the same way. But today's Adam has better stories to share.

Old 18 January 2018, 03:57 AM   #30
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
The issue with leadless solder is to much tin, tin will create "whiskers". These short out circuits, so hopefully rolex made lots of replacements prior to yet another silly law.