The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 21 July 2011, 07:46 AM   #31
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
It is an amazing watch and I love mine. Mine is a silver-faced Mission on a black dive strap. I have gotten many more comments on it than on my Subs.
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 23 July 2011, 11:47 AM   #32
Christiaan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 67' Breitling Navi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyAK View Post
I've had an Emergency for about 4 years now - which is a LONG time for me - I've always been a serious flipper! I'll NEVER part with this one...

I love mine and wear it pretty much daily - especially if I'm flying. I was initially a bit concerned about the yellow face, but it really grew on me quickly - the watch always draws attention!! The country I fly over is unbelievably gorgeous, but pretty brutal and unforgiving - especially in the winter months...

The rumor about the frequency change is true, but not as significant as some are led to believe. The "Emergency" transmits on 121.5, which will still be used for honing into the crash site, and will always be the frequency pilots monitor, while enroute in remote areas. The new ELT's (Emergency Locator Transmitters), transmit on 406, and is a satellite based monitoring system. When the ELT is activated, the satellites receive the signal and notify the center of the crash and GPS location. When the rescue crew/search team arrives to the general area, 121.5 will still be monitored to hone in to the crash, if it's not immediately visible.

If you like the Emergency, then you should go for it...It wears great and is super light-weight. You almost don't even know it's there...I had a DeepSea for a while, and while the Emergency is close to the same size, it wears MUCH smaller than the DeepSea.

The antenna is a completely different issue altogether - This is one watch that I would never take off and hand to someone while drinking heavily When you get the watch, you sign a form which states your responsibility for the transmitter...If I remember correctly the fine in $10,000.00 and Breitling won't replace the transmitter if it's not utilized during a true emergency

I can't remember what the water resistance is...My manual is at the office, so I'll check tomorrow...I think it was decent though...

Here are a few photos of the watch and the Alaska flying environment...

The Glass on that Caravan is sick!!!

Cargo or Pax?

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been and there you will long to return." DaVinci

Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2011, 06:11 PM   #33
SonnyAK
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christiaan View Post
The Glass on that Caravan is sick!!!

Cargo or Pax?
Thanks...It's got the 10pax interior w/the single seats - it's a super versatile airplane, and is perfect for the Alaska flying enviornment! Not to mention, it's a blast to fly too
Old 3 August 2011, 09:09 AM   #34
axxeman01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLRdude View Post
I actually DID buy the Aerospace, and the reason I cannot own the Emergency is perfectly described by you in the latter part of your post.
Too funny, although I echo that last part *exactly*.
axxeman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2011, 11:37 AM   #35
Damien Lewis
"TRF" Member

I was at the Breitling Boutique in NYC last week and was informed by the sales rep I spoke with that the current Emergency is being retooled with an updated Transmitter. The new transmitter will operate on a more current frequency as the current Emergency's frequency is outdated. When asked if one could update an Emergency to the new frequency, the answer was: No.

Hope this helps...Not sure why they would not be able to update older Emergency's with the frequency that is coming out. I for one would be quite mad to know that a current Emergency will be extremely outdated when the new one comes out and there is no update.
Damien Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2011, 02:28 PM   #36
Rogue884
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 & 116660
I preface this by stating the story is too funny to be real, but as told to me from my jeweler.

My old jewler in Jacksonville told me about a guy who purchased two (2) of them from him a few years back. The guy bought a Yellow gold for himself and a Ti for his son. Went through all the paperwork, signed the respsonsability waiver, paid, etc, etc . . . While at the store, the dad pulls the antennae while fiddling with it, apparently right in front of the manager . . . Manager freaks right out, he preceeds to tell him that Breitling will not repair and replace, for non-emergencies, and that the cost to bring it back to functionality is pretty much the cost of the watch. Wait for it, the new owner begins to loose his mind, apparently made quite a scene. Meanwhile, as the angery idiot is spouting off, the Coast Guard strolls in. Whacks the guy with a fine, though my jeweler didn't know how much. Funniest part of the story was that it was the yellow gold one

"The probability of anyone watching you do something is in direct proportion to the stupidity of what you are doing" - Warren Miller
Rogue884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2011, 03:09 PM   #37
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue884 View Post
I preface this by stating the story is too funny to be real, but as told to me from my jeweler.

My old jewler in Jacksonville told me about a guy who purchased two (2) of them from him a few years back. The guy bought a Yellow gold for himself and a Ti for his son. Went through all the paperwork, signed the respsonsability waiver, paid, etc, etc . . . While at the store, the dad pulls the antennae while fiddling with it, apparently right in front of the manager . . . Manager freaks right out, he preceeds to tell him that Breitling will not repair and replace, for non-emergencies, and that the cost to bring it back to functionality is pretty much the cost of the watch. Wait for it, the new owner begins to loose his mind, apparently made quite a scene. Meanwhile, as the angery idiot is spouting off, the Coast Guard strolls in. Whacks the guy with a fine, though my jeweler didn't know how much. Funniest part of the story was that it was the yellow gold one
I think either the jeweler made up the story or the guy "fiddling" with it was doing more than that... You have to deliberately activate the transmitter. It can't happen accidentally by fiddling with it because Breitling built certain measures to prevent accidental activation

First, the antenna cap doesn't just unscrew like the crown of a watch and then boom, its on. The person unscrewing it will hit a point of resistance that, if turned more, would break a security ring. In order to break that ring, you know you're forcing something to turn. Once unscrewed, its still not transmitting. You then have to pull out the antenna to its full length of 43cm to activivate the transmitter.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2011, 04:05 PM   #38
Rogue884
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 & 116660
Like I said, its just too funny of a story to be true, and I have never handled an Emergency other than to look at one, so I don't know how to operate one.

"The probability of anyone watching you do something is in direct proportion to the stupidity of what you are doing" - Warren Miller
Rogue884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2011, 04:09 PM   #39
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue884 View Post
Like I said, its just too funny of a story to be true, and I have never handled an Emergency other than to look at one, so I don't know how to operate one.
I hear ya
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2011, 02:46 PM   #40
43builder
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116528 YG Daytona
Just sold my emergency with an Orange dial to a friend. all of my friends at my College did not believe me when i told them what the barrel was really for, and even though i usually like to show the people the features of my watch, that was one thing which it is not worth the fine for a few seconds of ooo and aww ing lol
Omega Vintage 1970's 617 Movement
43builder is offline   Reply With Quote