The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 June 2013, 07:46 AM   #61
c.rod
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Neither brand should be bought from an AD, esp the Breitling. From a trusted or good grey dealer at 10-15% off for a Rolex, and 25-35% off a Breitling represent good value and then very little loss on resale.
even with 25% off on a super avenger you will still lose some $$ just not as much. lnib i would say you will lose about $700 if you recieved that discount. thats not bad on a breitling..
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2013, 01:29 AM   #62
honda23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster 16623
Datejust2 for weekday and super avenger for weekend...
honda23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2013, 01:31 PM   #63
K7Baixo2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Code, Explor.II
Shoot - now I'm feeling the need to wear my old B-1.

It may be a quartz but it's a hell of a quartz.

And, the back of the watch is beautiful:

Old 26 November 2013, 11:40 AM   #64
Soflobusinessman
"TRF" Member

My experience owned both brands.

Sold barely worn breitling (worn dozen times) lost 5o%
Sold sub, worn everyday for 10 years made 50%

Breitling very busy dial, hard to tell time
Rolex more classic, easy to read.

Rolex fly under radar, smaller dial, looks like a steel watch
Breitiling, huge polished, very bling.

Rolex felt better quality p, breitling bezel spun freely

See breitling at Costco for thousands off
Rolex fewer ad, more control over discounting.

That's how I see the breitling vs rolex dilemma.
Soflobusinessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 06:08 AM   #65
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soflobusinessman View Post
My experience owned both brands.

Sold barely worn breitling (worn dozen times) lost 5o%
Sold sub, worn everyday for 10 years made 50%

Breitling very busy dial, hard to tell time
Rolex more classic, easy to read.

Rolex fly under radar, smaller dial, looks like a steel watch
Breitiling, huge polished, very bling.

Rolex felt better quality p, breitling bezel spun freely

See breitling at Costco for thousands off
Rolex fewer ad, more control over discounting.

That's how I see the breitling vs rolex dilemma.
You are generalising far too much, there are some Breitlings that are brushed and do not have very busy dials with tight bezels, just as there are some Rolexes that are very bling and attention grabbing, DD2, DJ2, and big and very thick, DSSD, YM2, and as many more gold Rolexes are bought than Breitling ones Rolex actually has even more bling power as a brand.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 01:33 PM   #66
seadubs
"TRF" Member

I started with a Breitling, and now have a Rolex. Different grades of watches imo, although some of the Breitlings can be quite nice. Depending on your price range, I think the sub is one of the perfect watches that can be worn with anything..
seadubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 05:13 PM   #67
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Breitling makes great watches on my account. Finishing is outstanding for the buck. They feel solid, have great presence. Atleast 3 or 4 my friends (non wis) have told me they love my navitimer and want a piece like it. I've never had anyone tell me they particularly like my gmt 2c or aspired to own one. With that said, my Rolex has not left my wrist but once or twice in the past 12 months. I can't really tell you why, it is what it is.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 05:39 PM   #68
andyboy39
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I think Breitling is a great watch company. Probably my second favorite behind Rolex. I owned a Breitling Navitimer for four years before I flipped it to finance another Rolex. Here are my opinions...

In the Breitling line up, the models I like most are the Navitimers, Super Ocean Heritages, and the Transoceans. I have never been a fan of the Chronomat, Professional line, etc. Breitlings often get noticed more due to their size, bling factor, sub dials, contrasting leather straps, etc. They stand out whereas Rolex are frequently copied by other companies and are more subdued. This results in people who don't know their watches being drawn to models that are bigger, shinier, or have more stuff going on on the dial. Breitling makes an exceptional aviation time piece that is a classic. Now that they are making their own in house movements, they have upped their game. I have been a flight surgeon in the Navy for four years and Breitling is king among naval aviators. Nothing Rolex produces looks like a Navitimer.

Rolex on the other hand is an icon as a brand. There is an appreciable difference in quality between my Navitimer and my Rolex watches. While my Rolex never commanded compliments, if I was left with one time piece that I was forced to rely upon, it would be my Rolex without a doubt. I began to fall out of love with my Navitimer and more interested in getting a Milgauss or GMT Master II. I settled on the Milgauss and really have not looked back. I started my collection wanting to possess the icons from every brand but have since become a Rolex only collector. It's not that I wouldn't purchase a Breitling again, I'd just have to have a lot of Rolex watches before I would do it. Even then I might take a closer look at IWC.

Breitling makes exceptional watches and if you are heavily involved in aviation, it is the only brand you should consider (with IWC as a possibility). Their luxury pieces don't compare to Rolex, their dive watches while aesthetically pleasing are no match for the Submariner or DSSD. Again this is just my opinion.
I Concur...
andyboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2013, 01:36 AM   #69
vitalsignsrn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 - 14060M
I think you have answered your own question and made valid arguments for your decisions. LOL You say over and over that you like the Breitling better and that the Milgaus is going to sit in a drawer and will see if it does something for you once its out of sight out of mind kind of thing. If you have it put away, you aren't enjoying it. ;-) I say get rid of it and get the one you really want. Some people never own a Rolex cause they just don't like them. Its not against the law. LOL
vitalsignsrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2013, 01:54 AM   #70
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill2mrbill2 View Post
Get what make you smile.

X2
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2013, 08:36 AM   #71
69mach351
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
Wow, it has been awhile since I started this thread. Since I started it, I have had time to think. I am more feeling it doesn't have to be an either/or thing and it is kind of silly to argue over one being "better" than the other. Both have some incredible points, history, styles, etc. To say that one is more deserving of wrist time is splitting hairs. I still can't bring myself to "collect" these types of watches. I feel that having one to three of them, definitely makes me appreciate them more.
69mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2013, 09:15 AM   #72
Roller07
"TRF" Member

Watch: HulkPepsiCoke
I like both and have both.
Roller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2013, 01:07 PM   #73
al358
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller07 View Post
I like both and have both.
plus 2, love them both!!!!!
al358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2013, 01:32 PM   #74
cali kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 16613, 024
At the moment I own two Rolex and three Breitings ( all eta based movements) and had two more Rolex watches years ago. Looks is about even, Bling factor goes to Breitling, as does bigger pieces! I feel my SuperOcean feels like a better made piece than my Sub but you've got everything being made in-house with Rolex, some of the newer Breitling pieces have in-house movements as are most parts on the higher end pieces. I really want a Navitimer but in the end you can't compare the brands, Rolex wins every time! Now Breitling vs Omega and I might lean towards the Breitling..
Old 24 December 2013, 09:50 AM   #75
up2nogood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I have recently 'got over' watches that are too tall. So I've ditched a Panerai 312, a Breitling Avenger, thinking about ditching an AP ROO and am giving my Breitling Chronomat Evo to my dad. I'll probably buy a Daytona or an AP ROC for my chrono fix, everything else is too tall for me.

I am thinking of adding a Navitimer 01 shortly, although it's sure a pity they didn't align the date like the original. My only complaint.

It ain't about the brand, it's about the quality of the product and if it works for you.
up2nogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2014, 01:00 PM   #76
kyledrum2002
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 White Romans
I tried on Superocean 42 and 44 and like them both a lot. I own a SubC and feel there is nothing that can compete. The oyster bracelet has always been the most elegant looking bracelet to me. It screams sport and class. Very well balanced watch.
kyledrum2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2014, 04:45 PM   #77
robisan
"TRF" Member

This thread was a year ago.. as you are in rolexforums, go rolex. lol.
robisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2014, 04:47 PM   #78
honda23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster 16623
I like both of them..so now i own Rolex Datejust2 SS/YG with Green Roman Markers and Breitling Super Avenger 2 (48mm)....My Breit used for daily...and My DJ2 for special occasions....
honda23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2014, 09:25 AM   #79
U Boat
"TRF" Member

Watch: U Boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYresq View Post
I have a Rolex DSSD, a TT sub, a Breitling Super Avenger, Ti seawolf and a Ti chrono avenger.

what I wear depends on what I am doing, what I am wearing and where I am going... 90% of the time, the DSSD is my daily wear...
Buy what you like and forget what name it has on it.

In reality, no one else cares, and if they do, then they aren't really your friend...

You have great taste, Actually those are the very ones I like....and have some of them. I have the black steel versions.
U Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2014, 11:29 PM   #80
Oldguy
"TRF" Member

I have owned three Breitlings, still own two. I own one Rolex. Overall I like the look of more Brieitlings than Rolex but none of my mechanical Breitling watches keep good time after the warranty expired. I sold my Breitling Steelfish, the one I liked the most because I was not going to pay hundreds of dollars to have the watch conditioned to keep good time a couple of months after the warranty had expired. My Chronomat I did have conditioned and it runs 90 seconds a day fast again shortly after warranty expiration. My first and favorite Breiling is a Colt Quartz Chronograph. It is almost ten years old, is well worn and was my cheapest model. It however is within 2 seconds of the atomic clock having not been adjusted since battery change two years ago. My Rolex is a Submariner, looks great and is always within spec for a certified chronometer. It is only one year old so the jury is still out on accuracy after warranty. I feel that watches that are as expensive as Breitling and Rolex not only must look good but also be a good watch. To me accuracy and looks are equally important. On that basis I would never buy another Breitling.
Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2014, 11:59 PM   #81
Robertus2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy View Post
I have owned three Breitlings, still own two. I own one Rolex. Overall I like the look of more Brieitlings than Rolex but none of my mechanical Breitling watches keep good time after the warranty expired. I sold my Breitling Steelfish, the one I liked the most because I was not going to pay hundreds of dollars to have the watch conditioned to keep good time a couple of months after the warranty had expired. My Chronomat I did have conditioned and it runs 90 seconds a day fast again shortly after warranty expiration. My first and favorite Breiling is a Colt Quartz Chronograph. It is almost ten years old, is well worn and was my cheapest model. It however is within 2 seconds of the atomic clock having not been adjusted since battery change two years ago. My Rolex is a Submariner, looks great and is always within spec for a certified chronometer. It is only one year old so the jury is still out on accuracy after warranty. I feel that watches that are as expensive as Breitling and Rolex not only must look good but also be a good watch. To me accuracy and looks are equally important. On that basis I would never buy another Breitling.
You must have had lemons :( I had 5 Breitlings and still have 4, buying this year the next (Steelfish Chrono BEB dial). All are within COSC specs, even if they are not certified. My 8 year old Chrono Cockpit (7750 inside) is fast by 15.5 in the last 13.5 days so approx. +1 sec a day. Every manufaturer has lemons, some more, others less. I had 3 Rolex watches (2 Sub and 1 GMT) 2 were regulated extremely well, the 3rd one a bit worse than average. This it how it goes. I'll always have som 7750-based watches as I do not know about any payable waterproof day-date chronographs with turning bezel, and the Breitling CSO I. and the new Steelfish Chrono are such. (My daily wearer comes from Sch, a 376706.) So, if you like the Ling design, do not refuse to baby yourself with them, regardless they have TC Quartz, ETA-based or in-house mechanics inside. Just my two cents.
Robertus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2014, 04:40 AM   #82
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Rolex. Every Breitling just looks so "busy."
jjnd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2014, 11:28 PM   #83
hx_ONG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Others
i have both the SOH and SubC, personally i like the SubC more =)
ROLEX SUBMARINER DATE (116610LV) * ROLEX EXPLORER II (216570) * OFFICINE PANERAI LUMINOR 1950 3 DAYS POWER RESERVE ACCIAIO - 47MM (PAM00423) * BREITLING SUPEROCEAN HÉRITAGE 46 (A1732016) * ORIS AQUIS DATE (733 7653 41 55) * TAG HEUER GRAND CARERRA CALIBRE 17 RS (CAV511A.FC6225)

hx_ONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2014, 12:50 AM   #84
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Breitlings on their own are ok...

But choosing a Breitling over a ROLEX? NEVER
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2014, 03:25 AM   #85
robisan
"TRF" Member

Again, ROLEX. :)
robisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2014, 03:58 AM   #86
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Breitling or Rolex? ROLEX.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2014, 11:40 AM   #87
patrickjb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 126600
I think it all depends on your taste. I was trying on Explorer II's, Datejust II's, and Sub C's, but none of them looked normal on my wrist. I tried on a Navitimer and absolutely loved it. They're both great watches.

If you're looking for resale value, Rolex obviously wins without a question. If you're looking for a watch for sentimental value, or something you don't plan on getting rid of in a few years - then to each is own. It's all about how you feel when you wear it.
patrickjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2014, 04:06 AM   #88
crazyforwatches18
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breitlings
I currently own two Breitlings. White Dial Baton marker SA and a Grey Dial Bentley 6.75. I am actually stuck between a DSSD (which would be my first Rolex) and the New Navi 01 46mm. A hard decision as they are both so different and offer such different things. But I am a huge Breitling guy and I think I always will be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (77.1 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg photo1.jpg (67.8 KB, 195 views)
crazyforwatches18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2014, 07:32 AM   #89
anthoniejordan
"TRF" Member

I don't know why Breitlings have such a bad rep - the only time I hear anything positive is from Breitling owners.

This is my 2nd Breitling (I recently sold my Super Avenger for close to what I paid for it 6 years ago). Great movement, great feel, and I always get compliments on the look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B2.jpg (71.3 KB, 197 views)
anthoniejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2014, 08:46 AM   #90
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthoniejordan View Post
I don't know why Breitlings have such a bad rep - the only time I hear anything positive is from Breitling owners.
Well, Hublot owners get it worse, must be even more gutting after the crazy prices they are forced to pay!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote