The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 June 2014, 11:59 PM   #91
anthoniejordan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Well, Hublot owners get it worse, must be even more gutting after the crazy prices they are forced to pay!
Good point. Moving forward I'll only be buying Rolex, until (if ever) I can afford a Patek.
anthoniejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2014, 12:49 PM   #92
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I'm particularly fond of the Transocean, the 38mm...and I like the Navitimer very much. The Navitimer is as iconic as any watch out there. I've got the "Old" Navitimer and the very cool Cosmonaute, with its 24 hour dial. I enjoy the Aerospace, too, when I want the functions it offers. It's my only Quartz watch.

I love Rolex and Omega, too. So, those are my brands of preference. I've acquired a few from each over the years. I enjoy them all, and choose one over the other according to mood and activity.

Choose what you find most satisfying...

And, as a thread can always use more pictures...here's some Breitling goodness:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2014, 07:52 PM   #93
LuxuryWatchCollector
"TRF" Member

I love this thread.

Breitling started me on my life long watch obsession....I am lucky enough to have three pieces and I love them all....Rolex crept up on me slowly over time...the more I learned about watches the more I appreciated Rolex.

So the long answer is......both !!
LuxuryWatchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 12:34 PM   #94
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor View Post
Love both brands......was a Chronomat man back in the early 90's when it was 'just" a 38MM case......believe it or not, it was considered large. Switched over to Rolex for awhile.....more recently into Omega, IWC and a short flirtation with Panerai. When I saw this beauty, it was back to Breitling.

Most important aspect to buying a Breitling is getting as much of a discount as possible due to the bad resale value/pricing they bring.

Niiiice.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 12:38 PM   #95
HorologicalGangster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 326938
My grandfather gave me a T/T DJ almost 15 years ago. It's always held excellent time and I only sent it in after about 10 years of owning it for basic servicing. I owned several Breitlings over the years, which included the Blackbird, Colt Automatic II, and Navitimer 01. When Breitling introduced the Navitimer with the 01 in-house movement it became my grail. However, after having to send it in to BUSA twice while in warranty for the watch totally stopping when fully wound, I lost much respect for the brand.

After reading the forums I learned the 01 movement had several malfunctions reported by several owners. I understand there are several happy 01 owners who have had no issues, but my situation put a bad taste in my mouth.

I am a pilot and a lover of fine mechanical watches, so Breitling only made sense. I recently sold my Navi 01 and bought a Rolex BLNR and couldn't be happier. Breitling has several great looking watches, but I have been disappointed in their marketing. For example, they introduce a particular model, change the dial color and hype it as a L.E. Also, they change a minor detail of a standard watch and push it as a commemorative piece. Also their price increases (as all brands have) doesn't reflect their increase of quality. For example, the cheaper box they come in and lack of new innovative in-house movements.

Just my 2 cents, and to each his own, but if you want it done right you can't go wrong with The Crown.

-Nick
HorologicalGangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 02:52 PM   #96
ess45
"TRF" Member

Breitling or Rolex. Rolex

Breitling and Rolex. Yes
ess45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2014, 09:46 AM   #97
Varoom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
I traded 2 breitling super avengers which were one year old for a brand new Rolex Deepsea.

one ss white dial and one blacksteel special edition.

never looked back!

but do miss having a all black watch for occasions....maybe ill buy another breitling blacksteel at some point as they are without question AWESOEME!
Old 6 August 2014, 09:59 AM   #98
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologicalGangster View Post
Also, they change a minor detail of a standard watch and push it as a commemorative piece.
Rolex haven't done much different these last couple of days
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2014, 10:27 AM   #99
HorologicalGangster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 326938
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Rolex haven't done much different these last couple of days
Exactly, and it's so disappointing!

-Nick
HorologicalGangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2014, 04:25 AM   #100
andpassport
"TRF" Member

Breitling is good for 6 months
andpassport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2014, 10:57 PM   #101
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach351 View Post
I thought I would post here in hopes of a little more neutral thoughts. Names aside, which company's watches do you prefer? I traded in my superocean heritage for the milgauss gv, and to be honest, I think I prefer the SO. I recently saw the transocean and absolutely love it. I know they don't quite carry the prestige of Rolex and the resale can be horrid, but I hate to feel like I may be owning something just for the name, when there is something I may enjoy more, and it is actually chreaper. The wife says to just get another watch. Not sure if I want $10k in watches.
You should have gone for a Sub, date or no date or a Sea Dweller if you had the funds. going from SO to Milgauss especially if it's for everyday not a god idea IMO
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2014, 11:03 PM   #102
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I had 2 Breitlings, I sold them to get other pieces, now I have Rolex amongst others, but no Breitling and there won't be, the quality and finition plus the overall feel makes for me Rolex a better brand than Breitling, even though it is a very good brand.
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2014, 01:07 PM   #103
CWIN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, AP, Rolex
Not really a fan of most of Breitling's offerings...there are a few pieces that I like but there are a lot of other watches I'd rather have in that price range. To each their own.
CWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 08:36 AM   #104
Rp930
"TRF" Member

I have both but the Rolex gets the most wrist time.
Rp930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 09:29 AM   #105
Rp930
"TRF" Member

Delete
Rp930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 12:36 AM   #106
holdtime
Banned

Quote:
I thought I would post here in hopes of a little more neutral thoughts. Names aside, which company's watches do you prefer? I traded in my superocean heritage for the milgauss gv, and to be honest, I think I prefer the SO. I recently saw the transocean and absolutely love it. I know they don't quite carry the prestige of Rolex and the resale can be horrid, but I hate to feel like I may be owning something just for the name, when there is something I may enjoy more, and it is actually chreaper. The wife says to just get another watch. Not sure if I want $10k in watches.
Order trans ocean heritage 2 ceramic bezel,at two different AD.6 months ago still waiting ,nada!they have no interest on selling or placing an order. Trying to sell old stock.
Go Rolex.
holdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 05:50 AM   #107
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soflobusinessman View Post
My experience owned both brands.

Sold barely worn breitling (worn dozen times) lost 5o%
Sold sub, worn everyday for 10 years made 50%

Breitling very busy dial, hard to tell time
Rolex more classic, easy to read.

Rolex fly under radar, smaller dial, looks like a steel watch
Breitiling, huge polished, very bling.

Rolex felt better quality p, breitling bezel spun freely

See breitling at Costco for thousands off
Rolex fewer ad, more control over discounting.

That's how I see the breitling vs rolex dilemma.
Not always true. Check out my 1994 Chronomat. Super clean with a really nice gold and rhodium dial. great size 40 mm. The bezel clicks rock solid, and is unidirectional (with a lume at 12). Not sure any 5 digit rolex outside of maybe a daytona feels like it is better quality. It has double AR coated domed sapphire crystal. Has a solid 5 link bracelet that will not stretch. I like Rolex movements better, but I would actually say Breitling may be slightly more finished.

I'm selling it and there are really nice pictures on the ebay auction (which are too big to post here, check out a close up of the dial, its very well done): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Breitling-C...4/202197929063

Costco also sells rolex, but in general yes Rolex holds value more than breitling.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 06:24 AM   #108
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I own both and there is no comparison . If I had to do it over again I would have not bought breitling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 06:35 AM   #109
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

I have 3 Breitlings and have never had any problems. Bernato 42 Bentley, transocean chrono and a unitime. All are unique and different from rolex. I usually wear my Daytona or gmt most of the time but it is nice to change it up. You can't go wrong either way.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 07:21 AM   #110
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
After my Rolex, next three have been Breitling. Love them all. Don’t care about resale. Have never sold a watch I bought.
Old 31 January 2018, 08:41 PM   #111
BiggerJon
"TRF" Member

Personally, I prefer Breitling. Buy what you want though. Wearing a watch comes down to how it makes you feel when you wear it. Eph resale value.
BiggerJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 07:42 AM   #112
AndyWright
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deepsea
They are both great brands, but for some reason Breitling just don't do it for me.
AndyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 11:32 AM   #113
usling15
"TRF" Member

Buy pre-owned. Get 2 Breitlings for the price of 1 Rolex
Twice the fun.
usling15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 12:42 PM   #114
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
SO is cool.
Old 2 February 2018, 12:42 PM   #115
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWright View Post
They are both great brands, but for some reason Breitling just don't do it for me.
Maybe it's the super shiny bracelets.
Old 2 February 2018, 01:23 PM   #116
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
Own two Breitlings and love them. The Colt Skyracer is a neat and very accurate watch that I like to wear when I go abroad and don't want to wear a Rolex.
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 12:11 PM   #117
yhzdude
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Rolex are nice but overpriced. i think you get good bang for your buck with Breitling.
i do like both. But would wear Breitling as a daily beater, and Rolex more for a formal night out.
at the moment i wear my Rolex, more than my Breitling, but i have my moments.
yhzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 11:30 AM   #118
eric4322
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 126300
Valid point seen several times is how polished, blingy, and busy some (most?) Breitlings are. I think a fairly subdued exception is the Avenger II GMT. Opinion probably tilted by the fact i have one on the way...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CVD blue avenger II GMT.jpg (97.1 KB, 79 views)
eric4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 05:21 AM   #119
ripslix
"TRF" Member

No comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
Quality wise, they are about the same tbh. The anti-reflective coating on the breitlings are AMAZING, best in the industry I think, better than the Bremonts etc. The B01 chrono movements are awesome as well, very high quality and accurate.
I have owned four Breitlings and they all had to go back for service by year three or two.
I have owned five Rolexes
Ceramic sub, Millgause, two oyster perpetuals and a Daytona. Not one Rolex has needed service!
All my watches are purchased new.
Very dissatisfied with Breitling, I actually gave my last two away to friends. That was after I paid the service fee.
ripslix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 04:09 AM   #120
Pol1
"TRF" Member

I am into Rolex since a couple of years, but these two favourites also :

Pol1 is offline   Reply With Quote