The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 6 March 2014, 11:34 AM   #31
daveswordfish
"TRF" Member

If someone with Rolex(s) wants to sell, they probably want the cash, not a Breitling. If someone with Rolex(s) wants a used Bretling, they probably can simply buy one, without offloading a watch to do it. That's why no one wants to do the trade.

They are great watches and hold their value similarly to other marques in their price band. Remember, they can be readily had new at 20-30 pct off retail. Discounts when new do not help resale values.

I have an Avenger....Blue one. Very happy with it.

Keep the Breitling...save a while longer for the Rolex. Enjoy both. :-)
daveswordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2014, 12:14 PM   #32
JonMatrix
"TRF" Member

The only reason I'm getting rid of the SuperOcean Chrono is I don't wear it, just sits in my winder. It's a bit blingy for my current taste. Beautiful watch, but it's highly polished. I also have a SuperOcean 44, which I wear everyday and love. Just looking to get something for it to put toward a Rolex that I will wear.
JonMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2014, 12:33 PM   #33
Maxfli
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cc1966 View Post
I've been nailed profusely trying to sell two Breitlings in the past. Never again. There are just too many new ones at good prices out their to compete.
Pre-owned is the only way to buy a Breitling. I've had three that I picked up on the forums and was able to flip all of them for what I paid or a little more.
Old 6 March 2014, 10:15 PM   #34
SixPak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
No you go back to sleep. I have had a Steelfish and a B01 chronomat and they are built and finished just as well as my subc and better than my old sub esp the bracelets, only they can be bought a helluva lot cheaper. They are far more bang for your buck than Rolex if you buy smart and then resale is not a huge problem either.
I agree with everything Neil said. Breitling is a brand that offers a great alternative to Rolex (for me anyway) and provides great bang for the buck. Sure it doesn't carry the same cachet as Rolex. I love many offerings (not all) in their line up.
SixPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2014, 08:31 AM   #35
SALTY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
The pilot in me in drawn to Brietling. But for the lack of better water resistance, i would be all over a Navitimer on a bracelet.
Old 7 March 2014, 09:31 AM   #36
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

I handled a friend's Colt Chrono recently and the fit and finish were on par with any Rolex I've seen. The bracelet was very comfortable too.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2014, 09:38 AM   #37
psv
"TRF" Member

Very few people would trade a Rolex for a Breitling so you should forget about that notion. Sell your Breitling at WUS or the Breitling forum metioned.

This is not to say that Breitling doesn't make very sturdy and good watches. And their new B01 chrono movement is a marvel, but still the Rolex crowd generally doesn't go for it.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2014, 12:39 PM   #38
C6MMVI
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512, 105.012
Well said.
I own both Rolex and Breitling watches and put both are in the same league as far as I am concerned.
I also own a C6 Corvette that I will put against any 911 or boxster out there.
Dollar for dollar the Vette is a much better bang for the buck any day.
Sold my Porsche years ago and never looked back.
C6MMVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2014, 11:24 PM   #39
Evanisrushin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMatrix View Post
The only reason I'm getting rid of the SuperOcean Chrono is I don't wear it, just sits in my winder. It's a bit blingy for my current taste. Beautiful watch, but it's highly polished. I also have a SuperOcean 44, which I wear everyday and love. Just looking to get something for it to put toward a Rolex that I will wear.
I have been trying to move this one for a month - it's hard with Breitling sometimes.

WP_20140109_003.jpg

WP_20140109_009.jpg

WP_20140109_018.jpg
Evanisrushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 12:47 AM   #40
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Trades are hard because not only do you have to find something you want, but you've got to have something they want. And like others have mentioned, the motivation may not be there. I don't have evidence to back this up, but I believe most transactions are because people are moving up in the watch world. Meaning I think personal collectors are selling their Rolex watches to fund APs, VCs, PPs, etc. The OP is in the boat of wanting to go from Breitling to Rolex. As a whole, Breitlings are bigger, flashier, and are not for everyone (and I am a Navitimer 01 LE and Daytona owner). Subs and GMTs are pretty classic and smaller sized and I think have a greater appeal. So I'd say, put the Breitling for sale also on TimeZone and WUS. Get what you can and be patient. No nibbles doesn't mean lack of interest, but you've got to have someone interested who is ready to buy and that doesn't always happen right away.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 04:38 AM   #41
JonMatrix
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Evanisrushin;4784978]I have been trying to move this one for a month - it's hard with Breitling sometimes.

I'll trade ya! I have all papers, boxes and original receipts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.0 KB, 577 views)
Old 9 March 2014, 05:00 AM   #42
Jgs2451
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610LN
Own a SubC but still love the navitimers ..... Looking to add one to my collection soon
Jgs2451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2014, 07:07 AM   #43
bungcarlo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa73 View Post
without the risk of offending the OP or anyone else.

Breitling simply isnt in the same 'league' as Rolex. thats why no one wants to trade 'down'.

its like offering your corvette and cash for my porsche

I'm not being a snob. I love the Breitling Avenger and older superocean models **they completely ruined the new superoceans**

Reason why I went for the older superocean.
I love both brands but Rolex definitely holds their value over Breitlings.
bungcarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 07:43 AM   #44
111forza
"TRF" Member

I must say I personally think Rolex in general are of better quality than Breitling and there's no doubt resale value with Rolex is far far superior That said I absolutely love my Navitimer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (87.7 KB, 514 views)
111forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 09:37 AM   #45
robertgrom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
What a joke...

Quote:
without the risk of offending the OP or anyone else.

Breitling simply isnt in the same 'league' as Rolex. thats why no one wants to trade 'down'.

its like offering your corvette and cash for my porsche

I'm not being a snob. I love the Breitling Avenger and older superocean models **they completely ruined the new superoceans**

Nobody cares about your Porsche when the Corvette Stingray is passing by...
robertgrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 02:16 PM   #46
bmpwatch
"TRF" Member

I really like the Breitling for Bentley models...especially on steel bracelet. May take a hit on the resale value, but who cares. I buy a watch because I like it, not based on what I can sell it for.
bmpwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2014, 01:57 PM   #47
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I had no trouble offloading my super avenger on ebay for 3k, I paid 3500 at an AD for it new. I assume this was because of currency fluctuations and its relation to msrp.

Breitling is a great watch. Don't be lazy, sell it yourself. It is just like trading in a car, you will have to bend over because they want to make a money on it.

Last but not least, the corvette owners are a touchy group
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2014, 02:04 PM   #48
bluecollar

The only Breitling model that I like is the Navi. I own one, and *gasp* just traded one of my Rolexes for another Navi and cash.

I owned a Super Ocean for all of 3 days. Just was not impressed (not to mention HATED the rubber bezel insert).
bluecollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2014, 10:29 PM   #49
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Breitlings are huge, heavy and always changing. Once a $8000 breitling is 5 years old they've already come out with 3 new styles it seems like, not to mention their high production numbers and previously used modified ETAs for their movements. Once I bought my first rolex I was hooked, I tried on breitlings for months, and looked at various other brands because I had no intentions of buying a rolex, then I bought the first rolex I tried on because it was just the right watch for me. Breitlings are made to be appreciated by others, rolexes are more for self appreciation
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2014, 10:42 AM   #50
balboa73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgrom View Post
Nobody cares about your Porsche when the Corvette Stingray is passing by...
my porsche? my porsche is a cayenne diesel...

oh i own 2 corvettes as well...a 1969 stingray and a 2003 50th anniversary..

all 3 go nice with my ferrari 360 spider

corvettes are nice and fast. but porsche wipes there arse with them handling wise.......

build quality? shame on you. DONT EVER compare a GM corvette to a Porsche OR a Ferrari

for the record. WHY would anyone care about my porsche? my comment corvette/porsche was an 'analogy' regarding breitling/rolex

trust me. calling breitling a corvette IS a compliment. but Breitling simply isnt Rolex.period. just as corvette ISNT porsche
balboa73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2014, 11:20 AM   #51
MikenAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie GMT
My vette isn't that fast but makes up for it in " old school cool". Been in the family since new. Dad purchased her in December of 1960. Original and no trades ....sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131108_134230.jpg (95.0 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg 20131108_134243.jpg (95.8 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (97.1 KB, 416 views)
MikenAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2014, 11:47 PM   #52
JonMatrix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecollar View Post
The only Breitling model that I like is the Navi. I own one, and *gasp* just traded one of my Rolexes for another Navi and cash.

I owned a Super Ocean for all of 3 days. Just was not impressed (not to mention HATED the rubber bezel insert).
See and I love my Super Ocean 44, it's my daily. Love the rubberized bezel. Different strokes.
Old 13 March 2014, 02:51 AM   #53
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenAZ View Post
My vette isn't that fast but makes up for it in " old school cool". Been in the family since new. Dad purchased her in December of 1960. Original and no trades ....sorry.
Awesome. Congrats!
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2014, 06:20 AM   #54
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenAZ View Post
That is really nice. There is a guy who has that same one around here that has less than 100 miles.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2014, 08:58 AM   #55
Kevin.S
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
my porsche? my porsche is a cayenne diesel...

oh i own 2 corvettes as well...a 1969 stingray and a 2003 50th anniversary..

all 3 go nice with my ferrari 360 spider

corvettes are nice and fast. but porsche wipes there arse with them handling wise.......

build quality? shame on you. DONT EVER compare a GM corvette to a Porsche OR a Ferrari

for the record. WHY would anyone care about my porsche? my comment corvette/porsche was an 'analogy' regarding breitling/rolex

trust me. calling breitling a corvette IS a compliment. but Breitling simply isnt Rolex.period. just as corvette ISNT porsche
Kevin.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2014, 04:00 PM   #56
Shawnnyang
Banned

big ostentatious watches to impress the general population who are not into watches. In that regard, it achieves its purpose but not my cup of tea.
Shawnnyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2014, 08:49 AM   #57
Survivor
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Great watches........extremely poor resale.......its just that simple. I recently bought and sold the Transocean Unitime..........gorgeous watch. Fortunately, I bought it right so the pain wasn't too much to bare when I sold it. You have to buy these BNIB at a minimum 33% and preowned, even on a LNIB at a minimum of 50% off, otherwise, wear them or feel the pain.
Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2014, 11:12 AM   #58
BSOL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMatrix View Post
That site seems to down, undergoing maintenance.
This is why I want a Rolex, they are the only sub 10k watch brand that can hold their value.
I wear my SO 44 everyday, but the Chrono just doesn't see any time.
I agree with your statement on Rolexes maintaining their value and Breitlings losing theirs. I feel it has a lot to do with Rolexes maintaining a constant in terms of design and quality whereas Breitling is too trendy and flashy, which seem to only attract impulse buyers who do not understand the real qualities that make a watch valuable/collectable. I like the fact that Rolex has an understated look combined with a true purpose for their design & build. I feel Breitling once had that image many years ago with respect to their usefulness for aviators but over the years they lost their way and now only seem to appeal to those who want to add a little bling to their wardrobe. There are, however, quite a few die hard Breitling owners out there who would want your watch but be prepared to offload it for its current market value, which is not that good.
Old 14 March 2014, 02:09 PM   #59
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

I find the above last three statements to be a bit generalized, no? I agree Breitling has an issue with consistency but really they aren't just for the "general population" (not quite sure what that means). Used Rolex sell for about 30% off their retail with Breitling a slightly higher loss. As an owner of both brands, I do think some of these statements help reinforce the "better-than-thou" attitudes of certain Rolex owners...
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2014, 02:50 AM   #60
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse32 View Post
I find the above last three statements to be a bit generalized, no? I agree Breitling has an issue with consistency but really they aren't just for the "general population" (not quite sure what that means). Used Rolex sell for about 30% off their retail with Breitling a slightly higher loss. As an owner of both brands, I do think some of these statements help reinforce the "better-than-thou" attitudes of certain Rolex owners...
Yeah I agree, these are only WIS arguments regarding the bling factor. You ask normal people on the street and the vast majority will tell you Rolex is the watch for show offs, most of them won't even have ever really seen a Breitling.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote