The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 February 2020, 11:14 PM   #841
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Formula 1/Motorsports talk

Yes there’s a long-standing F1 thread here.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=556560

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 11:20 PM   #842
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Dual axis steering!

It’s the talk of the paddock on day two of testing, explained here by Peter Windsor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtsmEIQcv80

Fascinating stuff. I know the racing is not everybody’s cup of tea - each to his own - but this kind of innovation is what F1 is and always has been about. I’m really interested to see how much of a straight-line speed boost this gives the Merc. Apparently the team have cleared it with the FIA in terms of legality but I’d bet quite a bit that if it extends Merc’s dominance at the start of the season they’ll find a reason to ban it. Roll on Albert Park.
Old 21 February 2020, 02:36 AM   #843
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
I love F1. Hoping for a great season this year. Admittedly about half the races last year were pretty dull.

Started off as a huge Schumacher fan back when he was in his prime at Ferrari when I was younger. Currently going for Hamilton now however.

Never been to a race in person, but hoping to maybe do it this year. Maybe the Mexican GP, I always felt the Circuit of the America’s for the US GP is a bit of a dull track since it started.
Old 21 February 2020, 06:22 AM   #844
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Dual axis steering!

It’s the talk of the paddock on day two of testing, explained here by Peter Windsor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtsmEIQcv80

Fascinating stuff. I know the racing is not everybody’s cup of tea - each to his own - but this kind of innovation is what F1 is and always has been about. I’m really interested to see how much of a straight-line speed boost this gives the Merc. Apparently the team have cleared it with the FIA in terms of legality but I’d bet quite a bit that if it extends Merc’s dominance at the start of the season they’ll find a reason to ban it. Roll on Albert Park.

It is interesting. Won’t know if it’s compliant with regs. though.

FIA doesn’t rule on compliance until a car is presented for scrutineering but they will issue a declaration of homologous function.

For example, in this case, the question of whether this unique steering rack is performing an additional function in re: suspension. That’s important because there’s a rule against moveable suspension adjustment by the driver.

The regs. are silent about toe since it’s considered dynamic to begin with. But if this trick steering rig is performing an additional function like ride height or spring rate shifting, then look for a rule modification before Australia.

Old 21 February 2020, 06:49 AM   #845
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
It is interesting. Won’t know if it’s compliant with regs. though.

FIA doesn’t rule on compliance until a car is presented for scrutineering but they will issue a declaration of homologous function.

For example, in this case, the question of whether this unique steering rack is performing an additional function in re: suspension. That’s important because there’s a rule against moveable suspension adjustment by the driver.

The regs. are silent about toe since it’s considered dynamic to begin with. But if this trick steering rig is performing an additional function like ride height or spring rate shifting, then look for a rule modification before Australia.

Thanks for the informative response, which prompted me to have a look at the technical regs:

10.2.1 With the steering wheel fixed, the position of each wheel centre and the orientation of its rotation axis must be completely and uniquely defined by a function of its principally vertical suspension travel, save only for the effects of reasonable compliance which does not intentionally provide further degrees of freedom.

10.2.2 Any powered device which is capable of altering the configuration or affecting the performance of any part of any suspension system is forbidden.

10.2.3 No adjustment may be made to any suspension system while the car is in motion.

Whatever DAS actually does, it seems to me that it would not contravene the first two regs (assuming “powered” is interpreted as being electronically controlled - this appears to be the rule that outlawed the infamous active suspension). As you point out, there doesn’t appear to be any wiggle room within the last rule if DAS does, as PW speculates in the video, raise the front ride height to reduce the rake. I would therefore assume it doesn’t do this, unless Merc are banking on a very creative interpretation of what looks to be a very black and white rule.
Old 21 February 2020, 07:16 AM   #846
MSchu
Banned

it's not part of the suspension system... it's independent of that regulation.

there is currently no regulation for this in as far as steering components and TOE... that will probably change either prior to the first race OR if it becomes apparent that it is making a marginal difference in outright performance after the first race... until then it's brilliant.
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 07:45 AM   #847
77T

Technical language aside - and any competitive advantage too - if FIA doesn’t like it then look for the addition of the word “horizontal” to 10.2.1.

Old 21 February 2020, 08:39 AM   #848
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds sweet! GO Hamilton!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 08:50 AM   #849
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Is anyone even working on a second formula?
Old 21 February 2020, 09:11 AM   #850
racemekanic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
It's innovation and interpretation of wording which deems it legal. That's the great thing about F1, loopholes.

Similar to the legal/justice system, finding ways around words on paper to interpret something that's innovative and "legal".

Great work from Mercedes, looking forward to seeing how it pans out but will most likely get banned.
racemekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 09:15 AM   #851
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Gotta give it to Mercedes, they're on another level. Even if the gains end up being marginal it shows they're doing everything they possibly can to go faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racemekanic View Post
but will most likely get banned.
This is how I feel too

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 10:20 AM   #852
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Is anyone even working on a second formula?

Yes F2, F3, F4 & FE (Electric cars) all exist. They are spec series with separate single chassis & engine constructor concept.

Here in US there are season wide series for F3 & F4; F1 & FE also visit our shores. But for some reason the F2 series doesn’t.

By sticking with a single constructor, engine supplier and spec chassis we get to see who is the beat driver vs best spender.

Old 21 February 2020, 11:11 AM   #853
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes F2, F3, F4 & FE (Electric cars) all exist. They are spec series with separate single chassis & engine constructor concept.
Also Formula 2000 / Formula Continental, which I, ummmm, well, there's a Driver's Championship trophy in my office
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 21 February 2020, 11:38 AM   #854
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Also Formula 2000 / Formula Continental, which I, ummmm, well, there's a Driver's Championship trophy in my office

But of course, Champ, my mistake...

I left out many like Formula Vee, 500, 600, 1000, Ford, Atlantic, 3000, 5000 oh there are so many single seaters.

Old 21 February 2020, 11:42 PM   #855
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I left out many like Formula Vee, 500, 600, 1000, Ford, Atlantic, 3000, 5000 oh there are so many single seaters.
Yes, there are MANY crazies like us who keep our helmets exposed to the elements. Can't begin to count the times i've had to dodge debris from hitting my head. And then there's the rain races(!), because we race rain or shine.

(With an ashamed look on my face) Had to dust and clean this off.

And when we drivers thank the team and our driving coaches, etc, we REEEEEALLY mean it! Sure you need driving talent, cold-hearted risk calculations in a fraction of a second dynamically, a big set of dangling bits... yet the team, technicians, driving coach(s), etc TRULY deserve and have earned to be humbly thanked.

Old 22 February 2020, 12:17 AM   #856
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

DAS will be banned for 2021.

By implication, it looks like it's cleared for use this season.

Now all we need to know is if actually improves lap times.
Old 22 February 2020, 03:57 AM   #857
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Now all we need to know is if actually improves lap times.
It will improve straight-line speed for sure, PLUS reduce tire wear and lower (over) heat saturation (re: cooking the tires).

Hamilton wins again for 2020

Old 22 February 2020, 05:57 AM   #858
Yoda_Eating_Pizza

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
It will improve straight-line speed for sure, PLUS reduce tire wear and lower (over) heat saturation (re: cooking the tires).

Hamilton wins again for 2020
Which in turn greatly opens up pit/tire strategy options. This season Mercedes went from Sharknado to Sharknado with laser beams.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 06:54 AM   #859
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_Eating_Pizza View Post
Which in turn greatly opens up pit/tire strategy options. This season Mercedes went from Sharknado to Sharknado with laser beams.

Old 1 March 2020, 01:27 AM   #860
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0b7a9R3qSQ&app=desktop

Ferrari International Assistance to the rescue once again!
Old 8 March 2020, 10:54 PM   #861
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Holy crap.....Bahrain Formula One Race to be held without spectators, just announced because of the corona virus. Ouch
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 11:34 PM   #862
Peter Toronto
"TRF" Member

That may be the first race of many to go that route this f1 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peter Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 03:42 AM   #863
sillo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Holy crap.....Bahrain Formula One Race to be held without spectators, just announced because of the corona virus. Ouch
At least it's going on.

I wonder how the lockdown of Emilia-Romagna is going to effect Ferrari and Alpha Tauri.

@TheGMTHand
Old 9 March 2020, 03:52 AM   #864
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

The prawn-sandwich brigade in the stands at the races held at newer venues don’t add anything to the spectacle anyway.

It will though be a shame if this thing persists by the time we roll into May - as seems highly likely - and there’s no crowd allowed at Zandvoort (or worse, a cancellation) given the passion of the Dutch fans and the return of the Dutch GP to the calendar after so long.
Old 12 March 2020, 05:37 AM   #865
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo View Post
At least it's going on.

I wonder how the lockdown of Emilia-Romagna is going to effect Ferrari and Alpha Tauri.

I just posted this in the coronavirus thread to correct something I had posted earlier....

To answer the direct question of Italian-based teams and support personnel for this weekend:

Italian personnel from Ferrari, AlphaTauri and Pirelli were already in Melbourne before Australia enacted travel restrictions affecting travelers from Italy...

But 4 events have been affected...
Last night FIA did cancel and/or postpone several races on the calendar following the Australian GP.

They include the Chinese F1 GP, and 3 Formula E-Prix’s; Sanya, Rome & Jakarta.

As for AustraliaGP, they’ve had 3 team members go into isolation (one at McLaren and two at Haas) - treated as presumed coronaviral compromised until test results are returned.

Those team members had been freely mixing with other personnel in the paddock. If testing returns a positive result, I expect that would incite calls to cancel the GP weekend.

Old 12 March 2020, 07:52 AM   #866
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Ferrari is closed. I was putting together a build for a car and was advised it’s going to be a while, not only are the workers affected, but all parts from other manufacturers are not going into Italy for some time. Yikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2020, 08:09 AM   #867
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
As for AustraliaGP, they’ve had 3 team members go into isolation (one at McLaren and two at Haas) - treated as presumed coronaviral compromised until test results are returned.

Those team members had been freely mixing with other personnel in the paddock. If testing returns a positive result, I expect that would incite calls to cancel the GP weekend.
Everyone is locked in, this event in Melbourne, Australia is going ahead irrespective of who has got or may get the virus. Too much money and big business spent and committed to call the race off at the 12 hour I believe....

Ricciardo hopefully will not try to take the short-cut across the grass this year, as he stupidly did within the first 100 meters last year that stuffed his race and wasted millions of dollars of his team in preparation and attending the 2019 race.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2020, 09:28 AM   #868
77T

The Official Formula One Thread!

I agree it’s a “go” Steve.

I meant some people might incite calls to FIA for non-spectator status if those crew members came back positive.

Here in ATL, NCAA Final Four will go on as planned but without spectators.

As for Ricciardo - well that’s entertainment at play.

Old 12 March 2020, 09:29 AM   #869
77T

The Official Formula One Thread!

Dupe

Old 12 March 2020, 12:37 PM   #870
sillo
"TRF" Member

Think there's any chance they'll hold the race with no spectators? I think it's pretty absurd to have that many people in close proximity to each other when something like this is going on.

At this point I think the entire season is in jeopardy.

@TheGMTHand