The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 April 2018, 07:01 AM   #1
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Blancpain FF

Hi All,

As you might know, I have been a Rolex guy for many years and have collected the Submariner (LV and LN), the D-Blue, SD43 the BLNR and the DaytonaC500.

This weekend I have the opportunity to see in metal the Blancpain FF and it really took my breath away.

What a beautiful, gorgeous, sexy time piece.
Even if it’s 45mm, wears even smaller and lighter then the D-Blue and SD43.

I was so impress that actually want to have in my collection and I don’t really care if I have to let go any of my current watches.

Does anyone have the experience of owing the Blancpain FF (45mm) ??

Thank you all and looking forward for your advise,

Rodrigo
Rodrigo082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 07:16 AM   #2
Bt122
Banned

Watch: Ok...Watching
I had looked at the watch a bit ago. First thing that comes to mine is that It definitely is a big watch. I am a big fan of divers in general but have preffered 40mm +/-... 2 of my favorite ones are seiko sla17 and oris 65 40mm. The blancpan FF did come to the top of the list in terms of my interest but, a few things that bothered me was how far the crown stuck out and the size of the bracelet. But it’s fitting for the size of the watch. After all it is a FF.

Still an amazing watch
Bt122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 07:35 AM   #3
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt122 View Post
I had looked at the watch a bit ago. First thing that comes to mine is that It definitely is a big watch. I am a big fan of divers in general but have preffered 40mm +/-... 2 of my favorite ones are seiko sla17 and oris 65 40mm. The blancpan FF did come to the top of the list in terms of my interest but, a few things that bothered me was how far the crown stuck out and the size of the bracelet. But it’s fitting for the size of the watch. After all it is a FF.

Still an amazing watch
Thank you for your feedback.
Definitely it’s a big watch - I mean, I have the D-Blue and it’s heavier and wear higher in the wrist compare with the FF.

How you mean “how far the crown stuck out?
Old 29 April 2018, 07:38 AM   #4
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
I need pictures, otherwise any of those other Rolex words look better than the word Blancpain FF.
I tried one on a while back....loved it, gorgeous watch. Just couldn't commit.
If you could swing it and get a good price, go for it. Nice change of pace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_1img_3476.jpg (288.6 KB, 1743 views)
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 09:48 AM   #5
DaveLemi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mid-Range Stuff
I, like you, felt the FF was an absolute stunner the first time I saw one in the flesh. My wrist is just a bit under 7 inches and I was surprised at how well this 45mm watch fit (small lugs!). After leaving the watch store I got in the car looked at my wrist which was wearing my 114060- it looked plain, boring and pedestrian compared to the FF. As soon as I got home I started to look for possible trades and 4 days later the FF arrived. I love it!
DaveLemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 11:59 AM   #6
Bt122
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo082 View Post
Thank you for your feedback.
Definitely it’s a big watch - I mean, I have the D-Blue and it’s heavier and wear higher in the wrist compare with the FF.

How you mean “how far the crown stuck out?
You see the crown... it sticks all the way out. It would be in my way most of the day if my wrist was bent... say if I was typing or driving .

If the crown was at 4pm like the seiko, probably I would like it more... excuse my daughters pic but trying to point out the 4pm crown
Old 29 April 2018, 01:33 PM   #7
2Redbulls
"TRF" Member

Watch: I give up..

The Fifty Fathoms is one of my favorite watches. Owned one several years ago and sold it. It was one of the few watches I regretted selling. I picked up another one about 1.5 years ago and sent it in for routine service. Now that's it's back, it's been on my wrist the entire time. I purchased a Fifty Fathoms Mil Spec in 40mm and while it's a really nice watch (I posted a thread on this) I ultimately realized that the original in 45mm is the one I like most.

A lot of times, certain watches look better in pictures then they do in person (some of you know what I mean). The Fifty Fathoms 5015 is the exact opposite. It's better in person and pics don't do it justice.

2Redbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 05:01 PM   #8
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLemi View Post
I, like you, felt the FF was an absolute stunner the first time I saw one in the flesh. My wrist is just a bit under 7 inches and I was surprised at how well this 45mm watch fit (small lugs!). After leaving the watch store I got in the car looked at my wrist which was wearing my 114060- it looked plain, boring and pedestrian compared to the FF. As soon as I got home I started to look for possible trades and 4 days later the FF arrived. I love it!
Amazing picture...
Thanks for sharing
Old 29 April 2018, 05:02 PM   #9
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You see the crown... it sticks all the way out. It would be in my way most of the day if my wrist was bent... say if I was typing or driving .

If the crown was at 4pm like the seiko, probably I would like it more... excuse my daughters pic but trying to point out the 4pm crown

Sorry but the crown seems to still be opened. You need to screw it in.
Old 29 April 2018, 05:04 PM   #10
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLemi View Post
And congratulations btw - like I said, I have been a Rolex guy and have the most “demand models” even if I compare the D-Blue or SD43, the FF looks just in another league.
Old 29 April 2018, 05:10 PM   #11
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
You see the crown... it sticks all the way out. It would be in my way most of the day if my wrist was bent... say if I was typing or driving.
As Rodrigo pointed out, it's a screw-down crown. It looks unscrewed in your pic. Here's a pic (not mine) of it screwed down.

JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 06:08 PM   #12
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Do it! The Fifty Fathoms is great and wears smaller than its 45mm would otherwise seem. And I've yet to see another FF in the wild.
vipereaper30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 07:42 PM   #13
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
....can't tell if serious.....

it is large, but wears very comfortably. It feels/ wears about the same as the 42mm AP ROO Diver

I love mine, buy used though....

my wrist is around 7 1/4"
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 09:39 PM   #14
Bt122
Banned

Quote:
Sorry but the crown seems to still be opened. You need to screw it in.
Lol didn’t realize this, was trying this on at the AD. Well then doesn’t bother me then. Weird they let me try i it on unscrewed

Lol
Old 30 April 2018, 02:59 AM   #15
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
As Rodrigo pointed out, it's a screw-down crown. It looks unscrewed in your pic. Here's a pic (not mine) of it screwed down.

The lume is amazing - incomparable
Old 30 April 2018, 03:00 AM   #16
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Redbulls View Post

The Fifty Fathoms is one of my favorite watches. Owned one several years ago and sold it. It was one of the few watches I regretted selling. I picked up another one about 1.5 years ago and sent it in for routine service. Now that's it's back, it's been on my wrist the entire time. I purchased a Fifty Fathoms Mil Spec in 40mm and while it's a really nice watch (I posted a thread on this) I ultimately realized that the original in 45mm is the one I like most.

A lot of times, certain watches look better in pictures then they do in person (some of you know what I mean). The Fifty Fathoms 5015 is the exact opposite. It's better in person and pics don't do it justice.

So, in the same case, you will take a Blancpain FF (45mm) over SD43 or D- Blue? I totally do
Old 30 April 2018, 06:52 PM   #17
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
So, in the same case, you will take a Blancpain FF (45mm) over SD43 or D- Blue? I totally do
I took it over the DSSD and Deep Blue, and Sub and SD4000. Being a variation on the theme, I'd likely take it over the SD43.
If I was to do it again though, I'd really like to have had the chance to try it on next to the brushed case, blue flinque dialled version and the matte titanium and new Grande Date versions. I'd plikely still have gone with the black dial, but it would have been good to compare.
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 05:55 AM   #18
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
I took it over the DSSD and Deep Blue, and Sub and SD4000. Being a variation on the theme, I'd likely take it over the SD43.
If I was to do it again though, I'd really like to have had the chance to try it on next to the brushed case, blue flinque dialled version and the matte titanium and new Grande Date versions. I'd plikely still have gone with the black dial, but it would have been good to compare.
Thank you for posting - I had read few reviews and it looks like the quality has been never a issue with this watch
Old 2 May 2018, 02:27 AM   #19
andrey_
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16700
Blancpain FF

As already been said, it is so well designed, that looks smaller and fits even small wrists.
The bezel is stunning, the dial very beautiful and the quality easy to feel (case-bezel-crown-dial).
The calibre is very sophisticated and hand worked, although difficult to achieve great accuracy, at least to my FF.
Only drawback the poor quality - compare to the watch - but otherwise nice strap, but nothing to worry about.

Recently tried a mil spec on my 17 cm wrist and felt way too small.

Old 5 May 2018, 10:22 AM   #20
flumazenil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tog TT GMT TT SD4K
FF Chrono

Even though it's 45mm it wears smaller and the balance is just right. Even for the small wrist, it's not too big.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg webblanc.JPG (235.1 KB, 1449 views)
flumazenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 10:33 AM   #21
flumazenil
"TRF" Member

Outside photo

The bezel is so unique, never seen anything else like it. It's nice that the watch is uncommon. I have never seen anyone else with one on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg webblanc2.JPG (271.1 KB, 1444 views)
Old 5 May 2018, 10:39 AM   #22
flumazenil
"TRF" Member

SD4 Comparison

Comparison with the SD4K
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webblanc3.JPG (222.4 KB, 1454 views)
Old 7 May 2018, 05:39 AM   #23
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Here's mine on a Hirsch Tiger; I love the OEM sailcloth but felt the watch would look better with heavier padding on the strap, and dug the white stitching and holes in strap:

116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 08:43 AM   #24
kbw
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I have one on the sail cloth strap, and I can noting but recommend it. It's a fantastic watch, I wanted one for 6-7 years before I finally bought one and I'm very glad I did! Despite its 45mm I don't feel that it's too large, it feels much smaller on the wrist than a 44mm Panerai for instance.
kbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 09:39 AM   #25
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Beautiful piece, even more so in RG...

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 09:47 AM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
Here's mine on a Hirsch Tiger; I love the OEM sailcloth but felt the watch would look better with heavier padding on the strap, and dug the white stitching and holes in strap:

Did that non OEM fit alright? I believe the screws/spring bars are not conventional?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 10:07 AM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
You guys are making me all itchy

I have been eyeing the 5015 and have tried it on several times recently. I love the sapphire bezel, gives it’s an almost liquid metal look.

I’m very tempted ...

I’d love to hear feedback from owners who have the bracelet option. I’ve heard the quality is top shelf, but my AD doesn’t have one to show me ...
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 11:39 AM   #28
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Preferred the blue and the smaller tribute piece, the bracelet is great . . . . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5285.jpg (81.0 KB, 1366 views)
File Type: jpg blue2.jpg (62.2 KB, 1355 views)
File Type: jpeg homage 2.jpeg (69.1 KB, 1358 views)
File Type: jpeg homage2 2.jpeg (68.9 KB, 1356 views)
Old 7 May 2018, 12:54 PM   #29
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhr View Post
Preferred the blue and the smaller tribute piece, the bracelet is great . . . . . .
If they still made the FF in 40mm, that possibly could have displaced the SubC as my grail.

Maybe.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 02:52 PM   #30
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Did that non OEM fit alright? I believe the screws/spring bars are not conventional?
The OEM strap is a 23mm which is difficult to find aftermarket, but I had read on one of the forms that some folks had used 24 mm straps successfully and so gave it a shot.

Fitment was no problem. I had to wedge it in there a bit, but it was not forcing type of deal; in fact it it went in very easily. I think it is helped by the fact that this particular strap has a rubber bottom, and so is somewhat flexible.

The spring bars are mini-hex which can be easily stripped, so you have to be careful with them. I actually bought a strap changing toolkit from Blancpain USA directly (the one without the dive strap), which works very well.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote