The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 9 July 2020, 12:21 AM   #1
RolexFan007
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM2 116680
Where does Vacheron Constantin sit in terms of Holy Trinity of watch brands and why?

Been a Rolex fan for a while... never researched or self educated on other brands...

Looking at VC Overseas, its looks great...

Whats the background on VC, what makes them so special?

Thank you in advance for the education

Old 9 July 2020, 12:43 AM   #2
Pongster
"TRF" Member

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=694748
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 12:46 AM   #3
Pongster
"TRF" Member

If the trinity is about heritage and history, then VC sits at the top being the oldest.
Old 9 July 2020, 12:56 AM   #4
raclaims
"TRF" Member

VC makes fabulous timepieces...any of the holy T will provide you with a top tier product.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 02:12 AM   #5
7sins
"TRF" Member

VC makes incredible watches

Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 06:56 AM   #6
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
VC has a rich history of High Horology since 1755. I'm all in on the new 3rd gen Overseas. Every small detail makes the difference.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 12:13 PM   #7
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Most people would say in the back seat.

Sport models I would agree, dress I think they are well ahead of AP.
Old 9 July 2020, 04:28 PM   #8
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I’ve had a VC for two months now and it’s by far the nicest watch I’ve ever owned. . . . . And I’ve owned some great watches. As well as most of the Rolex models I’ve also owned a PP 5711 blue and the VC is a better watch in my view. The brushed finishing on the 5711 is sublime I admit, but that’s as far as it goes, in all other aspects the VC wins for me.

VC has one problem - it doesn’t have the image of Patek, which in turn means it doesn’t sell over RRP. Patek (like Rolex) have nailed their image in terms of desirability that everyone wants what they can’t buy. Very very clever marketing.

Whilst I say this is VC’s problem, it’s also their great attraction. They don’t need all these famous people endorsing their watches to make them great, what they get is true watch lovers buying and wearing them. If anything they are understated and go under the radar, but if you know your watches and come across one, you’ll know immediately why they are in the holy trinity. One thing I’ve noticed with my overseas - no pictures do it justice. You try one on though and you’ll know immediately.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 06:37 PM   #9
RolexFan007
"TRF" Member

Thats pretty cool actually, will try one out at our local boutique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
I’ve had a VC for two months now and it’s by far the nicest watch I’ve ever owned. . . . . And I’ve owned some great watches. As well as most of the Rolex models I’ve also owned a PP 5711 blue and the VC is a better watch in my view. The brushed finishing on the 5711 is sublime I admit, but that’s as far as it goes, in all other aspects the VC wins for me.

VC has one problem - it doesn’t have the image of Patek, which in turn means it doesn’t sell over RRP. Patek (like Rolex) have nailed their image in terms of desirability that everyone wants what they can’t buy. Very very clever marketing.

Whilst I say this is VC’s problem, it’s also their great attraction. They don’t need all these famous people endorsing their watches to make them great, what they get is true watch lovers buying and wearing them. If anything they are understated and go under the radar, but if you know your watches and come across one, you’ll know immediately why they are in the holy trinity. One thing I’ve noticed with my overseas - no pictures do it justice. You try one on though and you’ll know immediately.
RolexFan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 06:38 PM   #10
RolexFan007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
Thank you thats exactly what I was looking for...

Old 9 July 2020, 07:02 PM   #11
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41- champagne
The bracelet design on the VC's are special. Have they got a patent on it does anyone know? Surprised it's not been ripped off.
LOWERCASE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 10:54 PM   #12
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
By far my favorite of the 3 personally.
PhilLynott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 11:13 PM   #13
Pongster
"TRF" Member

I have a personal bias for vacheron. One of my favorite law professors always used his vacheron in illustrating legal principles. Like for barter, he would say as an example trading his watch for a car. And he would remark for us not to think it’s an unfair trade as his watch was actually more valuable than the usual cars.

That image of his gold vacheron dress watch has stuck with me until now.
Old 9 July 2020, 11:47 PM   #14
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have a personal bias for vacheron. One of my favorite law professors always used his vacheron in illustrating legal principles. Like for barter, he would say as an example trading his watch for a car. And he would remark for us not to think it’s an unfair trade as his watch was actually more valuable than the usual cars.

That image of his gold vacheron dress watch has stuck with me until now.
I'd probably do the same thing if I have a VC too. Thinly vied brag imo
Old 9 July 2020, 11:49 PM   #15
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWERCASE GUY View Post
I'd probably do the same thing if I have a VC too. Thinly vied brag imo

Yup. Humble brag. Before the term was even invented. This was in the late 90s.

And i couldnt even afford a watch then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 July 2020, 01:35 AM   #16
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Some of their current ultra-high-end complications are pretty peerless, as is their finishing (see the Vacheron Constantin Les Cabinotiers Celestia Astronomical Grand Complication 3600 below). They're not just resting on their history.

I think many of the naysayers about VC being in the holy trinity take issue with the company not having a 'red hot instagram hit', and the ownership by Richemont. I don't have the slightest issue with either.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 02:07 AM   #17
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexFan007 View Post
Whats the background on VC, what makes them so special?

They have a very different philosophy than the other two. AP makes industrial watches in the best way industrial watches can be made and markets them really well. Patek has the benefit of having been a very innovative company over long stretches of its existence, in very useful ways. They legitimately built up their image as the premier purveyor of properly made useful complications. In recent years, one may however argue that they have been riding the wave more than they have been pushing it. Vacheron on the other hand is more about heritage than it is about developing new advances in watchmaking. They are the quietest of the three brands and the closest to being a curator of traditional Swiss watchmaking, or Francoswiss watchmaking to be more precise. Even when they are eventually innovative, they are so in very traditional ways (such as with the recent dual frequency perpetual) and they typically don’t communicate it very much.

To put it in simple terms, under CHF 100k, the same money will typically buy you:

- a slightly more complicated Patek, with very adequate movement finish and good value retention if you buy right;
- a slightly more on trend AP, with lesser, more industrial movement finish but often great value retention as everything is Royal Oak... or almost; or
- a slightly simpler VC with an incrementally finer and more traditional finish and often terrible value retention for the almost entire lack of hype.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 08:16 AM   #18
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Some of their current ultra-high-end complications are pretty peerless, as is their finishing (see the Vacheron Constantin Les Cabinotiers Celestia Astronomical Grand Complication 3600 below). They're not just resting on their history.

I think many of the naysayers about VC being in the holy trinity take issue with the company not having a 'red hot instagram hit', and the ownership by Richemont. I don't have the slightest issue with either.
Dang, that is some piece.
Old 10 July 2020, 10:28 AM   #19
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
For the deep pocket collector. Not to be worn or purchased for a “wrist shot”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 11:27 AM   #20
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I don’t own a VC. Would love to one day. I have handled several Overseas in person and been very impressed.

In my opinion, the whole concept of having a trinity doesn’t make sense so I’ll defer my comments on that specifically but will say that as a brand VC has my utmost respect for its remarkable collection.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 02:26 PM   #21
RolexFan007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Dang, that is some piece.
Wow is that white gold or platinum
Old 12 July 2020, 06:10 PM   #22
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexFan007 View Post
Wow is that white gold or platinum
White gold. That’s the thing about VC, though, they’re the only grande maison that still have a department that will make you anything your heart desires. This mechanical miracle was a one-off commission (for much less than an auction Paul Newman)...
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 05:28 AM   #23
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
The bracelet design on the VC's are special. Have they got a patent on it does anyone know? Surprised it's not been ripped off.
You mean the quick change system on the 3rd gen OS? If so it’s a Cartier patent I believe.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 06:29 AM   #24
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
You mean the quick change system on the 3rd gen OS? If so it’s a Cartier patent I believe.
It is not, the Santos system is pretty great too though, but unlike the VCO relies on the watch‘s lugs.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 04:49 AM   #25
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I have looked at the Overseas many times and most recently the 56

I would like to add a Vacheron to my collection someday, they are a special brand in the world of horology.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/vachero...ix-collection/
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 05:20 AM   #26
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote