The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 September 2010, 12:08 AM   #1
olivine76
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Planet Ocean
Question about the minute had precision 14060m

Question about the minute had precision.

Hi Guys, I have concern about a “new to me” submariner 14060m M serial COSC I recently purchased on TRF. The second had is precise as any other watch I have in my collection gaining nearly 2 seconds in a 24 hour day. I have however noticed that my minute had is not so process. The minute had is first of all hard to set, when I rotate it back for a precise set, the minute hand seems to tighten or bounce a little forward after I remove my fingers from the crown. Once I push the crown in and start the watch, I notice that the minute hand does not hit the minute marker precisely with every full revolution of the second hand.

Has anyone else have this issue?
olivine76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2010, 12:33 AM   #2
springbar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivine76 View Post
Once I push the crown in and start the watch, I notice that the minute hand does not hit the minute marker precisely with every full revolution of the second hand.

Has anyone else have this issue?
What I've noticed about the 14060M:

When setting the time with the second hand hacked at 12:00, park the minute hand about 1/4- to 1/3-way past the minute marker you want (in other words, a bit more than you'd think). Don't back up, or you'll have to do it again. Eyeballing the right amount takes a little bit of practice.

Once you restart the watch, the minute hand will intercept the next marker exactly 60 seconds later, and will remain aligned with the minute markers for as long as it continues to run.
springbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2010, 12:40 AM   #3
olivine76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbar View Post
What I've noticed about the 14060M:

When setting the time with the second hand hacked at 12:00, park the minute hand about 1/4- to 1/3-way past the minute marker you want (in other words, a bit more than you'd think). Don't back up, or you'll have to do it again. Eyeballing the right amount takes a little bit of practice.

Once you restart the watch, the minute hand will intercept the next marker exactly 60 seconds later, and will remain aligned with the minute markers for as long as it continues to run.
I will give it a shot. Thank you very much for the help.
Old 3 September 2010, 01:18 AM   #4
watchmaker
TechXpert

It is best to set the time going forwards. You can (obviously) set the time back, but if you do, you tend to get a gap like you have described. The backlash in the gears must be taken up, otherwise you end up with the watch running for 20-30 seconds, without the hand moving.

Hope that helps
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2010, 01:24 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You must also recognise that the minute hand is just pointing at one of 60 painted lines around the perimiter of a painted disc... It is not calibrated to be precise or exact around the dial......
Old 3 September 2010, 01:51 AM   #6
olivine76
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys, it appears that setting the minute moving forward and slightly ahead worked...sigh.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 3 September 2010, 02:07 AM   #7
Hansch99
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M, 116200
My 14060M has that, too, where the minute hand can be difficult to set. I agree that setting it forward is best. Wind the minute hand back five minutes or so, then more precisely go forward to the mark you want.
Hansch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2010, 03:03 AM   #8
Bdel
"TRF" Member

I have the same problem although it is exagerated with my U-Boat. The drive train backlash is almost a full minute off. Setting the time forward seems to do the trick.
Collection: Yachtmaster TT, Milgauss, Explorer II, SeaDweller, Air King, Lange #1, BR03-92, Panerai PAM 112, Omega Planet Ocean, Corum Admirals Cup, Ball Engineer, U-boat Flight Deck, Longines Silver Arrow, Hamilton Ventura,etc...
Bdel is offline   Reply With Quote