The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 May 2018, 09:19 AM   #1
aduong
"TRF" Member

Nauti Dilemma - Pass or wire

Hello All,

Have a dilemma, I put 3 Nautilus on a List 2 months ago and I could take or pass getting first choice for them. Also planned to Purchase at end of year so I have a sense of accomplishment vs buying for the sake of availability.

5712g, 5726A strap & 5726/1A black dial Bracelet in no particular order to AD.

Well they called and a 5712g is in.. take or pass for the others.?

I could always buy a 5712g later in the year or next year if time is not right, but between the models, I Already have a 5711 White already and thought I would want a strap nautilus but find myself not wearing my strap watches much and liking bracelet. I do have smaller wrist and 5711 sits well, think a thicker 5726 might be "different'"

Also have a Breguet Moonphase power reserve on black alligator strap- Seems so similar to 5712g. and last not really waterproof only 60M compared to 120M.

My wife would not be okay with buying more than 1 timepiece in a year and I would feel guilty- Kind of excessive not including all the Stuff I buy throughout the year. Thank you for reading my rambling considerations. All thoughts appreciated!
aduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 09:38 AM   #2
Erod24
"TRF" Member

I would get the 5712 it’s an amazing watch.
It also comes with a rubber/ all weather strap.
I just pick up a 5712r and it’s great. Also have a blue 5711 and i don’t think they over lap in the collection.
Erod24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 10:00 AM   #3
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Personally I dont like a Naut on strap but that is just my opinion. Out of the three I would choose 5726/1A. Why not hold out for 5712/1A?

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 10:00 AM   #4
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I would pass on the 5712g. Get the 5712 in SS or 5712r.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 10:42 AM   #5
aduong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Personally I dont like a Naut on strap but that is just my opinion. Out of the three I would choose 5726/1A. Why not hold out for 5712/1A?
Well, I actually asked for the 5712 ss but my AD said it is so many ppl on wait list can’t add anymore. They said get another nautilus piece on the list first ( have bought 2 pieces from them already) and we can get on the 5712 list. Also quite frankly she said it makes more sense to buy the others for a little more and more easier to obtain. Makes sense to me and I am not super crazy about a 5712, more so it was the 2nd cheapest...
Now we are talking 40k -a lot more choices and don’t feel so great paying 20% more for same thing. Might as well get something that hasn’t been increased yet.

The crazy thing is, I wanted to buy another piece and thought 33k.. sigh! Then don’t know how I talked my self or got talked into spending 44k???

Then sometimes I step back and reflect? That’s a pretty decent car for that price? wTH am I doing? It if I don’t buy it, I will eventually do so anyway but it will be more expensive then!

So bottom line is I will buy something.. I am somewhat concerned the fact that it is a sports watch but can’t swim with it!!
Old 20 May 2018, 10:46 AM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I like most the 5726/1a black or white dial. Strap is best with gold.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 10:48 AM   #7
aduong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
I would pass on the 5712g. Get the 5712 in SS or 5712r.
I do like how the 5712 looks. Pretty artistic compared to the straight and arrow 5726. One last thing I liked about the 5712 vs 5726 and my white 5711. It is not as easy to read or see the Patek Philippe written on the face. That way I don’t have to be as cautious of the watch being noticed or known when on meetings etc. as 99 percent of people do t recognize the watch. At least in Midwest.

Also I wear my watches in rotation pretty frequently and do t even keep my dates accurate which the AC’s function would be defeated!
Old 20 May 2018, 10:48 AM   #8
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Nauti Dilemma - Pass or wire

I prefer Nautilus on bracelet. So I’d wait for the 5726/1a.
Old 20 May 2018, 11:10 AM   #9
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

I’d wait for 5726 on bracelet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:22 AM   #10
turborolex
"TRF" Member

+1 for bracelet. I believe a Nautilus is a Nautilus because of how the case and the bracelet create the “iconic” look.

To me, when I look at a Nautilus on a strap, I feel it’s missing the bracelet and it doesn’t look right.

I don’t mean to offend anyone who has a Nautilus on a strap, that’s just my opinion.

For that price point, I would only buy what I like and also, from what I see, strap models are not that easy to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 May 2018, 09:27 PM   #11
aduong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turborolex View Post
+1 for bracelet. I believe a Nautilus is a Nautilus because of how the case and the bracelet create the “iconic” look.

To me, when I look at a Nautilus on a strap, I feel it’s missing the bracelet and it doesn’t look right.

I don’t mean to offend anyone who has a Nautilus on a strap, that’s just my opinion.

For that price point, I would only buy what I like and also, from what I see, strap models are not that easy to move.

I think 5726 bracelet it is. I agree, the bracelet is part of the iconic design.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully no price increase before it comes in.
Old 21 May 2018, 01:22 AM   #12
chrome168
"TRF" Member

Correct me if I’m wrong
Gérald Genta designed the Nautilus with a bracelet..... period.
chrome168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 01:24 AM   #13
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
nautilus in steel on bracelet for me.
Old 21 May 2018, 01:24 AM   #14
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

pass.
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 01:36 AM   #15
onmyhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by turborolex View Post

I share the same opinion.
For me,Nautilus with bracelet is a package.
onmyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 01:47 AM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
this. exactly
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 03:22 AM   #17
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Bracelet choice

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 12:21 AM   #18
gaeleus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aduong View Post
Hello All,

Have a dilemma, I put 3 Nautilus on a List 2 months ago and I could take or pass getting first choice for them. Also planned to Purchase at end of year so I have a sense of accomplishment vs buying for the sake of availability.

5712g, 5726A strap & 5726/1A black dial Bracelet in no particular order to AD.

Well they called and a 5712g is in.. take or pass for the others.?

I could always buy a 5712g later in the year or next year if time is not right, but between the models, I Already have a 5711 White already and thought I would want a strap nautilus but find myself not wearing my strap watches much and liking bracelet. I do have smaller wrist and 5711 sits well, think a thicker 5726 might be "different'"

Also have a Breguet Moonphase power reserve on black alligator strap- Seems so similar to 5712g. and last not really waterproof only 60M compared to 120M.

My wife would not be okay with buying more than 1 timepiece in a year and I would feel guilty- Kind of excessive not including all the Stuff I buy throughout the year. Thank you for reading my rambling considerations. All thoughts appreciated!
Question for you . Why would you put your name on a list for 3 watches if your are not ready to pull the trigger? If you have to ask on a forum, can you really afford these water ches
gaeleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 10:56 AM   #19
aduong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaeleus View Post
Question for you . Why would you put your name on a list for 3 watches if your are not ready to pull the trigger? If you have to ask on a forum, can you really afford these water ches

Gal,

First question is fair. I have a good relationship with my AD and knowing that i am flexible on models since 5712 is such a long wait when i asked and looking to buy a piece before year end, I was told to put 3 pieces on the list as they do not know when they arrive and what order. I also get first dibs since they know my purchases history on top of wiring a deposit.

Second question - Don't know how to answer such an out of context question??? Seems like everyone else was sharp enough to understand the dilemma.

Further clarification:

The dilemma is: which ones out of the 3 should I pick given different qualities and is the 5712G a good choice or rare prompting me to purchase now vs my original year end timeline.

Timing is not about the ability to purchase, but making a mindful purchase with me self disciplining my spending... pointing out the fact we are buying timepieces the price of decent cars and should be mindful to which ones and self impose some rules for myself. Not buy as if it were a pack of gum.