The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 16 October 2017, 08:50 AM   #421
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiancekofb View Post
Nope, but I was at this very AD a year ago the exact same time and there were no such rules. Was contemplating buying the same watch at that time. But good I didn’t, I bought another piece. Different AD with no such rules. Much better piece in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel your pain but I don't think their has been any hypocricy here given the difference in scenarios. Your question seemed rhetorical "if this is a different scenario" but I think the true answer is that it is different.
Old 16 October 2017, 08:54 AM   #422
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
I feel your pain but I don't think their has been any hypocricy here given the difference in scenarios. Your question seemed rhetorical "if this is a different scenario" but I think the true answer is that it is different.
Some similarities in respect to the business practices. But not as serious as OPs accusations. I mean it's not big deal, it was a ordinary SS Rolex. I would never set foot in that shop again, as I would imagine OP and many others with the AD mentioned in this thread.
Old 16 October 2017, 08:57 AM   #423
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
I have been to Govebrg's in Philly a number of times, and negotiated with them about a couple of watches, but have never closed a deal with them. I have always found better deals elsewhere.
Old 16 October 2017, 09:06 AM   #424
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.Golf View Post
I totally agree, 100%. However this has deteriorated from the original issue of the OP not receiving his watch It has transitioned into them selling new watches as preowned as capitalising on a double dip whereby they make the original margin plus a "demand surge" over MSRP.

Has anyone anyone actually have any evidence where they bought a LNIB and the papers were from Govberg and dated the date of the so called "used" sale? If there is evidence to support this it would be most condemning.
That is exactly what they are doing with the NYE pieces. They haven't had the papers filled out from Geneva. They are using the Grey Market sales to set the selling prices in their RETAIL DEPARTMENT part of the store. This is strictly against any retail policy for any brand that I am aware of in the USA. The MSRP set by the wholeseller is what is contractually bound. It's not the "in the front, out the back, on to the pre-owned section" but it is basically the same greed, unethical, and wrongful practice against Patek's dealers licensing none the less.

These watches should have been filled out months ago by "the largest US new and pre-owned watch dealer".
Old 16 October 2017, 09:13 AM   #425
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.Golf View Post
I sold them two watches, great references I purchased while travelling in South America. I got a great price and with the F/X I owned them really right. Both in the plastic and brown boxes never opened. Sold them to Govberg that way. They listed and sold them the same way I shipped to them. Papers obviously had the other dealer on them. They do get watches from others to sell brand new in plastic, this is the point. Is there anyone who has purchased one of these watches that had Govberg as the AD and the sale date was the same date on the certificate as the date they bought it preowned?
Yes this happens as well which has been discussed by me and others. It's perfectly fine and what Grey dealers love to see come their way when it's a hot piece. But when they pulled the pieces we questioned that was really a telling sign to me.
Old 16 October 2017, 10:06 AM   #426
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Has anyone here seen Hamilton ? It is excellent and I highly recommend you put it on your bucket list (Would recommend you listen to the soundtrack before going).

Back to the discussion...
Old 16 October 2017, 10:38 AM   #427
Jason36
"TRF" Member

Counsel must have advised everyone’s favorite AD to relist all the sealed pieces on eBay or someone junior did not get the memo....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Patek-Philip...AAAOSw3H1Z4-f8

Will it last? Or is it a subset to make their case later?
Old 16 October 2017, 11:15 AM   #428
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
Has anyone here seen Hamilton ? It is excellent and I highly recommend you put it on your bucket list (Would recommend you listen to the soundtrack before going).

Back to the discussion...

Loved Hamilton. Saw it in New York.
Old 16 October 2017, 02:59 PM   #429
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason36 View Post
Counsel must have advised everyone’s favorite AD to relist all the sealed pieces on eBay or someone junior did not get the memo....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Patek-Philip...AAAOSw3H1Z4-f8

Will it last? Or is it a subset to make their case later?
its the same one, well same pics at least of the one that was on their website but then all of a sudden was changed to "out of stock" which we knew it wasn't. Its still on eBay, so they have it. It still looks new, but because its technically preowned they can sell it on eBay or their website. If it was still considered new they couldn't do that.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 17 October 2017, 02:49 AM   #430
Socal to az
Banned

Does anyone have emails of the owners? I tried Brian@govberg.com and it bounced back.

TY
Old 17 October 2017, 03:32 AM   #431
drmovement
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex mk2 red sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
Does anyone have emails of the owners? I tried Brian@govberg.com and it bounced back.

TY
sending to you via PM
Old 17 October 2017, 03:33 AM   #432
Socal to az
Banned

Thank you everyone!
Old 17 October 2017, 03:44 AM   #433
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

TY

you must be buying the 5711 they added today https://www.govbergwatches.com/shop/...-57111a-011-3/. Continues the trend though of every over retail PP model having the exact same full set including large shipping box

or maybe the 5524g the they re listed after saying it was out of stock when this thread got going.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 17 October 2017, 03:54 AM   #434
jkf2112
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
The hype surrounding this watch has been unlike anything I've ever seen in my 10 Years of collecting. I am curious what some members experiences have been in trying to procure this piece. My goal of this post is to vent some frustration and get recommendations for a new AD to start a relationship with.
I have known what used to be "My AD" for 10 years. I was basically introduced to watches through them and bought brands such as Panerai, Rolex, Patek and also referred some friends and family throughout the years and helped the staff sell some pieces as well. I found out that the World Exhibition of Watches would be held in NYC when I was invited to a Patek Minute Repeater Event at HSWA that my AD's store mgr/minority owner kindly invited me to. While at lunch on a break during the event I was sitting next to the Patek sales rep (Jim is amazing!) and he mentioned there would be some special pieces being made for the US market only to celebrate the Exhibition. After the lunch, My AD made a point to say to me "Be sure to set some money aside for one of those special exhibition pieces."
Let's fast forward 10 months and the Exhibition is almost upon Us. In that time period, I had constantly been telling My AD that I definitely would like a piece to remember the Exhibition by, regardless of what it may be. I was reassured no problem and that they would take good care of me. Two days before the opening of the Exhibition, Esquire Magazine shows this special Pilot watch confirming this would be available to the US Market. I texted My AD immediately and let them know that this is the piece that has just leaked and I will gladly pay in advance to procure mine. Myself and a few watch friends as well as our wives all met in NYC and had a wonderful weekend and took in the Exhibition and a special Private Purist Pro Event on site as well. When I returned from the Exhibition, I spoke to the store mgr and sales associate numerous times as I considered them close friends as we've known each other for years and even hung out socially reiterating how badly I wanted this watch. I received an update in August via voicemail from the store mgr stating "I am very confident we'll have the watch on your wrist and am being told by Patek sometime in September." Mid-September comes and I noticed several incomings on the forums and Instagram and was anticipating the arrival of mine. I received a text message from my sales associate stating, "Hi Mike, talked to (mgr's name), you are definitely getting the piece, we would like a substantial jewelry purchase along with the purchase of the watch. The watch is being sold for $58000 on Chrono 24." When I asked what a substantial jewelry purchase meant I was told somewhere between $22,000-30,000 on jewelry in addition to the purchase of the watch which was $21,547. In the 10 years of knowing the staff at this store on a personal as well as professional level I had never been given such an absurd request. I politely told them that I had no use for jewelry but would be willing to purchase a watch such as a 5712/1A or 5164A and should someone already be on the list for those references I would have no problem waiting and prepay for either as well as the 5522A that I was told I was definitely getting via voicemail and through text message confirmations. A couple days had passed and I assumed they were checking on the availability of the watches I offered to purchase in order to get the 5522A, but instead I received a random phone call from (an out of state majority owner) who I met a few years ago for about 5 minutes. He said he wanted to introduce himself to me and let me know that I would not be getting the piece and also regarding any sports models it would be at least a year for any type of Nautilus or Aquanaut variation but if there was anything else I needed to please reach out to him on his cell phone.
To say that this whole experience was insulting would be a huge understatement. People I have known for over 10 years tried to extort money from me and then had a complete stranger who doesn't even work at the store contact me to tell me sorry pal you aren't getting the watch and I can't sell you any sport watches for at least a year but if there is anything else you need then I'm your man. SMH! I let Patek know about this incident and they said they would take it up with the Retailer. They also let me know that my name was in fact never even submitted by the AD for this piece which I found jaw dropping. The idea of a retailer guaranteeing a piece then later saying you can have it under the condition you purchase an additional $22,000-30,000 in jewelry was distasteful and something I definitely would not associate with Patek as I truly love the brand and all it stands for. It was my understanding that Mr. Stern created this piece as a Thank You to existing US customers and he had also hoped it would possibly go to new owners as well.
These are certainly 1st world problems and in the end it is just a watch but it sickens me when retailers choose to act in such poor form. At this point the only thing left for Me is to work with another AD and start a new relationship. Any recommendations of honest and ethical ADs that any members could vouch for would be greatly appreciated. Mr. Stern and HSWA if you happen to read this, Please know that my love for the brand has not changed due to this unfortunate incident and I look forward to buying my next piece some time in the future. I may sound like a broken record having said this many times but I truly believe this...The only thing better than the watches are the people behind them.

Kind Regards,

Mike

***I may not have come away with anything from the US Exhibition but was fortunate enough to get my Salmon 3940 LE made available for the previous London Exhibition***

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
First, let me extend my sincerest apologies for how you were treated. Purchasing a luxury timepiece--or any luxury good--should be a wonderful, fulfilling experience.

If you need another AD to work with I am happy to assist you. You can PM me for details, but I work for a dealer and am close by you. Obviously, that would not help you much with your 5522, but I am happy to provide you assistance in the future for other purchases.

Again, my sincerest apologies for your bad experience. That is NOT how this is intended to go.
Old 17 October 2017, 04:15 AM   #435
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

I'm definitely getting a 5522A, Wait a minute I'm not getting a 5522A?!?!?!?!

Quote:

TY

From Brian’s YouTube videos:

As an aside, Tim Mosso is an absolute encyclopaedia of Watches and watch info. His videos are always worth watching.
Old 17 October 2017, 12:34 PM   #436
remz07twos
"TRF" Member

Really hoping for a follow up so we know what comes of this.
Old 17 October 2017, 12:44 PM   #437
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
From Brian’s YouTube videos:

As an aside, Tim Mosso is an absolute encyclopaedia of Watches and watch info. His videos are always worth watching.
Thanks for the info on Tim
Old 19 October 2017, 05:36 AM   #438
Socal to az
Banned

So now what? This thread fades into oblivion? Govberg pays no price and continues to screw others?
Old 19 October 2017, 06:02 AM   #439
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
So now what? This thread fades into oblivion? Govberg pays no price and continues to screw others?
Were you expecting more? Maybe an occupy govberg grassroots movement? No showers, signs made of cardboard, white people with dreads, hacky sack games, real crappy acoustic guitar guy in the corner?

I'll head down to union square and get the troops fired up! We meet at Dawn!

Old 19 October 2017, 06:05 AM   #440
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

really didn’t expect much to happen. it’s not like patek couldn’t see what was going on with one of their biggest dealers. it was plain as day on their website forever.
Old 19 October 2017, 06:12 AM   #441
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Field Trip?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_732.jpg (101.1 KB, 432 views)
Old 19 October 2017, 06:30 AM   #442
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
Field Trip?
I can see us with Pateks on our wrists and pitch forks and torches.
Old 19 October 2017, 06:37 AM   #443
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Quote:
The blasphemy!
Old 19 October 2017, 07:19 AM   #444
Socal to az
Banned

That’s it! I’m putting down my Pinot Grigot and having my driver go the the store to buy post cards so my house keeper can make protest signs!

Tired of Govberg trying to screw us little guys!!
Old 19 October 2017, 07:27 AM   #445
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
That’s it! I’m putting down my Pinot Grigot and having my driver go the the store to buy post cards so my house keeper can make protest signs!

Not sure why, but PP seems to attract people with a sense of humor. So I will hang here for a bit, until I get the inevitable boot for being a poseur/pretender.
Old 19 October 2017, 09:11 AM   #446
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:

Sauvignon Blanc is the rage but in my opinion Pinot Grigot is worth a look.
Old 19 October 2017, 09:53 AM   #447
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Sauvignon Blanc is the rage but in my opinion Pinot Grigot is worth a look.
I had a nice Malbec the other day. It was from a small vineyard called Govberg. Year 5522. Heard that was a great year for Malbecs.
Old 19 October 2017, 10:09 AM   #448
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OCCUPY GOVBERG! Camp out and protest until they have their Patek AD status removed.
Old 19 October 2017, 11:36 AM   #449
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
OCCUPY GOVBERG! Camp out and protest until they have their Patek AD status removed.
Can I hire someone to camp out and protest for me? I’m too busy drinking wine and staring at my 5522.
Old 19 October 2017, 12:04 PM   #450
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Can I hire someone to camp out and protest for me? I’m too busy drinking wine and staring at my 5522.
I know a guy in philly who works for cash.