The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 6 August 2017, 07:33 PM   #1
hua_qiu
"TRF" Member

GMT II 3186 movement mushy crown action

I hope I ask the question in the right forum. Otherwise, feel free to move this post.

I have a BLNR works perfectly in terms of time keeping that's about 1s/d. However the crown action feel mushy when pulling from the winding position(1) to hour setting position(2). By mushy I mean there isn't a very clear click when pulling from position (1) to position (2). Often it felt the crown only pulled half way and make me uncertain whether it is completely in position (2) or not.

However, despite the mushy feel, it doesn't seem affect the hour setting in position (2). That is I can advance and reverse the hour hands without trouble.

Further, pulling the crown form position (2) to hacking position (3) seems crispy and defined.

I have two other 3135 movement watch, both has very clear and defined click when pulling the crown from position (1) to (2)

Research on internet led me to believe the issue may relate to the setting lever. But as a non watchmaker, I'd like to ask you opinion

1. Based on the symptom, do you think there is a problem with the movement, or all 3186 movements behavior like this?
2. Do you think I need to send the watch for service immediatly or I can wait until scheduled service due. It is just under 4 years old and out of warranty.

Thanks in advance
hua_qiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 08:59 AM   #2
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
I have a 5 week-old BLNR and I've noticed the same. It's losing about a second a day and the crown positions are hard to click into. I put it down to the watch being brand new? But perhaps more experienced GMT owners can weigh in.

What I've found is that it takes a few tries, even to pull it out to the outermost position to lock the second hand and change the minute & GMT hands.

Even my 17 year-old Yachtie is a bit tricky though much less so.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 02:31 AM   #3
RonSwanson
"TRF" Member

Since position 2 engages two complications, it engages a bit ambiguously. It essentially has to move the keyless works in place to interface with the date as well and the gmt/hour. This increased complication is why the crown doesn't snap into every position as simply as a 3135, because there is more going on.
RonSwanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 04:15 AM   #4
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
I had a similar problem with a 5513 Sub a while back although I realise it's a different movement etc. Problem was eventually discovered with the stem, though it took a couple of goes to fix it. I would still be very careful when setting it etc- just get the sense that it's a bit 'delicate'!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 12:56 AM   #5
SeaDwellerBund
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4000 Steel&Gold
hour quickset on my BLNR is soft but defined. GMT set position 3 is stiff getting into, comparatively. No concern in my opinion, as long as it feels the same every time, no play, no looseness, its new...
SeaDwellerBund is offline   Reply With Quote