The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 October 2017, 11:33 AM   #1
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
When did you first start down the Patek road?

Hi folks,

Although I've always had a fine appreciation for watches it's really been the last 5-6 years that I've been serious about collecting and learning about this crazy addiction. Actually I can tell you the exact date, 8/10/2011, the day I joined TRF

Ive been all over the globe when it comes to brands and it's been a very fun journey discovering what I like and what I dislike.

For all the various brands that I've owned I've always clung to Rolex as my "core". But recently I've felt that I have acquired all that I need from Rolex and I've been really drawn to what Patek has to offer.

I was lucky enough to acquire a 5711 white dial from my AD recently. I hate to say this but I just wasn't able to bond with it. I didn't even post an incoming because I knew it wasn't a keeper.

Since then I've tried on a 5712 and a 5146 and I really loved everything about those watches. I'm pretty sure my next watch will be the 5712 or maybe the 5712r (or both) and I'd like to acquire the 5146r later on.

I bet many of you have gone down a similar path (or maybe not) and I'd be interested to hear when in your watch collecting journey did you turn to Patek? How has your collection changed since then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 October 2017, 11:55 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Hi folks,

Although I've always had a fine appreciation for watches it's really been the last 5-6 years that I've been serious about collecting and learning about this crazy addiction. Actually I can tell you the exact date, 8/10/2011, the day I joined TRF

Ive been all over the globe when it comes to brands and it's been a very fun journey discovering what I like and what I dislike.

For all the various brands that I've owned I've always clung to Rolex as my "core". But recently I've felt that I have acquired all that I need from Rolex and I've been really drawn to what Patek has to offer.

I was lucky enough to acquire a 5711 white dial from my AD recently. I hate to say this but I just wasn't able to bond with it. I didn't even post an incoming because I knew it wasn't a keeper.

Since then I've tried on a 5712 and a 5146 and I really loved everything about those watches. I'm pretty sure my next watch will be the 5712 or maybe the 5712r (or both) and I'd like to acquire the 5146r later on.

I bet many of you have gone down a similar path (or maybe not) and I'd be interested to hear when in your watch collecting journey did you turn to basica? How has your collection changed since then?

My collecting journey isn't worth repeating but I went from Rolex to AP to Patek back to Rolex back to AP back to Rolex back to AP now looking at adding some Patek

TL;DR I like Rolex, AP and Patek and went 5167 > 5711 for Patek.
Old 12 October 2017, 12:06 PM   #3
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
My collecting journey isn't worth repeating but I went from Rolex to AP to Patek back to Rolex back to AP back to Rolex back to AP now looking at adding some Patek

TL;DR I like Rolex, AP and Patek and went 5167 > 5711 for Patek.

So the 5167 is next for you?

Old 12 October 2017, 12:10 PM   #4
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
I just join the Patek Philippe club recently.....

I am on the same boat as you are not to long ago....

Before I bought my 5146R, I have try on the 5712 which to me the dial look too busy & not a clean look like the 5146R....

I love my 5146R.....^^^..... Can't go wrong with the classic clean look.....

Incoming icon grail: Patek Philippe...!!!

...^^^... Please click above link for the whole story...^^^...

Good luck with your choice....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 02:39 PM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
So the 5167 is next for you?

Maybe. It's one watch i definitely regret selling.

I meant to say I went 5167 first then 5711 second. Honestly when I sold them neither were hyped and I figured I could grab another at any time. Furthermore I was expecting to get an updated nautilus for the 40th.

Current Pateks that I want are the 5168, 5522 and some day 5170G.
Old 12 October 2017, 11:19 PM   #6
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Started off with a 5296G. Beautiful watch but I quickly came to the conclusion I am not a strap guy. Traded it on a 5167 with bracelet. Love the watch so much that I decided to sell off other Rolex watches and use the Aquanaut as my daily and only watch.

This habit is time consuming and expensive. I figured that if I am lucky enough to own a Patek, why not use it daily as intended. There is something really satisfying about bonding with one watch every day.
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 01:42 AM   #7
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
When did you first start down the Patek road?

I’m honestly not in the same league as most of you guys but guess many done the same path at the start.

I’ve basically gone from Omega > Rolex over the last 8 years, had a good dabble through the Rolex SS range, (became a bit bored of glossy ceramic Rolex) and through this forum basically decided to consolidate all into two sporty PPs.

Starting to appreciate the more high end pieces that did not appeal previously which is worrying haha

Found all these pics scattered across my phone so chucked them in order from start to finish (now down to the 2 PPs)

kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 02:00 AM   #8
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
I’m honestly not in the same league as most of you guys but guess many done the same path at the start.

I’ve basically gone from Omega > Rolex over the last 8 years, had a good dabble through the Rolex SS range, (became a bit bored of glossy ceramic Rolex) and through this forum basically decided to consolidate all into two sporty PPs.

Starting to appreciate the more high end pieces that did not appeal previously which is worrying haha

Found all these pics scattered across my phone so chucked them in order from start to finish (now down to the 2 PPs)

Nice watches collection...

Old 13 October 2017, 02:23 AM   #9
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
All gone mate except the 2 PPs and a Seamaster as a beater!!

Fun journey but don't think I miss any (yet!!!)
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 02:51 AM   #10
JayG
"TRF" Member

Watch: FP Journe CB/ 5711
Had a fascination with watches a long time. However, the Patek train really started rolling in the last year or so. Got the 5205g first, than the 5711 blue. Now I'm after a 5712r, I was going to flip the 5205g for the 5712r, realized with this boards input , just can't sell a Patek.
In general ,though my collection has morphed into Patek and a couple of independent watchmakers FP Journe Chronometre Bleu and Parmigiani Fleurier Hebdomadaire.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 03:07 AM   #11
remz07twos
"TRF" Member

I had a thing for watches for a little bit and bought a Tudor Pelagos because I loved the lume. One of my coworkers mentioned PP and the rest was history. Now I have a new job and I share a lot of my passion with my coworkers, one has a stamped 5396r. I always went back and forth on what I wanted, dress or causal, but I think the 5167 is the right one for me. I would like a white dial nautilus but prices are stupid
remz07twos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 03:17 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I admired PP and AP before joining this forum but never thought I'd own one, or indeed a PM Rolex, but this forum is the great enabling catalyst and after a couple of years here I then bought each of these in consecutive years. Next year Lange will be top of my list.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 03:29 AM   #13
tng11
"TRF" Member

I just joined at the end of August.

My horological journey started out with Omega and JLC more than 12 years ago. Moved into the haute horology world really quickly, and have been into AP for more than 10 years. Patek never really caught my eye until this year - I always thought their designs were too conservative or "old" for me. I've always admired Patek from afar, but there was never one in my price range that I said "damn, I must have that watch."

Until I actually laid hands on a 5167A, then the rest became history. I used to be a huge fan of big, bulky and bold watches (hence my affection for the AP Offshore), but I've come to realize I like thinner and better fitting pieces around 40mm. I'm now seeking out a 5712/1A, and eventually, I hope to add a Patek annual calendar to the collection.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 05:46 AM   #14
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
I just join the Patek Philippe club recently.....

I am on the same boat as you are not to long ago....

Before I bought my 5146R, I have try on the 5712 which to me the dial look too busy & not a clean look like the 5146R....

I love my 5146R.....^^^..... Can't go wrong with the classic clean look.....

Incoming icon grail: Patek Philippe...!!!

...^^^... Please click above link for the whole story...^^^...

Good luck with your choice....

Man that's a beautiful watch. Congrats on acquiring it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post
Started off with a 5296G. Beautiful watch but I quickly came to the conclusion I am not a strap guy. Traded it on a 5167 with bracelet. Love the watch so much that I decided to sell off other Rolex watches and use the Aquanaut as my daily and only watch.

This habit is time consuming and expensive. I figured that if I am lucky enough to own a Patek, why not use it daily as intended. There is something really satisfying about bonding with one watch every day.
Can't argue with a daily Patek. I wonder how many other folks have sold off all their others after moving to PP?

Quote:

You really do cover all the boxes with those two. Very nice!

Quote:
All gone mate except the 2 PPs and a Seamaster as a beater!!

Fun journey but don't think I miss any (yet!!!)
This seems to be a trend. Buy a PP and sell everything (or almost) else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Had a fascination with watches a long time. However, the Patek train really started rolling in the last year or so. Got the 5205g first, than the 5711 blue. Now I'm after a 5712r, I was going to flip the 5205g for the 5712r, realized with this boards input , just can't sell a Patek.
In general ,though my collection has morphed into Patek and a couple of independent watchmakers FP Journe Chronometre Bleu and Parmigiani Fleurier Hebdomadaire.
Sounds like you're firmly on the Patek train

Quote:
Originally Posted by remz07twos View Post
I had a thing for watches for a little bit and bought a Tudor Pelagos because I loved the lume. One of my coworkers mentioned PP and the rest was history. Now I have a new job and I share a lot of my passion with my coworkers, one has a stamped 5396r. I always went back and forth on what I wanted, dress or causal, but I think the 5167 is the right one for me. I would like a white dial nautilus but prices are stupid
Can't go wrong with a 5167. That seems to be a popular first Patek. That and the 5711. Both super sporty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
I just joined at the end of August.

My horological journey started out with Omega and JLC more than 12 years ago. Moved into the haute horology world really quickly, and have been into AP for more than 10 years. Patek never really caught my eye until this year - I always thought their designs were too conservative or "old" for me. I've always admired Patek from afar, but there was never one in my price range that I said "damn, I must have that watch."

Until I actually laid hands on a 5167A, then the rest became history. I used to be a huge fan of big, bulky and bold watches (hence my affection for the AP Offshore), but I've come to realize I like thinner and better fitting pieces around 40mm. I'm now seeking out a 5712/1A, and eventually, I hope to add a Patek annual calendar to the collection.
Yeah 40mm (ish) is my sweet spot too. Everything I own is pretty much around that size. I could see myself with the 5712 and an annual calendar also.
Old 13 October 2017, 05:53 AM   #15
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=368299

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 05:57 AM   #16
remz07twos
"TRF" Member

JRS:

I tend to be of the sportier type. I wore my Pelagos on a person with my suit a lot. And I currently wear a watch on leather from the company I work for. The more rugged watch is definitely for me. I’m also not cautious at all so the 5711 is out for that reason too. I’ll probably try to get a stamped /1a and then buy the other strap, just wish there were some color options
remz07twos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 08:21 AM   #17
SSDAYTONAHULK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
I started in college with a TAG Carrera when it first came out in 2004-05. From there I started working, saving money and bought a SS white dial Daytona in 2012... loves it so much I got a sub green dial.... fast forward to 2015 and my business was doing well, but didn’t want to just get “another Rolex” so I “jumped higher” and got 5712R.... loved it for about 6 months but just didn’t sit right on my wrist... ended up trading it for a 5980/1A blue dial and wear that as my daily....switching off every so often... now I’m at a point, where I’m not sure what to do... do I trade up and get a 5070? 5170? Or are those to fragile for a daily?
SSDAYTONAHULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 10:22 AM   #18
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
I started my watch journey 15 years ago when I bought my GMT Master II to celebrate the birth of my first son. I wore that faithfully for about 6-7 years and then started dabbling into some lesser watch brands (Corum, Baume & Mercier, Panerai, etc.) and wore the GMT on more formal occasions and found I ended up not wearing it all that often because I had others as beaters. I ended up getting my VC Patrimony as my first step into haute horlogerie and as my dress watch. I also came to the realization that I preferred smaller and more iconic watches. I got rid of the lesser watches and ended up buying the 5146g about 3-4 years ago and have focused on having a very balanced collection in terms of function, color, metal, vintage, etc. I only have brand double-up with Rolex (GMT and Sub) and am looking at adding another Patek with a blue-faced Gondolo. I only look to add iconic watches that I could not imagine selling and that I wouldn't hesitate to strap on and leave the Patek white gold annual calendar on winder.

It has been a great journey and I happy to be part of this wonderful forum and associated with the members here (although you guys have really cost me a lot of money!)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Collection_resized.jpeg (273.7 KB, 247 views)
Old 13 October 2017, 10:34 AM   #19
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
It is true you are not in the same league as us, you are an order of magnitude above us.

Quote:

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 11:24 AM   #20
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Nice collection sir! Nice, hell stunning!!! I especially like that Speedmaster.

Thanks for posting.
Mark

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 11:33 AM   #21
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirish19 View Post
I started my watch journey 15 years ago when I bought my GMT Master II to celebrate the birth of my first son. I wore that faithfully for about 6-7 years and then started dabbling into some lesser watch brands (Corum, Baume & Mercier, Panerai, etc.) and wore the GMT on more formal occasions and found I ended up not wearing it all that often because I had others as beaters. I ended up getting my VC Patrimony as my first step into haute horlogerie and as my dress watch. I also came to the realization that I preferred smaller and more iconic watches. I got rid of the lesser watches and ended up buying the 5146g about 3-4 years ago and have focused on having a very balanced collection in terms of function, color, metal, vintage, etc. I only have brand double-up with Rolex (GMT and Sub) and am looking at adding another Patek with a blue-faced Gondolo. I only look to add iconic watches that I could not imagine selling and that I wouldn't hesitate to strap on and leave the Patek white gold annual calendar on winder.

It has been a great journey and I happy to be part of this wonderful forum and associated with the members here (although you guys have really cost me a lot of money!)...

I love every one one of your watches. Very nice and balanced collection. I have some work to do on mine.

Old 13 October 2017, 12:12 PM   #22
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I love every one one of your watches. Very nice and balanced collection. I have some work to do on mine.

Josh you have a very fine collection.....

You have to ask yourself if you want another sport watch......

If you do then Petek Nautilus or Aquanaut will be your best choice....

IMHO you need a dress watch & it can be pass as a casual watch, the Petek 5146 is the one...

Old 13 October 2017, 12:13 PM   #23
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nice watch collection brother Stephen.....

Brother Stephen, how is the demand on the Patek 5146 in Japan & in Asia....??

What the cost in Japan (Yen) new vs preowned....??..

Thanks.....

Old 13 October 2017, 12:41 PM   #24
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Josh you have a very fine collection.....

You have to ask yourself if you want another sport watch......

If you do then Petek Nautilus or Aquanaut will be your best choice....

IMHO you need a dress watch & it can be pass as a casual watch, the Petek 5146 is the one...

Thank you!
You're probably right that a dressier watch would be a good addition. I don't think I could turn down the opportunity when I get the call for the 5712 but who knows when that will be. Perhaps I should look into the 5146 sooner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 13 October 2017, 03:12 PM   #25
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice watch collection brother Stephen.....

Brother Stephen, how is the demand on the Patek 5146 in Japan & in Asia....??

What the cost in Japan (Yen) new vs preowned....??..

Thanks.....
Thanks. The 5146 is not in really high demand in Japan at the moment. If you buy from a grey dealer, you can buy a new one for around 3.76 M JPY (that's about $33,000 USD considering the current exchange rate) and used seem to be going for around 3.3 M. Retail is around 4.67 M. Exchange rate is very favorable to buy in Japan right now.
Old 13 October 2017, 03:44 PM   #26
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks. I also like your collection, varied pieces and colors and you’ve got your SS sports watches covered. I think a Patek dress watch on a leather strap would add another level. Could be an AC or even a Calatrava would go very well.

Old 13 October 2017, 04:37 PM   #27
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
I loved the Nautilus since I was a very early teenager. So the 5711 for the obvious choice as my 1st Patek. The 96 Calatrava always got me thinking so the 5186 was my next.
Although Patek has great complications, I find that the 5711 and the simple Calatrava perfectly adequate for a Patek collection so far

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Old 14 October 2017, 09:53 AM   #28
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. The 5146 is not in really high demand in Japan at the moment. If you buy from a grey dealer, you can buy a new one for around 3.76 M JPY (that's about $33,000 USD considering the current exchange rate) and used seem to be going for around 3.3 M. Retail is around 4.67 M. Exchange rate is very favorable to buy in Japan right now.
Thanks for the information brother Stephen.....