The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 October 2020, 04:41 AM   #31
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

Hi OP, as a first and only luxury timepiece i would not go datejust. It would have to be a sport model. You mention the submariner as a 9.9, and you cant go wrong there. But they just released a new submariner, so they are difficult to obtain right now. The hype will die down; just be patient, wait a year, maybe 18 months, a regular submariner date is a classic without a doubt, but hardly the hype monsters that the daytona and BLRO and LV are. You should be able to find one relatively easily once the newness of it has died down a bit.

I know 12-18 months sounds like an eternity when you are ready, but if its not your 1st choice, then why spend the money? The datejust 41 is a beautiful watch, but if you have doubts it's probably best to pass. i'd get the sub. All day every day. If not now then eventually.
yesnaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 06:55 AM   #32
VincentM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116518-LV-CHNR-DJ-
I own a DJ41 (flutted-jubilee-blue azzurro) and a Sub date (Hulk). If I were you, I would not hesitate and choose the DJ rhodium as a one and only Rolex. The smooth bezel-oyster combination is outstanding. I even considered buying one when I saw those TRF members pics. Of course trying the watch on the wrist remains a must before buying...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
VincentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 07:12 AM   #33
Arid
"TRF" Member

If I were in your shoes I’d definitely go with the DJ as THE one watch especially as a first Rolex. From what you’ve shown in price difference between the two, it should be a no brainer!
Arid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 08:05 AM   #34
vtsakiris
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 126300
As an owner of a smooth bezel/oyster bracelet DJ41 (black dial) I can tell you that I could not be happier with my decission. Tried on both fluted bezel & jubilee bracelet on the AD but the above combo really did it for me.

Ps.: The black dial (rolex call it Sunray) you have to see it live to appreciate it, at the begining I was going for the rhodium one.
Old 28 October 2020, 08:09 AM   #35
the1maestro
"TRF" Member

Its a great choice. Smooth bezel for the win - and Rhodium is stunning!
the1maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 08:34 AM   #36
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

If you are only going to own one Rolex a Sub date is the way to go IMO. Datejust is a nice watch for someone who wears a suit every day but if you are mixing casual and beach and sport and dress and need one watch to do it all nothing is better than a Sub/date and I've had them all. I agree with calling all the dealers and waiting for one. You will get it.
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 08:49 AM   #37
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
The Rhodium dial is a subtle dial and suitable for the long term. Other more flashy dials tend to wear on me. I've got two watches in that general group; my Rhodium Yacht-Master and my Slate Daytona. Both are subtly beautiful.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 08:53 AM   #38
winst
"TRF" Member

Can a Rhodium, DJ41 126300 be a timeless daily?

Yes, if you remove all the hands.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 08:59 AM   #39
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Yup 1000%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 October 2020, 09:09 AM   #40
TTalk
Banned

You've obviously put a lot of thought into this and it sounds to me like you've come to right conclusion for you.

The DJ is timeless, an all occasion watch. The Rhodium is classy yet subdued, and the smooth/Oyster combo lends a subtle elegance. The overall package seems to fill all of your parameters.

Enjoy it in good health. You can go for the latest iteration of the Submariner in a few years.
TTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 11:14 AM   #41
warheel
"TRF" Member

This is a great thread for my first post, as I tried on a DJ41/Rhodium/oyster/fluted bezel today.

I want a Sub. I almost bought one >10 years ago but didn’t. In July I started looking again and of course found out there were none to be had without going grey, as I have no history anywhere. I tried on a used one before the new ones were released and fell in love with it, but wanted a 2020 model.

On one recent visit I tried on a new TT Sky Dweller. To my surprise the fluted bezel looked better on my wrist than I thought it would as I am not a flashy guy. Today I stopped at another AD and asked about a Sub and got the usual allocated response. They had a DJ41/Rhodium/Oyster with a fluted bezel and I asked to try it on. It looked better on my wrist than in the case, but mentioned I still thought I wanted the smooth bezel. The SA said I could order one and probably get it by Christmas.

The rhodium looked good against my light to medium olive skin tone. The 41 mm was perfect for my wrist size. After I left I was sold on the fluted bezel, as stated before the light really catches it and makes it pop.

My point is you should try one on and see what you think. In all honesty I liked it enough to buy it if I haven’t seen so many Sub incomings without prior history. I’m not in a huge market so I’m going to hold out until next spring hoping I get a call for a Sub.
warheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 01:04 PM   #42
Soultime
"TRF" Member

I think your choice and rationale is spot on.

The DJ is a lot more comfortable as a daily than a Sub due to weight and size.
Since I gut my Rhodium DJ (albeit on Jubilee) nearly 2 years ago, my BLNR hardly gets worn.

I love the rhodium DJ.

All options and colours for the DJ41 are good imo.

But for a daily, I am happy with my combination, as its less dressy with the smooth bezel than fluted. And the jubilee is more comfortable and shows scratches less than the Oyster (but you can swap bracelets later if needed anyway).

Your worries about the dial are unfounded. It's a great colour and easy to read.

Go buy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181210_094722_crop_900x1200-768x1024.jpg (265.6 KB, 98 views)
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 01:10 PM   #43
AlvaroRivas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex gmt
This is the 2 watch collection I want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlvaroRivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 01:15 PM   #44
BLT2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTalk View Post
You've obviously put a lot of thought into this and it sounds to me like you've come to right conclusion for you.

The DJ is timeless, an all occasion watch. The Rhodium is classy yet subdued, and the smooth/Oyster combo lends a subtle elegance. The overall package seems to fill all of your parameters.

Enjoy it in good health. You can go for the latest iteration of the Submariner in a few years.
Thanks. I'm starting to be a bit more flexible in my thinking and will probably go with the DJ and buy something perhaps a bit more exciting for the weekends when I get a bit older and have even more extra cash laying around. I do think if I go for a simple dark dialed Datejust, especially smooth/oyster combo, I think getting a Submariner as a second watch would be a bit boring and at the rate I'm going, by the time I go for a second I'll have enough money to buy something really interesting like a Daytona or Royal Oak, where I'd be trading the versatility of a date or water resistance needed in my daily beater for a part time heavy hitter.

Still not sure about rhodium. If I don't like it when it arrives I may ask for a blue or black as an alternative. Really depends on how it works with my skin tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultime View Post
I think your choice and rationale is spot on.

The DJ is a lot more comfortable as a daily than a Sub due to weight and size.
Since I gut my Rhodium DJ (albeit on Jubilee) nearly 2 years ago, my BLNR hardly gets worn.

I love the rhodium DJ.

All options and colours for the DJ41 are good imo.

But for a daily, I am happy with my combination, as its less dressy with the smooth bezel than fluted. And the jubilee is more comfortable and shows scratches less than the Oyster (but you can swap bracelets later if needed anyway).

Your worries about the dial are unfounded. It's a great colour and easy to read.

Go buy!
Thanks. Great two watch collection. I do think I'm leaning oyster over jubilee but again it is one of many things that makes picking the watch configuration so difficult.

What is the process for swapping the bracelet? Can that be requested when you're getting your watch serviced if you pay a little extra, or are you talking about getting a bracelet on the secondary market and swapping it?

I think the oyster is the bracelet I'd prefer most of the time, but being able to break out the jubilee once in a while would be awesome. If I ever got a second watch with an oyster style bracelet though I'd definitely consider swapping.
BLT2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 01:19 PM   #45
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Purely personal tastes, but I find smooth and oyster isn't the most attractive option. With the large amount of polished surfaces it lacks any sort of texture to me. I also think the oyster makes it wear and look a lot bigger.

Jubilee is (imo) the way to go with almost every form of DJ41.

This is the time where I wheel out one of my favourite pictures (not mine) on the internet....

To me, that's the perfect DJ 41 combination. I wish my wrist could could pull this off. I'm on the fence, but it's on the larger size for me.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 01:22 PM   #46
BLT2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
To me, that's the perfect DJ 41 combination. I wish my wrist could could pull this off. I'm on the fence, but it's on the larger size for me.
That picture is probably one of the best watch pictures I've seen and what got me interested in a rhodium DJ41. But I've tried the DJ41 with a silver dial, smooth bezel and jubilee bracelet and it just didn't look right. So that turned me off of the jubilee/smooth combo, but maybe it looks better on the rhodium in person like in that photo.
BLT2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 02:02 PM   #47
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
Sounds like your 1st choice is a Sub Date.
Do not settle.
Don't get the DJ just because it is easier to get.

When you look at your Sub Date, you'll be smiling from ear to ear every time.
It'll be worth it.
Keep looking for that Sub Date... the chase is the best part.

You can always add DJ later ... or just be a one watch guy with the Sub Date.
Sub is super versatile. From beach to sports to suits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub1-800.jpg (146.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Trio.jpg (150.0 KB, 92 views)
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 05:32 PM   #48
Soultime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT2020 View Post

Thanks. Great two watch collection. I do think I'm leaning oyster over jubilee but again it is one of many things that makes picking the watch configuration so difficult.

What is the process for swapping the bracelet? Can that be requested when you're getting your watch serviced if you pay a little extra, or are you talking about getting a bracelet on the secondary market and swapping it?

I think the oyster is the bracelet I'd prefer most of the time, but being able to break out the jubilee once in a while would be awesome. If I ever got a second watch with an oyster style bracelet though I'd definitely consider swapping.
Its one of the beauties of owning the DJ41!

Because both bracelets are available as new, you can actually order the other option from your AD and swap them round whenever you feel like a change.

Another thing that makes the DJ41 better than a Sub as a daily imo- as well as being more comfortable.

Both bracelets look great and make the watch look completely different.

I just went for the Jubilee as my BLNR is an Oyster.

All DJ41 combinations look good and make the watch look very different (not my picture).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DJ 41.jpg (125.4 KB, 80 views)
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote