The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 April 2024, 12:11 PM   #1
blackscout
"TRF" Member

Need guidance with Rolex 1680

Hello All. I recently received a Rolex Submariner 1680 that was purchased new in 1979. The watch is completely original and has never been opened. The watch is in good condition overall but it does have a couple issues that I need assistance with.

The first issue is the chapter ring is off and it does not click into place. I have the original ring missing the pearl and unfortunately it has small damage where it looks like the pearl was damaged. I have a new replacement chapter ring but I don’t know where it came from. This is a difficult issue for me as I do not know what to do or how to fix this issue. The new chapter ring does not snap into place either.

The second issue is the original clasp is broken. On on of the clasp pieces the barrel on the end ( the one with two barrels on either side) is broken off. I have been told conflicting stories about this. One I can buy a new clasp from Rolex, 2 I could buy a new bracelet ( not sure how that even works with a 44 yr old watch).

The main issue for me is that the family member I received the watch from never sent it to Rolex
1 because for the first 40 yrs it never needed anything.
2 because as of the last number of years he was afraid that if he sent it in someone would switch the original movement out and that Rolex would change out parts.

As a result he got a new bracket that is not stamped rolex and I have the original bracelet in a ziplock.

As a result of all of this I was given the watch at a fair but costly amount.
I would like the opinions of those experienced in such things. All I really want is the watch repaired to it original condition. Also note that the watch still works fine and keeps excellent time.

Also of note I have the original box and receipt from 1979. I do not have “papers” as none were provided by the Original AD. I assure you I asked an if there were any other papers provided with the watch they would have been kept with the watch, box, manual and receipt that I have ( he is that kind of guy).

I really want to maintain the originality of the watch and the collectable value.
blackscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 02:01 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Replacement of the bezel and bezel insert is a bit tricky, but straightforward. Perhaps you could seek the assistance of a watchmaker to fit it back together relatively cheaply.

As to the clasp, it's just sheet metal. Most repairs can be made by welding a break back together or actually fabricating a new part. Links are a bit harder because they are a machined piece but easily found throughout the 'Net.

If you have an original receipt, then you have better "papers" than the old warranty sheet most folks refer to.
Old 28 April 2024, 02:27 AM   #3
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Would love see some images.
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 03:11 AM   #4
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Photos might help
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 03:44 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It sounds like the "original owner" is a good salesman, but full of BS. You should show photos.
Old 28 April 2024, 03:52 AM   #6
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
How did you find the seller? Anything to suggest he was completely trustworthy, and/or knew watches? 40 years is a long time to remember the complete history of a watch. Especially one that was never sent for servicing…yet, has a new bezel that won’t fit, along with a damaged old bezel that won’t fit.
Old 28 April 2024, 06:58 AM   #7
blackscout
"TRF" Member

I have good photos but I don’t have any internet photo accounts or however you get them on. Well Dan S it sounds like you’ve been burned and are jaded. I got the watch from a family member and I know the history is correct as I remember it. I have the original receipt from the AD in town and I remember little bits of all of the history. It did not matter to me as a kid but I remember I took interest in this watch close to 30 yrs ago. 40 yrs is not that long to remember the history of your own watch in my opinion. I’m not asking about authenticity, I have less than 0 doubt about this watch. What I am asking is how do I get this repaired and is there any validity in the idea that in sending it for service may lower the collectable value and potentially come back with changed out parts? As I mention the watch works fine and keeps good time. At this point the watch is never worn and just sits in a safe.
Old 28 April 2024, 07:27 AM   #8
996marty
"TRF" Member

Why don’t you just send it to a good independent? Close to your location by the border
Old 28 April 2024, 07:41 AM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I have not been burned personally, but I have some hard-won experience. I know also how to do research, and I'm not afraid to show photos to my knowledgeable friends and ask questions.

On the other hand, I see newbies coming onto the forum every week who are buying cock-and-bull stories about one-owner all-original watches. When someone comes on the forum and calls a bezel insert a "chapter ring" ... they obviously don't know much about watches.

Given that you don't seem to have a lot of experience, and also don't want us to help you, your best bet would be to send the watch to one of the highly recommended independent watchmakers often mentioned on the forum, and take their advice.
Old 28 April 2024, 09:31 AM   #10
blackscout
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the helpful advice Dan. I figured this would be the best place to ask my questions. You are correct that I am not a watch collector. I just wanted to repair this watch. I am Leary of taking it somewhere and more so of sending it away. I never asked about authenticity or for anyone to validate my watch, that is not my concern. I would love to post pictures but as I stated before I don’t actuality spend enough time on this computer to be proficient.

Sending the watch to an independent watch maker close to me is the type of advice I was looking for. I admit that I am not versed in The watch world. I know enough to be careful. I was just looking for the advice of people that deal with these watches regularly. I did not know if sending the watch to Rolex was the best idea so I asked.

At one time a sub was the ultimate cool watch. Seems now, like so many things, it has been relegated to purview of the type of folks I avoid.

Anyway this watch can sit in the safe and my son can deal with it. That’s were it was going to go fixed or not. Friendly group you have here. I’ll show myself to the door.
Old 28 April 2024, 09:46 AM   #11
blackscout
"TRF" Member

I am just unsure about sending a watch through the mail. I am by the border but the closest city is about 4 1/2 hours drive. When I called the Rolex AD I did not get a warm fuzzy feeling to go visit. One place told me to go to the another place where I could barely communicate with the staff member I was speaking to. That lead to me asking here. I think after this experience I will go to a respected independent watchmaker and get the “ bezel insert” repaired and I will just order a new clasp if possible or leave things as they are. Hopefully I can find a good independent in the Seattle area. Unless there is one in North Idaho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
Why don’t you just send it to a good independent? Close to your location by the border
Old 28 April 2024, 09:49 AM   #12
blackscout
"TRF" Member

If I had any idea how to post pictures I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1675-David View Post
Would love see some images.
Old 28 April 2024, 09:55 AM   #13
blackscout
"TRF" Member

Thank you. This is exactly the info I was after. I will do exactly that. As I don’t know about these things I was unsure if I was missing something important referred to as papers. My uncle is quite astute and knew the watchmaker well back in the day. He knows that he did not receive any other papers. It is nice to know the original receipt is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Replacement of the bezel and bezel insert is a bit tricky, but straightforward. Perhaps you could seek the assistance of a watchmaker to fit it back together relatively cheaply.

As to the clasp, it's just sheet metal. Most repairs can be made by welding a break back together or actually fabricating a new part. Links are a bit harder because they are a machined piece but easily found throughout the 'Net.

If you have an original receipt, then you have better "papers" than the old warranty sheet most folks refer to.
Old 28 April 2024, 10:33 AM   #14
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscout View Post
It seemed you posted one here 13 years ago. Was this you?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=128163
Old 28 April 2024, 10:34 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
If you hit "reply" you will have a paperclip icon in the little menu area. You can upload a picture directly from your computer as long as it meets the size requirements of the file type.
Old 28 April 2024, 11:31 AM   #16
blackscout
"TRF" Member

That is me and that was so long ago I don’t even remember that watch let alone how I posted that picture. Lol.
Old 28 April 2024, 11:50 AM   #17
studioal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Anyway this watch can sit in the safe and my son can deal with it. That’s were it was going to go fixed or not.
Well that's no way to enjoy a watch. Images can be uploaded to a number of hosting sites online.

https://imgbb.com/ is a good one. Order of operations are as follows:

Click 'Start Uploading'
Select the photos
Click green 'Upload' button
Click the 'Embed Codes' dropdown button
Select "BBCode full linked"
Copy the code/copy that populates the grey box
Go back to this thread and paste into the message box
Click 'Submit Reply'

Regarding the current state of your watch. I don't get the impression that you have anyone who has or does work on any of your watches. Given your position you have exactly 3 options. One of which you won't like.

Option 1: do nothing, keep the watch in a safe, and cease to enjoy it
Option 2: do some internet research and find the closest reputable independent watchmaker closest to you and physically deliver the watch for repair
Option 3: mail the watch to an independent

There's really no other option. If you have no choice, but to proceed with option 3 it will cost you ~$120-150 overnight it with to FedEx or UPS.
studioal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 12:58 PM   #18
blackscout
"TRF" Member

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. Clarification on reasonable options. I notice the consistency that no one has said send it to Rolex. Now I know exactly what my options are. I suspected sending it to Rolex or having the AD send it to Rolex is not a good option in this case. The good news is I think I may have figured out the picture thing. Thanks again for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioal View Post
Well that's no way to enjoy a watch. Images can be uploaded to a number of hosting sites online.

https://imgbb.com/ is a good one. Order of operations are as follows:

Click 'Start Uploading'
Select the photos
Click green 'Upload' button
Click the 'Embed Codes' dropdown button
Select "BBCode full linked"
Copy the code/copy that populates the grey box
Go back to this thread and paste into the message box
Click 'Submit Reply'

Regarding the current state of your watch. I don't get the impression that you have anyone who has or does work on any of your watches. Given your position you have exactly 3 options. One of which you won't like.

Option 1: do nothing, keep the watch in a safe, and cease to enjoy it
Option 2: do some internet research and find the closest reputable independent watchmaker closest to you and physically deliver the watch for repair
Option 3: mail the watch to an independent

There's really no other option. If you have no choice, but to proceed with option 3 it will cost you ~$120-150 overnight it with to FedEx or UPS.
Old 28 April 2024, 01:00 PM   #19
blackscout
"TRF" Member

Pics
Old 28 April 2024, 01:01 PM   #20
blackscout
"TRF" Member

A few more
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 89245FB1-57E1-4416-8D0C-1BA2269FF5B6.jpeg (29.0 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpeg F504F598-52C5-482A-A439-7C2A291D7BCB.jpeg (31.5 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpeg 712F9C7C-019E-47A6-AB77-33F69FB29AEB.jpeg (27.3 KB, 328 views)
Old 28 April 2024, 02:54 PM   #21
996marty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am just unsure about sending a watch through the mail. I am by the border but the closest city is about 4 1/2 hours drive. When I called the Rolex AD I did not get a warm fuzzy feeling to go visit. One place told me to go to the another place where I could barely communicate with the staff member I was speaking to. That lead to me asking here. I think after this experience I will go to a respected independent watchmaker and get the “ bezel insert” repaired and I will just order a new clasp if possible or leave things as they are. Hopefully I can find a good independent in the Seattle area. Unless there is one in North Idaho.
If as it looks you need to ship your watch to get it looked at sending it to one of the independents that get mentioned on the forum would be a smart idea. Even though that probably means sending it interstate and just that bit further than you probably wanted to send it. But the end results will make it worthwhile.
The other option not discussed is you could also sell it as is
Old 28 April 2024, 03:00 PM   #22
av1atic
"TRF" Member

Awful pictures OP but based on the appearance of the dial and those atrocious serial engravings, it’s not looking good.
av1atic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 03:16 PM   #23
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 03:49 PM   #24
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

We need bigger and better quality pics.

The serial sloppiness has been proven to be authentic at times but without better pics, really hard to tell.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2024, 04:31 PM   #25
blackscout
"TRF" Member

Well like I said before I did not come to authenticate the watch I know where and when it was purchased. There is 0 doubt about its authenticity. Not looking to sell just looking to get it back in shape. I have received the answers i was looking for. I will send it to a goo independent watch maker at some point. I will post better pictures for those interested. As for the it doesn’t look good comment. Lol. I would bet the watch or it’s equivalent value that it’s authentic it was never out of my uncles possession. Not even one time.
Old 28 April 2024, 11:17 PM   #26
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Hard to be sure from that photo, but it looks like the inner edge of the bezel insert may have been deliberately modified, i.e. filed down. If so, it could be a sign that either the insert or the bezel ring is aftermarket, and someone was trying to get it to fit. You'd need to have someone with experience take a close look, or to post good high-resolution photos.

One of the tabs appears to have broken off a blade of the clasp. You can sometimes find those blades on eBay, or you can buy a complete replacement clasp if you know how to identify authentic parts.
Old 29 April 2024, 01:32 AM   #27
blackscout
"TRF" Member

Better pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 870DDEAB-80D5-4538-9A39-1D12D3539961.jpeg (40.1 KB, 274 views)
Old 29 April 2024, 02:12 AM   #28
blackscout
"TRF" Member

Better pics
Old 29 April 2024, 02:18 AM   #29
blackscout
"TRF" Member

More pictures
Old 29 April 2024, 02:48 AM   #30
blackscout
"TRF" Member

Band
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2B15FEC8-F276-4D42-9D55-B0E62D27ACC6.jpeg (153.4 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpeg B30B4AE1-55ED-4ABF-9459-68BC74D2B28E.jpeg (145.7 KB, 263 views)