The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 November 2018, 09:46 PM   #31
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Jeff Bezos is a smart man at the rate he is going probably be the first trilllionaire.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 10:08 PM   #32
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I'm torn. On the one hand I love Amazon and use it frequently.

But on the other hand, companies getting too big and powerful is rarely good in the overall picture. It started with Walmart coming into towns and decimating the downtown businesses and eventually turning many into virtual ghost towns. Then the supposed job creation was all minimum wages. On top of that all the profit left town as opposed to being circulated throughout the town as it was previously.

Amazon now carries on the same type of enterprise only online and delivery companies.

I don't understand the long term economics of one company becoming so powerful and I sort of fear what is on the horizon with them.

As for where the warehouses are located it doesn't affect me but I doubt the jobs are much more than minimum wage.
You forgot to mention Walmart's hugely negative impact on the good paying jobs in America. The fact that they had such a huge influence on driving prices down so low that manufacturers in the US couldn't possibly produce the cheap goods Walmart was selling. As such so many goods that were now being sourced from China. Walmart may not have been the only reason but they largely contributed to this problem.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote