The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 November 2018, 07:17 AM   #1
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Looking for suggestions. Nikon/DSLR lens choice

Currently have a very modest setup I bought very cheap. It works fine for me, but I struggle with the longer end. Camera is a Nikon D3300. Only 2 lenses I have are a 35mm f/1.8 and a Sigma 17-70mm C.

I'm not looking to spend much on upgrading, but I'm thinking of selling the Sigma and getting something like a 24-120mm or something similar. Anyone have experience with the Nikon version or maybe the Sigma 24-105mm? I usually buy my gear used as well.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 07:58 AM   #2
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
I typically go for the fastest lens I can afford. Prime lenses are less expensive than zooms and you can get a much better quality lens for less than a comparable zoom (assuming you typically only use one end of the range of the zoom lens). If you need to zoom in, you can always move closer to your subject.

For me it is typical that I have a tough time getting enough of the shot into the frame of the picture but all that disappeared when I bought my first full frame sensor digital camera.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 08:01 AM   #3
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
I typically go for the fastest lens I can afford. Prime lenses are less expensive than zooms and you can get a much better quality lens for less than a comparable zoom (assuming you typically only use one end of the range of the zoom lens).
I typically go that route. I've have setups with nothing but primes. But, I don't care to switch lenses now with 3 kids and a smaller camera budget. I already hardly put the 35mm on right now, unless I'm indoors. To replace the 17-70mm with a prime under 100mm and another over 100mm would be a bit pricey too.
Old 10 November 2018, 10:06 AM   #4
Cryten
"TRF" Member

The best DX lens Nikon made is the 18-200. Its short enough on the short end, long enough on the long end and fast enough for most situations.

If you're going second hand, the VR-I has the same optics as the VR-II and is just as capable but at a lower price point (and the VR-II's zoom lock really isn't necessary)

I've shot most of what Nikon has to offer and for DX, the 18-200 is the only lens I recommend.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 11:01 AM   #5
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
The best DX lens Nikon made is the 18-200. Its short enough on the short end, long enough on the long end and fast enough for most situations.

If you're going second hand, the VR-I has the same optics as the VR-II and is just as capable but at a lower price point (and the VR-II's zoom lock really isn't necessary)

I've shot most of what Nikon has to offer and for DX, the 18-200 is the only lens I recommend.
Interesting. Coming from Canon, I pretty much wrote off the all in one zooms. I may have to give the 18-200 a try.
Old 11 November 2018, 12:39 AM   #6
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:

Did some surfing on youtube last night. What do you think about the 18-300mm? Very interesting reviews there. I was surprised.
Old 11 November 2018, 12:56 AM   #7
Travelair007
"TRF" Member

What is the intended use? That’ll help me help you. I get all my used gear on Fredmiranda... great site and sellers. Similar to TRF
Travelair007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 01:02 AM   #8
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
I typically go that route. I've have setups with nothing but primes. But, I don't care to switch lenses now with 3 kids and a smaller camera budget. I already hardly put the 35mm on right now, unless I'm indoors. To replace the 17-70mm with a prime under 100mm and another over 100mm would be a bit pricey too.
I’m a Canon guy and a 17-40mm lens sits on my 6D most of the time. A 50mm f/1.4 gets some occasional use too. You didn’t really say what your intended use was or what your range of shooting is though so it is hard to make a recommendation without more info. Are you shooting indoors or out? Action shots or stills? What kind of lighting, etc.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 01:11 AM   #9
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
I’m a Canon guy and a 17-40mm lens sits on my 6D most of the time. A 50mm f/1.4 gets some occasional use too. You didn’t really say what your intended use was or what your range of shooting is though so it is hard to make a recommendation without more info. Are you shooting indoors or out? Action shots or stills? What kind of lighting, etc.
Mostly for combining a long lens and my walk around. Or at least coming in after my 35mm on focal length. Instead of having 3-4 lenses to worry about changing.

Currently I use the Sigma for some light macro stuff for work. Watch parts and watches. So, it does come in handy there. But, I also use it as my walk around on outings. Waterfalls, landscapes, the kids. But, when we're out and something is far off, the 70mm just isn't anywhere near enough.

I didn't realize until looking into the 18-200 and the 18-300, but they seem to be pretty solid choices that can fill all my needs in one lens. Not bad.
Old 11 November 2018, 01:39 AM   #10
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Did some surfing on youtube last night. What do you think about the 18-300mm? Very interesting reviews there. I was surprised.
I bought an 18-300 when it came out and sold it soon after. It was a dog.

Its bigger and heavier, which on a pro body isnt an issue, but on a 3300 it'd be akward. The gain on the long end is negligible in the real world (300 vs 200 sounds like a lot more reach.....but it really isn't)

My main gripe was focus lock in low light. I missed so many shots with that lens that the 18-200 would get easily.

I've bought the 18-200 3 times now. I'd recommend one.
Old 11 November 2018, 01:41 AM   #11
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:

Its bigger and heavier, which on a pro body isnt an issue, but on a 3300 it'd be akward. The gain on the long end is negligible in the real world (300 vs 200 sounds like a lot more reach.....but it really isn't)

My main gripe was focus lock in low light. I missed so many shots with that lens that the 18-200 would get easily.

Interesting. Whats your low light situation? Indoors?
Old 11 November 2018, 01:49 AM   #12
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Just found this article comparing 10 superzooms. The 18-200mm came out on top. Time to find one.

https://www.techradar.com/news/photo...ted-1066305/10
Old 11 November 2018, 02:13 AM   #13
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
I will say buy lenses for FX they are better and you can keep them if you upgrade. Cameras comes and goes, lenses stay.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 02:15 AM   #14
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
I will say buy lenses for FX they are better and you can keep them if you upgrade. Cameras comes and goes, lenses stay.
I would normally agree. I had Canon since 2005 and had a bunch of lenses and cycled through a handful of bodies. But, I'm pretty much set on my next camera upgrade being a mirrorless. Right now though, I'm keeping a small budget until that time comes.
Old 11 November 2018, 02:37 AM   #15
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting. Whats your low light situation? Indoors?
Any thing and everything. As an all in one travel lens you can't beat it.

I don't use flash unless I'm being creative with strobes so everything from bars, restaurants, candle light, moonlight, even fireside in the African bush.

I had one stolen (that's the joy of travelling in dodgy places) and sold the replacement when I went full frame and bought N lenses. I regretted it so much that while in NY I popped into B&H and bought another one as I still shoot DX, and thats the best DX lens I've shot.
Old 11 November 2018, 02:40 AM   #16
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Any thing and everything. As an all in one travel lens you can't beat it.

I don't use flash unless I'm being creative with strobes so everything from bars, restaurants, candle light, moonlight, even fireside in the African bush.

I had one stolen (that's the joy of travelling in dodgy places) and sold the replacement when I went full frame and bought N lenses. I regretted it so much that while in NY I popped into B&H and bought another one as I still shoot DX, and thats the best DX lens I've shot.
Thanks for your input. After reading some reviews and hearing your thoughts, it seems like a great choice. And not too bad on price pre-owned either!
Old 11 November 2018, 07:00 AM   #17
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post

I bought fast FX lenses to use with my D300 for many years, now I still use these lenses for my D850
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 03:54 AM   #18
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:

Sold my Sigma 17-70mm C with my CPL filter for $225. Placed an offer on an 18-200mm VII for $185 and they accepted it. Not bad. Can't wait to get it.
Old 18 November 2018, 09:11 AM   #19
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sold my Sigma 17-70mm C with my CPL filter for $225. Placed an offer on an 18-200mm VII for $185 and they accepted it. Not bad. Can't wait to get it.
Damn, that's a good price.

I paid retail (plus NY tax) for may last one......then the wife dropped it. The repair bill was twice what you paid.
Old 18 November 2018, 09:44 AM   #20
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Damn, that's a good price.

I paid retail (plus NY tax) for may last one......then the wife dropped it. The repair bill was twice what you paid.
Yeah I was hoping to at least break even. I actually found one locally for $150, but the sellers schedule would never line up with mine. $185 on eBay was the next best deal I found. These are used lenses though. Still, not bad.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 20 November 2018, 04:54 AM   #21
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Got it today. Did a couple test shots. 18mm and 200mm. Really great compared to the 17-70mm. Has some good weight to it, almost too much for the D3300, but well worth the compromise. Can't wait to get some real use out of it. Thanks for the recommendations guys.

18mm

200mm

18mm

200mm
Old 3 December 2018, 11:55 AM   #22
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Really liking the versatility of this lens. Shot this hand held today. Surprised at how good it turned out.

Old 4 December 2018, 11:44 AM   #23
Cryten
"TRF" Member

I'm glad your enjoying it. As a good all round lens you really can't beat it.

There is some barrel distortion as you get on all superzooms but unless you take photos of brick walls all day you won't notice it.

Ken Rockwell (.com) gives the numbers to punch into to Photoshop to cure it if its ever a problem. It's never has been for the years I shot one (or 3 of them now)
Old 4 December 2018, 11:46 AM   #24
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
I'm glad your enjoying it. As a good all round lens you really can't beat it.

There is some barrel distortion as you get on all superzooms but unless you take photos of brick walls all day you won't notice it.

Ken Rockwell (.com) gives the numbers to punch into to Photoshop to cure it if its ever a problem. It's never has been for the years I shot one (or 3 of them now)
I used Lightroom mostly. And with one click you can correct with the lens profile corrections. This lens is already loaded into the software and it actually detects it automatically. I don't even have to select it from the menu. Does the same for all the other lenses I've used before too.